Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911T Hot Rod Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 05:39 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Been working on the car a little everyday. Going pretty well so far. Been a while since I posted an update, so here you go.

- I have replaced all the hard brake lines, including the one in the tunnel.
- Replaced all the fuel lines as well.
- Replaced the throttle rod bushings in the tunnel and shift rod bushing.

- Ran all new oil lines including new Elephant Racing finned oil lines.
- Installed my 18mm hollow front sway bar and strut camber plates using Elephant Racing bushings.

I have installed all of the trim (S deco), including properly riveting the the caps instead of using screws.

I have done a lot more including finishing the motor - will get more photos added soon.

Last edited by myflat6; 11-15-2020 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spyerx (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

You decided to not move the fuel pump up near the tank? That would shift some wt. also help with thermal issues.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:51 PM
myflat6
Drifting

No, decided to keep stock layout - even though it is also a difficult spot for welding the rear sway bar mount.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
No, decided to keep stock layout - even though it is also a difficult spot for welding the rear sway bar mount.
am I looking right, your sway bar mounts are already welded in right?

I think this is one change you might want to consider while the car is all apart... it will be a bit of work now but...

The car is looking great.

On your front radiator did you install that yet? You will want to ensure you have the mounting fitment well sorted with wheels on the car at adjusted ride height, checking clearance and full lock before mounting the cooler brackets. On mine, we had to customize the lower bracket, and, custom make 2 top hoses due to the angle needed to clear the tire at full lock with the guard, etc mounted.

Oh, and the elephant kit, it's good, but those side hose brackets, they are not well coated. I need to pull mine and re-powder coat them. road rash has already blasted mine. and I only have a few k miles...

Last edited by Spyerx; 11-16-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:19 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Yep - my guy wasn't happy with me about the welding in that spot - but it is done now. I had debated making the change before he did the welding. This is going to have to be a mod that I live without. I am starting to run low on energy I really want to bring this 2 year nut and bolt restoration to an end and start driving this thing! The lines from the pump to the MFI console are unique and expensive (some sections are steel hard lines) and I replaced those and was concerned with the necessary mods. I will tell you this - I know so much about this car now, having touched virtually every part. I am now dealing with wiring nightmares - my worst fear anyone dealt with the dome light harness that runs through the A-pillar??
Old 11-16-2020, 06:23 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Good to know about the front cooler and the brackets. I will also say that one of the oil lines (outer) was a tad too short and difficult to fit - was surprised given the quality of Elephant products.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

tell Chuck - he's good about upgrades

I didn't move my fuel pump to the front either - due to sloth I guess
Old 11-16-2020, 07:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I am now dealing with wiring nightmares - my worst fear anyone dealt with the dome light harness that runs through the A-pillar??
what's the issue? wire fell through? offer is open if you want to poke around on mine... :-)

Originally Posted by r911
tell Chuck - he's good about upgrades
I didn't move my fuel pump to the front either - due to sloth I guess
Good to know about the front cooler and the brackets. I will also say that one of the oil lines (outer) was a tad too short and difficult to fit - was surprised given the quality of Elephant products.
Yeah they are good, very responsive... I think some of this is just the aspect of not every car is totally identical on setup, etc.... I expect some tweaks on these things, nothing is really plug and play.... on my car, the rear lines, the thermostat, and hard lines all were OK, the front lines were funky due to placement of radiator and fitment...

Last edited by Spyerx; 11-16-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

BTW, how were the hard brake lines? I never pulled mine out (1973.5) since there was no* rust on the car.

*no meaning none except between the leading edge of the fender where it meets the unit body
Old 11-16-2020, 10:27 PM
myflat6
Drifting

[quote=Spyerx]what's the issue? wire fell through? offer is open if you want to poke around on mine... :-)

I found that the wires coming down the passenger a-pillar for the dome light were cut short. I am guessing by the sheetmetal repair shop as they did have to cut and weld for rust repair in that area. Still not happy that someone cut the wires. Anyway, I had to pull the wires out (luckily new headliner was not installed yet) splice an extension, then fish them back through the pillar into the frunk. Appreciate the offer for looking at your car! I still might need to!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:32 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
BTW, how were the hard brake lines? I never pulled mine out (1973.5) since there was no* rust on the car.

*no meaning none except between the leading edge of the fender where it meets the unit body
Actually, the line in the tunnel was in good shape. Once I got it out I was surprised in the condition. Have have heard stories of getting pin hole leaks in that line and this is the time to do it since in needs to come out the back of the tunnel and is quite long. Not sure if this could be done with the tans/motor in the car.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 272 Posts

Looking really good! Well done!
speaking of getting fatigued, I have not worked on mine due to other priorities. My project has been going for 10 years!

What are the theories and recommendations regarding the fuel pump and the location? I can do whatever I want since I am not building mine as stock.
(I will have Webers on my engine)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:17 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
Looking really good! Well done!
speaking of getting fatigued, I have not worked on mine due to other priorities. My project has been going for 10 years!

What are the theories and recommendations regarding the fuel pump and the location? I can do whatever I want since I am not building mine as stock.
(I will have Webers on my engine)
A little weight shift and moves the pump away from heat. It also can interfere with some sway brackets (aftermarket) or repairs. There could be more to it but these are the most important reasons to move it. Porsche did end up moving the pump forward with later cars.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:24 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Aluminum trim is back from refinisher. Original bright work finish was done (remove anodize, straiten, remove scratches/dings, polish, re-anodize). Leaving them wrapped up until I need them.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

you could make an unwrapping video and put it on youtube!

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build