Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021 | 10:51 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

@Westcoast It gets old, people being preachy about what a spyder is or isn’t. Your pronouncement that the Snyder (or spyder rs) not being “destined to be a track car” is completely presumptuous on your part, and that bit is getting old. Lots of people absolutely love tracking even their “lowly” normal boxsters, and they are absolutely sublime at doing it. Your assertion is saying Porsche making a gt variant boxster (ie a spyder) is pure marketing hooey, as in reality a huge percentage of the capability of a spyder is legally only accessible on a track. An rs would be an even more cynical cash grab by Porsche, if they were really meant to go to Starbucks instead of COTA.

People track different cars for different reasons. Affordability, styling, performance, etc all play a role in track car selection. Saying the gt4 is the “real” track car is complete BS, no different than saying, since it is eclipsed by the gt3, the gt4 is not really destined for the track. That statement is bogus, same as saying the spyder isn’t a real track car, in order to (very tangentially) justify it getting a MT option.

You want a manual. I get it. Power to you. My order is currently manual, too. But that isn’t because it isn’t a track car. It is a heroically good track car (if youTubers are to be believed), and a MT choice for it is all about personal preference over optimal performance.

But don’t justify putting an MT in it because it “isn’t really a track car.” Plenty WOULD go to Starbucks, instead of COTA, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t also meant to be a track star.

Direct response wording and use of the word “your” beefs up the sense of something being an attack. It is a strongly and directly worded response. I never called you names or insulted you.

Peace.
Old 08-19-2021 | 11:26 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

981/982/718 platform is designed as a convertible. So having a pinnacle version of it with a drop-top is never a compromise IMHO.

I've also owned a 987 Spyder since almost new so I may be biased.
Old 08-20-2021 | 12:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
@Westcoast It gets old, people being preachy about what a spyder is or isn’t. Your pronouncement that the Snyder (or spyder rs) not being “destined to be a track car” is completely presumptuous on your part, and that bit is getting old. Lots of people absolutely love tracking even their “lowly” normal boxsters, and they are absolutely sublime at doing it. Your assertion is saying Porsche making a gt variant boxster (ie a spyder) is pure marketing hooey, as in reality a huge percentage of the capability of a spyder is legally only accessible on a track. An rs would be an even more cynical cash grab by Porsche, if they were really meant to go to Starbucks instead of COTA.

People track different cars for different reasons. Affordability, styling, performance, etc all play a role in track car selection. Saying the gt4 is the “real” track car is complete BS, no different than saying, since it is eclipsed by the gt3, the gt4 is not really destined for the track. That statement is bogus, same as saying the spyder isn’t a real track car, in order to (very tangentially) justify it getting a MT option.

You want a manual. I get it. Power to you. My order is currently manual, too. But that isn’t because it isn’t a track car. It is a heroically good track car (if youTubers are to be believed), and a MT choice for it is all about personal preference over optimal performance.

But don’t justify putting an MT in it because it “isn’t really a track car.” Plenty WOULD go to Starbucks, instead of COTA, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t also meant to be a track star.

Direct response wording and use of the word “your” beefs up the sense of something being an attack. It is a strongly and directly worded response. I never called you names or insulted you.

Peace.
Whoa, what what is this? My name is at the beginning but there is not a single quote of what I have said in this thread...

I guess this is a good thing because none of it is representative of how I feel about the current Spyder or the possibility of the Spyder RS!

Please feel free to share your opinions on the subject but I ask that you not write your own narrative and then present these words as mine to suit your own agenda, thanks!
Old 08-20-2021 | 03:26 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

@Westcoast Not that anyone really cares (including me), but check post 186 above.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming. I’m out on the back and forth.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-20-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2021 | 12:53 PM
GooDy151
Track Day

Updated
On order sheet it will be called

“718 Spyder Special Edition”

My dealer claim this is the name that appear in email.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 01:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I believe Chris3963 prophesized a special spyder quite a while back.
Old 08-29-2021 | 01:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GooDy151
Updated

“718 Spyder Special Edition”

Well, a Special Edition could be quite a bit different then a RS version when it comes to these cars... Understand when I say that I hope you are wrong.

TBH, IMHO I already have the SE version of this car, ordered with all of the available performance options and the visual queues that I wanted.

What I was hoping for was more in line of what the RS is to bring to the GT4, more performance... without that part of the equation (at least for me) it might be a pass.
Old 08-29-2021 | 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GooDy151
Updated

“718 Spyder Special Edition

that is not an RS.
Spyder718 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 03:20 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that is not an RS.
Semantics. A 718 spyder is now a GT car, but GT appears nowhere in the name. No one knows jack until a spec is released. Porsche apparently doesn't want to associate GT badging with the spyder, even when it is basically the same car as one it does badge as such...minus a roof and a wing.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-29-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2021 | 03:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Semantics. A 718 spyder is now a GT car, but GT appears nowhere in the name. No one knows jack until a spec is released. Porsche apparently doesn't want to associate GT badging with the spyder, even when it is basically the same car as one it does badge as such...minus a roof and a wing.
its more than that ... but your the self proclaimed expert here apparently ... thw devil is in the details which apparently you are unaware of.
Old 08-29-2021 | 06:33 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hilarious.

abarthguy (09-06-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:06 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its more than that ... but your the self proclaimed expert here apparently ... thw devil is in the details which apparently you are unaware of.
lol OMG are you 8? You're the presumptuous twit making pronouncements as to how Porsche can badge their cars. I point out a totally valid case in point...a GT spyder with no GT in the name (with no darts thrown, I would like to point out), but you just fire back with immaturity and mouth. But sure...you've got the secret code book which Porsche has signed in blood.

The main point being Porsche can make the special edition name mean anything they want it to. Without your permission. I make no claim to knowing what they -WILL- do. That's the difference. Yes, I realize there is precedent to how names are used, but that REQUIRES Porsche to do absolutely nothing. Is the spyder a GT car or not? Does it have GT in the name? Yes it is, and no it doesn't.

I'm out of the tit for tat, so fire away with another generic, logically unsupported insult. I'll be doing something more interesting with my time; maybe organizing my stamp collection.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-29-2021 at 07:29 PM.
T i h o r (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:31 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

who cares?

it will be unobtainium for most normal Porschephiles

and when dealers add their ADMs it will be uninteresting

so, does it matter what they call it?
AlexCeres (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
who cares?

it will be unobtainium for most normal Porschephiles

and when dealers add their ADMs it will be uninteresting

so, does it matter what they call it?
There's a lot of truth there
Old 08-29-2021 | 09:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

lol OMG are you 8? You're the presumptuous twit making pronouncements as to how Porsche can badge their cars. I point out a totally valid case in point...a GT spyder with no GT in the name (with no darts thrown, I would like to point out), but you just fire back with immaturity and mouth. But sure...you've got the secret code book which Porsche has signed in blood.

The main point being Porsche can make the special edition name mean anything they want it to. Without your permission. I make no claim to knowing what they -WILL- do. That's the difference. Yes, I realize there is precedent to how names are used, but that REQUIRES Porsche to do absolutely nothing. Is the spyder a GT car or not? Does it have GT in the name? Yes it is, and no it doesn't.

I'm out of the tit for tat, so fire away with another generic, logically unsupported insult. I'll be doing something more interesting with my time; maybe organizing my stamp collection.
You’re missing his very valid point. The use of the RS designation means something very specific in the Porsche product line. It either is or it isn’t an RS. It’s unlikely that Porsche would build a true RS spec Spyder and then call it something different like a Special Edition.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread