Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Current Marker for Used Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 09:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Correct...
I'll just go with that. Moving on.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:21 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Wowee zowee, I remember when talking about cars used to be fun. So much fighting over a $20k difference....that's why I hate what the GT car market has become. When I joined this forum as a young person in the late 2000s, people who had GT3s didn't really care if they lost $20k in the first year from new.
The following 2 users liked this post by maroli:
josephr25 (11-17-2022), Lucifer (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 11:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
Wowee zowee, I remember when talking about cars used to be fun. So much fighting over a $20k difference....that's why I hate what the GT car market has become. When I joined this forum as a young person in the late 2000s, people who had GT3s didn't really care if they lost $20k in the first year from new.
The market for any car is what it is. I have probably paid more for a car in the past than many here would but I got a car with all the work done, and I liked it so I bought it - what is wrong with that? And vice-versa is true: if I list a car for what some might say is too much that is my business, and the market will dictate the price; however, there are a lot of unique P-cars out there that people are willing to be a premium for. Again, what is wrong with that?
Old 11-13-2022, 11:43 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
The market for any car is what it is. I have probably paid more for a car in the past than many here would but I got a car with all the work done, and I liked it so I bought it - what is wrong with that? And vice-versa is true: if I list a car for what some might say is too much that is my business, and the market will dictate the price; however, there are a lot of unique P-cars out there that people are willing to be a premium for. Again, what is wrong with that?
This is how I sold a Mustang I owned several vehicles ago. Some people wanted a completely stock car but some buyers are looking for turnkey modified vehicles that are already sorted out and it’s worth a premium to them since the work is already done. At the end of the day any given item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:35 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

There's more drama going on here than a soap opera...Man, you guys get triggered so easily. Just light up a ganja and breathe y'all.

We all have our opinions about pricing of cars. If you think a particular cars asking price is too high just PM the original poster and have an adult conversation in private. At the end of the day it will still be up to him to decide how much to ask. If it's too much no one will be interested and will have to lower the asking price or simply keep the car. A car I may never want may be the perfectly specced car for another individual. While forum rules don't prohibit commenting on a thread in a subforum, would you like it if it was your thread and people calling you out or calling you names? Probably not. A few months ago the market was much, much hotter and Bob probably got an offer at his stated price. Maybe it was not a serious offer but a conversation between two car enthusiasts. Now is a different scenario with the economy being so uncertain, not just for Bob's car but all of ours.

And let's please not call each other names or insult each other. We're too old for this. Empathy makes the world go round.
The following 3 users liked this post by sin911:
SpeedySpidey (11-14-2022), SpyderSenseOC (11-14-2022), StilettoPat (11-16-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:43 AM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 128 Posts

These forums and this thread is also used by potential buyers trying to understand market values while shopping for cars. The idea that users can't make negative comments about a car or its price in a market-pricing thread seems sorta ridiculous. In a valuation discussion, negative comments are just as useful as positive comments.

In other threads where someone just posts "hey look at my car" without respect to valuation, negative comments about value seem rude or uncalled for as a matter of manners. But when the question is value, and one person says "$X because ABC" and someone else says "70% of $X because of DEF", both need to be seen to have any use to the buyer who is relying on the expertise of the forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by 993TurboS:
Klepper (11-14-2022), LISsailor (11-14-2022), SpyderSenseOC (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:48 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Asking prices mean nothing so until a car sells there is no useful sales data on it. When I sell my car I will post the sales price but until then any talk about my car means nothing. And as someone else stated my car appears to be an outlier so in respect to most other Spyders what it sells for will probably not be an indication of the market value.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

This has been both invigorating and enlightening
Old 11-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
These forums and this thread is also used by potential buyers trying to understand market values while shopping for cars. The idea that users can't make negative comments about a car or its price in a market-pricing thread seems sorta ridiculous. In a valuation discussion, negative comments are just as useful as positive comments.

In other threads where someone just posts "hey look at my car" without respect to valuation, negative comments about value seem rude or uncalled for as a matter of manners. But when the question is value, and one person says "$X because ABC" and someone else says "70% of $X because of DEF", both need to be seen to have any use to the buyer who is relying on the expertise of the forum.
That’s crazy talk.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:20 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993TurboS

Of course we should be discussing pricing on the forum as it's informative for all of us about the market conditions whether we're owners or potential buyers. There are multiple threads like this one and others like it keeping track of sold or for sale GT4/Spyder/GTS'es where discussing the pricing is the whole point to them. But we should try to avoid commenting negatively on pricing on someone's own for sale thread or cross post informing of the sale. Also I think the tone, or approach, is everything. There is a difference between saying 'I don't think the market is that hot right now' vs. 'what have you been smoking'. Just would like everyone on the forum to get along better as we're all enthusiasts and this is meant to be a community.
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
SpyderSenseOC (11-15-2022), Zeus993 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Granted it's a 2016 981 Spyder but this deserves some attention. Low, low miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-35/
Old 11-16-2022, 10:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Seems like all of the GT4s and Spyders listed in the Marketplace in the past two months are sitting unsold, even the one that’s priced reasonably. That is a bit surprising to me.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:30 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Seems like all of the GT4s and Spyders listed in the Marketplace in the past two months are sitting unsold, even the one that’s priced reasonably. That is a bit surprising to me.
There is a 991.2 GT3 Touring sitting in the marketplace at $185k which is shocking! The demand overall has gone down as J Powell keeps pounding on high interest rate hikes and people are scared. His intimidation tactics are clearly working. They will start slowing the hikes soon after the next meeting in December if inflation numbers keep climbing down like this.

For people that have a healthy cash reserve sitting on the sidelines it is a good time to be hunting cars.
The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:51 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

To buy one of these cars you either to finance at a higher interest rate or sell some stocks at a loss to get the funds. Even if you're sitting on cash you need to decide if you want to spend it on a car or take advantage of stocks and real estate both being on sale. It's no surprise the market has slowed as two seater sports cars are the least essential cars. If I were buying one today, no way in hell would I be paying an ADM.
Lucifer (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:03 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
There is a 991.2 GT3 Touring sitting in the marketplace at $185k which is shocking! ...
I simply do NOT get the mania over the gt3 touring. To pay more for one than a std gt3 just hurts my head. I get that some people don't want the wing, but for me at least, the rear end of the 911 just looks bland - bulbous - incomplete without some spoiler or feature there.
rwm (11-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Current Marker for Used Spyder