Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 07:56 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
The gearing in the 4RS "feels" shorter in 5-6-7 than the GT3 but I have no data to support that. I'm reluctant to review the 4RS until my first track day (soon) but regarding comparisons to the GT3 and GT3RS. I have 5 years in a GT3 and a couple sessions in a friends .2 GT3 RS. My take is the .2 RS feels and drives "bigger" than the GT3 let alone the 4RS and the .2 RS just does everything better than the GT3. If you don't get anywhere near the .2 RS's limits you'll feel like an HPDE hero - utter confidence.
Mid engine cars has its own gearbox. It can’t use 911 gearboxes otherwise there would be 7 reverse gears. The best they can do is similar gear ratio. Likely it is just a beefed up gearbox with different ratio than base versions.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:40 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
It might due to the suspension too. mid engine platform's struct suspension toe in on bump and toe out on rebound. As you brake for turn in, the front will be toe in more and the rear will be toe out. So you get the GT4 rear "wiggle" and the feeling that turn in is difficult. During mid corner where your car is loaded, the car bascially "auto steer" due to the outside tire toe in and inside tire toe out. So you feel like the car is turning more than you want even though you haven't break traction limit. Beyond this, they have less dynamic camber at limit, but I really don't think it is that bad since the car simply have better weight distribution and smaller/lighter.

We can toe out more on the front and toe in more at the back to help with the brake + turn in. mid corner feel however can't be easily "fixed" beyond adding stiffer suspension. But I do think that is the more of a character of the car than a flaw.

My car isn't stock, so I have enough toe to keep the rear from toe out on rebound (2.3mm per side), but I also run 1mm toe in per side in the front for freeway stability.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:45 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
10/10s on the street huh?
​​​​​​ How often are you swapping out pads?

Not very because I am not doing triple digit speeds and needing to brake heavily. Mostly on-off ramps at night when there is no traffic. Hard to put in to context. There are different forms of driving at 10/10ths. If were are talking about mountain roads or canyon carving, never at 10/10ths. If we are talking a on-off ramp, then very easy to get to 10/10ths with no traffic.

Obviously only on the roads you know.

You have to apply some common sense and not take everything so literally and apply it to all situations. If I was driving 10/10ths all the time on all roads, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Use some common sense when interpreting or perceiving sentences on a forum.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I never noticed any obvious effect of RWS in my cars, it just works transparently. 4RS actually has a longer wheelbase than 3RS and only slightly narrower tracks, and the difference in feel is mostly due to mid-engine vs rear-engine. I wanted a 4RS because it feels different from 911s and complements them, a different subjective experience but about the same objective performance capability.
Interesting. First time i drove the .1RS, I felt it immediately as did the others that drove it (we were swapping cars on a driving trip). Best way to describe it was that on slow speed tighter corners, I'd give the car steering input and then it would feel like the car added more. It was really disconcerting but over time, my brain calibrated to it. I didn't notice it at all in my 991.2 GTS as the calibrations got better in .2's across the board.

I think the effect (brain calibration) is also what happened to me with the 4RS. Initially, certain elements bothered me but the more I drove it, the less I noticed them and the more I started to love the car. Only time I really become conscious of those differences again is when I swap back and forth between the "fun" cars. They are both VERY different from one another and cause a bit of a brain reset for me.

The following users liked this post:
Odin (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 12:08 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
Mid engine cars has its own gearbox. It can’t use 911 gearboxes otherwise there would be 7 reverse gears. The best they can do is similar gear ratio. Likely it is just a beefed up gearbox with different ratio than base versions.
The 4RS has the 991.2 GT3 PDK-S gearbox with the shafts reversed and the mechanical diff from the 991.2 GT3 manual. Porsche advertised it as such. The question is whether Porsche used the GT3 ratios.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:20 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts

The 4RS has the 991.2 GT3 PDK-S gearbox with the shafts reversed and the mechanical diff from the 991.2 GT3 manual. Porsche advertised it as such. The question is whether Porsche used the GT3 ratios.
They cant have, since they stated the 4RS box was the lowest ration modern Porsche to date.
Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 12:21 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Interesting. First time i drove the .1RS, I felt it immediately as did the others that drove it (we were swapping cars on a driving trip). Best way to describe it was that on slow speed tighter corners, I'd give the car steering input and then it would feel like the car added more. It was really disconcerting but over time, my brain calibrated to it. I didn't notice it at all in my 991.2 GTS as the calibrations got better in .2's across the board.

I think the effect (brain calibration) is also what happened to me with the 4RS. Initially, certain elements bothered me but the more I drove it, the less I noticed them and the more I started to love the car. Only time I really become conscious of those differences again is when I swap back and forth between the "fun" cars. They are both VERY different from one another and cause a bit of a brain reset for me.
991.2 3RS is a different car than the 991.1 3RS. Everything is intensified in the .2. Like the 4RS, the .2 3RS was the last and best of its series, Porsche pulled out all the stops. Cayman R was similar for its series, but to a lesser degree.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:43 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts

Sound is of course subjective, and I should note that my 3RS has center muffler delete. 4RS is louder, but 3RS is pretty loud too, and like the sound of the 3RS better. Sounds more like a race car to me. 4RS sounds good to me too, but a bit loud for my taste and I'm still getting used to the air intake sounds.

3RS feels lighter and more dynamic. I feel like I can sense exactly what's happening at each corner of the car (like walking in bare feet), whereas the 4RS feels velvety and a bit insulated (like walking in comfortable running shoes). 3RS also feels like it has a sharper response to inputs. Net effect of the 3RS tell me more clearly what it's doing and responding to my inputs more sharply is that I have more confidence when driving it, so I can toss it around more

Main difference with the shifting is that the 3RS is smoother, less jolt. I prefer less jolt (or better yet, no jolt).

I have PCCB on both cars, and the brakes feel fantastic in both cars. 3RS requires a little more pedal pressure, which I like because it makes modulation easier. Main difference in how they feel on the brakes is that weight transfer is more apparent with the 3RS.

Generally, 4RS is easier to drive up to about 6 tenths, which has the downside that it can be driven somewhat mindlessly and can reduce engagement. The 3RS moves around more up to 6 tenths, and therefore asks for more attention to drive it well.

3RS is a considerably more expensive car both new and used, and what you're paying extra for is the experience. 4RS is like you go a well regarded restaurant and you find the food to be great. 3RS is like going to a restaurant and discovering that you didn't realize that food can be that good. 3RS has a wow factor that few cars have (for me, the 992 TTS and McLaren 570 definitely have it). But to the credit of the 4RS, it can deliver about the same lap time on track as the 3RS, and it does it at a lower price point, with less aero.
I’m going out on a ledge here guessing your 4RS, not driven in yet, has stock set up and your .2GT3RS is set up with new geo?

Stock the 4RS was boring and predictable. Once set up it became more agile and fun and you need to pay more attention, but the .2 3RS is absolutely more lively, I'd actually say unstable. A friend of mine, when at GotlandRing, wanted to test my 4RS, so we swapped cars for a full stint. The .2 3RS definitely felt bigger, and the brakes were nowhere near the performance of my Manthey upgraded ones. The sound was more race car for sure, but what caught me out, was when accelerating past 180kph, the car started floating around on the track. This was a heavily geo’d car. Floating to the point I backed out and exclaimed to my passenger did you feel that? Which he did.

On the second lap I was prepared and powered through to +200kph and on the last lap I was starting to appreciate the stable instability and went full bore to 240kph before breaking heavily. The car didn’t seem to drive straight, it was like it was always in a stage of pendulum, and once you got to terms with that, it was a stellar experience. I said to my passenger on my last lap “I can live with one of these!”.

Once in the pits, my friend who’s the biggest track rat I know of with at least one trip to NBR every year, came out of my car and stated “THIS CAR IS PURE PERFECTION!”, whereby I asked “As in boring?”. “No, no, no. Just different!”

On the next stint I drove my 4RS faster than ever before. I don’t like cars to move about too
much, but the .2 3RS somewhat cured that. The 4RS is so much easier to drive hard with confidence. It just makes you a better driver, and it’s like on rails. Love it to bits! Just wish I could keep myself with a .2 3RS and GT2RS also😜
lovetoturn (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 12:49 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Odin
They cant have, since they stated the 4RS box was the lowest ration modern Porsche to date.
OK we're splitting hairs, it may not be an exact version of the GT3 .2 RS PDK-S but it does use the GT3 RS PDK-S gear set and .2 RS PDK-S controller/software. All GT3 PDK-S are E diff and the 4RS is mechanical so there's a major difference. It sure performs like a PDK-S that's all I know.

Last edited by RDCR; 06-04-2024 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Left out the RS
Old 06-04-2024, 12:53 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

991.2 3RS is a different car than the 991.1 3RS. Everything is intensified in the .2. Like the 4RS, the .2 3RS was the last and best of its series, Porsche pulled out all the stops. Cayman R was similar for its series, but to a lesser degree.
Apologies. Misread. Agree that the .2 is a much different (and better) car.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:00 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

If it "looks like a duck"

The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
Ksdaoski (06-04-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:01 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

On the 4RS/SRS the mechanical diff is from the manual 991.2 GT3.
But the PDK-S gearbox is 100% from the 991.2 RS with the shafts reversed.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-04-2024 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

I’m going out on a ledge here guessing your 4RS, not driven in yet, has stock set up and your .2GT3RS is set up with new geo?

Stock the 4RS was boring and predictable. Once set up it became more agile and fun and you need to pay more attention, but the .2 3RS is absolutely more lively, I'd actually say unstable. A friend of mine, when at GotlandRing, wanted to test my 4RS, so we swapped cars for a full stint. The .2 3RS definitely felt bigger, and the brakes were nowhere near the performance of my Manthey upgraded ones. The sound was more race car for sure, but what caught me out, was when accelerating past 180kph, the car started floating around on the track. This was a heavily geo’d car. Floating to the point I backed out and exclaimed to my passenger did you feel that? Which he did.

On the second lap I was prepared and powered through to +200kph and on the last lap I was starting to appreciate the stable instability and went full bore to 240kph before breaking heavily. The car didn’t seem to drive straight, it was like it was always in a stage of pendulum, and once you got to terms with that, it was a stellar experience. I said to my passenger on my last lap “I can live with one of these!”.

Once in the pits, my friend who’s the biggest track rat I know of with at least one trip to NBR every year, came out of my car and stated “THIS CAR IS PURE PERFECTION!”, whereby I asked “As in boring?”. “No, no, no. Just different!”

On the next stint I drove my 4RS faster than ever before. I don’t like cars to move about too
much, but the .2 3RS somewhat cured that. The 4RS is so much easier to drive hard with confidence. It just makes you a better driver, and it’s like on rails. Love it to bits! Just wish I could keep myself with a .2 3RS and GT2RS also😜
Both cars have factory alignment and aero settings.

End of last season, an accomplished pro driver drove my 991.2 3RS, my 992 GT3, and someone’s 4RS on track the same day. The 4RS had a very good track setup and grippy Nankang CR-S v2 tires, and was faster than the two 911 cars. Damn impressive. I asked the pro which one he liked the most, and he said he would take the 3RS every time, “it’s just better”.

I think the 3RS you drove may have had issues with the setup. I’ve driven my car pretty hard, and it felt great, best experience I ever had on track. I’m looking forward to tracking the 4RS. Even if I like the 3RS more, the 4RS will offer something different.
lovetoturn (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:32 AM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
On the 4RS/SRS the mechanical diff is from the manual 991.2 GT3.
But the PDK-S gearbox is 100% from the 991.2 RS with the shafts reversed.
where is your sources that says the gearbox is 991.2 with shaft reversed? All material only says the about the gear ratio. Also don’t quite understand what shaft reversed mean… like somehow having gearbox just go the other way?

Last edited by VRShader; 06-04-2024 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:48 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

My experience with the .2 3RS going over turn 1 at Laguna where one is around 200 kph when the pavement drops out was that the 3RS was rock solid due to it's aero. I had the full Ventus aero package on my GT3 which supposedly provided downforce in the 4RS range. If the 4RS feels as planted there as my old GT3 I'll be a happy camper. If the 4RS has anywhere near .2 3RS levels in the real world I'll be ecstatic.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions