Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:21 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Mclarens are under-tired, esp. when compared Porsche GT cars.

Some consider it a feature, others a problem.

Just depends on your perspective and what you want out of a car.
The tire widths are a design choice. McLaren knows what they’re doing. Their priority is not to create a track weapon.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:30 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The tire widths are a design choice. McLaren knows what they’re doing. Their priority is not to create a track weapon.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:47 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 238 Posts

While I would love to add a SpyderRS to my car collection, with the rather silly ADMs that are being asked I'm really starting to believe that my next sports car is going to look a lot like the one pictured here:

The following 2 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
168glhs1986 (05-22-2024), Xxyion (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The reputation of Porsche GT cars, and to some extent the Porsche brand, lives or dies based on the track performance and durability of the GT cars. McLaren isn't going for that, their cars offer a unique road driving experience, and it seems that less wide tires are part of that recipe.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:50 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

These are so fast. I drove the Artura the other day. Very cool but.

I would highly recommend either the new 750S or I would get a 675 LT Coupe or Spider. Plenty fast and the depreciation is over. Best build quality out of all McLarens including the P1.

Maybe give them a minute to work out the bugs of the Artura if you want a hybrid.

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
While I would love to add a SpyderRS to my car collection, with the rather silly ADMs that are being asked I'm really starting to believe that my next sports car is going to look a lot like the one pictured here:

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 05-22-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:54 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

The McLaren tire size is just fine. They are faster than most GT cars around the track. GT cars are no slouch though, always have punched above their MSRP weight.

Maybe not their MSRP + ADM weight though.

The following 2 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
BabyNSX (05-22-2024), Manifold (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 05:03 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
The McLaren tire size is just fine. They are faster than most GT cars around the track. GT cars are no slouch though, always have punched above their MSRP weight.

Maybe not their MSRP + ADM weight though.

The less weight you have, the less tire you need to achieve a set performance number. Also, you can fit stickier tires or get aftermarket wheels to increase ultimate grip on the McLarens.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:10 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
The less weight you have, the less tire you need to achieve a set performance number. Also, you can fit stickier tires or get aftermarket wheels to increase ultimate grip on the McLarens.
911 GT cars need wide tires due to all the weight hanging over the axle. I'm no tire / weight engineer but I did have dinner with 2 Michelin tire engineers at Roebling Road so that makes me some kind of an expert anyhow
Old 05-22-2024, 05:15 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

911 GT cars need wide tires due to all the weight hanging over the axle. I'm no tire / weight engineer but I did have dinner with 2 Michelin tire engineers at Roebling Road so that makes me some kind of an expert anyhow
Yep, totally makes sense. It's the same reason that the track focused Mustangs and Camaros have 285 or 305 tires up front. Heavy vehicle with most of the weight on the front axle.

I don't think I would like the 911 feel. I noticed quite a bit of difference just going from a front engine layout to a mid-engine layout. If you do not have the rear-end locked down with solid bushings and stiff sidewalled tires, there is some lateral rear-end movement that I do not like. With the GT4, you can cure that with stiff sidewall tires, I would imagine it would be even worse on the 911's and harder to combat.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yep, totally makes sense. It's the same reason that the track focused Mustangs and Camaros have 285 or 305 tires up front. Heavy vehicle with most of the weight on the front axle.

I don't think I would like the 911 feel. I noticed quite a bit of difference just going from a front engine layout to a mid-engine layout. If you do not have the rear-end locked down with solid bushings and stiff sidewalled tires, there is some lateral rear-end movement that I do not like. With the GT4, you can cure that with stiff sidewall tires, I would imagine it would be even worse on the 911's and harder to combat.
You've not driven a 911?
Old 05-22-2024, 05:19 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

You've not driven a 911?
I haven't. I want to get out to the PECLA at some point and do the GT3 program, but haven't made it out there yet.

The GT4 is my first mid-engine experience, and have not tried a 911 yet.

All my prior experience is on front engine sports cars.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:11 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
I own both.

675LT for me is my favorite track car I’ve owned by far. Incredibly capable and so much feedback that you can get close to limit comfortably. For reference I’ve owned pretty much all the modern GT Porsche cars outside of 918 and Carrera GT and my PB around my local track is in the 675LT.

On the street the 4RS is really 2 cars in one which makes it super liveable. If left in normal mode and auto shift it drives and sounds like any normal sports car, especially with the super fast FAL. It’s size is also easy to maneuver. And outside of the Porsche geeks, most will think it’s just a Cayman with a big wing so relatively low key. The 675LT on the other hand is just not a practical daily in any way. It also has a horrible turning radius and the FAL takes and hour to lift the car.

As for running costs I have an extended warranty on the 675LT but it’s expensive and doesn’t cover everything. And costs of parts on the 675LT are obscene. Crack a bumper and you’re out the price of a Honda Accord.

Although the price of entry may be similar currently, ownership costs will likely be much higher on the 675 and for me it’s impracticality makes it better suited as a 3rd or 4th car in a rotation to be driven on special drives and for the track.

675LT is much more of a street/track driving experience to any Porsche GT cars I’ve owned. It also has the best steering feel I’ve ever experienced.

4RS is my favorite water cooled Porsche I’ve owned by far. If you can get one go for it - it’s incredible and liveable and the cabin drama at high revs is tough to replicate. To me it’s a total bargain anywhere close to MSRP.
There are so many great answers in this thread, thoughtfully written and from people with experience. I own both. I have other cars too. So it gets tricky when the question is <Car A> vs <Car B>. What else do you own & drive? What does your usage cycle look like? What are the conditions of the roads that you drive on? How many dips and bumps?

You said 90% street and 10% track. I dailied my GT4 for sometime, it was glorious. The 675LT would be awful as a daily driver. If I wanted to daily a McLaren of this caliber a 12C,650S or 720S would be far more enjoyable. I'm not going to repeat all the comments already made about turning circles etc.

If the question was: which car should I buy for this $250Kish budget range that will give me the most amazing sense of occasion, telepathic steering, a gunshot sound on flat-shift party trick and diagonally linked suspension hydraulics that eliminate anti-sway bars, the answer is very clear: the 675LT is an extraordinary vehicle that is bizarrely undervalued currently at 60% of it's MSRP.

However, for a car to drive 90% of the time on the street...(BTW - does that mean for daily driving? or just not tracking). The Cayman platform has two trunks, it's very liveable in normal settings, the nose lift is swift and it's easily the right choice. But it's probably overpriced due to the crazy Porsche market, even at MSRP. It does not have carbon tub. It does have one of the most remarkable sound tracks of any stock vehicle ever; perfect during a spirited drive. Which can be too loud and can be tiring. But no so bad cruising in 7th gear under 100MPH (not so in Germany on Autobahn cruising at 130MPH+ - I wore ear plugs at times). I've only just received my GT4RS and it feels like the effective spring rates are harder than any RS I've driven since the 997.1 GT3RS. Which means that on California cluster bombed surface roads, it'll be quite unpleasant.
The following users liked this post:
168glhs1986 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I haven't. I want to get out to the PECLA at some point and do the GT3 program, but haven't made it out there yet.

The GT4 is my first mid-engine experience, and have not tried a 911 yet.

All my prior experience is on front engine sports cars.
You need to drive one. Anything 996 or later feels intuitive to drive after some experience - in a way, it feels more 'right' than mid-engine and front-engine. With a 911, you manage the front of the car when you turn in, and enjoy the rear grip of the car in corner exit. It makes sense, and it's fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
fasteddie99 (05-23-2024), James88 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

These are so fast. I drove the Artura the other day. Very cool but.

I would highly recommend either the new 750S or I would get a 675 LT Coupe or Spider. Plenty fast and the depreciation is over. Best build quality out of all McLarens including the P1.

Maybe give them a minute to work out the bugs of the Artura if you want a hybrid.
I know there's lots of love for the 675LT and the 750S is the bright new shiny toy, but given current market trends and prices, I think an early model 765LT is the sweet spot in the current Super Series lineup.
168glhs1986 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:46 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I own or owned a lot.

Last track season I retired the 675LT from track duty - so just w/end drives to the golf course. For the track i have used the 992 3RS primarily and at times the 4RS.

For me, and many friends with big track car collections, the 4RS is still just a Cayman. Yes, an RS, but just a Cayman with fancy CF and magnesium parts. Yes its got a SICK engine but if you have a new GT 9k rpm 911 no need for this car. No need.

The 675LT is the most incredible car i have owned. Going on 6 years. May trade for a Sterrato Kid would hate.

Originally Posted by TheStiglet
There are so many great answers in this thread, thoughtfully written and from people with experience. I own both. I have other cars too. So it gets tricky when the question is <Car A> vs <Car B>. What else do you own & drive? What does your usage cycle look like? What are the conditions of the roads that you drive on? How many dips and bumps?

You said 90% street and 10% track. I dailied my GT4 for sometime, it was glorious. The 675LT would be awful as a daily driver. If I wanted to daily a McLaren of this caliber a 12C,650S or 720S would be far more enjoyable. I'm not going to repeat all the comments already made about turning circles etc.

If the question was: which car should I buy for this $250Kish budget range that will give me the most amazing sense of occasion, telepathic steering, a gunshot sound on flat-shift party trick and diagonally linked suspension hydraulics that eliminate anti-sway bars, the answer is very clear: the 675LT is an extraordinary vehicle that is bizarrely undervalued currently at 60% of it's MSRP.

However, for a car to drive 90% of the time on the street...(BTW - does that mean for daily driving? or just not tracking). The Cayman platform has two trunks, it's very liveable in normal settings, the nose lift is swift and it's easily the right choice. But it's probably overpriced due to the crazy Porsche market, even at MSRP. It does not have carbon tub. It does have one of the most remarkable sound tracks of any stock vehicle ever; perfect during a spirited drive. Which can be too loud and can be tiring. But no so bad cruising in 7th gear under 100MPH (not so in Germany on Autobahn cruising at 130MPH+ - I wore ear plugs at times). I've only just received my GT4RS and it feels like the effective spring rates are harder than any RS I've driven since the 997.1 GT3RS. Which means that on California cluster bombed surface roads, it'll be quite unpleasant.
168glhs1986 (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT