Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 09:16 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 289 Posts

Pete, nice pictures ! Now the journey begins.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:23 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Pete,

It's nice to every now and then to see a guy jump up and do exactly what he wants and likes.

Sir the Red Interior simply to me JUMPS and looks AWESOME.

From what I have read your going to have some Really-really Fun and Exciting times with your Custom-Build.

Congratulations Sir,
Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
IL_Pete (08-17-2023), UncleDude (08-17-2023), wdr911 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 12:51 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Congratulations, looking forward to your build progress and adventures!
IL_Pete (08-17-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 04:15 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks great!

Did you order the HVAC panel in leather or does it come standard? I don’t see that option on the build sheet
IL_Pete (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 08:36 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Looks great!

Did you order the HVAC panel in leather or does it come standard? I don’t see that option on the build sheet
Thank you!

That is a custom option. I believe it is still in the configurator. I have done that in my GT4 in Black. Even it Black it looked nice in Leather versus the Plastic. But with the Red, I like it even more.

Here is the full spec:

As I said, I got a little carried away with the Leather Bits perhaps, but after owning the Boxster 25 and loving that interior, I felt it would be worth it - as the Leather Bordeaux Red parts look better than the Plastic ones.

This is my "YOLO" / "Last Hurrah" GTS 4.0 Spec.
tigerhonaker (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 09:56 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Even with Porsche’s extensive option list, you didn’t leave very many unchecked 😂 Enjoy!! Looking forward to the finished GTS/4 Touring ​​​​​​ when it is done.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
IL_Pete (08-20-2023), wdr911 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:27 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Update:

The car will likely get transported this week from the Dealer in LA to Deman Motorsport - a long trip!

I really don't want to experience this car with the stock shifter or the stock exhaust - been there and done that, prefer not to do so again. So given that, I am going to ship the first round of Mods to Rick and team, and have them install them along with doing the 2-5 Gear Ratio mod. That way when I get the car, the "first phase" of the build with be compete.

Here is the list for Phase One with the Deman work:
  • Exhaust/Performance
    • Deman 2-5 Gearing Mod
    • Kline Inconel Exhaust and OAPs
    • Soul Street Headers
    • BMC Air Filters
  • Interior
    • T-Design9 Memory Module (Steering Wheel/Sport Chrono **** Version)
    • Porsche OEM GT4 Short Shifter
    • Shift **** - Raceseng Weighted ****
    • T-Design9 Cupholder
    • Rennline Phone Mount
  • Exterior
    • New Wind Diffusers
    • Clear Side Markers
  • Suspension
    • DSC Controller
When I get the car home in a few weeks, I will drive it a little to check it out, and then drop it off for PPF and Ceramic, where I will also get the rear spoiler installed. The car will get a whole body PPF and Ceramic, except for the Spoiler, which will need to cure. After 60 days of the paint curing, then I will circle back and get the NR Auto GT4 Front Bumper and the Side Vents installed, and then those parts PPF'ed and Ceramic'ed.

Also I will switch the wheels and tires to the 19" HREs and the 255 Front / 285 Rear Michelin PS4S's at that time.

The suspension will be a later phase, I will likely do that in the fall. I am leaning towards the TPC Racing version of the Tractive Coilovers, and then using the DSC to control the coilovers, and add TPC Offset Rear Toe Links. I would set the car up with a -30mm Ride Height like the GT4 (Sport PASM is -20mm, so a 10mm drop), and set up with the TPC Racing 50% Track / 50% Street settings (2.5 Degrees Front Camber, 2.0 Degrees Rear Camber). I had the 75% Track / 25% Street set up on the GT4 last year (2.7 Degrees Front Camber, 2.3 Degrees Rear Camber). (For comparison, my Cayman R Race Car has JRZ RS 2-Way Coilovers and is set up to 3.5 Degrees of Front Camber, 3.0 Degrees Rear Camber.) I liked that 75/25 setting on the street, but I don't think I need quite that much Camber for street only, so the 50/50 setup might be a good place to start for spirited street driving. The team at TPC Racing agrees. (File attached here, as a reminder as to those settings.) The TPC team will provide the DSC settings that are optimized for those Coilovers. The DSC is great, I have had it across the first two GTS's and the GT4, and it is amazing how much it improves both the ride compliance, and the performance/handling of a Sport PASM GTS 4.0 or a GT4.

These:

TPC Racing Tractive Coilovers

I may also consider Sway Bar Upgrades, but I am not sure that will be necessary. I will start with the Coilovers and take it from there.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TPC-718-Alignment-Settings.pdf (51.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by IL_Pete; 08-21-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:06 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm jealous! I have a pile of parts sitting here to do a similar build to my incoming GTS but it's just been sitting at the port in San Diego since July 3rd
Old 08-21-2023, 01:17 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi Pete,
I was reading about your planned tractive coilovers and wanted you to know that TPC is working on a kit for non-GT4 PASM cars. "We are actually in the process of developing our own spring kit that uses linear rate motorsport style springs to mimic the design on a 718 GT4. This kit includes the Swift linear rate springs, threaded tubes that slides over the OEM dampers for ride height adjustment and corner balancing, monoball front camber plates. Basically this kits converts Cayman dampers to the design of the GT4 coilovers. Part of our development includes DSC calibration file for our spring kit. Should be available in August."

I am considering going this route once they are available, keep using the dampers I already have since they have just a few miles on them. .

The following 2 users liked this post by j-dub:
IL_Pete (08-21-2023), UncleDude (08-21-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 09:33 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
I'm jealous! I have a pile of parts sitting here to do a similar build to my incoming GTS but it's just been sitting at the port in San Diego since July 3rd
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that. Good luck with that car getting released and getting to you. And good luck with the build!

Originally Posted by j-dub
Hi Pete,
I was reading about your planned tractive coilovers and wanted you to know that TPC is working on a kit for non-GT4 PASM cars. "We are actually in the process of developing our own spring kit that uses linear rate motorsport style springs to mimic the design on a 718 GT4. This kit includes the Swift linear rate springs, threaded tubes that slides over the OEM dampers for ride height adjustment and corner balancing, monoball front camber plates. Basically this kits converts Cayman dampers to the design of the GT4 coilovers. Part of our development includes DSC calibration file for our spring kit. Should be available in August."

I am considering going this route once they are available, keep using the dampers I already have since they have just a few miles on them. .
Thanks for the heads-up! I will inquire with them about that.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:29 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

So I dropped off the parts to be painted to my PPF guys - the Front Bumper Kit, the Side Vents and the Spoiler.

For the first time I unwrapped the Front Bumper and checked it out. The PPF guys were impressed that it looked like a high quality design, and I agreed.

Another note - we discussed drilling out the bumper for the 4 Front Park Assist / Park Distance Control (sometimes referred to as "PDC", although I think the Porsche term is Park Assist).

In looking at Pics of my GT Silver GT4, that had Park Assist sensors on the Rear, but NOT on the front! That made me think about not drilling them out, just leaving them under the bumper and coding them out to not give alarms every time you start the car. I think that would be a cleaner look for the front bumper.

(Wing removed for "GT4 Touring" vibe. Dang! My HRE's are going to look great on this car.)

I did some research, it appears than can indeed be coded:

Originally Posted by 718socal
IMO, I would not disable them. If you want to test this, replace Option 638 with 637 then Auto Code PCM and BCM Hinten. That should disable the Front Parking Aid alerts. Another way could be to adjust the distance when they trigger the beeping sound for each front sensor. Good luck

From this thread:

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request

(Thank you @718socal !)
Old 08-22-2023, 05:31 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, this is my biggest dilemma/decision about installing the GT4 front bumper. I did check with my SA and he did verify that GT4’s and Spyder’s do NOT have the parking sensors in any of the models. I think that I would prefer to have them if possible but I don’t want to drill holes in a new bumper only to find out that the sensors are not going to attach properly or create another problem. In talking to NR Auto and Flat 6, they both thought that it was doable after drilling the holes but neither one had done it themselves.

Since you have seen the GT4 bumper, what are your thoughts about having the sensors shoot through the radiator grills instead of the bumper? Does the bumper look flat enough inside to come up with a way to attach the sensors so that they work properly and don’t fall off? Is there any information/instructions in the box about how to attach the sensors? My GT4 bumper is still on back order.

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-22-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:49 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Pete, this is my biggest dilemma/decision about installing the GT4 front bumper. I did check with my SA and he did verify that GT4’s and Spyder’s do NOT have the parking sensors in any of the models. I think that I would prefer to have them if possible but I don’t want to drill holes in a new bumper only to find out that the sensors are not going to attach properly or create another problem. In talking to NR Auto and Flat 6, they both thought that it was doable after drilling the holes but neither one had done it themselves.

Since you have seen the GT4 bumper, what are your thoughts about having the sensors shoot through the radiator grills instead of the bumper? Does the bumper look flat enough inside to come up with a way to attach the sensors so that they work properly and don’t fall off? Is there any information/instructions in the box about how to attach the sensors? My GT4 bumper is still on back order.
I don't think that would work, with regards to putting them behind the radiator grills. First, I don't think the wiring would be long enough to relocate them. Second, I think the sensors are too big, they would detect the radiators and alarm. The instructions say nothing about the sensors.

I think it would work fine in drilling the holes, but that makes me nervous that it wouldn't be perfect.

As I said, I plan to just not cut the holes, leave the sensors inside the GT4 bumper, and get them coded out to disable them so I don't get alarms.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:35 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

That might be the best way to go instead of taking a chance with drilling holes in a brand new bumper and hoping that everything works right. I have not been able to find an installation kit to attach Porsche sensors to new Porsche bumpers.

This is scary to watch:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Z&opi=89978449

I did find this thread for 981 GT4 bumper conversion which has some good information:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b&opi=89978449

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-22-2023 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
IL_Pete (08-22-2023), wdr911 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 11:07 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

There's some good info here on 718forum.

They have the GT4 style front bumper with the parking sensors working (plus other useful good to know stuff):

https://www.718forum.com/threads/gt4...-3#post-358365
IL_Pete (08-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project