Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022 | 04:00 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You'd be surprised. I know my numbers even before the Canadian dealers. I even know which dealer who just got one taken away.
what numbers you think ww?
Old 02-12-2022 | 10:16 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I am the one that leaked the 200 car number.

Narrowing it down for the dealers, 5 in GTA. North Toronto is owned by Porsche Canada, so no funny business there. Pfaff has the biggest volume in all of Canada, they get the most allocations. Can safely check them off also. That leaves Downtown, Oakville and Markham. Markham is owned by Pfaff also so allocations can be shared. Leaving only Downtown and Oakville as the suspects.
No funny business at PCNT? Sales rep there told me they are all about maximizing revenue. Showed me a GT4 that a customer bought used, held for few months and traded on a 991.2 GT3 allocation, eluded to fact that he lost on trade. That was a planned purchase and trade. A sales mgr at another dealer told me he lost a customer to them for GT3 allocation but they got the guy to buy a boxster and Macan.

Last edited by SToronto; 02-12-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2022 | 10:33 PM
Mavzyx
Rennlist Member

Honestly, why does everyone care so much about how many cars Porsche will produce. I plan on driving and enjoying mine...
Old 02-12-2022 | 10:47 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mavzyx
Honestly, why does everyone care so much about how many cars Porsche will produce. I plan on driving and enjoying mine...
easy to say when you’ve got one lol
The following 4 users liked this post by UncleDude:
bpeacock (02-12-2022), FazedChicken (02-13-2022), westcoastj (03-24-2022), Zhao (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022 | 10:49 PM
Mavzyx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
easy to say when you’ve got one lol
They're going to build plenty. Just have some patience.
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022 | 12:51 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Is that first round allocation or total? Any idea on the numbers Stateside?
First round is done. PCNA and PCL are withholding second round allocations pending factory scheduling and also disciplinary actions against unscrupulous dealers.

I don't have exact numbers for PCNA. Only PCL. But based on historic data PCNA will get 10 times the amount of what PCL gets. So roughly 2000 cars for the 2 year production.
Old 02-13-2022 | 01:04 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
No funny business at PCNT? Sales rep there told me they are all about maximizing revenue. Showed me a GT4 that a customer bought used, held for few months and traded on a 991.2 GT3 allocation, eluded to fact that he lost on trade. That was a planned purchase and trade. A sales mgr at another dealer told me he lost a customer to them for GT3 allocation but they got the guy to buy a boxster and Macan.
Maximizing revenue isn't the same as dishonest business practice, aka funny business.

Porsche Canada's HQ literally sits right on top of the showroom. The CEO of PCL walks through the dealership and see things just about everyday.

Unless a number is written in black and white, trade value after can go up and down.

I once did the Ferrari dealer a favour, by taking their unsold FF, at the same time while I was signing the purchase contract, I got them to agreed upon a buy back price, which is printed on a sales contract for another car I am ordering which we both signed. There is no wiggle room whatsoever. They lost money on the buy back but since it was black and white, they have to take it on their back side or screw me over.

Agreeing to buy a car or two in order to gain 'admission' to purchase a 'hard to get' car isn't funny business either. You see at Safeway all the time when they advertise buy 3 get 1 free. I get to buy 4 bottles of Coke for $6.00 at $1.50 a bottle, while you have to pay $3.33 for one bottle.

We lived in a capitalism society, the 'can' will always have the advantage. Or the smart ones.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 02-13-2022 at 01:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
AlexCeres (02-13-2022), KLCC 88 (02-13-2022), Porsche2014 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022 | 01:06 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DK7
what numbers you think ww?
Worldwide? Based on historic data? 4000-6000.

USA mostly get 1/3 of all cars. Sometimes the percentage is bigger.
Old 02-13-2022 | 01:10 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't name the dealer, but why did they have their allocation taken away? Too bad the US doesn't have any Porsche owned dealerships.
Some funny business they did that came to light a while after.

People may think it's pointless to complaint higher up for stuff. But dealers and the distributors are completely different entities. Distributors are an extension of Porsche, but dealers aren't. Mostly.
Old 02-13-2022 | 06:59 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

There's a used car dealership near me in WI that seemed to get endless "used" GT cars with less than 1000 miles, all imported from Canada. Originating from Pfaff Porsche. Their pool right now is dried up and limited to 2 Macans. But all their new Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes are following the same pattern. Clearly the market and currency arbitrage is working. But also takes originating dealership to be in on it.
Old 02-13-2022 | 08:45 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Maximizing revenue isn't the same as dishonest business practice, aka funny business.

Porsche Canada's HQ literally sits right on top of the showroom. The CEO of PCL walks through the dealership and see things just about everyday.

Unless a number is written in black and white, trade value after can go up and down.

I once did the Ferrari dealer a favour, by taking their unsold FF, at the same time while I was signing the purchase contract, I got them to agreed upon a buy back price, which is printed on a sales contract for another car I am ordering which we both signed. There is no wiggle room whatsoever. They lost money on the buy back but since it was black and white, they have to take it on their back side or screw me over.

Agreeing to buy a car or two in order to gain 'admission' to purchase a 'hard to get' car isn't funny business either. You see at Safeway all the time when they advertise buy 3 get 1 free. I get to buy 4 bottles of Coke for $6.00 at $1.50 a bottle, while you have to pay $3.33 for one bottle.

We lived in a capitalism society, the 'can' will always have the advantage. Or the smart ones.
Yes I suppose it isn't funny business, at the time I was not pleased. As I was trying to get an allocation. I was strung along for 2.5 years at a dealer where I bought a 911, they kept telling me I was going to get one, but never did. So it was frustrating to encounter all kinds of approaches to getting an allocation, with most dealers not being straightforward. I did get one elsewhere. Another GTA dealer told me they wouldn't be able to give me an allocation yet retained my demand request in their system (per PCNA), guess to add to their request numbers in an attempt to get more allocation. While not funny business in the sense you describe, it all leads to a poor customer experience, with the Porsche brand on the front. Many people don't understand how the system works and that impacts the brand, rather than the dealer. But for Porsche, not sure how much they care, their direct customer is the dealer and they are doing exceedingly well.

I see his Insta posts from the showroom.

Yes it can, but we know the deal, under market trade values to get the new car. Back side ADM. This being said, that's dealer dependent. I got MSRP on 1 trade and 1 below market value. Guess they wanted to move that FF to agree to a buy back price ahead of time (of course depends on the price they agreed vs market) but sounds like they still lost money.

On the 2 for type deals...you can buy a single unit at the deal price, no need to buy 2. But that's a system programming thing than anything else.
Old 02-13-2022 | 08:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Some funny business they did that came to light a while after.

People may think it's pointless to complaint higher up for stuff. But dealers and the distributors are completely different entities. Distributors are an extension of Porsche, but dealers aren't. Mostly.
Not pointless at all, but don't always expect the response you want. I emailed Porsche Customer Experience VP (US based role held by German from PAG). Got an interesting response from him, short but I see the rationale.

Do you know what happened a few years back at a certain GTA dealer - GM and Sales Mgr - terminated, heard PCL came in for that. I don't know the details but curious.

Last edited by SToronto; 02-13-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Porsche2014 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022 | 09:55 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mavzyx
The answer should be pretty obvious, but people are trying to figure out how many GT4RSs Porsche is going to build because that will give them a good indication of their odds of being able to buy one. Knowing intended production numbers also would also help prospective buyers rationalize if it is worth it to pay an ADM to improve their chances of getting one and give them an idea how much of an ADM they will need to pay, since the amounts seem to vary wildly right now.

Clearly interest in the GT4RS is very strong. But at the moment, a lot of prospective buyers feel like their odds of actually getting one is very low. So they are looking for any data points or even rumors they can latch on to to help with their decision making.
The following 6 users liked this post by 0-Day:
FazedChicken (02-13-2022), KLCC 88 (02-13-2022), Mavzyx (02-17-2022), mkdiehl (03-27-2022), Porsche2014 (02-14-2022), Zhao (02-13-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2022 | 12:08 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

I am the one that leaked the 200 car number.

Narrowing it down for the dealers, 5 in GTA. North Toronto is owned by Porsche Canada, so no funny business there. Pfaff has the biggest volume in all of Canada, they get the most allocations. Can safely check them off also. That leaves Downtown, Oakville and Markham. Markham is owned by Pfaff also so allocations can be shared. Leaving only Downtown and Oakville as the suspects.
Yup... you've narrowed it down. Like I said, this is what I'm hearing through someone that knows the sales manager fairly well and hears things like this from them. I doubt he'd ever admit this directly to a customer.
Old 02-13-2022 | 01:11 PM
Zhao
Drifting

First round is done. PCNA and PCL are withholding second round allocations pending factory scheduling and also disciplinary actions against unscrupulous dealers.

I don't have exact numbers for PCNA. Only PCL. But based on historic data PCNA will get 10 times the amount of what PCL gets. So roughly 2000 cars for the 2 year production.
Well that's good, wonder if it'll make a difference though? I remember when the first GT4 deliveries started showing up and instantly there was tons of 100km GT4s sitting on autotrader at used 'high end' car lots on the east coast and it would be nice to never see that again.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Allocation Thread