Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 07:07 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Since you've never been on a track you actually don't understand the difference between track tire usage and street tire usage. So yeah it's worthless information.
Do you offer advice on other things you don't know about throughout the rest of your life as well? Are you literally the Holiday inn guy? I removed a splinter with tweezers yesterday so let me go ahead and give you advice on how to remove that gallbladder.

OKAY...

I am not replying to you, as I don't like talking to brick walls. Carry on, but don't bother replying to my posts, they obviously are not for you.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
My opinions on how I think the 4RS drives or anything else I posted wasn't for you or anyone else other than the poster I replied to , hence me quoting them in my reply. So, I still don't understand why you need to interject at all. You forum police just like to try to control content don't you.

I really question your reading comprehension and taking things out of context.
It's not that. Just strange to confidently and repeatedly opine about impressions of something one hasn't actually experienced. I encourage you to try to drive a 4RS.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
Eric5280 (05-13-2024), Mr. Adair (05-13-2024), TOporschefan (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:44 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Totally understand...had race cars and highly modified street cars.
Reason why I stopped on the 4RS at DSC....dropping another $10-$15k on shocks will make it better but not that much better. As it currently is, can live with it on the road and track.
Do you have any comments and impressions for me on the improved ride quality on the 4RS with DSC? Any quirks? When I added the DSC on my 7.2 RS I picked up high pitched frequency through the radio speakers. Not good.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
Does any high-end sports car these days use passive dampers?
What's really interesting about this topic is by nature electronic dampening is the way forward. The processing speed of the frequency and reading of the road surface is so far superior to passive it's not even close. Half off the IMSA sports car field is on suspension from Multimatic which is electronic. Spend some time on their website and who they support you will be shocked. That said, you don't see it on Indycar or F1 or other open wheel series. All I know is if we are not there already we have reached a point where replacing worn out struts on a GT car means going to the dealer to replace them and the control unit instead of automatically upgrading to something passive like we did in the old days.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 05-13-2024 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:10 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
What's really interesting about this topic is by nature electronic dampening is the way forward. The processing speed of the frequency and reading of the road surface is so far superior to passive it's not even close. Half off the IMSA sports car field is on suspension from Multimatic which is electronic. Spend some time on their website and who they support you will be shocked. That said, you don't see it on Indycar or F1 or other open wheel series. All I know is if we are not there already we have reached a point where replacing worn out struts on a GT car means going to the dealer to replace them and the control unit instead of automatically upgrading to something passive like we did in the old days.
F1 had it over 30 years ago and it was banned because it was too good. My HP4 had it, and it was terrible. I would argue for motorcycle racing passive is superior.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:28 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Does any high-end sports car these days use passive dampers?
Ferrari on the 296 if you spec them , Merc AMG GT R pro ,, all MR cars which are owned and warranty by Porsche. So yes :-) if you want to go faster they al fit Passive shocks.

Why do we even have a need on a £200k car to fit a DSC box ! that's not great is it. PASM engineers must love to hold back the cars. even the 992 GTS is way too firm imo.

I have 3 718 platforms the 4RS is the worse car on the road out the 3, I cannot fault the 4.0 GTS like 1 one person did, and the 718 Spyder does what it needs to do enough but it's too soft to really take on track even PASM on. I never press the PASM button on the GTS or Spyder, it's dire a experience and just makes you want to wee. My 991.2 GT3 was better but still not that good that car still launched me out my seat and you would hit your head on the roof. I am talking about driving them pretty fast, not going to cars and coffee events under the speed limit. Thats why we get different opinions. 80% people will never even see under steer and says even a base 718 is perfect. because it just speed limit transport.

people on here who say the rear of the 4RS is ok are deluded or wearing rose tinted specs because atm it's only about 2 vs 3000 who says nothing wrong with it !, my 718 Spyder and GTS don't have the problem on bumpy roads.

the BIG question is, has "Porsche" changed the PASM settings, we really need to try and find this out. Rennlist normally is very good having an insider or some one higher up the food chain to ask. because atm the EVO review from 2022 to now make no sense. We all know the SRS works on the road now ! As does the ST over the touring ! I really hate new cars when we know it's fully adjustable just not to us !

bit like every one put up with dire gen one EPS when on the GT models it sort of worked. I hated the 981 and 991.1 range of cars just due to the EPS on those cars, I could own one. well I did buy one but sold it within 2 months. 981 GTS or the 991 GTS would have been great cars if it were not for that EPS,, I have seen after 8 years some ones can remap these now !!

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-14-2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:31 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

Porsche AG are always reading these forums and act accordingly. The first press 992GT3 cars were slated by jounos regarding its dire ride quality yet the newest cars seem better in this regard. Is this Porsche meddling behind the scene or simply familiarity playing games with our memory.
My 4RS is very sensitive to how bumpy tracks are in terms of feeling tied down. On the tracks I do it performs very well at Donnington and Anglesey. However at Oulton Park with its bumps and crests It feels under damped or oversprung. It copes well with going over corner kerbs and only seems to get confused over high speed bumps more especially when exiting them where the rebound cannot react fast enough to allow the rear springs to retain wheel contact and traction. This was made even worse on a couple of wet days I've done at Oulton in my RS. It really saps my confidence and why I'm now considering fitting a set of either Manthey or MCS coil overs. If I get a good deal I'm more likely to get the MR ones to retain both the warranty and front lift function.
All this is based on my real life experince of driving my 4RS on track. I don't use it to drive on public roads unless driving to tracks and home again. I still think its a magical car just even better with a good quality set of passive dampers. I felt the same for some other Porsches I've owned up to the 992T.
I'd have gone for Ohlims TTX if they had lift function but sadly they don't.
The following users liked this post:
jmartpr (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Taffy , I have sent you a message.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:37 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Airbag997
F1 had it over 30 years ago and it was banned because it was too good. My HP4 had it, and it was terrible. I would argue for motorcycle racing passive is superior.
The Williams FW14. That was electronically activated for ride height but the suspension was hydraulic and relatively traditional passive.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:52 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Porsche AG are always reading these forums and act accordingly. The first press 992GT3 cars were slated by jounos regarding its dire ride quality yet the newest cars seem better in this regard. Is this Porsche meddling behind the scene or simply familiarity playing games with our memory.
My 4RS is very sensitive to how bumpy tracks are in terms of feeling tied down. On the tracks I do it performs very well at Donnington and Anglesey. However at Oulton Park with its bumps and crests It feels under damped or oversprung. It copes well with going over corner kerbs and only seems to get confused over high speed bumps more especially when exiting them where the rebound cannot react fast enough to allow the rear springs to retain wheel contact and traction. This was made even worse on a couple of wet days I've done at Oulton in my RS. It really saps my confidence and why I'm now considering fitting a set of either Manthey or MCS coil overs. If I get a good deal I'm more likely to get the MR ones to retain both the warranty and front lift function.
All this is based on my real life experince of driving my 4RS on track. I don't use it to drive on public roads unless driving to tracks and home again. I still think its a magical car just even better with a good quality set of passive dampers. I felt the same for some other Porsches I've owned up to the 992T.
I'd have gone for Ohlims TTX if they had lift function but sadly they don't.
PASM has improved but like any mass produced vehicle cost is a factor even in a 200k car. It’s not sophisticated enough. Hence the DSC does help.
Taffy66 (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:05 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
The Williams FW14. That was electronically activated for ride height but the suspension was hydraulic and relatively traditional passive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_FW15C The original FW15 was a new car designed in 1992 to incorporate the active suspension changes developed by Frank Dernie and implemented on the previous season's FW14B.
Mr. Adair (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Porsche GT cars are necessarily compromised cars, because they’re trying to be both good track cars and good road cars.

I use them as track cars, and I only really expect them to be good enough on the road that I can tolerate driving them to and from the track. But sometimes I find them fun enough on the road when the roads aren’t too bad and it’s safe to drive them fast. For road-only use, I think are better choices.

And for the track, they’re not perfect, but they’re good enough for non-competition use.

I tried DSC in the 981 GT4 and didn’t feel that it really improved the car overall - better in some ways, but felt somewhat artificial.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Eric5280 (05-14-2024), Mr. Adair (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:09 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

We all want the MR car but as of late the prices are so high on the 4RS at £54k plus fitting It's just totally daft for what you get which now on the 4RS is very little. If £54k was brakes and seats and shocks/aero than all good, but the aero is limiting so really you are paying way way too much money for an MR 4RS

The SSR car looks very good value and a far better end result. for 1/2 the price.

Now we also have Silver rocket with an even cheaper price point again, add a set of MC FAL shocks to the Silver rocket aero you get a do it your self cheaper option.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:23 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
We all want the MR car but as of late the prices are so high on the 4RS at £54k plus fitting It's just totally daft for what you get which now on the 4RS is very little. If £54k was brakes and seats and shocks/aero than all good, but the aero is limiting so really you are paying way way too much money for an MR 4RS

The SSR car looks very good value and a far better end result. for 1/2 the price.

Now we also have Silver rocket with an even cheaper price point again, add a set of MC FAL shocks to the Silver rocket aero you get a do it your self cheaper option.
Is the SSR aero + suspension half the price? I thought it was also 50k+?
Old 05-14-2024, 01:58 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Is the SSR aero + suspension half the price? I thought it was also 50k+?
28.571,43EUR + TAX

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions