Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
But which are waiting for, the last ICE or the first EV 718...

The Mission R with it's power and styling could actually convince me to go EV!
I will admit that I completely dismissed this rumor in its early days as complete rubbish but there seems to be a little bit more and more truth or at least potential truth that have dripped out. A quick telltale sign is if someone catches a proto running around the 'Ring but until then, we'll reach for what we can grab with these rumors.

As I previously said from a business case, it makes easy sense because we already know that PAG will release the GT4 RS and therefore they've committed R&D dollars to the GT4 RS. One of the quickest ways to make money is to reduce cost and the best way for PAG to reduce cost on the development on the GT4 RS is to spread the cost around. What easier way to do that than to mount some of the easily transferable bits and pieces on the GT4 RS to the Spyder RS/LE/SE such as front NACA brake ducts, center lock wheels, forged/mag wheels, whatever they're doing to the front fenders, etc.

I know a lot of people say that it doesn't make sense to make an RS version of the Spyder but let's not forget that the 1957-62 718 RS Spyder was a race car and so there is precedent for PAG to make a (you guessed it) MY23 718 RS Spyder.

I'll go on record here saying that if PAG does it, they'll call it the 718 RS Spyder and not the 718 Spyder RS as we've all been throwing around. To take it one step further, PAG had a 718 RS60 Spyder which I believe the 60 was to coincide with the year of 1960 due to updated racing regulations and therefore an updated car. Maybe PAG will call it 718 RS23 Spyder.

I know this is a lot of speculation but then there were tons of critics when there were rumors of PAG making the 982 Spyder basically a convertible version of the GT4. People were saying that it didn't make sense to give the 982 Spyder GT3 underpinnings because it's not a true track car. Why waste the development on an open top car? There wasn't any precedence from previous generations of modern Spyders being anything more than a higher level Boxster GTS. Same with the 991.2 Speedster but here we are with both of them in existence. Some will use on the track and some will not. Options are the best for everyone but more importantly, it give PAG another opportunity to make money and if that means giving us a 718 RS Spyder, 718 RS23 Spyder, 718 Spyder RS, 718 Spyder SE, or 718 Spyder LE, I'm all for it.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 09-07-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I will admit that I completely dismissed this rumor in its early days as complete rubbish but there seems to be a little bit more and more truth or at least potential truth that have dripped out. A quick telltale sign is if someone catches a proto running around the 'Ring but until then, we'll reach for what we can grab with these rumors.

As I previously said from a business case, it makes easy sense because we already know that PAG will release the GT4 RS and therefore they've committed R&D dollars to the GT4 RS. One of the quickest ways to make money is to reduce cost and the best way for PAG to reduce cost on the development on the GT4 RS is to spread the cost around. What easier way to do that than to mount some of the easily transferable bits and pieces on the GT4 RS to the Spyder RS/LE/SE such as front NACA brake ducts, center lock wheels, forged/mag wheels, whatever they're doing to the front fenders, etc.

I know a lot of people say that it doesn't make sense to make an RS version of the Spyder but let's not forget that the 1957-62 718 RS Spyder was a race car and so there is precedent for PAG to make a (you guessed it) MY23 718 RS Spyder.

I'll go on record here saying that if PAG does it, they'll call it the 718 RS Spyder and not the 718 Spyder RS as we've all been throwing around. To take it one step further, PAG had a 718 RS60 Spyder which I believe the 60 was to coincide with the year of 1960 due to updated racing regulations and therefore an updated car. Maybe PAG will call it 718 RS23 Spyder.

I know this is a lot of speculation but then there were tons of critics when there were rumors of PAG making the 982 Spyder basically a convertible version of the GT4. People were saying that it didn't make sense to give the 982 Spyder GT3 underpinnings because it's not a true track car. Why waste the development on an open top car? There wasn't any precedence from previous generations of modern Spyders being anything more than a higher level Boxster GTS. Same with the 991.2 Speedster but here we are with both of them in existence. Some will use on the track and some will not. Options are the best for everyone but more importantly, it give PAG another opportunity to make money and if that means giving us a 718 RS Spyder, 718 RS23 Spyder, 718 Spyder RS, 718 Spyder SE, or 718 Spyder LE, I'm all for it.
I always thought it was a possibility...

Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Makes complete sense to reuse the easily translatable gt4 rs bits, is consistent with creation of a gt-class spyder in the first place, but they’ll call is SE (or similar), not RS. They won’t make the direct association with racing / track. What was okay to race 70 years ago no longer is.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:53 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
… therefore they've committed R&D dollars to the GT4 RS. One of the quickest ways to make money is to reduce cost and the best way for PAG to reduce cost on the development on the GT4 RS is to spread the cost around. What easier way to do that than to...
… make twice as many GT4 RSs.

