Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea but it works well enough. I do tend to back in to places as front lip is low and I don't want to get close to those cement blocks in parking spots with it....brrrr, scary
Very true! I managed to hit one. Freaked me out.... luckily only scratched the lip... which I have since replaced.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Which is a option that wasn't offered for the GT4... So consider yourself lucky to even have that! Oh and just to forewarn you... the resolution sucks!
New GT4 will have backup camera (at least in US) since it's the law now
Old 07-30-2017, 12:56 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bit the bullet and bought a 2016 Spyder. I cannot wait to get it. Tnx to all for the good info in this thread.

Last edited by 911dev; 07-30-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I just bite the bullet and bought a 2016 Spyder. I cannot wait to get it. Tnx to all for the good info in this thread.
Come on man ........ can't tell without showing.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Come on man ........ can't tell without showing.
I will, as soon as I get it... well after a nice drive

Only item missing is buckets, but that's okay, it has 18 way sofas and is loaded with the right options otherwise. Your spec is very cool.

I'm within 5 miles of Perimeter if you want to see it once I get it.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I will, as soon as I get it... well after a nice drive

Only item missing is buckets, but that's okay, it has 18 way sofas and is loaded with the right options otherwise. Your spec is very cool.

I'm within 5 miles of Perimeter if you want to see it once I get it.
Nice, what color? I'm south of ATL, but come north to meet car friends at times when in NYC. It's a fun car congrats.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Even if the 718 Spyder is a 4.0, how many of us fortunate enough to snag a 981 Spyder are going to want to trade up? I drove my car for a bit last night, and it was hard to imagine anything being much better. Sure, a little more power might be nice. But would 30 hp make for a dramatically improved experience? New top mechanism? If so, would you want it less of a compromise, like the 987, or more of a compromise, and a change to full power? I don't mind farting around with the buttresses on the 981, but it does bug me that they're purely for show.
In short, what changes would make it worthwhile to trade up?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:29 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Nice, what color? I'm south of ATL, but come north to meet car friends at times when in NYC. It's a fun car congrats.
white w/red/ black leather / alcantara interior. very clean 1 owner car.

tnx!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^^^ Congrats! Beautiful combo. Looking forward to your driving impressions.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

white w/red/ black leather / alcantara interior. very clean 1 owner car.

tnx!
Nice! congrats and enjoy.

Originally Posted by Selo
Even if the 718 Spyder is a 4.0, how many of us fortunate enough to snag a 981 Spyder are going to want to trade up? I drove my car for a bit last night, and it was hard to imagine anything being much better. Sure, a little more power might be nice. But would 30 hp make for a dramatically improved experience? New top mechanism? If so, would you want it less of a compromise, like the 987, or more of a compromise, and a change to full power? I don't mind farting around with the buttresses on the 981, but it does bug me that they're purely for show.
In short, what changes would make it worthwhile to trade up?
Can't think of any. I can't imagine trading this in unless the new Spyder was massively better in most areas, including the top. I wouldn't want a full powered top either.
I don't care for the 718 interior styling and this car has more than enough power (for me).
I'm guessing PDK option might sway a few folks.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Even if the 718 Spyder is a 4.0, how many of us fortunate enough to snag a 981 Spyder are going to want to trade up? I drove my car for a bit last night, and it was hard to imagine anything being much better. Sure, a little more power might be nice. But would 30 hp make for a dramatically improved experience? New top mechanism? If so, would you want it less of a compromise, like the 987, or more of a compromise, and a change to full power? In short, what changes would make it worthwhile to trade up?
Great question!

FACTORS/FEATURES THAT WOULD MAKE ME CONSIDER THE 982

1. Lighter Weight - I'm a weight fanatic so if the new car adopts greater weight-savings measures than the 981 (e.g., more spartan interior, less sound deadening material, lighter weight components, fully manual top, etc.) and comes in lighter than the 981, that would definitely pique my curiosity, but I'm not holding my breath!

2. Sexier Appearance - If the new car is better looking than the 981, that would cause me to take a look, but this is one area where I think the new car really has its work cut out. While I don't find the 718 to be unattractive by any stretch, I do find the 981 design to be sublime. I can't imagine the 982 being a "better looking" Spyder than the 981, but who knows.

3. Smaller Numbers - If the new car was made in even more limited numbers than the 981, that would appeal to me. Again, I doubt that will be the case.

4. A Second Chance to Perfect the Build - This doesn't apply to me, but I can see where a current Spyder owner who either didn't get to spec their car or did spec it but regrets certain aspects of their build, might look at the 982 as a fresh chance to "get it right." I love my build and wouldn't change a thing (except maybe passing on Bose, which isn't a big deal), but I can see how the 982 could be a welcome "do-over" for some 981 owners, and I get that.

5. Minimal Price Increase - The more satisfied you are with your existing car, the more reluctance you have to paying significantly more for something that may be just incrementally better. A big price increase on the new car would be tough to swallow given how good the current car is.

6. Return of the Dipstick and Emergency Hand Brake - Enough said (and it will never happen)

7. 987-Style/Fully Manual Roof - Where do I sign?

[Or, for Zeus, a targa-top ]

FACTORS THAT WOULD TURN ME OFF ON THE 982 SPYDER

1. Heavier car

2. Less exclusivity/made in greater numbers

3. An exterior design that doesn't match or exceed the beauty of the 981

4. Big price jump

5. Fully automatic top

6. A car that leans more luxo than "hard core"

7. Adjustable suspension/electronic dampeners

8. More power (see below)

9. More nanny driving aids/electronics

10. Overall, a less "annalog" car than the 981

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
I can't imagine trading this in unless the new Spyder was massively better in most areas, including the top. I wouldn't want a full powered top either. . . .[T]his car has more than enough power (for me).
+1

I'm with you MiHi. I don't need more power and I'm not sure I want it. We all talk about the joys of hustling, say, a Miata or low-hp car through a series of bends compared to a car with more power. I'm certainly not comparing the 981 to a Miata or suggesting by any stretch that the current Spyder is down on power. I'm just expressing a concern that adding more horses to the equation may upset the apple cart re: delicate handling, move the car out of its current power-to-weight sweet spot, and provide for a less entertaining/rewarding driving experience.

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 07-31-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I think you will be keeping your car ........Porsche always charges more, and when a car does well they will make more. Example is the GT4, but the car is not exclusive with over 2000 copies WW. Now 800 in the US small numbers, and typically the weight does increase unless you start adding carbon parts which will dramatically increase the price. Hell, when I found out the fender on my RS is 14k really makes you think about taking a turn to sharp.

I'm pretty satisfied with the 991, and try it stay out of the get the next model just because .....unless is dramatically better vs cosmetic. RS guys what a new one, and they've had the current for a year or less crazy man.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

There are only two things we can be sure of. It will perform better and it will cost more. Porsche never turns out a new generation of a car that performs worse or costs less. Everything else is speculation and/or personal preference. It is very unlikely to deviate much from the 718 styling inside and out, save for the humps and the front fascia, just like the 981 Spyder. But based on the mess they've made of the 718 GTS bumpers, it's hard to be optimistic about the styling of the 982 Spyder. Someone at Porsche design must have attended the Bangle school of design recently.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But based on the mess they've made of the 718 GTS bumpers, it's hard to be optimistic about the styling of the 982 Spyder. Someone at Porsche design must have attended the Bangle school of design recently.
Hadn't seen the spy shots until you posted, so I went to look.
Wow. Not a fan.
and Bangle.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There are only two things we can be sure of. It will perform better and it will cost more. Porsche never turns out a new generation of a car that performs worse or costs less. .............
Ditto! Expect evolutionary updates. Likely to be better in every aspects. How much better would be debatable. Besides all the virtues Nick outlined, applicable for a Spyder, one deal-breaker for me would be forced auto rev-matching. It should maintain the status quo; that is, only in Sport Plus. I despise it with passion. So, if auto rev-matching is enforced in Sport, I will be done with Porsche! Keep the 981; and, live happily ever after!

Quick Reply: Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!