Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 03:37 AM
Vivicorsi
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
I'm not assuming anything, I would love for more variants to be available for everyone to enjoy.

The problem is not the speculation nor the discussion.

I simply do not appreciate people who disregard forum practices and CBF otherwise.

is the use of insults a forum practice ?
I don’t think that was appropriate in any way.

The following users liked this post:
manual_laborer (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 09:20 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivicorsi
is the use of insults a forum practice ?
I don’t think that was appropriate in any way.
Agreed. The initial response was ridiculously rude / excessive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
manual_laborer (08-18-2021), Vivicorsi (08-17-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:23 AM
GooDy151
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Information I have so far from my dealer.
PDK only for both.
GT4 RS and Spyder RS.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:37 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Wondering if the GT4 gets the full RS treatment and the Spyder gets whatever will fit from the GT4 RS but since not all will work, they call it the Spyder R. Obviously, the Spyder will not have the 3/4 window intake nor the swan neck wing but as I mentioned earlier, PAG would be smart to spread their R&D cost around to multiple models. In this case not just the GT4 but also on the Spyder. After all, they did it with the 982 Spyder where it is basically the convertible version of the GT4 whereas previous generations, the Spyder was just a maxed out GTS variant.

I could see PAG...
1. putting in the enhanced motor from the GT4 RS into the Spyder (R)
2. putting the frunk NACA ducts from the GT4 RS
3. putting on the front fender vents (on top of the fender) from the GT4 RS
4. putting on the trailing vents on the front fender from the GT4 RS
5. putting on the larger air curtain or whatever is showing in the spy photos on the front corners of the bumpers from the GT4 RS
6. larger front splitter from the (regular) GT4 since there won't be a swan neck on the rear and I assume the GT4 RS will have an even larger front splitter than the regular GT4
7. center lock wheels from GT4 RS
8. possibly forged wheels (haven't heard any mention of this possibility from spy shots of GT4 RS)
9. side intake blade from regular GT4
10. possible titanium exhaust
11. maybe Spyder keeps the smaller ducktail wing but instead is fixed in position and instead adds an adjustable "mid-size" fixed rear wing. Doubt this would happen as this would require testing and nobody has seen any kind of mule running around with this set up
Old 08-18-2021, 06:14 AM
manual_laborer
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

That would be a lot of additional front downforce that they’d need to balance at the back. The reason the Spyder has the smaller front splitter is to balance out the absence of the wing.
metalone (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:26 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manual_laborer
That would be a lot of additional front downforce that they’d need to balance at the back. The reason the Spyder has the smaller front splitter is to balance out the absence of the wing.
Correct. I'd hate to see a large wing on the back of the Spyder as I think it would just ruin the lines of the car. Those humps are just beautiful and sets the car apart from mere mortals. To put a wing on the back even if a small fixed rear wing would upset the visual flow for me.

In any case, back to the front downforce, I read in an Excellence magazine that the the Spyder produces 8lbs of downforce at the rear and is balanced with much less lift in the front vs the GT4 having downforce front and rear. ...but then if I remember correctly, AP said in a video that there is downforce both at the front and rear on the Spyder. Either way, considering the GT4 has a large rear wing and a larger front splitter maybe the difference isn't really all that different considering the Spyder is missing the large rear wing. Maybe the Spyder keeps its smaller splitter and adds the other go faster bits on the front end from the GT4 RS and it balances ok with the 8lbs of rear downforce. ...or maybe the rear winglet is turned more into a substantial ducktail to help balance the additional front downforce.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by GooDy151
Information I have so far from my dealer.
PDK only for both.
GT4 RS and Spyder RS.
Your dealer must know the cleaning lady then, mine knows nothing of the Spyder RS and only because of the spy shots on the net acknowledges that the GT4 RS may be real...

As for PDK only, how would your dealer know that unless the specs have been released to them? PDK only for the Spyder RS would suck IMHO, not what I would want at all!
Old 08-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Wondering if the GT4 gets the full RS treatment and the Spyder gets whatever will fit from the GT4 RS but since not all will work, they call it the Spyder R. Obviously, the Spyder will not have the 3/4 window intake nor the swan neck wing but as I mentioned earlier, PAG would be smart to spread their R&D cost around to multiple models. In this case not just the GT4 but also on the Spyder. After all, they did it with the 982 Spyder where it is basically the convertible version of the GT4 whereas previous generations, the Spyder was just a maxed out GTS variant.

I could see PAG...
1. putting in the enhanced motor from the GT4 RS into the Spyder (R)
2. putting the frunk NACA ducts from the GT4 RS
3. putting on the front fender vents (on top of the fender) from the GT4 RS
4. putting on the trailing vents on the front fender from the GT4 RS
5. putting on the larger air curtain or whatever is showing in the spy photos on the front corners of the bumpers from the GT4 RS
6. larger front splitter from the (regular) GT4 since there won't be a swan neck on the rear and I assume the GT4 RS will have an even larger front splitter than the regular GT4
7. center lock wheels from GT4 RS
8. possibly forged wheels (haven't heard any mention of this possibility from spy shots of GT4 RS)
9. side intake blade from regular GT4
10. possible titanium exhaust
11. maybe Spyder keeps the smaller ducktail wing but instead is fixed in position and instead adds an adjustable "mid-size" fixed rear wing. Doubt this would happen as this would require testing and nobody has seen any kind of mule running around with this set up
Hmmm, Center lock wheels would suck, they look great but are a pain for most of us, and while on the subject of wheels, I have forged ones on my Spyder now, held on by Titanium bolts too!

All of the visual changes might look great on a GT4 track tool, but may look too 'boy racer' and the currently stunning and beautiful Spyder wouldn't you say?

Regarding the engine, I would never say no to more power and a higher redline, but I have already added Titanium OAP's and Rear section to my Spyder giving it (IMHO) better sound and more power, if I really wanted it more then the headers could be changed too, not cheap but only a smallish increment now as compared to selling my Spyder to get the RS.

I am not sure if I am excited or worried, on one hand the RS sounds like it could be great, on the other it may be not that much of a improvement for those of us already driving an amazing car? Especially if I bring the real world cost to make this move, perhaps $50K all said, or maybe more?

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-18-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 08-18-2021, 01:33 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Hmmm, Center lock wheels would suck, they look great but are a pain for most of us, and while on the subject of wheels, I have forged ones on my Spyder now, held on by Titanium bolts too!

All of the visual changes might look great on a GT4 track too, but may look too 'boy racer' and the currently stunning and beautiful Spyder wouldn't you say?

Regarding the engine, I would never say no to more power and a higher redline, but I have already added Titanium OAP's and Rear section to my Spyder giving it (IMHO) better sound and more power, if I really wanted it more then the headers could be changed too, not cheap but only a smallish increment now as compared to selling my Spyder to get the RS.

I am not sure if I am excited or worried, on one hand the RS sound like it could be great, on the other it may be not that much of a improvement for those of us already driving an amazing car? Especially if I bring the real world cost to make this move, perhaps $50K all said, maybe more?
I agree that it might look too boy racer on the Spyder and considering that at this point, the Spyder RS is total heresy, I'll hold final judgment until it's released (if at all) and how they implement all of the RS details......but until then, it sure is fun to daydream and speculate.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:15 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

IIRC... For watch it's worth... Henry Catchpole's interview at Goodwood with AP when the GT4/Spyder launched that he disliked the visual of a wing on the Spyder and stated it makes no sense.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:36 PM
GooDy151
Track Day

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Your dealer must know the cleaning lady then, mine knows nothing of the Spyder RS and only because of the spy shots on the net acknowledges that the GT4 RS may be real...

As for PDK only, how would your dealer know that unless the specs have been released to them? PDK only for the Spyder RS would suck IMHO, not what I would want at all!
I think they know Sale Director not Cleaning lady. They would not discuss spec with Cleaning lady.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:46 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I think they know Sale Director not Cleaning lady. They would not discuss spec with Cleaning lady.
It's a running joke to say the cleaning lady knows these highly kept secrets and is spilling the beans. Don't know where it came from though. Maybe someone can chime in and explain history.

I guess it's kind of like how John Boyega left the official Star Wars script in the hotel room under the bed and the housekeeper found it, gave it to a friend who then put it up for sale on eBay.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:42 PM
GooDy151
Track Day

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
It's a running joke to say the cleaning lady knows these highly kept secrets and is spilling the beans. Don't know where it came from though. Maybe someone can chime in and explain history.

I guess it's kind of like how John Boyega left the official Star Wars script in the hotel room under the bed and the housekeeper found it, gave it to a friend who then put it up for sale on eBay.
I totally get the joke or the sarcasm of Cleaning lady. 😊

And that was my joke back to him 😀
Old 08-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I totally get the joke or the sarcasm of Cleaning lady. 😊

And that was my joke back to him 😀
But didn't you know that the Cleaning Lady is the Sales Directors boss!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:56 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

GooDy151 is correct. PDK only.
JAhmed (08-18-2021)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread