Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 02:06 AM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

Pete,

I also wanted a GT4 with no wing and any color interior, as long as it’s NOT black. I ended up in the same place as you…with fewer leather options and no plans for upgrades…unless you build inspires me!

I think the red in this picture is more representative of the real color:

The following 2 users liked this post by GarrettGTS:
Bearrun21 (08-24-2023), IL_Pete (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:53 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by j-dub
Hi Pete,
I was reading about your planned tractive coilovers and wanted you to know that TPC is working on a kit for non-GT4 PASM cars. "We are actually in the process of developing our own spring kit that uses linear rate motorsport style springs to mimic the design on a 718 GT4. This kit includes the Swift linear rate springs, threaded tubes that slides over the OEM dampers for ride height adjustment and corner balancing, monoball front camber plates. Basically this kits converts Cayman dampers to the design of the GT4 coilovers. Part of our development includes DSC calibration file for our spring kit. Should be available in August."

I am considering going this route once they are available, keep using the dampers I already have since they have just a few miles on them. .
I did speak to Tom about this kit under development yesterday. They are doing this for the 911s and the 981 and 982 Cayman/Boxsters, for PASM cars. It will be called the "GT Spring Kit" and will take a PASM system towards the GT version in performance. It also includes a Camber Plate. Target price will be about $2,200.

They were actually doing some filming of a video for the 911 version yesterday.

He said that this kit would provide for about 75-80% of the performance of the Tractive Coilover, at a fraction of the price.

For my build and what I am trying to accomplish, he recommended either this GT Spring kit or the Tractive Coilovers, the Rear Toe Link, and to consider upgrading the Sway Bars.
The following users liked this post:
$ Short (09-19-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:56 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GarrettGTS
Pete,

I also wanted a GT4 with no wing and any color interior, as long as it’s NOT black. I ended up in the same place as you…with fewer leather options and no plans for upgrades…unless you build inspires me!

I think the red in this picture is more representative of the real color:
Looks awesome, thanks for sharing here! Yes, I think that photo is much more representative of the color of the interior, relative to the pics I posted of my car.

I remember your car and your pics. I am sure I have them saved on my computer somewhere. I had demand orders in at two dealers since the fall of 2021, I have been thinking of going down this road since then, just now getting around to doing it.

It might have been your pics that convinced me that this is the color combination I wanted, way back in 2021!
Old 08-23-2023, 10:00 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
There's some good info here on 718forum.

They have the GT4 style front bumper with the parking sensors working (plus other useful good to know stuff):

https://www.718forum.com/threads/gt4...-3#post-358365
That is a great thread! Thanks for sharing it here.

Interesting to know about that support part, I will have to keep an eye out for the stability of the front bumper and evaluate whether or not I need to add that. I will be taking the car into my shop at the track anyway for other things over time, so I can continue to do any additional mods surrounding the front bumper kit, once I get that on.
FazedChicken (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 10:03 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
There's some good info here on 718forum.

They have the GT4 style front bumper with the parking sensors working (plus other useful good to know stuff):

https://www.718forum.com/threads/gt4...-3#post-358365
Thank You! There really was a lot of good information in the thread especially if I decide to go with the sensors. The last part about the lower support for the spoiler is also helpful. I have to wait until my bumper comes in to see if that brace is included or an additional part I have to buy.
FazedChicken (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 12:12 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I did speak to Tom about this kit under development yesterday. They are doing this for the 911s and the 981 and 982 Cayman/Boxsters, for PASM cars. It will be called the "GT Spring Kit" and will take a PASM system towards the GT version in performance. It also includes a Camber Plate. Target price will be about $2,200.
Thanks for the additional details. Lots to consider here.

IL_Pete (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 05:48 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

I confirmed today that my Dealer in CA where the car is coming from will be able to code out the front sensors before the car ships. That is cool, one less thing to do when it gets here!

It might not ship until next Monday, which is a bit of a bummer. Oh well, the challenges of buying a car remotely...

Also, today I ordered Suncoast's Rear Diffuser Kit:

Suncoast GTS 4.0 GT4 Rear Diffuser Kit

I confirmed with them first, these parts are all Porsche OEM, they just bundle all of the individual parts that you need into one kit.

So now I will have all the exterior parts needed, the Front Bumper Kit, Rear Diffuser Kit, Side Scoops and the Ducktail Spoiler.

I have got pretty much everything sorted out now except for the Suspension plans, which I am making progress on per the recent posts.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:00 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I confirmed today that my Dealer in CA where the car is coming from will be able to code out the front sensors before the car ships. That is cool, one less thing to do when it gets here!

It might not ship until next Monday, which is a bit of a bummer. Oh well, the challenges of buying a car remotely...

Also, today I ordered Suncoast's Rear Diffuser Kit:

Suncoast GTS 4.0 GT4 Rear Diffuser Kit

I confirmed with them first, these parts are all Porsche OEM, they just bundle all of the individual parts that you need into one kit.

So now I will have all the exterior parts needed, the Front Bumper Kit, Rear Diffuser Kit, Side Scoops and the Ducktail Spoiler.

I have got pretty much everything sorted out now except for the Suspension plans, which I am making progress on per the recent posts.
Congrats on you new car. If you still need help with coding out the sensors let me know. I can't wait to see what you do on this car.
IL_Pete (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:13 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 718socal
Congrats on you new car. If you still need help with coding out the sensors let me know. I can't wait to see what you do on this car.
socal, does coding out the sensors require special equipment or is this something that can be done through the PCM?
Old 08-23-2023, 09:33 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
socal, does coding out the sensors require special equipment or is this something that can be done through the PCM?
You can code this with PIWIS. I don’t know if you can code this with Launch X431 or other OBD tools
Old 08-23-2023, 09:36 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 109 Posts

You ever consider the Spyder as a GT4 "Touring". I think in essence it kind of is, slightly softer damping, no ****, less aero, few additional luxury options like multifunction wheel, burmester, etc...
The following 2 users liked this post by momo360:
IL_Pete (08-24-2023), Larry Cable (09-19-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 10:02 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 718socal
You can code this with PIWIS. I don’t know if you can code this with Launch X431 or other OBD tools
Thanks, I had to look up what a PIWIS actually was. Now I know to check around and see if any PCA members near me might have one that I can use. How hard are they to learn how to use?
Old 08-24-2023, 09:29 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by momo360
You ever consider the Spyder as a GT4 "Touring". I think in essence it kind of is, slightly softer damping, no ****, less aero, few additional luxury options like multifunction wheel, burmester, etc...
Yes, absolutely! I bought one a couple of months ago, GT Silver with the Spyder Classic interior, so a similar color scheme and vibe to this one.

It didn't stick with me for a variety of reasons. Mostly I really just prefer Caymans over Boxsters and Spyders.

But agree that its Spyder is sort of a GT4 Touring.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:08 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Update - The car arrived at Deman Motorsport last Thursday. It was delayed from a transport perspective, it took longer than expected for the car to get picked up, and then longer than expected to make its way across the country. Buying from a remote dealer and having to transport is always a decent amount of extra work and time, not always fun. This is my third remote transaction in the past year. Sometimes that is what it takes to reliably get the allocations when you need them, I accept that.

But I am getting closer! The work has begun at Deman, and I hope to have it back here within a couple of weeks. Also when it gets here it will need to go get PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated, and then it will be pretty much complete - except for the Front Bumper needing to cure, and some additional suspension work to be done down the road.

The wait is tough, but thankfully I have my track time and projects there to keep me busy and focused on something. (I am getting a VBox HD2 installed this week for Data and better video, and upgrading from Hoosier R7's to Michelin Slicks, and an updated alignment along with that, for even more camber. The Cayman R is a beast already, I am excited to try it with the Slicks.) Without the track car and sessions every weekend, I would be absolutely losing my mind waiting for this street car!
Old 09-19-2023, 11:35 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

What has seemed like a really long wait is almost over! I haven't had a 718 since late April of 2023, which has seemed like an eternity. Thankfully, I have had the G87 M2 Manual to tide me over on the street. It is no 718 4.0, not nearly as special, but it is a fun car and a great daily driver. And the Cayman R Race Car for on the track, which really is my most prized possession these days.

The Cayman GTS 4.0 is done at Deman Motorsport, and transport is hopefully picking it up today.

Rick reports that the car turned out great, that we really nailed the build philosophy, a 718 4.0 like a GT4 without a wing. It has the DeMan 2-5 Gearing, the DeMan Tune (with includes Valve Control), BMC Air Filters, Soul Street Headers, some camber dialed in (as much as you can do with the Stock GTS 4.0 suspension, I will do more suspension work later). With the Tune and Headers, redline is at 8,000 rpm, and it has more HP and Torque than a stock GT4. It also has the GT4 Short Shifter and a Raceseng Weighted Shift ****, a TDesign9 Memory Module, TDesign9 Cupholder, the Rennline Phone Mount, the DSC Controller and the TPC Rear Toe Links with the Offset Inners. Also Anson Ng's Air Diffusers, per the thread here on those, and @jetfuelonly 's YouTube review on those.

Also I had them take out the large sound deadening pieces from under the side compartments, which I theorized (thanks to @gost1 's suggestion!) would let more intake noise into the cabin. Rick says that definitely hit the mark in that regard.

His comments:
  • "Car is spectacular"
  • "That intake sound is glorious"
  • "Gearing, tune, exhaust control all makes it feel every bit as strong as a GT4"
  • "The intake sounds like an RS!"
  • "It feels completely factory, in a good way"

I should have it by the end of the week. I will check it out a bit, and then next Monday it gets dropped off for a Full Body PPF and Ceramic, and the Body Parts (NR Auto GT4 Front Bumper Kit, OEM GT4 Side Vents, Frog Venom Rear Ducktail) will get painted and cure for 30 days before those go on. Quite frankly I am not very focused on that part if it anyway, I am just excited to get the car with the shortened gearing, the tune and the removed sound deadening for more intake noise inside the cabin.

There have been a couple of issues along the way. Apparently the transport driver that took it from LA to NY didn't know how to drive a manual, and fried the clutch. The clutch disk needed to be replaced, which Rick and team did. Frustrating for that to happen to a brand new car with delivery miles...

Also, my Kilne Inconel rear exhaust that I had shipped to Rick and team turned out to have a crack in it, so that was installed and then deinstalled. Thankfully, I received great customer support from both Eric and Supreme Power and Kline (Kline offers a lifetime warranty on the Inconel version), and a replacement exhaust arrives tomorrow. So I will get the Kline Inconel Exhaust and OAPs installed soon here at home. Right now it has the Soul Street Headers and the Stock OAPs and Rear Exhaust, with valve control built into the tune. So it should still sound way better than stock, especially with more intake sound coming into the cabin with the sound deadening removal.

First impressions report and more pics coming soon!
The following 11 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Bearrun21 (09-19-2023), Cyclman (09-22-2023), MendraSlife (09-20-2023), mwill (09-22-2023), nintendo_usa (09-19-2023), pirahna (09-22-2023), revcon (09-20-2023), Rick DeMan (09-20-2023), slilley (09-20-2023), tigerhonaker (09-19-2023), UncleDude (09-19-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project