There. FiFy.

I hope PAG does release a Boxster 718 RS Spyder 60 GT4 Anniversary VIP Heritage Edition. But, if they do, volume amortization of CapEx isn’t the top of the priority list.
The following users liked this post:
ngamountains (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

>> I hope PAG does release a Boxster 718 RS Spyder 60 GT4 Anniversary VIP Heritage Edition

Good god! Can you imagine how long it would take to check into a hotel, driving that car?!?!!?
Old 09-07-2021, 09:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
>> I hope PAG does release a Boxster 718 RS Spyder 60 GT4 Anniversary VIP Heritage Edition

Good god! Can you imagine how long it would take to check into a hotel, driving that car?!?!!?
…and the extra wide bumper to fit all those letters!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
…and the extra wide bumper to fit all those letters!
Not to mention the price of the template for lining up all the letters. Heck, it would have to be crated and shipped LTL...
Old 09-07-2021, 09:45 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 544 Posts

On the whole naming thing.....all the rules went out the window when Porsche attached the GT nomenclature to a Cayenne !!
The following 3 users liked this post by VVG:
halfmonkey (09-08-2021), Jeff Jones (09-07-2021), nova996 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:54 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
On the whole naming thing.....all the rules went out the window when Porsche attached the GT nomenclature to a Cayenne !!
Or called an all electric car a Turbo
The following 5 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
abarthguy (09-09-2021), halfmonkey (09-08-2021), JPMD (09-08-2021), nova996 (09-09-2021), UncleDude (09-08-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:30 AM
GooDy151
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

The latest information I talked to the director was,
Spyder RS will be like Speedster.
Meaning it will be the last production to end 718.

They might start deliver after New model already came out like Speedster sale when 992 already out.

Could be really special. To farewell the ICE of mid-engine.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:01 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by GooDy151

They might start deliver after New model already came out like Speedster sale when 992 already out.

Oh boy.....
Old 09-09-2021, 03:21 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, 12 posts in 11 years... you really know how to stir things up!

I was really happy with my Spyder up until 30 days ago when you started this thread!
Old 09-09-2021, 04:24 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Wow, 12 posts in 11 years... you really know how to stir things up!

I was really happy with my Spyder up until 30 days ago when you started this thread!
In fairness, the RS on the 911 side always coincided with the end of that production model. It's my understanding that is how it was with the 991.1 and .2

Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

This could just be hype, but it makes sense, IMO. Time will tell. Like everyone else, I’m dying to know the spec (of a car I will never get near, except maybe at a car show).

Good thing the regular spyder / gt4 are already so amazing.

My big ? Is whether they will put another MT in it,, or only pdk. Since it isn’t purely a track monster (just like speedster), a MT makes sense, but is there one in the parts bin? I assume the gt3 MT won’t fit…? And they won’t develop a new one, I assume.

For those MT nuts out there…would you give up your current MT car with 414HP for one with…say 475, but with a PDK only? Is there a HP number breakpoint where you would accept pdk?
Old 09-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This could just be hype, but it makes sense, IMO. Time will tell. Like everyone else, I’m dying to know the spec (of a car I will never get near, except maybe at a car show).

Good thing the regular spyder / gt4 are already so amazing.

My big ? Is whether they will put another MT in it,, or only pdk. Since it isn’t purely a track monster (just like speedster), a MT makes sense, but is there one in the parts bin? I assume the gt3 MT won’t fit…? And they won’t develop a new one, I assume.

For those MT nuts out there…would you give up your current MT car with 414HP for one with…say 475, but with a PDK only? Is there a HP number breakpoint where you would accept pdk?
LOL

Interesting question because of the possibility that it does only come in PDK then what about us MT nuts...hmmmm

For me to jump (big assumption here), the entire package would have to be worthy of the pain to do so, not just the HP, the current Spyder can be pumped up to 475HP with exhaust so that alone would not be enough, perhaps 500HP would be my tipping point as it is significantly higher than the current Spyder, and noteworthy.

Still it would be more acceptable if it had the proper styling cues, aero and other performance goodies to make it worth of being the last ICE mid-engine convertible, in short it would have to be easily recognizable as the top dog Spyder.

Nice thing about all of the dreaming, other than a few minutes (well maybe more than a few) at the keyboard this hasn't cost me a single dollar... yet!

OR, if the 'other' rumors are true and the Mission R is actually a prototype for the electric replacement of the current 718/982 platform simply sit back and wait for that?

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-09-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added foot note...

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread