Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
And just who is a big-name that you are longing for? And would their opinion really change the facts?
#1 for me is Chris Harris. The guy knows how to drive, how to evaluate a car, and how to express his evaluation.

Bovingdon is also very good all around.

Sutcliffe is another excellent driver, but his reviews tend to be biased on the positive side.

Catchpole isn't on the same level as those guys as a driver, but is a mature and thoughtful and honest reviewer.

I think the Carwow guy is also pretty good, but more on the funny side and less attentive to subtleties.

Metcalfe of course is also good, but tends to review only on his local roads and doesn't generally do track reviews.

Who did I miss?
Old 10-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

It's a 4rs with no roof, just like the regular spyder is a gt4 with no roof. But a little smoother. It'll give up a LITTLE bit on the track.

I personally don't think there is a lot of mystery here (since there are 4rs reviews aplenty).
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,091 Posts

I only needed one article...

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...how-26459.html

And not even the whole press release; this was sufficient:

"The naturally aspirated flat-six engine familiar from the 911 GT3 Cup racing car and the 911 GT3 series production model, forms the centrepiece of a sports car that has been designed for maximum driving pleasure."

Literally, sign me up!

I suppose an influencer, I mean reviewer, may find some arcane nuance or a pea under the LWBS still. Some are fun to watch though!
Adrift (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
#1 for me is Chris Harris. The guy knows how to drive, how to evaluate a car, and how to express his evaluation.

Bovingdon is also very good all around.

Sutcliffe is another excellent driver, but his reviews tend to be biased on the positive side.

Catchpole isn't on the same level as those guys as a driver, but is a mature and thoughtful and honest reviewer.

I think the Carwow guy is also pretty good, but more on the funny side and less attentive to subtleties.

Metcalfe of course is also good, but tends to review only on his local roads and doesn't generally do track reviews.

Who did I miss?
That's about my list as well, though wouldn't put Carwow in the same group. Really interesting (concerning?) that none of them has had an SRS review. What could be the explanation?
Old 10-24-2023, 12:41 PM
Koizami
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

So far, in my opinion, the best review is from TheSmokingTire.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Although I agree with him, Farrah is a little too much of a vocal spyder homer for me to think of as objective. Plus his evaluation that he would rather keep his manual spyder I can't help feel means he would rather keep his engine-swapped manual spyder. He isn't coming at it from the same place as us regular spyder owners, I don't think. His perceptions are influenced by his muscle car, IMO.
RADONCulous (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:10 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Although I agree with him, Farrah is a little too much of a vocal spyder homer for me to think of as objective. Plus his evaluation that he would rather keep his manual spyder I can't help feel means he would rather keep his engine-swapped manual spyder. He isn't coming at it from the same place as us regular spyder owners, I don't think. His perceptions are influenced by his muscle car, IMO.
Porsche only invited a few journalists to the review, he was one for obvious reasons. I think he came across pretty fair given the context, and also have a watch of his original spyder review (before he got his). Other than spending half the time on the gearing, I think he was a big fan of the car.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,674 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Koizami
So far, in my opinion, the best review is from TheSmokingTire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Dj...TheSmokingTire
I too agree that Matt did the best job of the SRS review, he talks about everything and even frames his review with the caveat that he has driven them all and already picked his favorite. Add to this it starts with a description of one of the finest cars Porsche builds and it isn't the 911!

He knows the car, the chassis and the engines from the stock 9A2, a bored out Deman special and finally the GT3 engine, he is exactly the guy I would pick to talk about the SRS to me, and the fact he still loves Strawberry Shortcake tells me he is being honest, not trying to sell me on the SRS.

I have watched his review at least a dozen times now, he talks about how the car feels, how it makes him feel, where is comes up short (for him) and where it impresses him, I get a sense of honesty and spontaneity in his review that tends to make me believe what he is telling us.
UncleDude (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 02:16 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 223 Posts

Maybe it is standard?
Does not appear to be
Old 10-24-2023, 03:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I only needed one article...

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...how-26459.html

And not even the whole press release; this was sufficient:

"The naturally aspirated flat-six engine familiar from the 911 GT3 Cup racing car and the 911 GT3 series production model, forms the centrepiece of a sports car that has been designed for maximum driving pleasure."

Literally, sign me up!

I suppose an influencer, I mean reviewer, may find some arcane nuance or a pea under the LWBS still. Some are fun to watch though!
I have a couple cars with that engine, and I don't really know what the excitement is. The engine is pretty linear, which means that it doesn't have a lot of low to mid rev torque, but linearity is good for the track. It has enough power at higher revs, but it's hard to spend a lot of time at higher revs on the road. It sounds good at higher revs, but a lot of that is exhaust tuning and other acoustic things, hence the 4RS sounding quite different from the GT3 - what you hear isn't just the engine whirring.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
abarthguy (10-24-2023), alcc (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 04:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have a couple cars with that engine, and I don't really know what the excitement is. The engine is pretty linear, which means that it doesn't have a lot of low to mid rev torque, but linearity is good for the track. It has enough power at higher revs, but it's hard to spend a lot of time at higher revs on the road. It sounds good at higher revs, but a lot of that is exhaust tuning and other acoustic things, hence the 4RS sounding quite different from the GT3 - what you hear isn't just the engine whirring.
So maybe for you the excitement has worn off?

As for power delivery, linear is a good thing on the street as well, it has more torque then the 9A2 engine even at lower RPM, so to me it is a winner in the 718 chassis.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Manifold, apparently these cars have your attention pretty monopolized, given your new forum residency status.
lilbza (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 898 Posts

500hp. Natural aspirated. 9k RPM. That's a great combination that begs to be taken up 9k every shift.

That begin said, we just cracked 80 degrees in Wisconsin in late October. I grabbed the Targa with 500+ hp and a manual.

Hard to best an open top car in this weather. The Targa, with a boatload of low end torque, is a better daily driver ripper. But the GT4rs is more exciting. Spyder will be dope!
geistspyder (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 06:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
Does not appear to be
I have to give your answer a thumbs down, not for the answer but or the reason it should have a heated steering wheel!
Old 10-24-2023, 07:46 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

I have to give your answer a thumbs down, not for the answer but or the reason it should have a heated steering wheel!
Weighs too much

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread