Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Softronic Tune Discussion and First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 02:53 PM
trez63
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I had the tune for a while but had to remove it since Scott sent me the OBD handheld tuner and I really noticed the difference after driving it tuned - it felt like a slug compared to when it was tuned! That may be a bit of an exaggeration but even my wife as a passenger could tell the difference - she said without the tune there did not seem to be nearly the same amount of "pull".
GT4 or GTS?
Old 01-27-2022, 02:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by trez63
GT4 or GTS?
<--- Look left
Old 01-27-2022, 02:57 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mgd7444
FYI for owners of recently produced cars, I bought the Softronic software and sent them my OEM file. They said my ECU is so new, it has a different revision, and the ECU would need to be sent in to Softronic. They claim once someone with a newer ECU does this, they will have an OBD only solution. Mine is a '22 built in October
This is interesting. My 2022 Spyder was produced in July - apparently, I had the older ECU as Scott was able to work with my OEM file.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM
mgd7444
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by trez63
GT4 or GTS?
GTS
Old 01-27-2022, 03:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgd7444
FYI for owners of recently produced cars, I bought the Softronic software and sent them my OEM file. They said my ECU is so new, it has a different revision, and the ECU would need to be sent in to Softronic. They claim once someone with a newer ECU does this, they will have an OBD only solution. Mine is a '22 built in October
Don't let that deter you. I got the tune before Scott included the handheld so I had to send him my ECU/DME. It took 10 minutes to remove it and when he got it he overnighted it back so even if you sent it to him via Priority mail you can back and running with the tune in 4 days!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Russv
Maybe because someone has an informed answer, would like to enlighten other members, and doesn’t complain about why the warranty comment always comes up.
Originally Posted by dmboone25
I'm guessing that @hoosierdaddy 's point is that this sort of modification is an "assumption of the risk" situation. Such that, manufacturers that are being asked to repair or place parts under warranty are likely going to have methodologies available to determine if a particular modification was the primary cause for said failure. Thus, if you're looking to modify the factory ECU, you do so with the full knowledge and understanding that it could have an impact on future warranty claims (presumably those that are connected to the drivetrain or transmission).
Exactly my point
Old 01-27-2022, 08:36 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

Hello All,
Wow so many questions yet most have been answered many times over the years. Owning Softronic and also worked for Porsche etc... I didn't want have to list all my credentials again as I have for many years published and online.

Anyways a large PCA group will be having a Zoom Tech session being on all tech for Porsche yet mostly on tuning and I will be on it as a Porsche Tech. Expert. . I used to do many of these in person yet now with Zoom we thought to try it out. Let me know if your interested in it and send me an email at Info@softronicsoftware.com . I would suggest that people record the session and post or use for ref in the future.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

The following 4 users liked this post by Softronic:
CDACH (01-28-2022), GT3FZS (04-04-2022), HooosierDaddy (01-28-2022), Ramon Vennik (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 04:31 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello All,
Wow so many questions yet most have been answered many times over the years. Owning Softronic and also worked for Porsche etc... I didn't want have to list all my credentials again as I have for many years published and online.

Anyways a large PCA group will be having a Zoom Tech session being on all tech for Porsche yet mostly on tuning and I will be on it as a Porsche Tech. Expert. . I used to do many of these in person yet now with Zoom we thought to try it out. Let me know if your interested in it and send me an email at Info@softronicsoftware.com . I would suggest that people record the session and post or use for ref in the future.

Best,
Scott
sound interesting, count me in.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:57 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts
Default Softronic Tune 718 Spyder First Impressions

Wanted to give my first impressions of the Softronic tune for the 718 Spyder. First of all, Scott at Softronic has always been supportive and did a great job delivering on this as he did for my previous tune for my 991TT.

As noted, it took well over 60 miles of adaptation to feel right, and unlike the tune for a turbo car, this one feels subtle. Per butt dyno, tune feels like it has added some torque to the top end above 4k rpm and all the way to 8200, with the slight higher redline landing you in a better spot for next gear so car definitely feels faster.

I requested that the auto-off be left stock which Scott did and after the adaptation this works perfectly, including 3-cylinder activation, which I happen to enjoy (don't ask, better economy and sounds like a different engine, lol). The auto-blip works perfectly as in stock form.

When it comes to the sport exhaust button, when button is pressed the sports exhaust in on at all rpm's and that really feels great because it gives the driver full control. The downside is that the engine sounds loud at low rpm with a non-harmonious tune which gets better with revs but I think that's probably one the reasons Porsche turns it on and off at different rpms from the factory (in addition to sound regulations). This has made me appreciate the stock exhaust on-off rpm-dependent gymnastics that Porsche does in stock form. Also with the softronic tune these rpm-dependent sports exhaust activations are gone so when sport exhaust button is not pushed the exhaust stays in quiet mode throughout the rev range and you don't get that delicious loudness increase around 4k rpm which I enjoyed in stock form.

So overall, I am very happy with this tune and commend Scott on delivering once again. Car feels a little more uncorked and lively and rowdy, definitely worth it.

Last edited by catdog2; 02-07-2022 at 03:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by catdog2:
dnimi123 (02-10-2022), Frank Torres (02-07-2022), MaddMike (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Frank Torres
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 113 Posts

I really appreciate you sharing your personal experience. I’ve been on the fence about this as I’ve never tuned an NA car before. If the experiment is made better then why not?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:42 AM
elmmx5
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm disappointed to hear that the sport exhaust mode behavior extends to quiet mode as well. In a perfect world, I'd want quiet mode to function as it did while stock and then have full control over sport exhaust mode.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 09:48 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Wanted to give my first impressions of the Softronic tune for the 718 Spyder. First of all, Scott at Softronic has always been supportive and did a great job delivering on this as he did for my previous tune for my 991TT.

As noted, it took well over 60 miles of adaptation to feel right, and unlike the tune for a turbo car, this one feels subtle. Per butt dyno, tune feels like it has added some torque to the top end above 4k rpm and all the way to 8200, with the slight higher redline landing you in a better spot for next gear so car definitely feels faster.

I requested that the auto-off be left stock which Scott did and after the adaptation this works perfectly, including 3-cylinder activation, which I happen to enjoy (don't ask, better economy and sounds like a different engine, lol). The auto-blip works perfectly as in stock form.

When it comes to the sport exhaust button, when button is pressed the sports exhaust in on at all rpm's and that really feels great because it gives the driver full control. The downside is that the engine sounds loud at low rpm with a non-harmonious tune which gets better with revs but I think that's probably one the reasons Porsche turns it on and off at different rpms from the factory (in addition to sound regulations). This has made me appreciate the stock exhaust on-off rpm-dependent gymnastics that Porsche does in stock form. Also with the softronic tune these rpm-dependent sports exhaust activations are gone so when sport exhaust button is not pushed the exhaust stays in quiet mode throughout the rev range and you don't get that delicious loudness increase around 4k rpm which I enjoyed in stock form.

So overall, I am very happy with this tune and commend Scott on delivering once again. Car feels a little more uncorked and lively and rowdy, definitely worth it.
I just installed their tune in my 981 Spyder this weekend. Love it so far. Really wakes up the car and, according to Softronic, put it on par with the 718 Spyder. I plan on getting it on my 718 Spyder when it gets here.

I actually liked the way the car felt so much after the tune that it had me questioning my decision to go to the 718 Spyder.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-07-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:20 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elmmx5
I'm disappointed to hear that the sport exhaust mode behavior extends to quiet mode as well. In a perfect world, I'd want quiet mode to function as it did while stock and then have full control over sport exhaust mode.
Talk to Scott about what options he can incorporate into his tune. I went all-in on mine for my Spyder but I think he can customize it the way you want it to be.

In regards to the tune, it may seem subtle but that it what I like since driveability is unchanged at low speeds, but step on it and you know it is not stock. I had the tune installed for a while and then uninstalled for a little bit before I got my handheld and that is when I really noticed the difference!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
GT3FZS (02-11-2022), Larry Cable (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:33 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Talk to Scott about what options he can incorporate into his tune. I went all-in on mine for my Spyder but I think he can customize it the way you want it to be.

In regards to the tune, it may seem subtle but that it what I like since driveability is unchanged at low speeds, but step on it and you know it is not stock. I had the tune installed for a while and then uninstalled for a little bit before I got my handheld and that is when I really noticed the difference!
this - my tune only disables the cylinder deactivation... I have the t-designs module for A.S.S and I dont want the exhaust valve behavior modified ... my "jury is still out" on the overall merit/value of the tune performance-wise...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 02-07-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:58 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

@Bob Z. and @Larry Cable I did talk to Scott and had the setup that I wanted with keeping the auto stop and cylinder deactivation and enabling sport exhaust button to open up the exhaust fully at all rpm. Will check again with him as to why the exhaust strategy in the off sport exhaust position has also been changed to exhaust quiet at all rpm's instead of keeping the stock strategy, will reach out again and post update.

Last edited by catdog2; 02-07-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: The Softronic Tune Discussion and First Impressions