Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 12:57 PM
Journeyman73
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The difference is that I'm not presenting my impressions, opinions, and comparisons as facts, or at least I'm trying not to and repeatedly emphasizing that this is all subjective. There's no such thing as a best Porsche for any purpose, just cars we each like the most.
it’s a forum - isn’t it obvious that posts reflect individual thoughts and opinions…there is no empirical evidence of anything being presented

it’s such a red herring when a post gets called out for ‘just’ being an opinion…the funny thing is nobody calls out another post for just being an opinion when it happens to align to their own opinion lol
The following 3 users liked this post by Journeyman73:
lilbza (07-03-2024), Odin (07-04-2024), RDCR (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:01 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 432 Posts

Fair points. But when I read something like this, implying that a car with inherently inferior design is more fun, and the car with better design is 'clinically easy' and 'bit boring', it strikes me as ridiculous. When someone can drive a 992 GT3 RS near the limit, tell me it's boring.

"The inherent inferiority from not having a double wishbone front end, no RAS (like the S/T) and less rubber on the ground, makes it a more demanding car to drive fast and therefore more entertaining than any 992, including the GT3RS which really offers too little drama and giving a sense of driving in a PlayStation game, disconnected from the surroundings, because everything is so clinically easy and therefore ultimately a bit boring."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSKJ1kUI-Es
But that’s still just his opinion, and one you don’t happen to agree with—and neither do I, for that matter.

I’ve pushed a well setup 992 GT3 on track, and it is magical. It’s incredibly sure-footed and confidence-inspiring. I was able to push quite hard with no drama. I personally found it invigorating and not boring at all. The stability when hard braking puts the GT4 RS to shame. What a car!

But I have my own reasons for wanting and owning the GT4 RS. A lot of it has to do with its size, aesthetics, and the position of the engine. It is far more flawed than the GT3 from a pure capability standpoint. It can be scary and skittish for sure, and to me, doesn’t feel nearly as planted as a 992 GT3 by comparison. But that’s also part of the fun for those that track a lot with the GT4 platform. I know many don’t care about lap times, but for me it’s an objective measure of my own skill and development. And working to match and beat times set by quick GT3 and GT3 RS owners with an underdog of a car is a fun part of my journey with it.

Last edited by KelvinC; 07-03-2024 at 01:08 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by KelvinC:
7184RS (07-03-2024), jabwind51 (07-05-2024), Mike981S (07-03-2024), Odin (07-04-2024), TRSCobra (07-03-2024), Visceral (07-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:09 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 137 Posts

Some people are entertained by character, some people by pure velocity and grip. Isn't it great that Porsche makes a car for each?
The following 3 users liked this post by Visceral:
85Gold (07-03-2024), jabwind51 (07-05-2024), TRSCobra (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,499 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
But that’s still just his opinion, and one you don’t happen to agree with—and neither do I, for that matter.

I’ve pushed a well setup 992 GT3 on track, and it is magical. It’s incredibly sure-footed and confidence-inspiring. I was able to push quite hard with no drama. I personally found it invigorating and not boring at all. The stability when hard braking puts the GT4 RS to shame. What a car!

But I have my own reasons for wanting and owning the GT4 RS. A lot of it has to do with its size, aesthetics, and the position of the engine. It is far more flawed than the GT3 from a pure capability standpoint. It can be scary and skittish for sure, and to me, doesn’t feel nearly as planted as a 992 GT3 by comparison. But that’s also part of the fun for those that track a lot with the GT4 platform. I know many don’t care about lap times, but for me it’s an objective measure of my own skill and development. And working to match and beat times set by quick GT3 and GT3 RS owners with an underdog of a car is a fun part of my journey with it.
My interest in the 4RS is similar. It's the best Cayman that Porsche is willing to make for the track, and it's different from any 911, so it adds variety. I don't need it be better or worse than a 911, just different enough that it makes sense to have it.

People in this thread may feel that I'm ragging on the 4RS, but I'm not. I think it's an excellent car and worth the MSRP price. If it was my only sports car, I'd drive it and be happy. I just take issue with the car being overhyped as though someone would be crazy or incompetent if they don't think it's the best thing ever. I see more defensiveness among 4RS owners than I do among owners of the 911 variants.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
alcc (07-03-2024), mr965 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Visceral
Some people are entertained by character, some people by pure velocity and grip. Isn't it great that Porsche makes a car for each?
But people disagree on the character aspect. For example, I think the 991/992 TTS cars ooze character and are ton of fun, others find them sterile and boring. The character we perceive in a car is as much about us as the car itself.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:43 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

But people disagree on the character aspect. For example, I think the 991/992 TTS cars ooze character and are ton of fun, others find them sterile and boring. The character we perceive in a car is as much about us as the car itself.
No it does not, as it depends on what you bar of character is ... For my grandpa a AM vantage might have character
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7184RS
No it does not, as it depends on what you bar of character is ... For my grandpa a AM vantage might have character
There's no 'bar', each car has its own personality, which is a multidimensional thing.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:49 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

There's no 'bar', each car has its own personality, which is a multidimensional thing.
Then for someone an astra Vauxhall will have character ...thus character means nothing, and gets diluted in something completely subjective
Old 07-03-2024, 02:51 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Isn't it wonderfull that we can even have these conversations. It's a golden age for IC cars and I love the fact that there are so many options in all price ranges across multiple brands. Embrace the diversity. 🍻

Peter
Old 07-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7184RS
Then for someone an astra Vauxhall will have character ...thus character means nothing, and gets diluted in something completely subjective
It's not entirely subjective, but it's largely subjective, so there can't be agreement about which car has the best or most 'character'. For example, I don't give a lot of importance to sound and don't like very jolty shifts, others give the highest importance to sound and love jolty shifts. There's no right or wrong here, which is why this thread is called 'impressions' rather than measurements.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:57 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 79 Posts

Why does Porsche use such a bad factory alignment? Did the auto journalists who reviewed the car on road and track not have factory alignment?
the alignment isn’t bad. It is safe for road use for average drivers. Because of sturt suspension inherently there is less room for dynamics. stock alignment on mid engines are just worse than stock 992 alignment on aggressive driving. There is less dynamic camber, toe in front on corner entry (bad turn in) and toe out rear on brake (rear wiggle)

people with track alignment adjust to mask these weakness, adding more static camber, sometimes up to -3.5. Toe out on front and toe in at the back. These settings are less safe for road use but make the car feel close to idea setup on track.

But yeah point taken on you are just giving your own opinions and fact that 4RS is a bit overhyped originally. I do think it has came down and recent pricing reflect that. I still would personally take it over 992 GT3.
Manifold (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 06:46 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

It's not entirely subjective, but it's largely subjective, so there can't be agreement about which car has the best or most 'character'. For example, I don't give a lot of importance to sound and don't like very jolty shifts, others give the highest importance to sound and love jolty shifts. There's no right or wrong here, which is why this thread is called 'impressions' rather than measurements.
Manifold-have you even hit break in yet.?You have lots of observations but have not tracked or hit break in yet. The 4RS is not meant to be clinical but rather immersive in sound and playfulness. The PDK sport is brilliant, I have not owned a car like it. Is it a 911 GT3 ?No but it wasn't trying to be one.
The following 2 users liked this post by TOporschefan:
Ksdaoski (07-03-2024), Odin (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 06:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Manifold-have you even hit break in yet.?You have lots of observations but have not tracked or hit break in yet. The 4RS is not meant to be clinical but rather immersive in sound and playfulness. The PDK sport is brilliant, I have not owned a car like it. Is it a 911 GT3 ?No but it wasn't trying to be one.
Almost there, at at about 800 miles. My road impressions won't change when I can go beyond 7k, because that last 2k isn't very accessible on the road, and I've already been driving the car as hard on the road as I ever will. I don't have any prediction about how much I'll like it on the track, TBD.
TOporschefan (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:09 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Almost there, at at about 800 miles. My road impressions won't change when I can go beyond 7k, because that last 2k isn't very accessible on the road, and I've already been driving the car as hard on the road as I ever will. I don't have any prediction about how much I'll like it on the track, TBD.
im always interested to hear when i see people say they can't access the last xK or drive "harder" on the road, are these because of the roads people live around, personal preference where people do not drive fast on non track roads? as in under no circumstance are you driving 130 on a local road or highway? just curious
Old 07-03-2024, 07:40 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by OncPorsche
im always interested to hear when i see people say they can't access the last xK or drive "harder" on the road, are these because of the roads people live around, personal preference where people do not drive fast on non track roads? as in under no circumstance are you driving 130 on a local road or highway? just curious
I cannot speak for everyone, but for ME . . .

I sold my GT4 because I do not track my cars and found it immensely frustrating to own . . . a bridled racehorse.

I owned my GT4 in a rural southern climate (FL) and enjoy driving my sport/sporty cars wrung out . . . which I suspect is something I share with most on this forum.

By the time you get to 3rd gear you are looking at jail time. Aside from that, the roadways are littered with cars and traffic lights, even in rural areas . . . hurry up and slow down/stop constantly. Then there is presence of law enforcement that can be lurking behind any unsuspecting corner.

Overall, the roadways were the limiting and highly frustrating factor for ME with the GT4. I have no doubt the GT4RS is an even more capable race car that would appeal to ME even less for that very reason.

Now, if I tracked my vehicles, I suspect the GT4 and RS would be among the most enjoyable sport cars available. I know the GT3 is the pinnacle of Porsche capability, but there is something about the word ‘surgical’ that sounds less enjoyable to me on a track.

The GT4 is a GREAT race car and complete drag on the common roadways . . . for ME.

Avera
The following 3 users liked this post by Avera:
EXFIB (07-04-2024), Mike981S (07-04-2024), OncPorsche (07-03-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions