Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 05:28 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 858 Likes on 452 Posts

mclaren in general is not good at holding value/appreciation, even the halo cars like p1/senna don't perform well compared to their comps. Good thing about that is it attacts way less flippers & easy transaction. Just take your pick of model & comfort entry point on the depreciation curve. If I have more $$$ I'll just order new 765lt/750s but I'm not there yet. On cpo 675lt I'd say budget ~10k/yr on warranty/insurance/maintenance cost
The following users liked this post:
Drifting (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 05:46 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 858 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
How do you like the 675LT in general vs your GT3/4RS(can't recall if you have a 4RS as well)? Would be interested in hearing your review comparing driving them in the canyons and then also a general review if you think the 675LT is worth the potential headaches/depreciation/etc. I've been offered a Spider CPO for 260k with 10k miles but I'm hesitant.
I had 4rs for a few months along side my 1.2 & sold 4rs after a few months due to 6mt/my 1.2 has a great spec loaded pts car 4rs is impacted by pccb/pts stop sale so just vanilla spec/anticipation of srs. After that I got a 992 6mt which to me is my fav gt car so far (I like hero cars, cars that dont argue with you & bite you, just take whatever you throw at the car for reference).
300 miles so far on 675lt, will do a big road rally to really drive it very soon(will take 992 too). A couple of initial impressions are: great communication in terms of steering/susp feedback, tier 0 steering feel as everyone else is saying; doesn't need much warming up to it to go really fast; more speed than gt cars but not scary fast(which I imagine 765 is); very rigid body given carbon tub; susp is pretty settled (one weak spot of the 4rs); a pleasure to drive even going slow(another thing with 4rs is I only like it when driving hard, never wanted to take it out running errands/commuting). In short this car is kinda like a grown up lotus without losing much on the feel. Glad I took the leap as it's vastly different from all the past gt cars I had. For now I really like it but given the cost & upkeeps I'll make decision when 1st year warranty is up/srs arrives.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
168glhs1986 (05-20-2024), DrainsWalletsFast (05-21-2024), Manifold (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:22 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
mclaren in general is not good at holding value/appreciation, even the halo cars like p1/senna don't perform well compared to their comps. Good thing about that is it attacts way less flippers & easy transaction. Just take your pick of model & comfort entry point on the depreciation curve. If I have more $$$ I'll just order new 765lt/750s but I'm not there yet. On cpo 675lt I'd say budget ~10k/yr on warranty/insurance/maintenance cost
That's spot on for warranty / maintance / insurance cost. About 1k per month.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:32 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,543 Likes on 859 Posts

I'm curious, for those of you with the "baby" McLarens (570S/570GT) how would you say that car compares to something like a GT4RS or GT3? I know i'll be getting something in about 4-5 years and originally i was thinking about a GT3, but with the ADM game never going away and with how Porsche are with individual builds, ive been thinking about a used McLaren. Now i dont have th money for anything like a 720S (which i would love) or a 675LT but ive been seeing used 570S and 570GTs on the market for about 160k which is well within my price range. I did get to drive one on track briefly and it was amazing, but that was years ago and ive kinda forgotten what it was like.

I'm kinda hoping that when i'm ready to buy there will be some nice used Artura's or GTS that have depreciated down to around the 160k mark.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:38 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
McLaren’s are wonderful to drive but except for special limited models like a P1, I disagree with the part of your post that I bolded.

Most McLarens are not known for their appreciation.
to quote you, yeah, MOST are not historically. 675LT is already stabilized. it's not going to go down.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I'm curious, for those of you with the "baby" McLarens (570S/570GT) how would you say that car compares to something like a GT4RS or GT3? I know i'll be getting something in about 4-5 years and originally i was thinking about a GT3, but with the ADM game never going away and with how Porsche are with individual builds, ive been thinking about a used McLaren. Now i dont have th money for anything like a 720S (which i would love) or a 675LT but ive been seeing used 570S and 570GTs on the market for about 160k which is well within my price range. I did get to drive one on track briefly and it was amazing, but that was years ago and ive kinda forgotten what it was like.

I'm kinda hoping that when i'm ready to buy there will be some nice used Artura's or GTS that have depreciated down to around the 160k mark.
I currently have a 570 GT, 4RS, 992 GT3, and 991.2 3RS. Previously had a 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4. I like the 570 better as a road car than any of these Porsches. The 570 is meant to be fun to drive, which means that handling is playful but very progressive, inspires a ton of confidence. The 570 also has more torque and power, and therefore has stronger acceleration. The 570 is so fast that a faster and more expensive McLaren doesn't really interest me. On PS 4S tires, the 570 has less grip than the Porsches if they have a tire like Cup 2, but that isn't really a disadvantage for road driving, and could even be considered an advantage. Generally, the McLaren is fun and engaging at all speeds, the Porsche GT cars want to be driven fast in order to be fun. Porsche GT cars are track cars you can drive on the road, whereas the 570 is an exotic road car you can drive on the track.
Xxyion (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:45 PM
matt0520
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 77 Posts

Went through this exercise on 570, 600 models and one of the big things that came up for me was my closest service center is about 5 hours away.

Do you have one close? This was a big consideration for me, and I was glad a buddy pointed it out.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:37 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 696 Posts

Talk to Mclaren owners before deciding which car to buy and do exhaustive research. Also talk to McLaren techs and everyone at the dealership if you can. Get to know the brand, get to know your local dealership, get to know the cars etc.

If you can stretch your budget to a 675 LT do it.
Xxyion (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
I currently have a 570 GT, 4RS, 992 GT3, and 991.2 3RS. Previously had a 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4. I like the 570 better as a road car than any of these Porsches. The 570 is meant to be fun to drive, which means that handling is playful but very progressive, inspires a ton of confidence. The 570 also has more torque and power, and therefore has stronger acceleration. The 570 is so fast that a faster and more expensive McLaren doesn't really interest me. On PS 4S tires, the 570 has less grip than the Porsches if they have a tire like Cup 2, but that isn't really a disadvantage for road driving, and could even be considered an advantage. Generally, the McLaren is fun and engaging at all speeds, the Porsche GT cars want to be driven fast in order to be fun. Porsche GT cars are track cars you can drive on the road, whereas the 570 is an exotic road car you can drive on the track.
Yeah i definetly noticed that when i was on track with one. It actually really reminded me of my S2000 in how playful it was. I'm a huge fan of the "cheaper" McLarens as they are still "supercar" status and a step above most road cars while being affordable compared to a lot of other models. I find it really interesting that the McLaren is a better road car than a Porsche GT car. I've always imaged it was the other way around but it's really cool to have something that looks so exotic to be the better road car. The plan very much is for it to be a car for special occasions with maybe only 1-2 track days a year.

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Talk to Mclaren owners before deciding which car to buy and do exhaustive research. Also talk to McLaren techs and everyone at the dealership if you can. Get to know the brand, get to know your local dealership, get to know the cars etc.

If you can stretch your budget to a 675 LT do it.
Yeah i've been a long time fan of McLaren and it's always been in my mind what a Supercar should look and feel like. My Cousin purchased a 675LT and if i ever make it over to Houston i'll definetly be spending a lot of time near it and in it. Luckily i also have a very close local dealership to me as well and have been thinking about visiting just to get some information. I'm just not ready to buy yet but maybe it will be good to form that relationship now.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yeah i definetly noticed that when i was on track with one. It actually really reminded me of my S2000 in how playful it was. I'm a huge fan of the "cheaper" McLarens as they are still "supercar" status and a step above most road cars while being affordable compared to a lot of other models. I find it really interesting that the McLaren is a better road car than a Porsche GT car. I've always imaged it was the other way around but it's really cool to have something that looks so exotic to be the better road car. The plan very much is for it to be a car for special occasions with maybe only 1-2 track days a year.
Some people look down at the 570 because it was an 'entry-level' McLaren at the time. Sure, ok, but this is a lightweight carbon fiber tub car with a twin-turbo 3.8L V8 putting out at least 570 hp, shifting is just as good as PDK and has three modes instead of two, ride quality is better than any Porsche GT car (three modes instead of two), sounds great (I have sport exhaust) and redline is over 8k rpm, steering feel is better than the Porsches, and handling benefits from the car having wider tracks, longer wheelbase, and lower CG than any of the Porsches. My car was $251k MSRP in 2018, which inflates to about $300k; that's more than the Porsches, and it feels like it, the car is a level beyond Porsches. At $160k for mine, I feel like it's a bargain.

The only downside is that the car looks like an exotic and draws attention, which you may not want.

Last edited by Manifold; 05-21-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Xxyion (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:33 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Some people look down at the 570 because it was an 'entry-level' McLaren at the time. Sure, ok, but this is a lightweight carbon fiber tub car with a twin-turbo 3.8L V8 putting out at least 570 hp, shifting is just as good as PDK and has three modes instead of two, ride quality is better than any Porsche GT car (three modes instead of two), sounds great (I have sport exhaust) and redline is over 8k rpm, steering feel is better than the Porsches, and handling benefits from the car having wider tracks, longer wheelbase, and lower CG than any of the Porsches. My car was $251k MSRP in 2018, which inflates to about $300k; that's more than the Porsches, and it feels like it, the car is a level beyond Porsches. At $160k for mine, I feel like it's a bargain.

The only downside is that the car looks like an exotic and draws attention, which you may not want.
Yeah all those points are just confirming my initial thoughts about the 570S. And in 4-5 years if i can find a McLaren GTS for about the same price (i assume the GTS is the next "version) that'll be my next car purchase. Actually if anything i feel like me getting my GTS will make for a perfect car combo. Boxster GTS as the daily and McLaren GTS/Artura as the fun weekend car. As far as flashy i like flashy if you can tell from the color of my GT4 lol.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yeah all those points are just confirming my initial thoughts about the 570S. And in 4-5 years if i can find a McLaren GTS for about the same price (i assume the GTS is the next "version) that'll be my next car purchase. Actually if anything i feel like me getting my GTS will make for a perfect car combo. Boxster GTS as the daily and McLaren GTS/Artura as the fun weekend car. As far as flashy i like flashy if you can tell from the color of my GT4 lol.
I think the GT was the successor to the 570, and the GT wasn't really a big hit. I've only driven the 570 (and an MP4-12C on track a long time ago), so I can't really compare the McLaren models.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:49 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Imo that's a big issue. Even more than for an F-car, somehow. On par with a Lambo?

So, you are happy with the build quality? No complaints?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alcc
Imo that's a big issue. Even more than for an F-car, somehow. On par with a Lambo?

So, you are happy with the build quality? No complaints?
It's a unique shape for sure. I can deal with the attention on weekend drives, but can't take the car to work where my employees can see it. McLarens all look kind of similar, so people can't tell whether mine is a 'cheap' one or an expensive one.

Build quality seems good to me, no complaints. Has a few rattles sometimes, but so do the 992 Porsches.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:44 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,060 Likes on 5,252 Posts

Mclarens are under-tired, esp. when compared Porsche GT cars.

Some consider it a feature, others a problem.

Just depends on your perspective and what you want out of a car.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT