Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 10:34 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 569 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Am I the only one that finds this bizarre? You make your car way louder to the point that it's unbearable so you put in earplugs? And then it's just everybody else that has to tolerate it? Is it more about the tone or a performance you're after then? Is it a "some of the time it's worth it and the rest of the time it isn't" sort of thing?
I thought the same thing. Logical decision would be to put the stock exhaust back on. I don't care if the tone changes, has to be better than wearing earplugs while driving 🤦🏼‍♂️
Old 07-25-2024, 02:36 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
I thought the same thing. Logical decision would be to put the stock exhaust back on. I don't care if the tone changes, has to be better than wearing earplugs while driving 🤦🏼‍♂️
Different strokes for different folks. You have the full spectrum in here with some who are putting sound dampening in their stock vehicle.

I don't care if I have to wear double ear plugs (which my girlfriend does), I am not driving a GT car with a stock exhaust. I reverted back to stock right when I traded in the car... the stock sound is simply unacceptable.

Each one of my exhaust setups have been progressively louder. The Crack Pipe has been the most fun experience of them all, despite the ear plugs tradeoff. There are lots of Dundon Crack Pipes running around. Maybe my ears are sensitive, I presume most owners find the volume just fine

The following users liked this post:
Snowy999 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 04:58 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51
Agree with the alignment! I just did a ton of miles to get the car through break in and tracked it for the first time (second 4RS, that I tracked a lot last year before trading in). Wasnt able to get a track alignment before I picked up the car unfortunately and I felt it really needed it from experience last year. Observations:

For reference, I alternate between intermediate / advanced group depending on the club I run with.

1. Dunlop tires WOW. Like much better than Cup 2! Hardly any wear and delaminating with a long high speed track day. 80 tread wear! Very sticky. Opposite of what I was expecting. I was a big Michelin fan boy before.

2. Stock alignment not great for track. Def need this fixed. Less tire pressure in front seemed to help the understeer. Car pushed a lot. Needs to feel more “911”. Careful with 2nd gear throttle. Rear will spin! And typical cayman, hard braking gets a wiggle in the back!

3. High temp brake fluid seems needed even for a couple track days a year IMO. Felt some pedal fade.

4. Sorry everyone but LWB….i feel like I am being thrown all over this car the LWB seats do not hold me in. I actually think the 991 18 ways were the best (and better than the 992 18 ways) in my previous GT3s. I am not about to cut up a new car to put a roll bar in as it will only see a handful track days a year. Compromise to enjoy the car stock.

5. Car was flawless… but I must say I may have had 50-75% of the fun in a lightly modded BRZ to work on more car control. My instructor said he much preferred the 4RS over recently driving a 2019 3RS. I let him drive it for a half a session. GASP!

Enjoy your cars. Take them to the track. Life is short. Car feels slightly underwhelming on street driving.
I wouldn't agree. I had a 991.2 Gt3 RS then the Gt4 RS and went back to the 991.2 Gt3 RS and couldn't be happier.
JAhmed (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 05:21 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 7184RS
Going to 2 concerts in your life plus pubs is already more damaging for your audition than the time you spend between 7 and 9k on the 4RS.

With a proper db meter, the 4RS doesn't have 116db at all. My last car exhaust at 3 meters marked 107db, and it was unbearable to me, no hay the 4RS has even the same 107db
you don't track then. ? I went out without ear plus one session, had to come in after 2 laps was unbareable, you spend a lot of time at high revs thats where the power is ! If you are not at peak power buy an MX5 ! it would be faster :-p

every review has the car at circa 104 to 107 DB. it's f4cking loud, you have not been above 7k revs yet !

MY iphone in 10 years has never trigered a noise alert !!! it does every drive out in the 4rS !!

you also messure the exhaust at 3 meter away, the air induction noise is louder than my exhaust and is a few inch behind my ears !!! I find it totally unbarebale when on it.as do every one who's been out in it.

thats Why i also have to lol at anyone fitting an exhaust or over axel pipe to a 4RS. why ? you cannot hear it, so you are doing it to be an asbo **** ? plus then no track days either then.

my 116 db is low look here "

LOUDEST CAR IN THE WORLD!? Porsche GT4 RS does 120dB at TOP SPEED!"

harry also got 116db like me.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 07-25-2024 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:26 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
All these hearing issues are why I am going all in on noise suppression for this car. I am hoping to keep it for a long time. Hearing loss and tinnitus are real problems in modern society, and I see people every week in my office for such complaints. Anything you can do to mitigate loud noises throughout your life will pay dividends when you get older. As stated earlier, the effects are permanent and cumulative.
people are deluded, best to have your hearing imo, as you say 24% people now have hearing issues and it's growing with in ear ear phone use.

People saying it's not loud must just have them sitting in the garage ! it's bull****. does my head in the lies on forums or the hype on cars people own when most are VIP garage queens.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:39 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
you don't track then. ? I went out without ear plus one session, had to come in after 2 laps was unbareable, you spend a lot of time at high revs thats where the power is ! If you are not at peak power buy an MX5 ! it would be faster :-p

every review has the car at circa 104 to 107 DB. it's f4cking loud, you have not been above 7k revs yet !
Yes I track...that is why I said that I use earplugs when I'm on track, where the helmet's could make it even worse due to sound rumbling

Yes..reviews with what ? An iphone microphone ? 107db was measured 3 meters from my lotus exhaust ...put your ear there ....not even close to a Lotus at 7k-8k that is supposed to be the range of 100-105db. And yes...I've done the break-in so full range ....

And btw, don't get me wrong the car is LOUD and I'm totally pro hearing safety and care...I have tinnitus (idiopathic so based of doctors opinion for no reason ..I'm not a music or concerts guy at all) with a bit of hyperacusis myself, so when a sound bothers me (usually earlier than to anyone else due to hyperacusis) I literally run away from it. I was scared about the loudness of the 4RS watching reviews ...the reality is radically different even more due to the time you stay in the 7-9k rpm range (apart from track obvs)

Last edited by 7184RS; 07-25-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:44 AM
7184RS
Instructor

MY iphone in 10 years has never trigered a noise alert !!! it does every drive out in the 4rS !!

you also messure the exhaust at 3 meter away, the air induction noise is louder than my exhaust and is a few inch behind my ears !!! I find it totally unbarebale when on it.as do every one who's been out in it.

thats Why i also have to lol at anyone fitting an exhaust or over axel pipe to a 4RS. why ? you cannot hear it, so you are doing it to be an asbo **** ? plus then no track days either then.

https://youtu.be/H6Mj5wchz-o?si=nYmSh2FxMoGAB1-o my 116 db is low look here "

LOUDEST CAR IN THE WORLD!? Porsche GT4 RS does 120dB at TOP SPEED!"

harry also got 116db like me.
https://youtu.be/hEGaKBkKRs4?si=HTUxhW5Oaj4IouUC

This way of measuring the sound is utter BS...stop believing random videos of your favourite guys in YT...

120db hahahahaha...that is a fecking plane taking off or a firework exploding next to you.... Let's be serious..

Last edited by 7184RS; 07-25-2024 at 05:52 AM.
BlazinPond (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:50 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

people are deluded, best to have your hearing imo, as you say 24% people now have hearing issues and it's growing with in ear ear phone use.

People saying it's not loud must just have them sitting in the garage ! it's bull****. does my head in the lies on forums or the hype on cars people own when most are VIP garage queens.
love the way you criticize everyone who verges from your viewpoint..
The following 2 users liked this post by MannyLon:
7184RS (07-25-2024), Mr. Adair (07-27-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:13 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 225 Posts

I know plenty of people with the car not complaining it's too loud and I've spend 2 days as a passenger driving around mountain roads at high revs with no complaint. Is it the best things for my hearing - probably not, but I'm not complaining about it. Is it loud, sure, but everyone is different and just because you don't like it doesn't mean a lot of people feel the same.
TOporschefan (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,332 Likes on 2,465 Posts

I'm not concerned with hearing damage with the 4RS, but it's too loud for my liking. My 991.2 3RS has a center muffler delete and is pretty loud as sports cars go, but it's not too loud for my liking, and I actually find the sound level to be perfect for an RS car.
mrd_spy (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:31 AM
sbsurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't find it too loud at all...in fact I wanted it louder so I added OAP's and now its just about perfect. It's waaaay quieter than the two muscle cars I have. My 66 Chevelle with a 600hp all aluminum 427 stroked to 489 makes the 4RS seem quiet...that thing sounds like a damn NASCAR, and I love it.
EXFIB (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 08:57 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Originally Posted by 7184RS
This way of measuring the sound is utter BS...stop believing random videos of your favourite guys in YT...

120db hahahahaha...that is a fecking plane taking off or a firework exploding next to you.... Let's be serious..
says the owner who has not been above 7k revs let alone done 300kph in the car !

when exposure to sounds is not good for you above 85db for long periods , who cares if the readings are 106db or 116db or just even 95db ? these numbers are way above the recommended 85DB limits proven to cause hearing loss. Any one saying other wise sorry to say is being a bit Pedantic, for what gain ?

I have just tested my cheap digital one vs my higher end hi-fi analog one it does read 7 db higher which would make my 4RS 109DB inside with my hi end one lets say give or take 5 DB :-) thats still 104db , it's just hard to use that one while driving due to being a needle type and not able to keep a peak setting. the numbers are meaningless really hence my pedantic comment, I bought a digital meter to record a DB drop when testing how to make it more livable in the cabin on longer WOT runs.

The 4RS IS loud inside and high pitched, some might love it. it hurts my ears on track and on longer runs when u are driving like mad man for 5 hours over taking cars and hitting >8k often it's very tiring and imo a serious health issue long term for my hearing. I am not willing to live with it or take the risk hence trying out things to drop it a few DB at least.
I think the higher pitched noise is far worse than just being "loud" and people do say the non WP cars may not do it to the same degree.

I have a 5 db drop now with a mod and it's still an exciting and fun sound, I would still wear earplugs on track though as the power is all up top in the 4RS. on the road a 5 DB drop for short busts for me is a great result.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 07-26-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,332 Likes on 2,465 Posts

says the owner who has not been above 7k revs let alone done 300kph in the car !

when exposure to sounds is not good for you above 85db for long periods , who cares if the readings are 106db or 116db or just even 95db ? these numbers are way above the recommended 85DB limits proven to cause hearing loss. Any one saying other wise sorry to say is being a bit Pedantic, for what gain ?

I have just tested my cheap digital one vs my higher end hi-fi analog one it does read 7 db higher which would make my 4RS 109DB inside with my hi end one lets say give or take 5 DB :-) thats still 104db , it's just hard to use that one while driving due to being a needle type and not able to keep a peak setting. the numbers are meaningless really hence my pedantic comment, I bought a digital meter to record a DB drop when testing how to make it more livable in the cabin on longer WOT runs.

The 4RS IS loud inside and high pitched, some might love it. it hurts my ears on track and on longer runs when u are driving like mad man for 5 hours over taking cars and hitting >8k often it's very tiring and imo a serious health issue long term for my hearing. I am not willing to live with it or take the risk hence trying out things to drop it a few DB at least.
I think the higher pitched noise is far worse than just being "loud" and people do say the non WP cars may not do it to the same degree.
The high pitch and the amount of high frequency content is what I don’t care for. It’s a thinner and raspier sound.

992 GT3 sound filters out a lot of the highs and sounds smoother, with more midrange and bass, more muscular overall.

Best sound I’ve gotten out of the 4RS is with windows down and sport exhaust on.
mrd_spy (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:15 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not concerned with hearing damage with the 4RS, but it's too loud for my liking. My 991.2 3RS has a center muffler delete and is pretty loud as sports cars go, but it's not too loud for my liking, and I actually find the sound level to be perfect for an RS car.
I also ran a 991.2 with rear delete, it's no where near as loud as the 4RS in the cabin. what a sound on WOT though :-) as you said fun I think it was too loud if you were in the car behind though lol my mate said he could not hear is own car only mine...
The following 2 users liked this post by mrd_spy:
jabwind51 (07-27-2024), Manifold (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:39 PM
7184RS
Instructor

"...I've done the break-in so full range ...."

Yes better buy 100 earplugs and keep your hearing, you already lost your capacity to read replies.....

OncPorsche (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions