Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 05:50 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
54, but makes no odds imo taken people out who are 30ish and they hated it ok fora laugh but thats it . my car sounds bloody good now and i can hear and will I hope have great hearing at 85+ .
Spill the beans..
Old 07-23-2024, 06:06 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 571 Likes on 263 Posts

The best feature about this car and people trying to throw a cover over it... That's like dating Sydney Sweeney and not, ahhh nevermind. Absolute madness!
The following 3 users liked this post by lilbza:
7184RS (07-24-2024), AlexCeres (07-24-2024), MannyLon (07-24-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 06:10 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
The best feature about this car and people trying to throw a cover over it... That's like dating Sydney Sweeney and not, ahhh nevermind. Absolute madness!
it's 106db to 116db how is that nice ! if you are already deaf, that's ok if you are not you will be in 6 months :-) I only dropped it 5 db !
Old 07-23-2024, 06:10 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
Everyone has a different tolerance to noise and resonance. If people can make modifications to enjoy the car more often, more power to them. Some people like cars that are obnoxiously loud and others don’t.

I’ve only driven GT4RS in short increments and thought it was fine, but I like doing long road trips around scenic mountain roads. Hope the noise isn’t an issue in the SpyderRS i ordered.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,332 Likes on 2,465 Posts

I'm a hobbyist musician and I play rock guitar, among other things. I care about how things sound. I play and listen to rock music pretty loud - but not as loud as possible. When something is too loud, it's no longer enjoyable. Given that a substantial percentage of owners complain that this car is too loud (at high revs), but otherwise like the car, I'd say Porsche made it too loud. It's fine for a 4RS to sound different from a GT3 or 3RS, but it doesn't need to be louder than those two.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:51 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Earplugs work nice

I had a full Dundon crack pipe on my GT3 and earplugs were pretty much a requirement
The following 4 users liked this post by Xec:
AlexCeres (07-24-2024), MannyLon (07-24-2024), Mike981S (07-23-2024), Taffy66 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 11:42 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,066 Likes on 518 Posts

Well, I will share today, and yes blankets etc. won't work.

It needs to be dedicated sound and resonance reducing materials. I have already put the lightest version of butyl/aluminum "Soundskin damplifier" (.35 lbs/sqft), in partial coverage, on the floor of the cabin, fire wall, and trunk floor along with either the "DEI Under Cabin Lite" sound matt or "3M Thinsulate" Auto sound insulation. This has in general quieted the cabin down a bit for normal cruising and made it feel a bit less resonant and should I say solid.

The whole intake apparatus is another story. A combination of butyl/aluminum for the plastic resonance, a layer of 3M Thinsulate, then a layer of extra thin relatively lightweight MLV bonded to closed cell foam, then a top layer layer of 3M Thinsulate with Alcantera stitched atop, then neatly and tightly tucked under all four edges of the plastic moldings. The intake ducts will have a thinner version of this with custom Alcantara stitching as well. I have the materials but still need to do a mock up, preliminary testing, and then get the auto upholstery guy involved. It is a lot of work, but as stated earlier, a hobby. The 1/16 inch MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) membrane should be the key to killing the loudness. It only weighs a half pound per square foot for about six square feet to add about three plus extra pounds for this component. Two pounds for the butyl/alum and another two for the Thinsulate. About seven pounds all in. You can drain 6 pounds of wiper fluid out of the reservoir to cover this weight gain.

The shock towers etc were covered when I was done.

Would love to hear what mrd_spy has found out so far. Might make my next steps more pointed and accurate. Looking for more of GT3 sound or at least something in between the two cars. The high rpms are ok at the track with a helmet on that has headphone cups in it for coms, but on the street it is definitely quite extreme.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 07-24-2024 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:01 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Then the firewall.

Then the floor. Forgot to take a picture when the 3M Thinsulate was inserted between the floor and the carpet foam. It had to be precisely cut, as shown below, or the carpet would not go back down. Ask me how I know that. Trial and error when doing something new.

Then the Thinsulate was inserted in this space.

This and installing the BK harness bar and Schroth belts got spread over multiple weekends. Not for the faint of heart, but very happy with the results.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 07-24-2024 at 01:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
AlexCeres (07-24-2024), Super Stroby (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:16 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

The belts and the BK harness bar were a chore too. You have to drill two rivets out and grind down about 1/8 of an inch of the steel bracket to get it to drop back into place properly. They don't tell you about that. My mechanic warned about it so I knew it would be a PITA. Then all of the work to precisely remove carpet foam, cut tiny slivers out of the carpet, Dremel the plastic moulding, and then get it all together. I can wrap the special Schroth belt loops in my sleep now. Lots of work in the garage with the tunes cranked, but the final result was definitely worth it. So much nicer to have the 6-point harnesses now with standard HANS for all of the Gs that these cars can pull. A Simpson Hybrid-S with a locked three point belt is good and far safer than nothing, but not like the racing grade stuff.

The following 5 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
EXFIB (07-27-2024), Mike981S (07-24-2024), mrd_spy (07-24-2024), Super Stroby (07-24-2024), TDT (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:51 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

It's a data dump tonight. Plenty for you all to think about.

This is the special MLV with the closed cell foam and suede attached. Alcantera for the car itself. This was mentioned in post #1777.

1/16 inch MLV tape with foam

1/8 inch closed cell foam to put a cushioned surface of the smooth vinyl surface.

The suede or Alcantera backing.

All three layers sandwiched together with their included adhesives. Convenient in that regard.

And more of the 3M Thinsulate will go above and below in every nook and cranny to make a snug tight fit. No dead air spaces.

Here all three layers together in the car under the plastic moldings so you can see the relative size of everything. This is the stuff that has a sound deadening rating of STC 20. But it will all have to be sealed off in order to work properly.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 07-24-2024 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:04 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm a hobbyist musician and I play rock guitar, among other things. I care about how things sound. I play and listen to rock music pretty loud - but not as loud as possible. When something is too loud, it's no longer enjoyable. Given that a substantial percentage of owners complain that this car is too loud (at high revs), but otherwise like the car, I'd say Porsche made it too loud. It's fine for a 4RS to sound different from a GT3 or 3RS, but it doesn't need to be louder than those two.
Why cannot be louder when they design it differently to be blessed with the intakes just next to your ear ?

I think some will enjoy more going back to their soundless, thrillingless, auto-pilot 991 and 992 GT3s
Old 07-24-2024, 05:10 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

mine sounds great :-) deeper and a 4db reduction, not shrill and ear piercing. some say the non WP cars don't have the "piercing" carbon noise.

Mine is still loud but now sounds great, nothing like a GT3 you still get the full induction experience . my DB meter must be out any way as 116db sounds way too high vs other peoples reading, but it's the drop which matters. 116db to 112 db and 110DB if you don't quite hit 9k.

I wear ear plugs on track, but don't really want "tinnitus" thanks. Very young love loud then at 30+ regret all those years spent with earphones at 120 db.

I have not met any one who likes the sound in the cabin yet above 7k. I think it puts off a lot of buyers. OK for a lol moment but when you live with the car it's just
fatiguing. I did a 4 day trip, ended up wearing ear plus 40% of the trip, that's not pleasant either, when you spend 5 hours in the car the last thing you want to do is get back in it to goto dinner at night !
At the end of the day the noise is ear damaging them the facts, my iphone pings at me when driving "high noise" alert! it's never done this to me ever !! again if that is what people want , that's great, people goto rock concerts and stand in front of the speakers. but I am the one putting his fingers in his ears at car events when a F1 v10 car starts up and revs. You cannot repair damaged ears.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:18 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

mine sounds great :-) deeper and a 4db reduction, not shrill and ear piercing. some say the non WP cars don't have the "piercing" carbon noise.

Mine is still loud but now sounds great, nothing like a GT3 you still get the full induction experience . my DB meter must be out any way as 116db sounds way too high vs other peoples reading, but it's the drop which matters. 116db to 112 db and 110DB if you don't quite hit 9k.

I wear ear plugs on track, but don't really want "tinnitus" thanks. Very young love loud then at 30+ regret all those years spent with earphones at 120 db.

I have not met any one who likes the sound in the cabin yet above 7k. I think it puts off a lot of buyers. OK for a lol moment but when you live with the car it's just
fatiguing. I did a 4 day trip, ended up wearing ear plus 40% of the trip, that's not pleasant either, when you spend 5 hours in the car the last thing you want to do is get back in it to goto dinner at night !
At the end of the day the noise is ear damaging them the facts, my iphone pings at me when driving "high noise" alert! it's never done this to me ever !! again if that is what people want , that's great, people goto rock concerts and stand in front of the speakers. but I am the one putting his fingers in his ears at car events when a F1 v10 car starts up and revs. You cannot repair damaged ears.
4db drop is a sensible drop, still outstanding sound compared to GT3s
On track I wear earplugs as well (I was doing the same with the exige) on the street I don't find it especially bothering me yet (I still cannot go beyond 7000rpm but at that level is bearable and joyful)
Old 07-24-2024, 05:25 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

yes car is fine below 7k :-) and you can cruise about 85mph and it's also fine. it's when you are on it it's horrible, and this car makes you red line it, that's the point of the car. and the engine.
The following users liked this post:
7184RS (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:19 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

"At the end of the day the noise is ear damaging them the facts" - facts by what measure, your health and safety tests?
If they are ear damaging as you claim, Porsche will have many law suits pending..

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions