Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 10:27 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 452 Posts

Maybe the Spyder RS would get a 7 speed PDK conversion manual like the regular 992 models.
The following users liked this post:
BrntRubber (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:57 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
In the German interview, AP said that part of the reason why the GT4RS doesn't have a manual option is that they don't have a transmission that would work.
37:44 (German only)
Under Settings, you can sub-title in the language of your choosing.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:58 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

In the German interview, AP said that part of the reason why the GT4RS doesn't have a manual option is that they don't have a transmission that would work. The one from GT4 is too weak and the gearing is too long for a 9k engine and the one from GT3 doesn't fit (although we've heard that argument before ...).

That would mean no manual Spyder RS as they aren't going to develop a new one.

37:44 (German only)
https://youtu.be/gqcWMg3qggE?t=2264
He told us before that GT3 engine doesn't (didn't) fit, now fitted. You never know...
The following 2 users liked this post by tthellott T:
Pokerhobo (11-17-2021), sin911 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

My SA said that this will be a regular production run car, not limited. For those that want one, they should be able to snag it with some effort (and cash).
Old 11-17-2021, 02:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
My SA said that this will be a regular production run car, not limited. For those that want one, they should be able to snag it with some effort (and cash).
That is direct contrast to what I know as this car being a 911R type end of run Uber-special car, but would be fantastic... I hope you're correct.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:38 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That is direct contrast to what I know as this car being a 911R type end of run Uber-special car, but would be fantastic... I hope you're correct.
Yeah, they are only making it for a year, right? Feels like it will still pretty limited in numbers, special edition or not.

Bummer MT is DOA. I know there is no good option, but was hoping AP would do some of that engineering **** and pull a rabbit out of his hat. The gt3 motor wasn't supposed to fit, either. Things are overly difficult only until someone decides they aren't.

We have a year and AP (and others) appear to check in on the public mode. MT outcry campaign, anyone? lol
theEnd (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 03:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,675 Likes on 2,720 Posts

In the German interview, AP said that part of the reason why the GT4RS doesn't have a manual option is that they don't have a transmission that would work. The one from GT4 is too weak and the gearing is too long for a 9k engine and the one from GT3 doesn't fit (although we've heard that argument before ...).

That would mean no manual Spyder RS as they aren't going to develop a new one.
Originally Posted by Adrift
Yeah, they are only making it for a year, right? Feels like it will still pretty limited in numbers, special edition or not.

Bummer MT is DOA. I know there is no good option, but was hoping AP would do some of that engineering **** and pull a rabbit out of his hat. The gt3 motor wasn't supposed to fit, either. Things are overly difficult only until someone decides they aren't.

We have a year and AP (and others) appear to check in on the public mode. MT outcry campaign, anyone? lol
OK, lets look at it this way they alluded to the fact that the GT3 engines was too much work to put in the 718 chassis, but here it is, they say that the current MT is too weak yet Deman and others put a 500HP beast together slip it into the 718 with a MT and make it work... The stronger gears and main shaft are already out there and that includes shorter ratios...

Send AP an Instagram, no wait he reads the forums:

Hey Andy we want the option of a short gear ratio MT for the Spyder and we know that you do too!
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Adrift (11-17-2021), sin911 (11-17-2021), theEnd (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I'm not giving up on MT. I will keep plugging until the announcement. It may be in vain, but you have to stand for something!

You can't tell me the best part of that Evo 992 GT3 video with James(?) wasn't him double downshifting using heelntoe (and that was in an already epically edited and shot video full of amazing sounds and visuals). That **** fired me up; I don't know about you.

Last edited by Adrift; 11-17-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:26 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Don’t give up on the MT in the Spyder RS just yet.

When 718 came out with turbo flat4, they said flat 6 would not fit. And we got a 4.0 flat 6.

Then they said GT3 engine won’t fit in 718 and here we are, fit perfectly in the GT4 RS.

Now they said no manual transmission will work with GT3 engine in 718 RS, I don’t believe it. Don’t tell me that Porsche, the best engineering company in the world, can’t come up with a solution for that.

The following 3 users liked this post by LnC993:
Adrift (11-17-2021), Wah303 (12-31-2021), zshecht7792 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:53 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Not me, my SA, lol.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:16 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Don’t give up on the MT in the Spyder RS just yet.

When 718 came out with turbo flat4, they said flat 6 would not fit. And we got a 4.0 flat 6.

Then they said GT3 engine won’t fit in 718 and here we are, fit perfectly in the GT4 RS.

Now they said no manual transmission will work with GT3 engine in 718 RS, I don’t believe it. Don’t tell me that Porsche, the best engineering company in the world, can’t come up with a solution for that.
Originally Posted by Westcoast
OK, lets look at it this way they alluded to the fact that the GT3 engines was too much work to put in the 718 chassis, but here it is, they say that the current MT is too weak yet Deman and others put a 500HP beast together slip it into the 718 with a MT and make it work... The stronger gears and main shaft are already out there and that includes shorter ratios...

Hey Andy we want the option of a short gear ratio MT for the Spyder and we know that you do too!
Originally Posted by Adrift

Originally Posted by tthellott T
He told us before that GT3 engine doesn't (didn't) fit, now fitted. You never know...
Guys, keep in mind that when asked, the 991.2 GT3 was the current model. AP didn't put the 991.2 GT3 motor in the GT4 RS. He put the 992 GT3 motor in.

"Ask Andreas Preuninger and he'll gladly tell you it was just an engineering problem that kept the GT3 boxer away from Caymans past. The 991-gen GT3 engine had a cast-aluminum dry sump oil tank that would not fit in a Cayman without major reengineering. But the new 992 -gen GT3 engine was designed with a composite dry-sump tank specifically designed to fit the Cayman."

So it seems that AP wasn't lying as the 992 engine is "different" and that he was referring to the 991.2 GT3 engine when it said the engine wouldn't fit. There you have it.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Guys, keep in mind that when asked, the 991.2 GT3 was the current model. AP didn't put the 991.2 GT3 motor in the GT4 RS. He put the 992 GT3 motor in.

"Ask Andreas Preuninger and he'll gladly tell you it was just an engineering problem that kept the GT3 boxer away from Caymans past. The 991-gen GT3 engine had a cast-aluminum dry sump oil tank that would not fit in a Cayman without major reengineering. But the new 992 -gen GT3 engine was designed with a composite dry-sump tank specifically designed to fit the Cayman."

So it seems that AP wasn't lying as the 992 engine is "different" and that he was referring to the 991.2 GT3 engine when it said the engine wouldn't fit. There you have it.
Ahhh OK, so one problem solved and they can move on to the next one now!

MT, MT, MT...
Adrift (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 09:33 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

'Robust" is not the word used to describe one of the main shaft options on offer...be careful with selection/expectations if pursuing shorter gear ration options.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Ahhh OK, so one problem solved and they can move on to the next one now!

MT, MT, MT...
The GT4 RS was never going to have a 6MT because it's about setting lap times and AP said himself if you want to set the fastest lap time, you need the PDK. If the Spyder RS (lite) ever happens, I could see it having a 6MT. Here's why:

1. The Spyder RS will not be about setting laps times because it won't have the same swan neck rear wing and therefore anywhere near the same downforce needed to set the same blistering lap times as the GT4 RS.
2. The GT4 RS changed the rear quarter windows to become the air intakes for the engine and the side scoops were changed to feed cooling air to the engine compartment. If they put the 992 GT3 engine the Spyder, it obviously won't have the air intakes like the GT4 RS. My guess is if they put the 992 GT3 engine, the side scoops would still be used for air intake as well as engine compartment cooling. This could reduce the hp rating from 493 in the GT4 RS.
3. Since the Spyder (based on my assumptions above) won't be about setting the fastest lap times, it may be more directed towards setting an extremely elevated driving experience from the "regular" Spyder and therefore the 6MT may add to that experience and if the hp isn't too high, maybe the 6MT can handle the power and torque.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
'Robust" is not the word used to describe one of the main shaft options on offer...be careful with selection/expectations if pursuing shorter gear ration options.
By inference it would seem there is an after market solution not quite up to the task?

And this would be why we want Porsche to engineer the solution...

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread