Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 12:11 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
Any plans on the suspension? the car sits kind of high now
Yes, longer term. It has SPASM, so 20mm lower than a standard Cayman/Boxster, just 10mm higher than a GT4 or Spyder, not that much of a difference. I don't think it looks high. Having just owned a Spyder and a GT4 in the past year, I can tell the difference in looking at it, but I wouldn't say a SPASM GTS 4.0 "sits high". My G87 M2 on the other hand, now that sits high!

I have been spending an insane amount of money on my Race Car (4 sets of Michelin Slicks in the past 30 days to get me through to the end of the season and some new upgrades to the car). When the track closes for the Winter I will decide what (and when) I want to do for the suspension. I am not in a big hurry for that at this point, the car is pretty amazing as-is. Needs the Kline Exhaust installed next week, and my HRE wheels put on, and the initial build will be pretty much complete.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
IRM (10-05-2023), rescueswimmer (10-09-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:22 AM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Car looks great Pete! I think you will be responsible for the sales of lots of those FV rear spoilers for sure.
The bumper, I don't want to sped your money but it is something that bugs you. I think you should move forward on having it repaired.
Looking forward to the new wheels.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:31 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

I’ll share a few thoughts since I’ve followed all your other adventures!
  • I would fix those seams from the mould, those should’ve been done before painting and they will bug you - they already do, and I don’t blame you
  • Agree the ride looks high now, the GT parts and the 10mm lower ride go together, but you have plans for that I’m sure
  • I see silver body parts through your front bumper upper grille - are you missing an internal trim? I checked mine and I see no body parts for the first 6” when I shine a light in there, it is all trimmed out with black plastic.
I’m still not sure about the project as a whole, the back view with the ducktail spoiler and the side vent scoops looks great. I still can’t get with the GT front end but I certainly admire your all in approach to the project and I think you’ll get it exactly where you want it, and you’re mostly there!
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Alpha Ice (10-05-2023), IL_Pete (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:58 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Very nice.

Before dropping 10mm, try 7mm spacers or wheels with more aggressive offset + wider tires with straight sidewalls will make the car look lower too.

Definitely wouldn't live with that mould/seem issue. Get it fixed. Also, where the fender meets headlight/bumper, why did they stop short with the PPF?... it should have been wrapped over the edge.

Agree that the gearing transforms these cars. I can't stop driving mine now as far more engaging to drive with ratio change.
IL_Pete (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:07 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j-dub
Car looks great Pete! I think you will be responsible for the sales of lots of those FV rear spoilers for sure.
The bumper, I don't want to sped your money but it is something that bugs you. I think you should move forward on having it repaired.
Looking forward to the new wheels.
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I’ll share a few thoughts since I’ve followed all your other adventures!
  • I would fix those seams from the mould, those should’ve been done before painting and they will bug you - they already do, and I don’t blame you
  • Agree the ride looks high now, the GT parts and the 10mm lower ride go together, but you have plans for that I’m sure
  • I see silver body parts through your front bumper upper grille - are you missing an internal trim? I checked mine and I see no body parts for the first 6” when I shine a light in there, it is all trimmed out with black plastic.
I’m still not sure about the project as a whole, the back view with the ducktail spoiler and the side vent scoops looks great. I still can’t get with the GT front end but I certainly admire your all in approach to the project and I think you’ll get it exactly where you want it, and you’re mostly there!
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Very nice.

Before dropping 10mm, try 7mm spacers or wheels with more aggressive offset + wider tires with straight sidewalls will make the car look lower too.

Definitely wouldn't live with that mould/seem issue. Get it fixed. Also, where the fender meets headlight/bumper, why did they stop short with the PPF?... it should have been wrapped over the edge.

Agree that the gearing transforms these cars. I can't stop driving mine now as far more engaging to drive with ratio change.
Thank you for the comments - I appreciate it!

Yes, I will be addressing the issue with those lines on the top of the front bumper. After sleeping on it, I wouldn't be happy about it, and it would bother me. I am actually quite interested to see how it will look with the Ducktail and the Side Scoops, with the Stock GTS 4.0 Bumper. I am imagine I will get it set up like that within the next couple of weeks, will post some more pics.

The wider wheels and tires (which also have more offset) will help fill the wheel wells and give it a meaner stance. Even the GT4 and Spyder I had didn't quite look right to me with the stock offsets. No front spacers required for my wheels, with the offsets they come out 13 mm wider, which is a lot already. I think that will help with the perception that the suspension appears high from these pics. LOL - I debated whether or not to take these pics and post them, before getting the wider wheels and tires on.

@UncleDude - Yes, there is no black plastic trim piece included under the grille at the top. I don't love that you can see the silver parts through there. If I stick with the GT4 Bumper, I will find a solution for that. Who knows - maybe I decide to just stick with GTS 4.0 Bumper once I get that on!

Next up, the wheels. And then next week, the Kline Exhaust! I am excited about both of those. Particularly the exhaust. It's funny, when I got the car back after a week and a half at the PPF shop and went for a drive - I mostly just enjoyed driving it, and as I was driving, I was thinking "who cares what it looks like on the outside!"

Interesting side note - when the Spoiler rises at speed, you can't see the stock one in the rear view mirror. With the Frog Venom one, you can. I find that to be pretty cool! That was the case for my Albert Blue GTS 4.0 and the TWL Carbon Ducktail Spoiler as well.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-04-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:45 AM
nintendo_usa
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow this turned out looking amazing! The seams in the front bumper would bother me as well but it looks great at a distance! I might try out that Frog Venom spoiler as well now hmm...
IL_Pete (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:58 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I think it turned out great!

I love the Frog Venom Ducktail Spoiler. It looks OEM to me. Looks like a Cayman version of the Spyder Ducktail. It improves the look of the car a lot, IMO.

The Side Scoops are great too.

The Front Bumper looks very good. I have an issue with the way it was done, there were some seams from the mold that were not properly fixed when painted. To me it seems that should have been sanded and repaired before painting. it should have been disclosed.

Here are some closeup pics:

It almost looks like a seam in the PPF, but it is not. It is a seam in the plastic. I am going to talk to the PPF shop about getting it rectified. I talked to them about it a bit when I picked it up, they gave me a story about why the body shop guys left it as it was, but I don't buy it.

To get it fixed, I would likely get the stock bumper put back on, get it PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated, and then get the GT4 Bumper fixed and repainted, let it cure for 30 days, and then get it re PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated. So it would take a bit of time.

The Spoiler and Side Scoops look so darn good that I don't think I would mind it with the stock front bumper on.

What do you guys think I should do about it? I think it will bother me if I don't fix it.

I am not too upset about it, I still love the car and the build, and I am confident I will sort it out.

I took it for a drive, the car is just so amazing. That gearing mod is excellent - it really transforms the car!!
Pete,

Being 100% Honest and Serious that would drive me even more CRAZY as I am Very-very **** R.

That to me looks like CRAP buddy ..............

Terry
Old 10-04-2023, 12:26 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Who knows - maybe I decide to just stick with GTS 4.0 Bumper once I get that on!
One comment about the stock GTS bumper as I have a CGTS 4.0 as well and have spent plenty of time looking at mine. The stock center plastic is matte finish, and particularly when parked on asphalt, the center section visually goes away. I am strongly considering getting this painted gloss black. For the moment I used a product from Adams Polish that they claim is a trim enhancer, it left a lightly gloss finish to the plastic and to my eyes significantly improved the look of the front bumper. Now I can see the lip and curves.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:36 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j-dub
One comment about the stock GTS bumper as I have a CGTS 4.0 as well and have spent plenty of time looking at mine. The stock center plastic is matte finish, and particularly when parked on asphalt, the center section visually goes away. I am strongly considering getting this painted gloss black. For the moment I used a product from Adams Polish that they claim is a trim enhancer, it left a lightly gloss finish to the plastic and to my eyes significantly improved the look of the front bumper. Now I can see the lip and curves.
Thanks for that thought!

I actually have any extra one of those pieces, from when I did the Neodyme delete on the Boxster 25 last year. It was painted in a "Matte Black" to match the other trim, but it ended up being a sort of Satin Black or even a Semi-Gloss, and I thought it looked good. I could easily get it repainted a Gloss Black and try it out!

Also, I did consider ordering the new (new in 2023 I believe) option to have the Sport Design Package in Gloss Black, but I discovered that when you select that, the Headlamp Washers are Chrome, and you can't select the Headlamp Washers in Exterior Color without de-selecting the Sport Design Package in Gloss Black. That made my head hurt, so I surrendered.

Interesting though also on the Adams Polish - thanks!

Also FYI, I was told that it is a royal pain to take that part out of the bumper, it takes quite a bit of force to separate the two parts. All turned out okay the two times it was done on the Boxster 25 (to do the Neodyme delete, and to restore it to stock to trade in), but the Porsche Services guys said it was a little frightening, they thought they were going to damage the parts while trying to do it. So maybe not a DIY job, unless you are very adventurous...
Old 10-04-2023, 01:32 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Update:

I chatted with the PPF guys this morning. We have a plan.

First and foremost, I want to get the Stock Bumper back on and PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated, while I figure what I want to do about the NR Auto GT4 Bumper. That will happen within the next two weeks. (I want to get my Kline Exhaust on first.)

From there, we will take a look at having the Body Shop work on fixing the two lines on the top front of the bumper. Before repainting, I will look at the work and see how I feel about it - do I want to get the bumper resprayed, wait for it to cure, and get it reinstalled and re-PPF'ed?

There is a decision point along the way somewhere, once I get the wheels/tires, the stock bumper and the Kline Exhaust on there, how do I feel about the car at that point, and would I prefer to just stick with the stock GTS 4.0 / Sport Design Front Bumper on the car, with everything else completed?

Normally I would be fairly upset about this - oddly, I am not. I adore this car, love how the Spoiler and Side Scoops look, and driving the car is the very best of any of my 718 4.0's to-date, with the Short Gearing, and the incredible Full Bordeaux Red interior, etc. Never for a moment along the way have I regretting moving forward on this one over the GT4 Manual I also had on order, this was the right path, for my preferences.

I am very comfortable I will sort it out to my complete satisfaction, one way or another.
tigerhonaker (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 04:40 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Interesting side note - when the Spoiler rises at speed, you can't see the stock one in the rear view mirror. With the Frog Venom one, you can. I find that to be pretty cool! That was the case for my Albert Blue GTS 4.0 and the TWL Carbon Ducktail Spoiler as well.
FYI, you can code the speed at which the spoiler deploys if you want
Old 10-04-2023, 04:45 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Update:

I chatted with the PPF guys this morning. We have a plan.

First and foremost, I want to get the Stock Bumper back on and PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated, while I figure what I want to do about the NR Auto GT4 Bumper. That will happen within the next two weeks. (I want to get my Kline Exhaust on first.)

From there, we will take a look at having the Body Shop work on fixing the two lines on the top front of the bumper. Before repainting, I will look at the work and see how I feel about it - do I want to get the bumper resprayed, wait for it to cure, and get it reinstalled and re-PPF'ed?

There is a decision point along the way somewhere, once I get the wheels/tires, the stock bumper and the Kline Exhaust on there, how do I feel about the car at that point, and would I prefer to just stick with the stock GTS 4.0 / Sport Design Front Bumper on the car, with everything else completed?

Normally I would be fairly upset about this - oddly, I am not. I adore this car, love how the Spoiler and Side Scoops look, and driving the car is the very best of any of my 718 4.0's to-date, with the Short Gearing, and the incredible Full Bordeaux Red interior, etc. Never for a moment along the way have I regretting moving forward on this one over the GT4 Manual I also had on order, this was the right path, for my preferences.

I am very comfortable I will sort it out to my complete satisfaction, one way or another.
TechArt make some decent front bumpers for the GTS, somewhere in between the aggressiveness of GT4 and GTS.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
IL_Pete (10-04-2023), j-dub (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 04:48 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

If you get more shots of the spoiler raised, can you please post them. I think it has basic plastic along the bottom if I remember correctly? I'm wondering if that will look weird when it's actually up.

Also if anyone has experience with high speed testing to make sure the mounts can take the extra downforce (if any) and not break.
IL_Pete (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:07 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
TechArt make some decent front bumpers for the GTS, somewhere in between the aggressiveness of GT4 and GTS.

Thanks for posting!

That is actually the GTS Bumper, with a part that goes in just below the front trunk for the look of the vent from a GT4. With a beefier piece added to the bottom.

I considering doing that top part (I saw it on Suncoast's website), but I was too worried about the risk cutting into the bumper and having it be crooked or something.

Now that I have the car and I am going through these issues, I wish I would have just done the Spoiler and the Side Scoops, and lived with the car for a while and decided what else to do from there. When you are impatiently waiting for an ordered car, it is too easy to keep ordering parts for the car you don't have yet, to pass the time!
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Alpha Ice (10-05-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:28 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
If you get more shots of the spoiler raised, can you please post them. I think it has basic plastic along the bottom if I remember correctly? I'm wondering if that will look weird when it's actually up.

Also if anyone has experience with high speed testing to make sure the mounts can take the extra downforce (if any) and not break.
Will take some pics up, when I get a chance.

I never raise my 718 spoilers, other than when the car raises it at speed. So I don't recall exactly what they look like up, and what the hardware underneath is. Nobody ever gets to see it unless I am moving fairly quickly.

This one is very similar in size and shape to the Spyder spoiler. The Cayman and Boxster/Spyder spoilers are not compatible with other because of the shape of the hatch versus trunk, but I would bet that the hardware to raise and lower is identical between the Boxster and Spyder - the Spyder spoiler is compatible with the Boxster, and I had one on my Boxster 25. I would also bet the load spec is the same for the Boxster, Spyder and Cayman, and while the shape of the curve is different between Cayman and Boxster/Spyder, some of the hardware is likely the same. That's the way Porsche tends to do things reuse across trims when possible to be efficient.

I had the TWL Carbon Ducktail spoiler (similar in size) on my 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 for thousands of miles for many high speed runs, never any issues or concerns. You can see it in the rear view mirror when it is up. It looks as solid as a rock back there, no vibrating or flexing visible to the eye.
FazedChicken (10-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project