Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:34 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

guess why not? might as well milk the last ICE... like the 997 4.0 RS....

it's ridiculous why people want to pay so much for a track biased car when in reality so few track-based manufacturer jobs are seen on track. If i see them on track.. fine but they are so expensive to track ie consumables and so stiff and uncomfortable on roads that it boggles the mind.

Maybe its the likelihood that ICE cars are going the way of horses, expensive purpose based activity only. Then, enthusiasts should be ramping up on track tuition and learning how to drive a car to 100% since track fees should get more expensive with all those ICE cars banned from driving anywhere but race tracks. Anyway, if it gets more HP and weighs the same and has grippier R compounds with associated stiffer suspension, it'll be disappointing. If it goes the way of ferrari, aston and Mclaren with no windshield then i approve. I'd like it to go more hardcore than the gen 1 spyder...
Old 08-15-2021, 05:58 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Antipodean
Thank you GooDy151 for letting the cat out of the bag
OP should be banned. Holds no clout, post some rubbish and gone like the wind.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:01 AM
Vivicorsi
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
OP should be banned. Holds no clout, post some rubbish and gone like the wind.

oh god here we go again….yeah and why not sue him!

todays ban culture ….
The following 2 users liked this post by Vivicorsi:
josephr25 (08-15-2021), Underblu (01-13-2022)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Kind of ironic that this was the same response for a ragtop GT car prior to the debut of the Spyder and Speedster.
I was wondering if that was the case (not having been active back then). Not surprised at all, though.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:36 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Thank you GooDy151 for letting the cat out of the bag and Chris3963 for unofficially confirming the 718 Spyder RS.

I see many naysayers here, incredulous as to both the why and how.

For the why-ers, I have only this .
More likely those that are not able to grasp and appreciate the beauty of a Spyder RS, or possibly GT3 types that don't like the 718 RS variants getting so close in performance!

Now a discussion of the how:
1. Can the Spyder RS have the same engine as the GT4 RS? But how can it get the additional cold-air intake as seen on the GT4 RS prototypes?
The glaringly obvious solution is to turn the decorative streamliners into somthing functional. This could be integrated into the rollhoops. Look at every open wheel racecar since the Lotus 72 of 1970 to get an idea.
The humps and the area created by the flying buttress are where I think a cold air intake could be integrated, the Aventador does this very well, heck maybe the Spyder RS becomes more of a Targa?

2. How can enough downforce be generated to "earn" the RS moniker? The current Spyder aero is very modest; front splitter / underbody / diffuser could all be improved. The rear wing could increase in size and deployment height (think Carrera GT) without making it ugly.
The GT4 RS aero will be increased and where that works on the Spyder RS it will follow, the rear spoiler. it's size. lift and angle of attach can be a increased to balance out a larger front splitter.

3. Could the Spyder RS still have a manual transmission? Aren't 718 manual transmissions at the limit of torque they can handle? Yes they are. I suspect that, if the Spyder RS does get MT, it will be 911-style (ie really a PDK with the MECOSA gear selector, extra pedal and a single clutch). If 911 PDK cannot work with the 718 layout, this would be a no-go.
Not sure here, kind of a emotional point for me, I really want there to be a manual transmission, it connects to ne to the car in a way that the PDK does not, yes I am willing to give up the trackability of the PDK for this feel, track is secondary for me when it comes to the Spyder.

4. But what about torsional rigidity? Streetability? etc etc. Should be fine if suspension mounts are not under-engineered and suspension tuned correctly.
I don't find the current Spyder overly stiff for street driving, compliance through suspension tuning can handle any increases in the new suspensions capability, Porsche will get it right.

I welcome any critique of these propositions.
My 2 cents...
Old 08-15-2021, 03:28 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

I think that a central top scoop were the brake light is could be a very feasible cold air intake, but if that were the case why we haven't seen spy shots already?

If it is true, and not some silly mistake of the dealer, the only chance that I see this to be true and a release at the same date of the GT4 RS, is that the launch would be only for cosmetic/aero changes on the Spyder already tested on the GT4 (ex. front aero) but without any HP increase, and certainly not additional intakes in this regard, just more of an RS look tribute to the 550 Spyder heritage.

That would explain why they don't need to test anything more, hence no mule and spy shots of the Spyder have been seen.

Last edited by metalone; 08-15-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Agreed. Right or wrong is personal perspective and irrelevant. But if this car does come to fruition, it’ll be like the Speedster, where most of them spend more time on Instagram than on the road, and change hands every two years or 500 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:59 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Vivicorsi
oh god here we go again
Sure, one extra thread, no big deal. If every troll posted the same thing, over and over again, the forum will be cluttered with rubbish.

There already is a thread for the 4RS.

Posting a new thread when there is an active one shows a total disregard and extrudes a sense of entitlement, "why should I post on the active thread when I can just start a new one?" D!ckh3ad
Old 08-16-2021, 04:08 AM
Vivicorsi
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, one extra thread, no big deal. If every troll posted the same thing, over and over again, the forum will be cluttered with rubbish.

Posting a new thread when there is an active one shows a total disregard and extrudes a sense of entitlement, "why should I post on the active thread when I can just start a new one?" D!ckh3ad

well isn’t there an extra thread for the touring ,and the Gt3?

i think your problem lies more within your assumption that the 718 spyder rs won’t happen.

and I don’t really see any necessity to use this kind of language just because you have a different opinion.
The following users liked this post:
manual_laborer (08-18-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 05:45 AM
Porsche365
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GooDy151
I had already put my money for my allocation for GT4RS.

Today my dealer reached out to me and told me that
there is also 718 Spyder RS coming along with GT4RS.
They both will be announce same time around November.

Is this sound stupidly nonsense for you guys?

FYI.
I live in Asia now. In a country that we pay 4-5 times more on car price.
I lived in USA for 15years I know how stupid this might sound to you guys
about allocation on gt4rs but how things work in asia are different from USA.
we only get less than 20 of RS car each model to our country.
so they really have to be spoken for way before it release.
I have been pestering my dealership manager and my sales exec for 1.5 years for the GT4 RS
Old 08-16-2021, 08:49 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Imagine if he got this excited over things that actually matter. lol What change might be achieved!
Old 08-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agreed. Right or wrong is personal perspective and irrelevant. But if this car does come to fruition, it’ll be like the Speedster, where most of them spend more time on Instagram than on the road, and change hands every two years or 500 miles, whichever comes first.
I track my 718 Spyder 2 or 3 times a years and already started a new waiting list at my dealer for the RS!

Old 08-16-2021, 12:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,067 Posts

My trusty SA only offered that there is “no official confirmation”.

There is a list though and now I’m on it.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Not sure if I should pester my SA or not, for a slot. Are there RS price projections? If it is in GT3 range...would people still go with a GT4/spyder RS?
Old 08-16-2021, 12:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Not sure if I should pester my SA or not, for a slot. Are there RS price projections? If it is in GT3 range...would people still go with a GT4/spyder RS?
Price is a factor for some of us, but as it relates to a GT3 price level or indeed Speedster...

It might turn out to be too expensive (value to me) or with no MT either can sink my desire to have one, my Spyder is so complete that there has to be some real value to me to want one.

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread