Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
................I'm not so sure a Spyder breathed on by GT would be a good thing. If it results in a quantum jump in price, unusable power on the street, less compliant suspension, and a basically more track-oriented car (as GT cars are), I think I'd pass on AP's handiwork. .................... I say be careful what you wish for.
All good points, Nick. Can't argue otherwise. I have never driven a GT car; so, can't know how would that be. There are drivers who DD their GT rides. Porsche, as well know, is a master of balancing right mix of performance and everyday usability. Sure, a GT car would be more taut and highly strung. Yet, if it happens, I have no doubt, it will be one hell of an open top street ride! Very thought of it excites me! Yes, some wouldn't want such a car; but, I bet that a lot of people would jump on it.

Originally Posted by Maverick787
..............Had it been a GT car I would have not purchased, and it's a good DD if that's your choice. I wanted a car me and the wife and take long trips on with the top down. Also it's a very enjoyable ride, and by the way she hates getting into the RS ....both have LWB's.

I have a feeling you might reconsider your position if 982 Spyder turns out to be a GT car! Your wife hates the RS because of buckets, I might think. If it had Sports Plus seats, the usability would increase dramatically.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
All good points, Nick. Can't argue otherwise. I have never driven a GT car; so, can't know how would that be. There are drivers who DD their GT rides. Porsche, as well know, is a master of balancing right mix of performance and everyday usability. Sure, a GT car would be more taut and highly strung. Yet, if it happens, I have no doubt, it will be one hell of an open top street ride! Very thought of it excites me! Yes, some wouldn't want such a car; but, I bet that a lot of people would jump on it.

I have a feeling you might reconsider your position if 982 Spyder turns out to be a GT car! Your wife hates the RS because of buckets, I might think. If it had Sports Plus seats, the usability would increase dramatically.
She's likes likes the Spyder which has the same LWB's as the RS, she hates the speed of the RS and the noise. Still would pass on a Spyder GT car because on is enough. By the way Porsche has never produced a convertible GT car so I would nix that idea. If she wants a cushy ride the M4 is a convertible with nice seats. My last GT3 had sofa seats, and she would pass on some outings ......the Spyder is the right feel, and not crazy fast that can make you feel sick like the RS. Could be my driving
Old 07-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Default Only Buckets in the Pcars

Actually they feel good on my back and induces good posture.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

How different would the spyder had been if it had been a GT product just for the sake of conversation? (which topless cars never are so it's a moot point as it would never be branded as a GT product). But just for rennlist fantasy league....

The suspension compliance between the gt4 and x73 is very similar, gt4 is soft mode feels like the spyder, and the larger GT3 brakes on gt4 have more bite and fade resistance. Nothing else is different between spyder and gt4 except for chassis rigidity. Steering is tuned slightly differently. transmission, clutch, all the same. None of these affect drivability or make one feel more hardcore or more difficult in any way to "daily". They are all built on same assembly line, people don't understand how much of this is just hype and market segmentation.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 318 Posts

Spyder has one big difference to the GT4 beyond the things you listed: more options. I think many customers may prefer the Spyder because you CAN get heated/cooled seats. You CAN get parking sensors, etc... etc...
Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Suspension on my Spyder felt markedly more compliant to me than the GT4 I rode passenger in. Just a butt dyno for sure, but felt nicer to me. IMO, the X73 version that is in the Spyder is the best 'fixed' suspension I've ever felt in any Porsche, or any car for that matter. It is incredibly comfortable in normal driving, but also performs really well as the road starts curving. I'd take that suspension over any of the PASM/SPASM suspensions Porsche offers. Again, the X73 in the Spyder, not the X73 in the 981 Caymans.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I ordered a GT4, and then sold it in favor of the drop top Spyder. No doubt the Spyder is more compliant than the GT4. I finally talked my wife into driving it the other day, and she was amazed at how easy it was to drive. Her exact comment was "How can this car ride better than the 7 series?" Personally, I kind of favored the firmness of the GT4, and feel that the Spyder feels so good, and is so easy to drive sportingly, that it almost feels like cheating. That being said, I love the overall package, and especially the return to wind in hair motoring.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
the larger GT3 brakes on gt4 have more bite and fade resistance. Nothing else is different between spyder and gt4 except for chassis rigidity.
You forgot about wheels and tires. Spyder has regular Cayman/Boxster setup (235/265); GT4 has the 911 setup (245/295), on 8.5/11" wheels (vs 8.0/9.5 or 8.5/10 with turbos or technos).

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'd take that suspension over any of the PASM/SPASM suspensions Porsche offers. Again, the X73 in the Spyder, not the X73 in the 981 Caymans.
Do you know what are the exact differences? I have X73 on the GTS, and it's incredible. Yes, it's a bit firmer than my wife likes, but I wouldn't want to compromise the handling at all. Wonder if the Spyder has just softer shocks, or less aggressive everything (springs, sway bars, etc). Other than a larger engine and roof, it's just a Boxster underneath (unlike the GT4). My brother's BGTS stays in my house, so am very familiar with it, and since it also has X73, drives pretty much the same as my Cayman, but has a bit more chassis flex when pushed. Thx.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Spyder has one big difference to the GT4 beyond the things you listed: more options. I think many customers may prefer the Spyder because you CAN get heated/cooled seats. You CAN get parking sensors, etc... etc...
I'm sorry, your information is incorrect. You can also get heated seats on the spyder if you don't order the LWB, just like you can on the GT4. you cannot get cooled seats on the GT4, just like you cannot on the spyder. Seating options are identical for both cars. You also cannot get parking sensors on either car. The only major difference between the two cars is that the GT four has adjustable suspension where as the spider has passive. I'm not trying to be a dick towards your come off as obnoxious, it's just that your information is incorrect.

The truth is, Both cars essentially drive and handle the same add road speed's, where the downforce of the GT4 does not come into effect., both are very compliant and relatively comfortable cars to daily drive, and both can be tracked. The original question was people wishing for the spyder to be a GT product, and I am saying what many people here already know, that this essentially makes no difference at all with these two models.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Do you know what are the exact differences? I have X73 on the GTS, and it's incredible. Yes, it's a bit firmer than my wife likes, but I wouldn't want to compromise the handling at all.
No idea what the differences are, but the Spyder's is way better for a road car. My wife and son noticed the difference immediately upon riding in the car.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I think we can expect to see the X51 package on the 3.8L for the 718 Spyder.
Basically the 991.1 Carrera S motor in true form unlike the current detuned 375hp we have now.

I do not expect to see a 4.0L as it would appear to be too much like the current GT3 and GT3RS when it comes to the marketing dept.

A 4.0L would be sweet however.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm sorry, your information is incorrect
You are correct. What I remember from the configurator is that there were MANY more options available for the Spyder and I picked out two that were incorrect. I forgot the Spyder had the same front end as the GT4 hence no parking sensors.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

bummer. Guess that means I'm backing in everywhere since I have the reversing camera.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
bummer. Guess that means I'm backing in everywhere since I have the reversing camera.
Which is a option that wasn't offered for the GT4... So consider yourself lucky to even have that! Oh and just to forewarn you... the resolution sucks!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Which is a option that wasn't offered for the GT4... So consider yourself lucky to even have that! Oh and just to forewarn you... the resolution sucks!
Yea but it works well enough. I do tend to back in to places as front lip is low and I don't want to get close to those cement blocks in parking spots with it....brrrr, scary

Quick Reply: Porsche CEO Confirms Upcoming 718 Spyder Will Be Naturally Aspirated!