Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024 | 07:22 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Today, I drove my three mid-engine cars back to back, in this order: manual Cayman R (4S tires), 4RS (Dunlop tires), and McLaren 570 (4S tires).

I enjoyed the Cayman R and 4RS roughly equally. I wasn't in the mood for manual today, so that gave the 4RS an edge, though I don't like the amount of jolt when using the paddles in the 4RS. Cayman R is easier to move around and feels lighter, 4RS has a lot more grip and feels more locked down. 4RS is too loud when on it, volume needs to be turned down 20%.

I enjoyed the 570 MUCH more than the two Porsches. It's in a different league. Much better suspension and ride quality, feels more mid-engine and tossable, better shifting than the 4RS, sounds better to me than the other two, and much stronger acceleration. Most telepathic car I've ever driven.
I've owned a 570s for over a year and the 4RS 6 months.
Yes the 570 is very good, but it cost ~£80k more than the 4RS.
The 570 is more of a tourer than the 4RS as it's more adjustable suspension wise. The 4RS feels more of a race car as it's more clinical and cacoons you more than the 570. Both sound poo stock, you need downpipes and rear race exhaust on the 570. The 4RS needs at least OPF pipes. I woud'nt say the 570 accelerates harder as it has lag < 3.5k revs.
Both very different cars in my mind, as the target market is different. One's a super car, the other a high end sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024 | 07:51 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

I watch Thorney and he puts me off Macca ownership. 570 are super cheap in the UK even the 600LT, but the build still sucks and you need a garage for them, they seem to melt in the rain.
No contest vs an F8 if I was wanting this sort of car.
Old 07-01-2024 | 07:55 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jabwind51
Care to mention your alignment settings? I was planning on getting a track alignment before I picked up the car. I didn’t like to stock alignment on the track and felt it needed a more sporty set up. Thanks!
You cannot get Taffys set up with out front top mounts and rear Toe links and changing caster. Porsche won't fit these on this car.
Old 07-01-2024 | 07:56 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I watch Thorney and he puts me off Macca ownership. 570 are super cheap in the UK even the 600LT, but the build still sucks and you need a garage for them, they seem to melt in the rain.
No contest vs an F8 if I was wanting this sort of car.
Naa, Fezza totally boring since the 458. Depends on your definition of cheap
Melt in the rain, don't be silly.
Have you owned a Mclaren as you're making massive assumptions here.
Old 07-01-2024 | 08:51 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Care to mention your alignment settings? I was planning on getting a track alignment before I picked up the car. I didn’t like to stock alignment on the track and felt it needed a more sporty set up. Thanks!
Yeah as mr d spy correctly said my 4RS has front Porsche Motorsport camber plates as well as a couple of shims. I also have String Theory Garage rear toe arm links.
Going off memory front camber is about -3.2 and rear-2.5 . Front toe is 1mm out each side and rear I think -3.5mm toe in. The rear toe was initially -4.5mm but I took 1mm out to help rotation.
Both ARBs are Middle setting. It has also been lowered by 10mm. Not sure what the rake is as I don’t have the print out with me.
Steel brakes and Mags. Fitted some Pagid RSL 29s as I thought the standard oem ones were crap on track. Max aero settings front and rear.
Next mod will be some aftermarket coilovers or as a cheaper alternative fit some 120Nm springs on the rear and leave the fronts be.
mr965 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024 | 08:56 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Yeah as mr d spy correctly said my 4RS has front Porsche Motorsport camber plates as well as a couple of shims. I also have String Theory Garage rear toe arm links.
Going off memory front camber is about -3.2 and rear-2.5 . Front toe is 1mm out each side and rear I think -3.5mm toe in. The rear toe was initially -4.5mm but I took 1mm out to help rotation.
Both ARBs are Middle setting. It has also been lowered by 10mm. Not sure what the rake is as I don’t have the print out with me.
Steel brakes and Mags. Fitted some Pagid RSL 29s as I thought the standard oem ones were crap on track. Max aero settings front and rear.
Next mod will be some aftermarket coilovers or as a cheaper alternative fit some 120Nm springs on the rear and leave the fronts be.
Where did you source the Porsche Motorsport camber plates from?
Old 07-01-2024 | 10:01 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MannyLon
Same place as I got my rear toe links that is String Theory Garage in Stratford. Highly recommended for setting cars up
Old 07-01-2024 | 01:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by lilbza
No, I said all the criticisms of this car have already been heard. I haven't heard any new negatives about the car is quite some time. New/fresh informative reviews (positive or negative) still interest me, repetitive reviews do not, and it's being echoed by other members, so I'm not sure where you're going with this?

You're cherry picking now. Sure comparisons to those particular GT cars may be relevant with initial impressions, but other cars you continue to include are not, at least for this thread. Go start another thread to ramble on about all your other cars as often as you like, lets keep this one on topic for those who just want to read about the GT4RS, it's really not that hard to comprehend.
My criticisms are mostly about the dynamics of the car when driving it on the road. I hadn't heard that those criticisms the car before I bought.

I don't agree with the standard criticism that the car is too stiff. I knew the car was loud before I bought, and that's not a dealbreaker.
Old 07-01-2024 | 02:28 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Thanks! I may keep the ride height the same as the roads around me are horrendous
Old 07-01-2024 | 03:34 PM
7184RS
Instructor

You can order them at any Porsche dealer. It took 20 days for me to get the camber plates and toe links in March as they were in back order
MannyLon (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024 | 03:44 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7184RS
You can order them at any Porsche dealer. It took 20 days for me to get the camber plates and toe links in March as they were in back order
Are these necessary for a track alignment?? Im not as knowledgeable as some regarding alignment and toe specs lol
Old 07-01-2024 | 03:50 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Are these necessary for a track alignment?? Im not as knowledgeable as some regarding alignment and toe specs lol
The benefit of front camber plates is that they allow you to get more front camber and fit 255 without rubbing

On the rear if you go beyond 2 degrees of negative camber with the stock toe links you cannot get the desired toe in

On top of this I added rear camber plates to the mix to be able to fit 305
Old 07-01-2024 | 04:38 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Naa, Fezza totally boring since the 458. Depends on your definition of cheap
Melt in the rain, don't be silly.
Have you owned a Mclaren as you're making massive assumptions here.
know too many owners having issues and Thorney is up front on the costs, I have test drove them twice, but not a car I would buy to keep on a driveway. it's well know they hate rain and like to be kept on a trickle charger.
The pannel gaps are comic, the finishing poor, it's not much better than a Lotus. And I stopped buying them years a go. Modern Ferrari work very well these days with the 488 and F8 and you entre owner ship with a very nice lifestyle feeling.

The only life style you get with a 570 is with the local dealer :-) 675LT was ok the rest, no thanks.
Old 07-01-2024 | 04:41 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Nope I track my 4RS all oem still.

Getting the MR settings put on next week, that also = no parts needed.
Old 07-01-2024 | 04:42 PM
MannyLon
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
know too many owners having issues and Thorney is up front on the costs, I have test drove them twice, but not a car I would buy to keep on a driveway. it's well know they hate rain and like to be kept on a trickle charger.
The pannel gaps are comic, the finishing poor, it's not much better than a Lotus. And I stopped buying them years a go. Modern Ferrari work very well these days with the 488 and F8 and you entre owner ship with a very nice lifestyle feeling.

The only life style you get with a 570 is with the local dealer :-) 675LT was ok the rest, no thanks.
Nonsense, coming from somone who doesn't even own one. Plenty of very happy Macca owners with plenty of miles. Fezza have plenty of problems, not reliable
Anyway, it's a Porsche forum, so let's not pollute!
mrd_spy (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions