Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Softronic Tune Discussion and First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:14 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Just as a heads up I will be in Key West Fl from December 22 -27 so if anyone is down there and wants to touch base let me know as I like to say hello to all my customers or those who just want to talk Porsche You can PM me any details. I will also bring down several MyGenius units to give to my current customers that had a bench flash originally for free. The others I will ship one to you.

Best,
Scott
good guy Scott
Old 01-24-2022, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
For as long as I've been on the internet people have been arguing over horsepower gains claimed by vendors. There is always the element of marketing and there is no such thing as lies in this case because you can always devise a scenario where the gains can be realized on a dyno even if it's not representative of the real world.

I've not looked at the website - if you include the 4.0 GTS I suppose you could see closer to 30 HP because that car has had the 4.0 pinched a little to be 20 HP (on paper) behind the GT4.
Well they say 440 HP which is fair and realistic enough. It's just that a stock GT4 has about 430 to begin with, and Softronic only mentions the rated stock number which is also fair. Since they mention absolute numbers and not +XX HP I think there's nothing wrong with that.
Dyno'd on a MAHA MSR dyno which is the industry standard... I made a topic on it. Ehresmann in Germany sees the same numbers on the one he goes to at MTO Engineering. There's also 2 German tuners with slightly different dyno''s and they got 431 and 433 respectively. Something like a 991.2 GT3 generally gets bang on 500 HP there.

Nobody has strapped a GTS 4.0 to one as far as I have seen but that car doesn't really feel slower and gets similar rolling accel numbers so it's probably 10-15 underrated as well.
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Tune on the GTS would make a noticeable difference +30HP, but doubt worth doing this tune on a GT4 for +10-15HP. Now way you'd get more than 430HP (+15) with a tune on this NA engine. That said, there is more than power which tunes can provide, such driveability and throttle response..
this from personal "a$$ in the seat experience" ...
Old 01-24-2022, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I flashed my M engineering tune many times on my super light 12,5 Ah (actual) Li-Ion batt. No issue, in fact I was tracking the current draw and capacity on the LiteBlox app and it only used a couple % of the battery for each 5 minute flash. Also, Li batts are very good at keeping the voltage high right up to the point where they run out of charge anyway so you won't have any issues IMO.
Yeah I connected my existing 6amp 12v Schumacher battery charger to my Ag 40Ah Li-ion battery while I flashed the car ... no issues, probably didn't even need the charger - battery was around 97% charged at start
Old 01-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I have never used a charger, etc. when tuning, and did not this time with my Softronic tune - no problems at all.
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (10-05-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 03:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have never used a charger, etc. when tuning, and did not this time with my Softronic tune - no problems at all.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:14 PM
DFI
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Softronic states to connect a battery tender when downloading the new software. If you experience was like mine when the aux fans turned on and kicked into high you were happy that the tender was on. I imagine the draw with the download and all systems running on strictly battery is a huge. The thought of the battery going dead in the middle of tuning :-(
Old 01-24-2022, 03:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFI
Softronic states to connect a battery tender when downloading the new software. If you experience was like mine when the aux fans turned on and kicked into high you were happy that the tender was on. I imagine the draw with the download and all systems running on strictly battery is a huge. The thought of the battery going dead in the middle of tuning :-(
this! - interestingly when I flashed my Spyder at the weekend the fans did not kick in during the flash operation

my theory "better safe than sorry" the last thing you want is a bricked ECU!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:36 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this! - interestingly when I flashed my Spyder at the weekend the fans did not kick in during the flash operation

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one...I was concerned that something went wrong when the fan did not kick on as Softronic's directions specifically indicated that the fan kicking on was "normal'.....
Old 01-24-2022, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one...I was concerned that something went wrong when the fan did not kick on as Softronic's directions specifically indicated that the fan kicking on was "normal'.....
either that or we are both f****d!

previously when I flashed my 991.1 GTS with a Cobb Accessport the fans did kick in ... so I was expecting the same on the Spyder - but the MyGenuius claimed everything went well so I assume I am flashed! - and the car did start afterwards too - so that's a plus!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

previously when I flashed my 991.1 GTS with a Cobb Accessport the fans did kick in ... so I was expecting the same on the Spyder - but the MyGenuius claimed everything went well so I assume I am flashed! - and the car did start afterwards too - so that's a plus!
We have the fans turned Off for the 718 GT4, Spyder, GTS and for the 992's. They can run on some of the other DME's though.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

We have the fans turned Off for the 718 GT4, Spyder, GTS and for the 992's. They can run on some of the other DME's though.

Best,
Scott
Old 01-24-2022, 03:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

@Softronic any "advice" on driving style during ECU "relearning" period - drive "normal" or "b*lls to the wall"?
Old 01-24-2022, 03:49 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

@Softronic any "advice" on driving style during ECU "relearning" period - drive "normal" or "b*lls to the wall"?
I always say drive it like you stole it .

Best,
Scott
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (10-05-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 03:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Best,
Scott

Old 01-25-2022, 11:32 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Tgr

Same for me, thought it was odd it didn't turn on but everything happed as intended. My latest flash only took a couple minutes so that had me nervous as well, but for the short time I drove it everything seemed to be spot on.

Best,
Scott
Now you tell me! I'm gonna have to start over and teach that b!tch a lesson!

On the latest REV file you sent me (to control the exhaust valves) I have a question. In regards to the Auto start stop I know it's turned off but what about the cylinder deactivation? Is it still active by default and if I push the button (turning light on) the cylinder deactivation stops to function? Oh, the exhaust valve control is bad a$$ BTW! This feature is what pushed me over the edge to do the catless headers and a full tune!

Quick Reply: The Softronic Tune Discussion and First Impressions