Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 12:14 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder718
I still think the Spyder RS is a pipe dream. Maybe, just maybe, it's a parts bin special to wave the Boxster as we know it goodbye, but that should be about it.
Most of the stuff will go right on the Spyder except aero…just like the current 718 GT cars.

My dealership wouldn’t confirm, but they do have a list so there is that.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:28 AM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Most of the stuff will go right on the Spyder except aero…just like the current 718 GT cars.
If that turns out they'd have to do something to justify the RS moniker. Slightly de-tuned GT3 engine would be that. Why not throw the kitchen sink at it before you reveal the "glorious" electric Boxster? Sad, but I can see that...
Old 08-19-2021, 12:35 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not quite sure what you mean by 'mods', this is the transmission, not a mod as it currently comes this way..., even the older Boxster transmission both 5 and 6 speeds could handle a lot more power than the 4.0l produces, LS V8's in fact.

And lets be honest the Spyder RS is not really destined to be a track weapon, that is the GT4 and GT4 RS claim to fame. So to me it makes perfect sense to have the Spyder RS available with a manual transmission!
The point about the use of the word “mods” in no way reinforces any point about Porsche being required to put an MT in an RS. Neither is your pronouncement about Porsche’s intent with an RS Spyder, as confident as you may feel in that position. Rail against the reported decision, fine, but your personal views on the track status of the spyder vs the gt4 are irrelevant. The creation of an RS variant, if it exists, says exactly what Porsche thinks about the subject - track weapon, unless we are being very cynical and just accusing Porsche of milking the RS name.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-19-2021 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Not saying it is...but....would a RS Spyder with NO roof do it for you??
Old 08-19-2021, 09:07 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Not for me personally... I use the roof for sun protection on hot days... which has been a lot lately.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

"Confirmed 718 Spyder RS is coming"

haha, lots of people are still waiting for their 982 regular Spyder, whether for new conrods or new engine (or complete car). Would they like more waiting ?
Old 08-19-2021, 09:36 AM
///Pip
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GooDy151
To be honest…
I told them the same thing.

I was like
“impossible to have RS roofless”
”make no sense”
”where the wing would go?”
“How about extra intake on rear glass”
go on and on
etc.

Then they were like…
Calm down I’m not trying to argue with you.
I’m just informing you that there is going be and Spyder RS coming.
debut to public nov 2021.
They weren’t joking though.
I mean I still don’t believe this.
But They really are reputable authorized dealer
and only one in country.
I already put down the money for first one delivery in this country anyway. It’s refundable if not happening.
well… will see.

Im seriously not try to prove anything.
I’m just really concerned and hope to get more info about it.

Sure or not? Which SA did you speak to?
Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

If it also come with a lower windshield (like those in 993 Speedster) or no windshield at all, that will be interesting.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
The point about the use of the word “mods” in no way reinforces any point about Porsche being required to put an MT in an RS. Neither is your pronouncement about Porsche’s intent with an RS Spyder, as confident as you may feel in that position. Rail against the reported decision, fine, but your personal views on the track status of the spyder vs the gt4 are irrelevant. The creation of an RS variant, if it exists, says exactly what Porsche thinks about the subject - track weapon, unless we are being very cynical and just accusing Porsche of milking the RS name.
WOW, chill man, this is just supposed to be a friendly discussion! I was and still am confused about your use of the word 'mods' when it comes to the available transmission, if you are taking this as an argument then feel free NOT to reply... I did not say it was a requirement just a wish, Porsche will do what they want or feel will work best and sell the most units.

My view of what I feel the car could be is just as valid as anyone else, there has already been a good number of posts how a convertible is not the best choice for a track tool, Andreas said it as well at Goodwood, thinking that they might offer the Spyder RS as more of a street version is not really a stretch. As for this being cynical and milking the name... their names have always been a little bit of a stretch, call this series of mid-engine car a 718, why because of the heritage/DNA angle, how about Turbo being applied to the electric cars...

...come on it happens so lighten up already and lets get back to 'friendly' discussions!
Old 08-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Not for me personally... I use the roof for sun protection on hot days... which has been a lot lately.
Not for me either, my current Spyder with it's roof is usable in many ways, even as a manual version there is no need to leave it one way or another as the weather conditions change, rain or too much sun can dictate when it goes up, not having it means no options for that day, options are always good!

Just like a having a MT!
n4v4nod (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 12:27 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder718
I still think the Spyder RS is a pipe dream. Maybe, just maybe, it's a parts bin special to wave the Boxster as we know it goodbye, but that should be about it.
I agree that the RS moniker on the Spyder is an extreme stretch. I'm still going with Spyder R if this even happens. Putting the RS moniker on the Spyder without giving it the full RS treatment would be diluting the RS brand and basically turning it into BMW where they slap M onto everything.

The GT4 RS and the Spyder 000 are the swan song models of the 982 gen. IF and it's a big if, PAG does a Spyder R(S) treatment, that would definitely indicate the 982 is on the way out for the 983 (or whatever the internal code is.)
Old 08-19-2021, 01:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I agree that the RS moniker on the Spyder is an extreme stretch. I'm still going with Spyder R if this even happens. Putting the RS moniker on the Spyder without giving it the full RS treatment would be diluting the RS brand and basically turning it into BMW where they slap M onto everything.

The GT4 RS and the Spyder 000 are the swan song models of the 982 gen. IF and it's a big if, PAG does a Spyder R(S) treatment, that would definitely indicate the 982 is on the way out for the 983 (or whatever the internal code is.)
Well you can look back on other Porsche use of RS such as the 2008 987.1 Boxster Spyder RS60 or the RS Americas to see it can be just a marketing use. Believe folks have painted the term in too tight a box on here.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
You do realize that the Spyder 000 is not an official special edition... right? It's a Exclusive Manufaktur partnership with 000 magazine... Not an official PAG model like the GT4 RS.
So I think there is opportunity for a swan song Spyder model... I don't think we will see a low or no windshield... this needs to be street legal... both of which won't be. Personally, I was hoping for something more street focused to end the era of 100% ICE for the 718 before going hybrid.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:59 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
You do realize that the Spyder 000 is not an official special edition... right? It's a Exclusive Manufaktur partnership with 000 magazine... Not an official PAG model like the GT4 RS.
So I think there is opportunity for a swan song Spyder model... I don't think we will see a low or no windshield... this needs to be street legal... both of which won't be. Personally, I was hoping for something more street focused to end the era of 100% ICE for the 718 before going hybrid.
Yup, I do know the 000 is technically not an "edition" but more of a partnership and exercise of design which resulted in a distinct model with it's own branding (000 door sills and key fob if I remember correctly.)

As far as chopping or raking the windshield more, I don't that's happening either. The Speedster did that as the "convertible version" of the GT3 so with the Spyder being the "convertible version" of the GT4, it technically would have been already done on the Spyder if it was ever going to be done. Besides, doing it on the Speedster, jumped the price to over $300k. There is definitely not that kind of head room for the Spyder to be in that price range.

The GT4 RS is already going to be the swan song for the 982. That is a fact. Whether they do a swan song for the Spyder is the question at hand.
n4v4nod (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:03 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I could see it being more like the RS 60 Spyder vs the Boxster S of the time, in the type of upgrades it gets over the normal 718 Spyder.

Whatever GT4 RS performance upgrades that can be transferred, in addition to classic/unique trim packages and new color options.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread