Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911T Hot Rod Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:47 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Good looking work and matches up well. Awesome that you're able to add your own personal touches to things.
Thanks! Yes, going for something a little more unique to my car.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Great to see the personal touches. I know the RS style pulls and handles are a classic look, etc., etc., but for me the lack of even a small armrest, and the awkward RS handle and pulls just didn't work great. Went with something different but still low profile and light. To each his or her own I say.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:43 PM
myflat6
Drifting

^ very nice! I like it
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Great to see the personal touches. I know the RS style pulls and handles are a classic look, etc., etc., but for me the lack of even a small armrest, and the awkward RS handle and pulls just didn't work great. Went with something different but still low profile and light. To each his or her own I say.

Did you fab that yourself? Or is it commercially available?

Yes, I like it...
Old 01-08-2021, 04:02 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r911
Did you fab that yourself? Or is it commercially available?

Yes, I like it...
Newer picture below...source of my parts were all available.

Armrest: Big Al's Car Parts comes with blank wood so you can upholster in the material you like (I used the matching German vinyl my car has elsewhere):

Door handle: Summit Racing This involved installing a traditional latch mechanism in the door, connected to the 911 rod arm, which took a bit of work, some grinding and bending of the mechanism to get flush with the finished door cards. But it's really solid and has a nice positive action and return mechanism. The handle and mechanism are easily removed and I can install the RS style in a few minutes if I want. And guests are no longer confused about how to open the door :^)

Latch mechanism: Summit

I went with the Achtung Kraft window cranks because the door cards are now too think for stock or Rennline cranks to clear the 1/8" Dynaliner pad and Achtung Kraft thick basketweave.

I also added a mesh pocket on the driver door because there is nowhere else to throw my phone or sunglasses (and mask these days).

Old 01-08-2021, 06:31 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Some good and bad news. Bad news is that my upholstery guy said he is 4 weeks behind schedule. Ugh - this puts me 4 weeks behind.

Good news is that I think I am done with all of the electrical in the car. Was able to connect everything to where it should go. All lights work (dome, glovebox, headlights, taillights, indicators, gauges, frunk, license) which feels like a small victory. Half of this stuff wasn’t working on my car before the teardown. Still need to wire in my new driving/fog lights. Think I am going to wire them to a fog switch that will replace the defrost switch (don’t need) rather than adding another switch to the dash.

Spyerx (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 07:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Good news is you can find an upholstery guy...

BTW< I think the leather straps will darken in time - or you could oil them or dye them.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:05 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
Good news is you find an upholstery guy...

BTW< I think the leather straps will darken in time - or you could oil them or dye them.
True and he is very good. He redid my dash pad. Yes, options for the leather for sure. Cheap enough to experiment more too. We'll see how it all looks....
Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 90 Posts

Dig this as well. Like those fasteners showing like that.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:17 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Myflat6, would you mind sharing where you got the plaid upholstery for the center of your seats? Thank you.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:32 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by br911
Myflat6, would you mind sharing where you got the plaid upholstery for the center of your seats? Thank you.
Sure, It is actually Pepita. I had GTS Classics make my Sport Seats. I looked through all of their fabrics and selected this one. Doesn't seem like one of their more popular ones but I love it. It looks straight out of the 70's. Trying to use period materials where I can with my build. I love old school stuff. I even went with the 'patina' shift ****.

Last edited by myflat6; 01-09-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Very nice on electrical!
I wired my driving lights to high beams so no switch
assume the high beam and turn indicator dash lights working?
reverse? That one was an sob to fix on mine. Reverse worked with lights on only. Was a crossed wire at block
ashtray light? Yes there is one!
fan light on heater console?

here's a stupid question
did the frunk on these have 2 bulbs and lenses?
my car when i got it didn’t habe the hood harness. So i made one.
the wire was there next to the hood shock but no wires in the hood
the po had put 2 hella lenses in the hood... they worked fine once wired with a switch.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:43 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Word to the wise, pull the defroster switch and replace with the driving / fog switch before you reinstall the blower assembly. Or you have to pull it. Unless you can go through the dash speaker.

My hood lights are wired through both the high beams and a switch that lights up dimly when the highs are on but the driving lights are off, and bright when both on. A PO put the switch where the Webasto heater would have been (under the speedo), so I left it there.

@Spyerx my car had one hella under hood frunk light, but the ground was disconnected from the opening strut switch. After cracking the plastic of the light while fixing, I ordered 2 from Stoddard since the wiring was in the hood harness (both sides). Today's project.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

my car had one hella under hood frunk light, but the ground was disconnected from the opening strut switch. After cracking the plastic of the light while fixing, I ordered 2 from Stoddard since the wiring was in the hood harness (both sides). Today's project.
Gotcha. These bulbs work nice, look warm like incandescent and are brighter:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/169/

Old 01-09-2021, 11:55 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Gotcha. These bulbs work nice, look warm like incandescent and are brighter:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/169/
Thanks. Tells you something about our hobby when you realize we put so much thought into the under hood lights -- possibly the least used bulbs on the car since the parking lights at least have to be on and the hood open.

Apologies to @myflat6 if I am hijacking the thread. I love the exchange of knowledge and info. I should probably start my own thread on my work so I don't over post on yours or others. Coming from the 997 forum, every little project has its own new thread, but this single-thread-per-car works so much better in this 911 forum, like a long form history of one's car. Thanks again for sparking such great convo on a great build.
Spyerx (01-09-2021)

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build