Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 04:17 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
What ever happened to discussing using petro bond sand? It is a far better approach than the core sand IMO? I am assuming they are using a CO2 activated cold box method vs hot box baked method?
When I post the video next week you'll see the old method they were using.

As to the exact details of how they do things, I think I have said it before but I will say it again - the foundry has been in business under the same family ownership since 1946, so they really do know what they are doing. With my extremely limited casting experience, I don't normally drive the bus on exact procedures - I trust they know how to accomplish what I want. I say things like "I want a better surface finish" and they react accordingly.

Petro bond was their idea also, but he is hesitant to do too much of that because he gets complaints from the locals. Remember, this is CA where belching smoke stacks are not as accepted as they are in NJ.

There is an absolute danger in me reading things on the internet and then telling the foundry what to do. I quite frankly lack the experience to make recommendations to them about exact procedures, so, like I said, I speak to them in terms of desired outcome and trust their judgment. Great group of guys who are heavily invested in my project and want to excel.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
When I post the video next week you'll see the old method they were using.

As to the exact details of how they do things, I think I have said it before but I will say it again - the foundry has been in business under the same family ownership since 1946, so they really do know what they are doing. With my extremely limited casting experience, I don't normally drive the bus on exact procedures - I trust they know how to accomplish what I want. I say things like "I want a better surface finish" and they react accordingly.

Petro bond was their idea also, but he is hesitant to do too much of that because he gets complaints from the locals. Remember, this is CA where belching smoke stacks are not as accepted as they are in NJ.

There is an absolute danger in me reading things on the internet and then telling the foundry what to do. I quite frankly lack the experience to make recommendations to them about exact procedures, so, like I said, I speak to them in terms of desired outcome and trust their judgment. Great group of guys who are heavily invested in my project and want to excel.
From experience I find that years in business means nothing in the industry. I know of some well respected foundries that are clueless and produce a decent product but are still lacking. Sand control is the most basic element and most critical aspect of the process, which I can write volumes about. The issue with Petro bond isn't the smoke as much as the smell and if they are casting small quantities isn't an issue. Manganese Bronze is a far larger issue when you are concerned with smoke.

I understand your loyalty and how hard it is to find a half decent foundry, but from first hand experience, all I can say is trusting a foundry can be a huge mistake. When you see things from my side of the fence I hate to say it I can only shake my head. I am also confused because all of the well known foundries I am aware of in Southern CA produce very little product in the US due to CA's environmental laws and have most castings made in Mexico.

I am interested in seeing what the video shows me.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Catorce
Banned

And without further ado, here is the video!

Sorry, I have no idea how to embed...
The following users liked this post:
JMELZER (01-12-2022)
Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,697 Likes on 646 Posts

And without further ado, here is the video!
Singularly, one of the most impressive things I've seen in a long time...
Spectacular.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Brings back memories. I miss the work it was always an adventure making something new.

PM sent
Old 04-02-2019, 03:45 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

those robots are very humanoid looking!!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Love the video! I spent last summer working as a Heat Treat engineer at Chrysler and I spent a few days down in the prototype foundry, reminds me of watching them pouring aluminum down there!

I still don't know anywhere near enough about casting to evaluate their process but the product looks great.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Catorce
Banned

Looks great, but will be looking a lot better in weeks to come with some refinements to that process.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 AM
Catorce
Banned

I didn't want to threadcrap this cool thread on Pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-rsr-3-6l.html

What's cool about it is that this guy is restoring / restomodding a sepia brown 911 and he builds a pretty neat garage along the way.

What is amazing about it is that he buys a smashed up 993 that has been sitting in a field for 15 years just for the motor, which he pulls from the car. The whole thing looks like it's covered in nasty oxidization and corrosion. And that's ultimately why I decided to make these cases.

No one should have to buy a smashed up car just to get the 3.6 motor out of it.
No one should have to deal with case corrosion - there is one on craigslist right now that looks like it was a coral reef for a decade.
No one should have to guess whether the motor they are pulling from a donor car is any good.

That thread basically justifies the existence of my project and shows how great a length people are going to in order to get a 3.6 engine, and frankly it's totally ridiculous. I want you to yank that 993 out of a field because you want to restore it, not because you are after it's nasty corroded engine with seized fasteners.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:00 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Exactly!

For my upcoming build, I'm planning on a Taormina case, LN cylinder barrels, Auto Verdi oil pump, Pure Performance Motorsport crankshaft, Carillo rods and pistons, Dougherty or maybe Web cams, Del West or Ferrea valves, Pauter rockers, PMO or Rothsport ITBs, Fabspeed exhaust, MoTec engine management, WEVO flywheel, SPEC clutch, and ARP fasteners; heads, cam towers and cam covers, we gotta talk about ...

At this point, I'm starting to think there's no point in buying a running donor car and tearing that down. Maybe I should just build the motor, buy a roller, and drop that in. The Taormina case makes that all possible, because that's the one part I can't just order up.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS968
Exactly!

For my upcoming build, I'm planning on a Taormina case, LN cylinder barrels, Auto Verdi oil pump, Pure Performance Motorsport crankshaft, Carillo rods and pistons, Dougherty or maybe Web cams, Del West or Ferrea valves, Pauter rockers, PMO or Rothsport ITBs, Fabspeed exhaust, MoTec engine management, WEVO flywheel, SPEC clutch, and ARP fasteners; heads, cam towers and cam covers, we gotta talk about ...

At this point, I'm starting to think there's no point in buying a running donor car and tearing that down. Maybe I should just build the motor, buy a roller, and drop that in. The Taormina case makes that all possible, because that's the one part I can't just order up.
Sounds like an expensive build. Does the Pure performance Motorsport crank come with a matched intermediate shaft?
Old 04-07-2019, 10:53 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

I don't think so. Of course, when I get to the point where I'm close to ordering parts, I'm going to have to make phone calls to all of the vendors and iron out details like that.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Catorce
Banned

No aftermarket layshafts that I am aware of. Certainly no crank manufacturer that I know of makes layshafts as well.

Layshafts are easy to check to see if they are in spec or not, and usually have very little wear. If the issue is whether the layshaft is a 0 or 1, you'll find that most out there anymore are 0 and our case is designed to 0 specs as opposed to 1 specs. If anyone has zero idea what I am talking about, just ask!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

No aftermarket layshafts that I am aware of. Certainly no crank manufacturer that I know of makes layshafts as well.

Layshafts are easy to check to see if they are in spec or not, and usually have very little wear. If the issue is whether the layshaft is a 0 or 1, you'll find that most out there anymore are 0 and our case is designed to 0 specs as opposed to 1 specs. If anyone has zero idea what I am talking about, just ask!
Where is the marking located on the Layshaft?

pete
Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Where is the marking located on the Layshaft?

pete
The marking can actually be found on the big cog on the middle of the layshaft.

Quick Reply: I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!