Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by 7184RS
Still not enough time for a proper test as it is still in break-in period (500km) so restricted both in load and rpm.

Compared to my previous lotus the 4RS feels fat and big (as expected). The sound inside is glorious, period, but the exhaust sound is shaming, although I do really care about the one inside (too many years of extra loud sound with the Lotus)
Not many track days in July - Aug so I expect early Sep for the first one.

The steering is better than I expected, but Exige's is way better, same as the feeling of the suspension (PASM vs Nitrons 3way).

PDK is simply amazing

In any case...to get a proper conclusion I need to track the car in the same conditions I was tracking my lotus. I'm pretty sure the 4RS will be faster tho​​​​
We got our 981 GT4 expecting that it would be better than the Cayman R in every way, and would therefore replace it. We found that the GT4 felt bigger, heavier, and less playful than the Cayman R, but also much more capable on the track, so we kept both cars.

Now the 4RS has replaced the GT4, and I think the 4RS feels similar to the GT4 (not the Cayman R), though the 4RS is substantially more poised and capable and grippy than the GT4.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
7184RS (06-16-2024), Mike981S (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:44 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Still not enough time for a proper test as it is still in break-in period (500km) so restricted both in load and rpm.

Compared to my previous lotus the 4RS feels fat and big (as expected). The sound inside is glorious, period, but the exhaust sound is shaming, although I do really care about the one inside (too many years of extra loud sound with the Lotus)
Not many track days in July - Aug so I expect early Sep for the first one.

The steering is better than I expected, but Exige's is way better, same as the feeling of the suspension (PASM vs Nitrons 3way).

PDK is simply amazing

In any case...to get a proper conclusion I need to track the car in the same conditions I was tracking my lotus. I'm pretty sure the 4RS will be faster tho​​​​​

​​​​
I had an Elise with quite a few modifications, power and suspension. Penske Shock Double Adjust Suspension, upgraded front sway bar, BWR TVR REV300 Supercharger and Fastworks tuning, Tillet B5 Carbon Fiber drivers seat, Reverie splitter, BOE ST5 Exhaust, PPE Header Upgrade, 5 Element Rear Diffuser...

It handled great but still felt like a toy relative to the GT4rs. It was good for about 2hrs drive time, tops, before it became too taxing. At Road America I think my top speed going into 1 was 130mph vs 160 in the GT4rs. I have a lot more confidence in the GT4rs than I did the Lotus. Track times not even close.
The following users liked this post:
7184RS (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:04 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
A few more thoughts, now having had a few weeks with the car.

This is the loudest modern car I have experienced. It’s hilariously loud, like a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, or a 16M.

Also like those Ferraris, and also unlike other RS cars, this car has relatively soft spring rates and rides comfortably.

And like those Ferraris, and unlike other Porsche RS cars, this one is oriented much more towards fun on the road then lap times. Compared to RS cars, this one is a lot less serious and a lot less buttoned down. Although it is much better balanced than any 911, there is no way this car is as quick on a track as a 992 GT3.

Btw, it seems quite possible, that the reason the car upshifts so early even in PDK sport mode, is to pass noise regulations. Another interesting thing is that upshifts are butter smooth like that of a Ferrari 458, but downshifts are jerky and super aggressive like that of a Ferrari Scuderia.

Overall, my feeling is that this is Porsche’s 430 Scuderia/458 Speciale, not Porsche’s RS. Hilarious fun, but without the image and maintenance issues that are part of the Ferrari experience.

Best of both worlds!

Unless you hate Ferraris, in which case there’s always Lamborghini 😁

Just got a 4RS and totally agree. I was shopping Scuds and Speciales, but glad a got the 4RS. I’ve owned 10 P-cars and this is definitely the loudest…even louder than my CGT!
The following users liked this post:
BusDriver (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:50 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo
Just got a 4RS and totally agree. I was shopping Scuds and Speciales, but glad a got the 4RS. I’ve owned 10 P-cars and this is definitely the loudest…even louder than my CGT!
Can you compare to your CGT for handling/engagement and overall enjoyment? Never driven a CGT and just curious how a 4RS stacks up.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:56 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I had an Elise with quite a few modifications, power and suspension. Penske Shock Double Adjust Suspension, upgraded front sway bar, BWR TVR REV300 Supercharger and Fastworks tuning, Tillet B5 Carbon Fiber drivers seat, Reverie splitter, BOE ST5 Exhaust, PPE Header Upgrade, 5 Element Rear Diffuser...

It handled great but still felt like a toy relative to the GT4rs. It was good for about 2hrs drive time, tops, before it became too taxing. At Road America I think my top speed going into 1 was 130mph vs 160 in the GT4rs. I have a lot more confidence in the GT4rs than I did the Lotus. Track times not even close.
Yes, definitely more taxing and raw. Mine was an Exige V6 with 460bhp, so in terms of pure acceleration won't be far behind the 4RS.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:16 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Yes, definitely more taxing and raw. Mine was an Exige V6 with 460bhp, so in terms of pure acceleration won't be far behind the 4RS.
We never got the new exiges in the States. Looked like a good time
Old 06-16-2024, 03:09 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo
Other than both being very fast cars, the 4RS cannot be more different from a Scud/Speciale. Totally different engine feel/response from the throttle. Totally different front end feel/response from the steering wheel. One feels Italian -- light on its feet, but gets scary real fast. The other feels German - serious, tied down, reassuring at speed, but a bit inert when getting going. One feels rock solid in build. The other feels "handmade" (= justifiably worrisome.)

Italian vs German is like fire vs ice. If only... Which makes Lambos an interesting proposition: Italian engine, German built. If only I can see myself driving one. Nah, I can't.

Funny thing: I am in Italy at the moment. Been driving around various great roads in Sud-tirol. Ran into a bunch of local Porsche club rallies, including, yesterday, a caravan of air-cooleds. I say funny, because I saw several Lambos riding with the Porsches (cousins?), but never Ferraris. Guess Lambos can't ride with Ferraris (Montagues and Capulets?)

The following 2 users liked this post by alcc:
Manifold (06-23-2024), Mike981S (06-17-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 02:06 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

I've got an old Tundra PU that I keep around for dump runs and whenever I need a PU bed. Battery shot yesterday when I went to start it so in went the OEM P battery that I had pulled from the 4RS and replaced with a Braille 48. I was surprised the Porsche battery at 45 lbs weighed 4 lbs more that the battery that I had in the Tundra. I thought for a second that it was crazy putting an almost new, expensive 4RS battery into an old truck but after further thought I realized that boat anchor was never going back into the 4RS so I might as well use it for something.
Old 06-23-2024, 02:22 PM
Dizzy1127
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Took the 4rs for another country road run, keeping myself at 7000 rpm based on my break in. Definitely can tell the engine's sweet spot is in the higher rpm. I really think the engine noise is a big highlight of this car, cant wait to hit the 9k.

On my way back home, i noticed a bit of plastic creaking sounds over bumps at low speeds on the passenger side that ive never noticed before (currently at 780mi). Wonder if this is common? Its a stiff car but i wouldnt expect creaking in a porsche.

Last edited by Dizzy1127; 06-23-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:34 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Any car will develop creaks eventually. My 991.1 GT3 seats creaked. They also rubbed against the center console making a noise. And at one point the fire extinguisher was rattling.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Any car will develop creaks eventually. My 991.1 GT3 seats creaked. They also rubbed against the center console making a noise. And at one point the fire extinguisher was rattling.
depends. I put 15k miles on my 991.1 GT3. No creaks.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

I have more than 700 miles on the 4RS now. I'll be honest. I don't think I'd buy this car as a road-only car. I think it's a great car, but I have to be going crazy fast to enjoy it on the road.

Starting from a normal speed, the car doesn't have enough grunt to provide a really strong burst of acceleration (992 GT3 feels stronger in this aspect, and 992 TTS and McLaren 570 feel much stronger in this aspect.)

The 4RS sounds good to me, but is somewhat loud for my taste, and I like the sound of the GT3, 991.2 3RS, and 570 better.

The handling of the 4RS is quite good, but that's part of the problem. The car has a lot of grip and feels locked down, so it's not playful at sane road speeds and feels a bit heavy. The 570 has less grip, is much more playful, feels more mid-engine, feels lighter, and handles bumpy roads better, so it inspires more confidence when pushing hard. The Cayman R also feels lighter, more tossable, a bit more mid-engine.

The cockpit of the 4RS is really nice, but I don't really see the cockpit when I'm driving.

The brakes feel great, but they feel great in other cars too.

The PDK is excellent, but I think the downshifts are programmed to sometimes give too much of a jolt. It's not necessary, and creates an unwanted braking force. I prefer the smoother shifting of the GT3 and 991.2 3RS. And the manual in the Cayman R adds a kind of engagement which can be fun and suits road driving.

All of this said, I hope and expect that the 4RS will be great on track, and I look forward to trying it on track.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:49 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
depends. I put 15k miles on my 991.1 GT3. No creaks.
Depends on your ear sensitivity and tolerance. For me I haven’t been in a car that doesn’t creak in one way or another.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:14 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have more than 700 miles on the 4RS now. I'll be honest. I don't think I'd buy this car as a road-only car. I think it's a great car, but I have to be going crazy fast to enjoy it on the road.

Starting from a normal speed, the car doesn't have enough grunt to provide a really strong burst of acceleration (992 GT3 feels stronger in this aspect, and 992 TTS and McLaren 570 feel much stronger in this aspect.)

The 4RS sounds good to me, but is somewhat loud for my taste, and I like the sound of the GT3, 991.2 3RS, and 570 better.

The handling of the 4RS is quite good, but that's part of the problem. The car has a lot of grip and feels locked down, so it's not playful at sane road speeds and feels a bit heavy. The 570 has less grip, is much more playful, feels more mid-engine, feels lighter, and handles bumpy roads better, so it inspires more confidence when pushing hard. The Cayman R also feels lighter, more tossable, a bit more mid-engine.

The cockpit of the 4RS is really nice, but I don't really see the cockpit when I'm driving.

The brakes feel great, but they feel great in other cars too.

The PDK is excellent, but I think the downshifts are programmed to sometimes give too much of a jolt. It's not necessary, and creates an unwanted braking force. I prefer the smoother shifting of the GT3 and 991.2 3RS. And the manual in the Cayman R adds a kind of engagement which can be fun and suits road driving.

All of this said, I hope and expect that the 4RS will be great on track, and I look forward to trying it on track.
Spooky how we agree on every aspect of the 4RS.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:20 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
Depends on your ear sensitivity and tolerance. For me I haven’t been in a car that doesn’t creak in one way or another.
I put 38,000 miles on my 991 and it definitely had creaks, there was one in the door too. I do find I’m sensitive to it, but they were definitely there.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions