Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 02:33 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder718
No way. I can confirm there is no Spyder RS coming. Has about the same authority as any dealer.
The weight some people give to things said by SAs or dealers on this site is unbelievable. In my experience, many SAs and dealers actually know considerably less than what gets reported here. For many of them, it's a job, not a hobby, and they're not prowling the internet for the latest spy shots after they get home from work.

Last edited by nobbyv; 09-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnauto (09-11-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,674 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
The weight some people give to things said by SAs or dealers on this site is unbelievable. In my experience, manny SAs and dealers actually know considerably less than what gets reported here. For many of them, it's a job, not a hobby, and they're not prowling the internet for the latest spy shots after they get home from work.
Locally our dealership team is not like most, they are on the net and do listen, all of them are keen, not just for the sale but for the love of the car, Porsche.
P-car-Vancouver (09-11-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:45 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

The weight some people give to things said by SAs or dealers on this site is unbelievable. In my experience, manny SAs and dealers actually know considerably less than what gets reported here. For many of them, it's a job, not a hobby, and they're not prowling the internet for the latest spy shots after they get home from work.
I think most people on this forum know that SA's/GM's/etc know next to nothing about the next car being released and don't give them much weight when they comment on such matters. I too completely dismissed this rumor when it first came out.....but now......

Seeing a screen shot that shows "something labeled as Spyder RS SOS in 2023" along with comments from PAG saying that the 982 in its current iteration will run until MY23 gives a little credence to this rumor at least from a timeline perspective. I think others that were completely dismissing the rumor in the beginning may now be at least listening and seeing how this develops. As someone commented, the Spyder RS may be the send off model such as how the 991.2 Speedster was the send off. The Spyder RS may actually be delivered after regular production has ended for the 982 gen with the next gen already being introduced and on sale such as how the 991.2 ended and the 992 sale started.

It's fun to discuss and debate rumors but if this rumor turns out to be true, how awesome would it be for PAG to build a Spyder RS as the send off model. There certainly can be a business case for such a model because it helps spread the cost of developing the GT4 RS and bolting some of the bits and pieces that are easily transferable onto the Spyder. Obviously a 3/4 window intake isn't possible nor is a swan neck wing possible on the Spyder but front brake NACA ducts, front fender vents, center lock wheels, forged/magnesium wheels, titanium exhausts would all be easily transferable to the Spyder.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 09-09-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,674 Likes on 2,720 Posts

This is all so distracting... I need to get to some real work!

But I will check back in a few hours...
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
catdog2 (10-17-2021), halfmonkey (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,969 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
My big ? Is whether they will put another MT in it,, or only pdk. Since it isn’t purely a track monster (just like speedster), a MT makes sense, but is there one in the parts bin? I assume the gt3 MT won’t fit…? And they won’t develop a new one, I assume.
No, there is no parts bin manual gearbox available. There are significant differences between the mid-engined gearboxes and the rear-engined gearboxes. One of the more obvious is that you'd have one forward gear and 6 different reverse ratios. So, the GT3 gearbox is not an option.

The last mid-engined manual gearbox that would handle the necessary torque would be from the Carrera GT nearly 20 years ago.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:08 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
It's fun to discuss and debate rumors but if this rumor turns out to be true, how awesome would it be for PAG to build a Spyder RS as the send off model.
Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing, and I admit there are some signs it may actually be happening. But some random dealer supposedly telling one Rennlist member ain't one of them...

There certainly can be a business case for such a model because it helps spread the cost of developing the GT4 RS and bolting some of the bits and pieces that are easily transferable onto the Spyder.
I see this point get mentioned from time to time, and personally I am skeptical that Porsche cares much about the cost of these cars. Porsche sells 20k+ Macans a year in North America (well, when COVID supply chain issues aren't a thing). The total number of all GT cars sold annually is what, maybe 1000? The GT cars are the halo cars. I don't think they are, or are intended to be, significant profit makers (even with $4k deviated sticthing packages and $20k PTS options).
Old 09-09-2021, 03:20 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing, and I admit there are some signs it may actually be happening. But some random dealer supposedly telling one Rennlist member ain't one of them...

I see this point get mentioned from time to time, and personally I am skeptical that Porsche cares much about the cost of these cars. Porsche sells 20k+ Macans a year in North America (well, when COVID supply chain issues aren't a thing). The total number of all GT cars sold annually is what, maybe 1000? The GT cars are the halo cars. I don't think they are, or are intended to be, significant profit makers (even with $4k deviated sticthing packages and $20k PTS options).
True on your first point but when an internal screen shot along with PAG saying 982 platform will carry on until 2023, there may be some truth to this rumor. Again, I'm not saying I'm not a 100% believer. I'm just saying that where I completely dismissed this rumor when it was originally brought up now has me listening with interest.

On your second point, I think anybody with some good business sense understands and knows that these GT cars are not there to keep the lights on. As a matter of fact, their regular sports cars such as 911, Cayman, or Boxster aren't even there to keep the lights on. It's a well known fact that Porsche introduced the Cayenne because PAG understood that if they were to keep the company afloat, they had to introduce a more mainstream selling vehicle rather than continue to sell a very niche vehicle like a rear engine sports car. The "boring" cars such as the Cayenne, Macan, Taycan, and Panamera are what keep the lights on. They bring the soccer families into the showroom and into the brand. The GT models don't necessary carry the business forward but any company with good business sense isn't going to sell a car just because nor are they going to develop a car and then sell each one at a loss. The board will not allow it. It always has to make good business sense. You, I and the next guy on Rennllist hold these GT cars on a pedestal but the board of directors are only concerned with making sure the numbers come back favorable so the share holders don't vote them out.
nobbyv (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 567 Likes on 313 Posts

For those MT nuts out there…would you give up your current MT car with 414HP for one with…say 475, but with a PDK only? Is there a HP number breakpoint where you would accept pdk?
If the Spyder RS is really the end of ICE and only available as PDK. I'd strongly consider getting one along with my MT GT4.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 781 Likes on 363 Posts

This could just be hype, but it makes sense, IMO. Time will tell. Like everyone else, I’m dying to know the spec (of a car I will never get near, except maybe at a car show).

Good thing the regular spyder / gt4 are already so amazing.

My big ? Is whether they will put another MT in it,, or only pdk. Since it isn’t purely a track monster (just like speedster), a MT makes sense, but is there one in the parts bin? I assume the gt3 MT won’t fit…? And they won’t develop a new one, I assume.

For those MT nuts out there…would you give up your current MT car with 414HP for one with…say 475, but with a PDK only? Is there a HP number breakpoint where you would accept pdk?
No, but I'd keep both.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:12 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 316 Posts

....It's a well known fact that Porsche introduced the Cayenne because PAG understood that if they were to keep the company afloat, they had to introduce a more mainstream selling vehicle rather than continue to sell a very niche vehicle like a rear engine sports car. The "boring" cars such as the Cayenne, Macan, Taycan, and Panamera are what keep the lights on. ....
Many years back when was working on the Cayenne, there was an auto industry writer who penned an internet article titled, "Cayenne, the answer to the question that no one is asking".
That didn't weather well, but at least it took a couple of years to collapse.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Evening All,

Concerning some comments about SA not knowing anything. I work for an OEM, HQ and not a retailer, and in the industry for the better part of 25 years. I can say hand on heart that the SA is often the last one to find out any info on new product until closer to launch. Dealer Principles, Sales Managers and the like do at times get briefed of major changes coming but even then it's not info that spans years into the future. Embargo lifts are kept so tight that info is only released to the wider network at the retailer level at the very last min. I can also say hand on heart that most SA are frustrated in the whole situation especially when working for brands that have owners who are as invested as we are.

For truly limited numbered LE, think Carrera GT, these are often handled through the DP or the like who approach customers well in advance.

Lastly, it is at times the OEM itself that is at fault since they need and want their sales force to concentrate on selling what is going down the factory line or what is 100% certain is around the corner vs. time on something that is so far out. Plus, let's face it, they are in sales and their time is taken up getting on with the job of selling but also all that aftercare, sending us V status etc. which leaves little time to try and predict what is coming...

Hope you don't mind the views of someone who works on the other side of the fence,
josephr25 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 01:27 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

This got posted in the GT4RS thread, but if you look lower, far right, there is reference to a Spyder RS in 2023. Source was not cited. Any idea what the SoS might mean?
Old 09-11-2021, 02:01 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

This got posted in the GT4RS thread, but if you look lower, far right, there is reference to a Spyder RS in 2023. Source was not cited. Any idea what the SoS might mean?
LMAO...
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17650778
Old 09-11-2021, 04:03 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

SoS - start of sales
PoS - Start of production

The screen shot is real.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris3963:
Adrift (09-11-2021), ekam (11-17-2021), gbridger (10-04-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:50 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
SoS - start of sales
PoS - Start of production

The screen shot is real.
@Chris3963 Any idea whether that pic is recent at all? Could it be old and very OBE?

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread