Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by VRShader
you should go try the SRS. I just did a 250 mile road trip this weekend to break in the car with mix of freeway/highway. It is very much doable. You get most of the feeling of a GT Porsche like the raw NA engine, while having a small roadster experience + reasonable ride.

You already have a 991.2 3RS. 4RS is basically a duplicate track car. Asking 4RS, which is placed at a lower price point to do so much (road and track) is a little too much to ask I think…

From my reading of your post 991.2 3RS is almost your perfect car. You like rear engine feel, light turn in, etc. Even the new 3RS is not gonna get that since from my driving 992 platform feels a bit more mid engine than before. 4RS Can’t really beat that you know.

But nothing in the price range is really comparable to a SRS. The platform is after all designed originally as a roadster.
I was torn between getting an SRS or 4RS, but went with the 4RS because I can track it and I wasn't excited about dealing with the top on the SRS. But I do expect that the SRS would be a better road car than the 4RS (I love convertibles), and I'd love to try one.

There's probably no perfect fun road car for me, although 992 GT3 and TTS, or 991.2 TTS, probably come closest, since all of those are fun, fast, and don't draw too much attention (the GT3 is white, no decals).

McLaren is the one I like driving most, but it draws a lot of unwanted attention.

991.2 3RS is a bit too intense and flashy for a road car, really wants to be on track, where it's amazing.

Cayman R is good when I'm in mood for manual, but lacks the power of the others.

As a daily weekday driver, E93 M3 convertible is my favorite lately. High-revving NA engine that sounds great, DCT which is just as good as PDK, hydraulic steering, good enough handling, comfortable, draws almost no attention. And inexpensive enough that I don't worry too much about hitting deer!

I think the 4RS is a great car, and perhaps a perfect car for some people, but just not me.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisF (Today)
Old Today, 02:22 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 124 Posts

The best street Porsche I have owned (and I'm really considering going back and getting one in addition to the 4RS) was a perfectly configured 6-speed Amethyst Metallic 718 Spyder, preferably this next time with a gear set from Deman or Sharkwerks.

If I was going to drive the car almost exclusively on the street, I'd trade the 4RS back in on a Spyder (not the SRS). It was the best Porsche I've ever had (and I've had almost every one of them except the supercars).
The following 2 users liked this post by Visceral:
Manifold (Today), TheBucketOfTruth (Today)
Old Today, 02:31 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I was torn between getting an SRS or 4RS, but went with the 4RS because I can track it and I wasn't excited about dealing with the top on the SRS. But I do expect that the SRS would be a better road car than the 4RS (I love convertibles), and I'd love to try one.

There's probably no perfect fun road car for me, although 992 GT3 and TTS, or 991.2 TTS, probably come closest, since all of those are fun, fast, and don't draw too much attention (the GT3 is white, no decals).

McLaren is the one I like driving most, but it draws a lot of unwanted attention.

991.2 3RS is a bit too intense for a road car, really wants to be on track, where it's amazing.

Cayman R is good when I'm in mood for manual, but lacks the power of the others.

As a daily weekday driver, E93 M3 convertible is my favorite lately. High-revving NA engine that sounds great, DCT which is just as good as PDK, hydraulic steering, good enough handling, comfortable, draws almost no attention. And inexpensive enough that I don't worry too much about hitting deer!

I think the 4RS is a great car, and perhaps a perfect car for some people, but just not me.
Yeah totes, I was thinking about a 458 when I bought the SRS. But I just don’t want the extra attention and not having a dealer within 200 miles. Porsches definitely have that over other brands. people don’t really know what you have vs the common boxster you see everywhere.

I also have to say that the SRS roof isn’t that bad once you owned it and did it a couple of times. Also just keep it up in bikini configuration if you don’t want to deal with it. I would definitely give it a drive if you ever get a chance. It fixes a lot of problems you have with 4RS like the sound, excessive suspension bounce/bump steer. Downside is you can’t really do serious tracking but you already have other track cars.
Old Today, 02:38 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 902 Posts

Per AP, the cars were always positioned as
GT4-->GT4RS-->GT3-->GT3RS for on track execution.
Old Today, 02:44 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Per AP, the cars were always positioned as
GT4-->GT4RS-->GT3-->GT3RS for on track execution.
I don’t think anybody is questioning that. People are mostly debating about what is more fun to drive and each car’s characteristics to help people on what to get. People have different tastes
Old Today, 04:06 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I don’t think anybody is questioning that. People are mostly debating about what is more fun to drive and each car’s characteristics to help people on what to get. People have different tastes
Exactly why you have to drive one to see if you like it. And if you don't sell it, move on. Reading pages of others opinion on what is more fun is pretty much worthless.

Last edited by sunnyr; Today at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sunnyr:
7184RS (Today), TDT (Today)
Old Today, 04:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Exactly why you have to drive one to see if you like it. And if you don't sell it, move on. Reading pages of others opinion on what is more fun is pretty much worthless.
I actually drove a 4RS three times before I bought one. But that was my friend's car, and I didn't push it as hard as I would my own car. There's also the factor that, as one drives a car more, or changes the setup of the car, impressions can change.
Old Today, 04:45 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Visceral
The best street Porsche I have owned (and I'm really considering going back and getting one in addition to the 4RS) was a perfectly configured 6-speed Amethyst Metallic 718 Spyder, preferably this next time with a gear set from Deman or Sharkwerks.

If I was going to drive the car almost exclusively on the street, I'd trade the 4RS back in on a Spyder (not the SRS). It was the best Porsche I've ever had (and I've had almost every one of them except the supercars).
Yeah definitely agree with that. Realisticly if we are only judging the car itself. A manual high spec spyder without RS is perfection.
I'll admit the reason for me getting SRS vs Spyder is really about wanting the "exclusivity", being the "last of the line" with the 250K price tag and the cup motor that everybody knows about. It is not that different from buying expensive watches or my wife wanting that 5K hand bag.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (Today)
Old Today, 04:55 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 927 Posts

I actually drove a 4RS three times before I bought one. But that was my friend's car, and I didn't push it as hard as I would my own car. There's also the factor that, as one drives a car more, or changes the setup of the car, impressions can change.

This is all absolutely true.

luckily Porsche GT cars hold their value well so they are not hard to get out of.

It is well documented now about the GT4 & 4RS shortcomings and those looking to buy now and who do their own research can find all the info. they need.

When I went into my GT4 purchase, none of this info. was out there and all the reviews from the forums, online, and YouTube were all "Porsche GT cars are the greatest thing since slice bread" and "once you go Porsche you will never leave". I totally bought into that and based on price and all those glowing reviews, my expectations were high.

I knew nothing about what it meant to have struts on all 4 corners, nor was I expecting Porsche's PASM damping profiles to be so poorly set-up and only good for smooth roads. A mini test drive did not show any shortcomings before I bought.

We all know my expectations were not met. Had we not been in the middle of Covid and supply chain issues and inflated car prices, I would have sold my GT4, but since the wait list for my second choice (C8 Z06) was 2+ years out, I choose the modding route.

I just wish all this honest and actually true feed back was avail. BEFORE I bought mine as I would have just passed from the beginning.

What still gets to me though still to this day is how you can watch a review on something like the C8 Z06 and hear the praise from how composed and settled it is and how well it handles (from those who actually matter and know how to drive like Randy & Misha), and then think about how I paid $120+K for a Porsche GT product that needs another $10K+ of suspension and suspension components to actually feel like something that is cohesive and actually feels like what you would expect for a car of this caliber.

Some of you love to bag on my comments, but put yourself in my position,, getting out of a $50K Camaro SS 1LE that was very composed, easy to drive fast, and handled VERY well, and into something that costs 3X as much and have it not drive even nearly as good. I love the GT4 for the things that the Camaro did not offer (light weight, mid-engine, PDK, interior quality), but it falls apart after that.

Last edited by TRZ06; Today at 05:05 PM.
Old Today, 05:08 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Sure, in a perfect world, you get to try out a car for extended periods before deciding to buy. But in real world, you make a calculated choice to buy a car. And If you still don't like it, sell it move on. I sold my 991.2 RS after a year, while I have my 997.2 GT3 after 12 years.

Old Today, 05:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Sure, in a perfect world, you get to try out a car for extended periods before deciding to buy. But in real world, you make a calculated choice to buy a car. And If you still don't like it, sell it move on. I sold my 991.2 RS after a year, while I have my 997.2 GT3 after 12 years.
Since I was able to get the 4RS at MSRP, my thinking was that I could try it for an extended period, and then if I don't want to keep it, I should be able to sell without loss and possibly some gain. Though I now have a thousand miles on the car, I'm not ready to render a verdict until I've played with the setup and tried it on track. I think there's a better than 50/50 chance it will be a keeper.
Old Today, 05:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06

luckily Porsche GT cars hold their value well so they are not hard to get out of.

It is well documented now about the GT4 & 4RS shortcomings and those looking to buy now and who do their own research can find all the info. they need.

When I went into my GT4 purchase, none of this info. was out there and all the reviews from the forums, online, and YouTube were all "Porsche GT cars are the greatest thing since slice bread" and "once you go Porsche you will never leave". I totally bought into that and based on price and all those glowing reviews, my expectations were high.

I knew nothing about what it meant to have struts on all 4 corners, nor was I expecting Porsche's PASM damping profiles to be so poorly set-up and only good for smooth roads. A mini test drive did not show any shortcomings before I bought.

We all know my expectations were not met. Had we not been in the middle of Covid and supply chain issues and inflated car prices, I would have sold my GT4, but since the wait list for my second choice (C8 Z06) was 2+ years out, I choose the modding route.

I just wish all this honest and actually true feed back was avail. BEFORE I bought mine as I would have just passed from the beginning.

What still gets to me though still to this day is how you can watch a review on something like the C8 Z06 and hear the praise from how composed and settled it is and how well it handles (from those who actually matter and know how to drive like Randy & Misha), and then think about how I paid $120+K for a Porsche GT product that needs another $10K+ of suspension and suspension components to actually feel like something that is cohesive and actually feels like what you would expect for a car of this caliber.

Some of you love to bag on my comments, but put yourself in my position,, getting out of a $50K Camaro SS 1LE that was very composed, easy to drive fast, and handled VERY well, and into something that costs 3X as much and have it not drive even nearly as good. I love the GT4 for the things that the Camaro did not offer (light weight, mid-engine, PDK, interior quality), but it falls apart after that.
That's why I post honest impressions of my cars, the good and the bad - to help people decide what to buy. Car reviews on YouTube tend to be overhyped in order to get views and get access to cars, and owner reviews on RL tend to be positively biased because people tend to want to rationalize their purchases and help prop up market value.

Personally, I think the 4RS was overhyped as a road car, but I do think it's worth the money as a track car, based on the track performance.
Old Today, 05:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yeah definitely agree with that. Realisticly if we are only judging the car itself. A manual high spec spyder without RS is perfection.
I'll admit the reason for me getting SRS vs Spyder is really about wanting the "exclusivity", being the "last of the line" with the 250K price tag and the cup motor that everybody knows about. It is not that different from buying expensive watches or my wife wanting that 5K hand bag.
Nothing wrong with that. We buy these cars to make us feel good (or at least better), and there are a variety of ways they can do that beyond the driving experience.
Old Today, 10:38 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

The 'shortcomings' you complained about didn't prevent the car from setting amazing lap times everywhere, including the Ring which isn't smooth by any definition.

Think you might want to switch tactics, maybe starting complaining that it doesn't have back seats, or massage chairs, or comes with slicks from the factory or not having an engine up front.

Originally Posted by TRZ06

Old Today, 10:55 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The 'shortcomings' you complained about didn't prevent the car from setting amazing lap times everywhere, including the Ring which isn't smooth by any definition.

Think you might want to switch tactics, maybe starting complaining that it doesn't have back seats, or massage chairs, or comes with slicks from the factory or not having an engine up front.
Don't worry about that person... They have never been on a track with their GT4 and keeps repeating this over and over again. They even go comment on track tires recommendation and track setup threads lol...
I think their fav car is the corvette c8 z06 (gotta get the mag ride!!!) and the Goodyear SC3. Eveything else just sucks no matter the situation. I haven't been around them too much and I already know that lol.

Last edited by VRShader; Today at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions