Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Thanks, I had to look up what a PIWIS actually was. Now I know to check around and see if any PCA members near me might have one that I can use. How hard are they to learn how to use?
PIWIS is s/w (Windows - actually Java based) along with an OBD-II dongle to connect the PC to the car - its not a matter of how hard is it to learn, its a matter of how hard is it to obtain one
Old 09-19-2023, 06:47 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Pete, I am glad that your car is on its way back to you and that the DeMan work sounds incredible. I’m still waiting for my NR Auto GT4 bumper to arrive at Flat 6 Motorsports. I did speak with Billy and Jon at Flat 6 and we are discussing them doing the bumper installation on my car when it arrives. We are hashing it out. I did receive the OEM side scoops and the Frog Venom GT4 rear spoiler. I did do the BMC air filter while waiting. Looking forward to following your progress.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
IL_Pete (09-20-2023), wdr911 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 07:14 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

So I got the car last night!

I am very impressed and happy with it! It arrived to the Dealer August 16, got to me September 20, that was a tough wait. But worth it!

I am very happy with the spec. I don't think I would change a SINGLE thing on the spec. That never happens, LOL! Usually I regret some selections a few days after the Spec Freezes, and fret about about the rest of the wait, and more once it arrives! It helps that it is GT Silver and Full Bordeaux Red, my favorite combination. I am certain now that it was the right choice for me to go GTS 4.0 versus GT4, a key part of that was the ability to do the Full Bordeaux Red Leather Interior, as well as some of the other features helpful for daily driving, and to be more stealthy on the street.

I was concerned a bit about the notion of getting the GTS 4.0 to sound as raw and visceral inside the Cabin as the GT4. I am no longer concerned about that! Taking those 2 pieces of sound deadening out under the storage compartments over the engine for sure lets more engine intake noise come into the cabin. Also the Headers increases the volume of the intake noise. I am surprised how good it sounds inside the cabin (windows up or windows down) with just the Soul Street Headers and Stock Exhaust and OAPs. Those two pieces of foam sound deadening we took out are actually pretty big, I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

I am looking forward to getting the Kline exhaust on, but that will come after the PPF and Ceramic work. I hope it doesn't get too loud or bassy with the Kline exhaust installed, with that Sound Deadening removed, I am slightly concerned about that, we shall see. I am could always experiment with putting some of it (but not all of it) back in, if so. But right now it sounds pretty good, the intake sound. The exhaust sounds decent, but not nearly as good as with the Kline Inconel Exhaust plus Headers.

The DeMan gearing is amazing! It "perfects" the car. I think the only two big flaws of the car are the stock exhaust note and the long gearing. The exhaust note is an easy fix, there are lots of options and it is a matter of finding what you like the best (which is a never-ending journey for me, LOL!). The gearing is now perfect - you shift a lot more, and the gears feel very "right" - like how the car should be stock. As you go from one gear to the next, you seem to always be in the correct/optimal rpm range for the right feel of being at the right place in the torque curve, regardless at what RPM you shifted (with the caveat that I am trying to keep it under 6K RPM during some break-in miles). And you seem to have more options in the right rpms for cruising at legal'ish speeds (which I define as up to speed limit plus 20 mph, so up to 75 mph on non-highway roads. At 50-75 MPH, you are equally comfortable in 3rd or 4th, just depends where you want to be in the RPM range.

Doing this gearing change right away with a new car has one consequence/nuance - those RPMs go by very quickly with these shorter gears, so it really makes keeping the RPMs low during break-in miles very difficult! I have already had a couple of "whoops" moments in that regard.

I think I will definitely want to do a suspension upgrade of some sort for the car, as I previously mentioned. I wanted to try it first and think about what to do there. The suspension is fine, I have owned two GTS's, and tracked one of them, so I know what it is, and what it isn't. My GT4 with a track alignment was fantastic on the street, that will be the benchmark. I have confidence I can get it there. That will be a project for the Fall/Winter. (Just getting wider wheels and tires on the car will help in the meantime, which I will do after the PPF. I didn't want to do the swap before the PPF, as the HRE's go +13mm wider at the front on each side, so it throws more stuff up on the body behind the doors, where the vents are. I know this from experience, those wheels have been on all 4 previous 4.0's.)

Overall, I am very happy with the car, and I feel like the build is going great so far, and that I will be fully successful in accomplishing what I set out to do. It was awesome to work with Rick @DeMan Motorsport on the front end of this build, getting the awesome gear ratio mod done, and getting all of my other stuff done up front as well. It was so nice to have all the little things done up when I first received the car, the GT4 Short Shifter kit, Memory Module, Phone Mount, Wind Diffusers, Tune with Valve Control, etc., so the car was 75% done by the time it got to me! I have done this enough times to know that I find it annoying to drive a stock car with the longer shifter, no memory module and the stock exhaust, and all the other little things I like to do.

I will post some more pics once I get a chance to give it a bath.

The following 11 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
baege (09-23-2023), Bearrun21 (09-22-2023), eXpensiveGears (09-23-2023), j-dub (09-21-2023), JAhmed (09-23-2023), MendraSlife (09-21-2023), mwill (09-22-2023), nintendo_usa (09-22-2023), revcon (09-25-2023), slilley (09-22-2023), tigerhonaker (09-22-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-21-2023, 07:46 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 360 Posts

Love to hear you are enjoying it. Looking forward to watching you enjoy this car

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:14 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I was concerned a bit about the notion of getting the GTS 4.0 to sound as raw and visceral inside the Cabin as the GT4. I am no longer concerned about that! Taking those 2 pieces of sound deadening out under the storage compartments over the engine for sure lets more engine intake noise come into the cabin..
Where did you remove the sound deadening from? I want to put some back in on the spyder
IL_Pete (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 06:23 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by momo360
Where did you remove the sound deadening from? I want to put some back in on the spyder
Here are pics of the two pieces of sound deadening I took out, shown here with a size 10.5 Ultra Boost for scale.

They are underneath the two storage compartments on the sides of shelf over the engine cover. They are pretty big! They are made of a soft foam, and vary in thickness in different spots, as they are molded to fill the space between the underside of the storage compartments and the top of the metal over the engine.

Of course the sound deadening is going to be completely different on a Boxster and Spyder, in that area.

(They got a little torn up as they were used for padding to pack the OAPs in the trunk for transport.)

Taking those out completely does let a lot of engine intake noise into the cabin. Right now it sounds great! But like I said above, I am worried that once I add the Kline Exhaust and OAPs, it might get a little loud in the Cabin. It might take some experimentation to dial that in...
Old 09-22-2023, 07:40 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 360 Posts

Is that Sound Deadening there for the GTS cars only or also the GT4?
Old 09-22-2023, 11:46 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

Video w/ sound would be nice!
Old 09-23-2023, 05:04 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, after following @mr.t0fu thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...roduction.html ) I decided to get the splitter support and GT4 impact bar that it attaches to. I ordered them this morning. They might not be needed for daily driving or street use but @mr.t0fu (Matt) said that he definitely needed them on track. I will primarily drive mine on the street but decided to do it right and add the support. I have been going back and forth with Flat 6 about installing the GT4 bumper when it arrives. Apparently you got the last GT4 bumper kit from them.

You might be able to fabricate a bracket and weld it to the GTS impact bar and be able to save some money.

Last edited by OldJedi; 09-23-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:45 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

This is what it looks like on GT cars. The cable from the splitter support going up the impact bar is right behind the grill.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:26 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Even the big dogs use them !! RS with two of them.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:35 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
Is that Sound Deadening there for the GTS cars only or also the GT4?
I am not sure, but I think those two pieces are there in the GT4 as well. The reason why I think that is because my car lets through great intake noise, but also some more miscellaneous mechanical noises that the GT4 doesn't have. I still don't know what trickery Porsche does to get that glorious cabin sound in the GT4 and Spyder, relative to the Cayman and Boxster GTS.

Originally Posted by Cyclman
Video w/ sound would be nice!
Okay, will do when I get a chance! It will be a couple of weeks. I am going to the track again tomorrow, and then the car goes in to the PPF shop Monday for a week.

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Pete, after following @mr.t0fu thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...roduction.html ) I decided to get the splitter support and GT4 impact bar that it attaches to. I ordered them this morning. They might not be needed for daily driving or street use but @mr.t0fu (Matt) said that he definitely needed them on track. I will primarily drive mine on the street but decided to do it right and add the support. I have been going back and forth with Flat 6 about installing the GT4 bumper when it arrives. Apparently you got the last GT4 bumper kit from them.

You might be able to fabricate a bracket and weld it to the GTS impact bar and be able to save some money.
Thank you! I had discovered that as well, from a Google search and a 718Forum thread. I asked Billy at Flat6 about it, and he asked the NR Auto guys about it. Neither had heard of that. I will research further, and may get that as well. I have some time, my bumper gets painted next week and has to cure for 30+ days before getting PPF'ed.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:47 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Exterior Pics, in its natural habitat, at the Race Track. Not that I will track it, I won't. But its primary job is to get me back and forth to and from the Race Track!

I absolutely love it! I wouldn't change a single thing about the spec. That never happens.

For my tastes, it does still need some of the upgraded parts, the ducktail spoiler, the side vents, etc. for what I am shooting for for the car and the build.

I did decide to get the TPC Racing Tractive Coilovers, my shop is going to order those Monday.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
j-dub (09-25-2023), JAhmed (09-23-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (09-26-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Interior Pics. I absolutely love how the interior turned out. The Boxster 25 I had was also GT Silver with the full Bordeaux Red interior, which I loved, and as I previously mentioned by 1998 Boxster and 1999 996 C2 Cab were also Silver with the full Red interiors, so I guess that is just my thing, that classic Porsche color combo.

I intentionally did a few things differently on this one. The Boxster 25 had the Brushed Aluminum Trim, which looked fantastic, but I wanted to try CF Interior Trim on this one, to break up all the red with Black instead of the Silver. Also because I really prefer the Illuminated CF Door Sills over the Illuminated SS ones. I love the way that part of it turned out!

I also checked every box with regards to the leather options - Steering Column, Seat backs, Door Sills, Climate Control Panel, Extended Dash, Extended Door and even the darn Fuse Box cover. With the Full Red interior, I think that looks amazing.

My intent with this car is to full deck it out the way I want it, and keep it a long time, for a lot of miles. So I went all out on the specs, and I am doing so on the mods as well. (What other choice do I have? They killed my favorite cars on the planet, the 718 4.0's...)

(Please pardon the clutter of the track suit in the footwell!)

The Extended Leather on the front of the dash looks nice. In the Boxster 25, that was a fairly cheap looking piece of red plastic...

The extended leather bits on the door, the two front pieces.
The following 8 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Bearrun21 (09-24-2023), JAhmed (09-23-2023), MendraSlife (09-24-2023), revcon (09-25-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (09-26-2023), slilley (09-25-2023), tigerhonaker (09-24-2023), wdr911 (09-24-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2023, 10:01 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 165 Posts

Thank you for the great set of interior pictures in perfect light; what a stunning interior.
IL_Pete (09-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project