Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 06:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think it's a bit funny comparing reliability between Porsche and McLaren. Everyone says here that with Porsche you know you're getting something reliable that you can thrash it around. My experience unfortunetly was not that way and my GT4 ended up being a lemon. Now obviously this was a rare occasion and PCNA took care of me very well. But just had a small chuckle when i read that.

I do REALLY want a McLaren though and i think i'll buy used rather than new as with enough service records maybe i can snag one that didnt have too many issues and it will stay that way. I've only ever driven a 570S and for me it felt surprisingly similar to my S2000 just with 400 more hp and a TON of torque. I knew right then and there i was going to eventually buy one.
Originally Posted by SlickxAC
I'm on the same boat as you @Xxyion I had problems with my 718 GT4, but it was more due to negligence from the dealer that serviced my car. PCNA took care of me and now I am in a 4RS.

I did want a mclaren as well since I had driven my friends 720S and the power was absolutely insane. Steering was great as well, but I did miss the NA sounds. It's funny for reliability since he never had any problems with his 720s, but our other friend had a ton of problems with his 570s. Guess its just how lucky you are.
With McLaren, I think the options are:

- Buy new with warranty, and be prepared to take depreciation hit as warranty period is used up

- Buy used with CPO warranty, and consider paying for extended warranty if really concerned about repair costs

- Buy used non-CPO car that a decent number of miles and service records showing reliability; that's what I did, and I'd do it again
Old 07-01-2024, 08:14 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

- Buy new with warranty, and be prepared to take depreciation hit as warranty period is used up

- Buy used with CPO warranty, and consider paying for extended warranty if really concerned about repair costs

- Buy used non-CPO car that a decent number of miles and service records showing reliability; that's what I did, and I'd do it again

Yes I agree with these options. Its either has some sort of warranty or it seems the higher mileage ones are already sorted out and don't run into the problems.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:40 PM
Higgs Boson
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats a high mileage mclaren? 5k? 10? 30?
Old 07-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

I would not own one out of warranty. Are you planning on tracking the 570s? I see few 720s now and then on the track and once a 765 LT. My calculations is they are 5-10mph faster on the straights than my car.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Engro
I would not own one out of warranty. Are you planning on tracking the 570s? I see few 720s now and then on the track and once a 765 LT. My calculations is they are 5-10mph faster on the straights than my car.
I’ll do a track day with it just to see what it’s like, but track duty is generally the job of the Porsches under warranty.

The 570 is a blast to drive on the road, don’t need to track it to enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Engro (07-02-2024), Mike981S (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT