Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 10:40 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Thanks, but do you know a way I can convert that sentiment into an allocation? lol My Porsche purchasing profile is too spread out (temporally and geographically) to do me much good. Oh well.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Thanks, but do you know a way I can convert that sentiment into an allocation? lol My Porsche purchasing profile is too spread out (temporally and geographically) to do me much good. Oh well.
Fingers crossed that there will be plenty of allocations relative to the demand. I think the demand which will be much lower than the 4RS, which is itself somewhat of a niche car. And Porsche has no strong reason to limit production of the SRS because it won't really be cutting into sales of its successor, the electric Boxster/Cayman.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Fingers crossed that there will be plenty of allocations relative to the demand. I think the demand which will be much lower than the 4RS, which is itself somewhat of a niche car. And Porsche has no strong reason to limit production of the SRS because it won't really be cutting into sales of its successor, the electric Boxster/Cayman.
Frankly, I can't pinpoint the target clientele for the SRS. For a diehard Boxster fanatic like myself, if I was to pick ONE naturally aspirated ICE, flat-6 Boxster to hold me over the next 20 years, I'm not convinced it would be the SRS. The GT3 engine may be exciting for a few years but I feel that the PDK, the PITA top, and no heated buckets would get old fast, and I'd still end up wanting a manual and an auto-top in the end for the long haul. I could be wrong, of course. The main question remains: What is essential for a perfect backroads experience? The good old Boxster remains very hard to beat.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
993RR (10-25-2023), Manifold (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:21 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

> The good old Boxster remains very hard to beat.

Especially with a manual.

The engine is a draw, but the SOUND those cowbells are making is otherworldly. That's the siren song for me. Is it drawing me towards the rocks? lol

Last edited by Adrift; 10-25-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:57 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,675 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Wow, the last 15 or so posts have been interesting to say the least, those that want the car, those that don't know if they can get one, those that seem not to care, or most certainly lean to the 911 side of the house!

The easy summary is that the car is built, no heated seats or steering wheel, no manual transmission and a roof that might leave some out in the rain... but with a lightning fast PDK coupled to a GT3 engine, any which way you look at it, it is what it is.

All that is left to do now is see if your number gets pulled and you get to put an order in.

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-25-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Let the games begin
Old 10-25-2023, 12:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Frankly, I can't pinpoint the target clientele for the SRS. For a diehard Boxster fanatic like myself, if I was to pick ONE naturally aspirated ICE, flat-6 Boxster to hold me over the next 20 years, I'm not convinced it would be the SRS. The GT3 engine may be exciting for a few years but I feel that the PDK, the PITA top, and no heated buckets would get old fast, and I'd still end up wanting a manual and an auto-top in the end for the long haul. I could be wrong, of course. The main question remains: What is essential for a perfect backroads experience? The good old Boxster remains very hard to beat.
Perfect buyer for the SRS:

- Wants a road car, not track car
- Wants mid-engine Boxster/Cayman handling
- Likes the way it looks, and the amount of attention the car will get or lack thereof (depending on the build)
- Will generally leave the top off, and weather and parking conditions make that possible
- Likes the screaming sound at higher revs, and will drive in conditions that make it possible to spend a lot of time at higher revs without going to jail, crashing, or drawing unwanted attention
- Doesn't mind the engine not being punchy at low and mid revs
- Prefers PDK, or no strong preference between PDK vs manual
- Can get the car at MSRP or small ADM, or doesn't care what it costs

I score 5 out of 8 on these criteria.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Wow, the last 15 or so posts have been interesting to say the least, those that want the car, those that don't know if they can get one, those that seem not to care, or most certainly lean to the 911 side of the house!

The easy summary is that the car is built, no heated seats or steering wheel, no manual transmission and a roof that might leave some out in the rain... but with a lightning fast PDK coupled to a GT3 engine, any which way you look at it, it is what it is.

All that is left to do now is see if your number gets pulled and you get to put an order in.
See it as an ADM Restraint exercise. You’re welcome.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 01:07 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 939 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The good old Boxster remains very hard to beat.
I don't know about that. After buying my Spyder I kept my 981S for several months so did plenty of back to back drives. They're really not in the same league.
The following 3 users liked this post by clutchplate:
hk43 (10-25-2023), lilbza (10-25-2023), n4v4nod (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 01:14 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 55 Posts

- Likes the way it looks, and the amount of attention the car will get or lack thereof (depending on the build)
- Will generally leave the top off, and weather and parking conditions make that possible
- Likes the screaming sound at higher revs, and will drive in conditions that make it possible to spend a lot of time at higher revs without going to jail, crashing, or drawing unwanted attention

Also important criteria for me:
- the only RS convertible
- own the last and most extreme swansong of the petrol Boxster before the platform goes EV

Old 10-25-2023, 01:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,675 Likes on 2,720 Posts

I don't fit well with a score of 3 then... too bad as I was just warming up the SRS.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:00 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by hk43
Also important criteria for me:
- the only RS convertible
- own the last and most extreme swansong of the petrol Boxster before the platform goes EV
Your last point speaks to me, because we looked at getting my wife a Boxster shortly after they first came out and that didn't happen. We occasionally revisited the topic, but it wasn't until earlier this year we finally bought a manual 718 Spyder. That is definitely a keeper. However, if we get access to an allocation at an acceptable financial arrangement, it would be the true culmination to a roughly 25 year personal journey.

Dave
Old 10-25-2023, 03:06 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfun33
Your last point speaks to me, because we looked at getting my wife a Boxster shortly after they first came out and that didn't happen. We occasionally revisited the topic, but it wasn't until earlier this year we finally bought a manual 718 Spyder. That is definitely a keeper. However, if we get access to an allocation at an acceptable financial arrangement, it would be the true culmination to a roughly 25 year personal journey.

Dave
Congrats on the Spyder! This was my experience as well. I specced my 718 Spyder as a keeper (PTS, MT, PCCB, PPF, etc) and thought I would drive it for all time..... but then got blessed with a PTS SRS allocation so had to pull the trigger.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 03:35 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Ha! I wonder how many spyders will appear on the market the week after the NA allocations drop. lol
Old 10-25-2023, 03:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It does tend to be the case that the last in series cars tend to be special - Cayman R and the Spyder variant, 997.2 3RS, 991.2 3RS are examples.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread