Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

WRX's are fast [my 3.2 82 911 vs 2002 WRX]

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 06:31 PM
raceman77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l have a 91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 that puts out 270 hp,all wheel drive,4 wheel steering.Sleeper?you bet.This car is faster than any of my 911`s and l flog 5.0`s all day long.At the end of that day the clunk l hear as l close the car door reminds me just what l`ve been driving though...there really is no substitute.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Trust me
Instructor

I am still not totally impressed by the "new" look of the wrx-ish car. Think it will just fade away like the Brat. Remember those? Seats in the back. Sad, the only reason you remember is because they killed people.

Troy
Old 05-12-2003, 03:54 AM
SleeperWRX
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by schlag:
<strong>You like yours, we like ours. Enough.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">it was never even about that...well not on my part...

i like yours too
Old 05-12-2003, 12:31 PM
82Euro
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by SleeperWRX:
it was never even about that...well not on my part...

i like yours too [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hey sleeper, sorry to post and run off for the weekend. Didn't mean to get you bent out of shape over challenging the 0-60 in under 2 secs but come-on, that is pretty hard to believe right? Anyhow,nice pics of being airborne. Also, curious if you could get me some links to the under 2 sec stuff after seeing the quotes. I wanna learn more about this little machine and if it has been featured in any mags etc... I don't know if you will be interested in this, but I am going to put the links of the autoX that this car has finished 2nd in twice. I do not know the drivers name so I cannot pick which WRX it was. If it can do 0-60 in under 2 secs, and finished 2nd both times, I assume it would be the fastest WRX at the event.

<a href="http://www.houscca.com/solo2/results03/03REG05B.html" target="_blank">SCCA results May 4</a>

<a href="http://www.houscca.com/solo2/results03/03REG03B.html" target="_blank">March AutoX</a>
Old 05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 82Euro:
<strong>[QUOTE]I don't know if you will be interested in this, but I am going to put the links of the autoX that this car has finished 2nd in twice. I do not know the drivers name so I cannot pick which WRX it was. If it can do 0-60 in under 2 secs, and finished 2nd both times, I assume it would be the fastest WRX at the event.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">See <a href="http://www.cobbtuning.com/" target="_blank">this web page</a> for Cobb Tuning. The guy's name driving the "Conebasher" is Chris Fleming. I don't see his name in either of the regional results links that you posted, so I don't think he was at those events. He is shown in the National Tour results at <a href="http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nat_tour/2003/houston/results.html" target="_blank">this link</a> coming second in SM by .03 seconds, and winning at the Dallas Pro Solo at <a href="http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/prosolo/2003/dallas/results.html" target="_blank">this link</a>, then second again at <a href="http://autocross.com/texasregion/divisional/2003_swdiv_event2_results.pdf" target="_blank">this Texas Regional event</a>. However, his times are a couple seconds off the Z06s in SS, so I don't see how this car could be that quick, myself. 0-60 in 2 seconds is insanely fast. I'd like to see more info and specs on the car myself- there isn't anything much at the Cobb site that I can find. If it is that quick, why can't it beat a Z06?

TT
Old 05-12-2003, 04:43 PM
nut11
Intermediate

Zero to 60 in less than 2 seconds? Even with the launch control F1 cars have (use to have?), I don't think they do that kind of a number or if so, very close? Anyone else have a sense?

'85 Carrera Coupe 3.2
Old 05-12-2003, 06:59 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think under 2 seconds is possible. Even with mega hp, there is no way to get that power to the road. The tires are limited, the tranny is limited, the clutch is limited, etc. Of course, I am not a scientist so this is definitely my opinion.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:25 AM
SleeperWRX
Track Day

here's some more info by the car's turner:
"A shift into 2nd is required and this is done as a "flat-shift" allowed for by the dog-tooth gear engagement."

he states that "The 60ft trap speed is determined by radar gun." that's how they got the speed at the 60' mark.

in more recent autox's their 60 foot times were quicker...but there was no radar gun to measure speed: "At the Dallas ProSolo we did consistant 1.60 - 1.63 60' times."

I don't see why this is hard to believe...I ran 1.63 60' times in my wrx last summer when it was stock with just a homemade mbc...still on the stock re92 crap tires. The difference in speed at the 60' mark is huge tho i'm sure due to different gearing. Conebasher is an autox car so I'm sure its running some sort of slicks...hoosiers or whatever...and they're wide...and there's 4 of them putting power down...think about it.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:02 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what, pray tell, does a discussion of Japanese sedan 0-60 foot times have to do w/ 911s? no need tp reply (heuristic question) - I'll check back after this thread dies a well-deserved death.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:56 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

I think that everyone assumed you were talking about doing 0mph to 60mph in less than 2 sec. Much bigger difference.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:41 AM
jet911
Pro

Exactly - 0-60 feet in under 2 seconds, big deal... I know a guy with a horse that can do that... (well maybe -just kidding!)

In 20 years from now, lets race an '86 Carrera against a WRX, Oh wait, the WRX won't be here - she's now just a pile of rusted bolts and nuts....
Old 05-13-2003, 11:05 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

WRX vs. 951?????

re: 0-60 2 sec???...Ling. twin turbo C-5 0-60 2.9
Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 PM
SleeperWRX
Track Day

you guys can't read...0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds. 60' in 1.75 and now 1.60-1.63 with the same gearing. At the 60' mark the car traps 57mph. Add a tenth or so for the other 3mph and you have 0-60 in 1.8-1.9 seconds.

I only brought this wrx up because someone made the dumb remark that a wrx could never beat a 911 regardless of mods... You never say regardless of mods...there's a school bus that can probably beat all of your cars down the 1/4 mile, and there's a stock looking doge caravan that will do the same. I was just making a point.

and to these moronic remarks:
"In 20 years from now, lets race an '86 Carrera against a WRX, Oh wait, the WRX won't be here - she's now just a pile of rusted bolts and nuts...."
So to make a fair comparison I'm sure your carrera is driven every day all winter through snow, ice, and salt...and has been since '86...right?
Old 05-13-2003, 12:15 PM
SleeperWRX
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adscab911:
<strong>I don't think under 2 seconds is possible. Even with mega hp, there is no way to get that power to the road. The tires are limited, the tranny is limited, the clutch is limited, etc. Of course, I am not a scientist so this is definitely my opinion.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">2wd funny cars do 0-60mph in 0.5 seconds. tell them they can't get power to the road...
Old 05-13-2003, 12:34 PM
jet911
Pro

Sleeper,
Moronic? What's the matter little boy, truth hurts? So now you're getting frustrated and pushing the thread toward name calling and insults?

I respect my car and will be driving her 30 years from now - yep at 82. With 80k miles and 17 years on her, she is in showroom condition and I have no doubt that in 30 years with 220K plus miles, she'll still be running strong. No WRX will ever compare, no matter how hard you want too...even if you compare todays technology against that of 17 years ago, guess who wins in the long run...I'll give you a clue whiz kid, NOT YOU! Beauty, lines and class always prevail, of which it appears you have none!

Actually I have a pal with an '80 SC Coupe that he uses as a daily driver and has for 23 years (original owner). She has over 273K miles, no engine rebuild yet, only two clutch replacements and still has original paint in beautiful condition. The car IS driven in snow, rain, salt, heat and cold. It has been well taken care of with no rust. There are many, many of these examples everywhere (unlike Subarus - where if you are lucky enough to find one, it is totally rusted out), and if you did a bit of research instead of flapping your yap about 60 this and 60 that, you'd find that in Bruce Anderson's book he sites examples with 350K to 500K miles on 911s and STILL have not had rebuilds and are in excellent condition. Also, where was the last auction that a Subaru was auctioned off for $150K. Now where is this 17 year old Subaru that is not a pile of bolts and nuts?

Sorry Sleeper, no way, no how can you ever in this life time, convince me that a Subaru of any model can ever be included in the same breath with a Porsche - Sorry - JMHO. BTW - I feel that all cars have a place for someone and it appears that I've found mine (Porsche - for many years) and you've found yours - Subaru!). Nothing more really needs to be said! Glad you're happy!

Geeze - next we'll see a KIA putting out ten billion horse power and running 0 - 60 (ft. or MPH - doesn't really matter) in under zero seconds. WOW!

Quick Reply: WRX's are fast [my 3.2 82 911 vs 2002 WRX]