Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What did you buy your 718 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024 | 01:01 AM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Nice, enjoy.

Mild thread hijack - DS2500 will be somewhat of an upgrade over OEM for bite and modulation, but will wear exceedingly quickly as you move up the HPDE ranks.

Even with the free FCPEuro lifetime replacement, it becomes a hassle to change them every coupla days. Do yourself a favor and skip directly to 3.12s or Pagid RSL-29. Better performance and wear and OK on the street. Many threads on this topic, but this is the consensus.
Well after a full day at the track I'm definitely not impressed with the DS2500. They aren't much if any improvement over stock, and my god do they stink. I switch back and forth between autocross and the track nearly every week, so I didn't want a dedicated track pad, and changing them that often would be a huge pain. If another pad would be capable of dual duty I'm all ears!

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Def share your feedback on the DSC controller, and the changes you feel on track. This has been a simple mod I have been pondering over the past few months, but Im not sure if I should do this before changing out mechanical elements like front Camber Plates, and rear Toe Links - these two wont be going on the car until the winter months for next season.
Knocked over 2.5 seconds off my personal best from 2 weeks ago. I'd say some of that time is just learning the car/track better, but I absolutely feel the DSC controller helped my confidence. Ride is improved on the street and the car just feels more composed on track.

It's not night and day, but I experienced less push and was able to carry more speed in corners. Worth the $1400 IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 08:17 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

3.12 and Pagid yellows are fine on the street. I run the Pagids year round and I know folks much more expert than me who keep the 3.12s on for street use. A little squealing on low speed stops but unless you're a Princess and Pea kind of person or drive a lot in stop and go traffic, not a problem.

Last edited by ldamelio; 05-31-2024 at 08:19 AM.
BoxKing (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 09:07 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

3.12 and Pagid yellows are fine on the street. I run the Pagids year round and I know folks much more expert than me who keep the 3.12s on for street use. A little squealing on low speed stops but unless you're a Princess and Pea kind of person or drive a lot in stop and go traffic, not a problem.
I think there are two un- calculated values here that are being overlooked for his case use. AutoX doesnt provide you time to warm up the 3.12's/P Yellows for initial bite, where the 2500's provide better cold response. Another would be if one is still looking to put a decent amount of street miles on their car, these pads vs. 2500's will excessively war down the rotors.

As you know, I put on the 2500's, I liked them, though I didn't have a benchmark to work from prior, as it was my first time on track. Will I out grown them by next year, possibly, but I'll use my own pedal feedback, and the more knowledgeable passenger (Instructors) to help me decide when that time is right. Changing to the Tarett Stud conversion, paired with new SS Brake line to get rid of the hard lines makes for simple pad changes in less than an hour. My future plan will be to swap 3.12's at the begging of track season, then revert back to 2500's for the off-season, so a couple pre-arranged pad swaps isnt that big of a deal. As much as I plan to to gain the skill sets to move away from the 2500's on track, I also hope I can live with them through next season... its really hard for the frugal side of me to look away from the FCP free exchange program, though if/when the time comes where the switch is "required", it will most likely be due to adding safety for myself, and others on track, and not for chasing seconds off my laps - but the two should go hand-&-hand.

Last edited by BoxKing; 05-31-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:00 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Just for another reference point, I have swapped to the 3.12s and I really don't see a downside. The initial bite when cold is pretty good, leaves no desire for more. The dust is not excessive, seems less than the OE pad. Finally the noise, I do get a squeak every now and then, that typically happens when you have not gotten any heat in them to transfer material to the rotor. If they continue to squeak simply get them warm with a few bigger brake cycles. The cost, yea they are more expensive so there is that.

I would 100% buy them again.
The following 2 users liked this post by j-dub:
slilley (06-01-2024), TRSCobra (06-16-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

100%, and some of us like that little squeak. Also, the Chicas can't help looking over at what's squeaking, right LD?

If you are going to track the car often, get on the track pads asap. 3.12 or Yellows, whatever.
2500's won't hold up under constant Threshold Braking, they just won't.
Do you really want to install a new set of pads after every track event? If you are a competent driver, you will blow though the 2500's in a heartbeat.

2500's aren't a track pad, period!!

Race pads are fine on the street as well.
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:26 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

I'm considering changing the stock brake pads to minimize brake dust and for occasional light track use. The Ferodo 3.12 pads have a bit of squeaking, and the Porterfield pads produce less brake dust but have a spongy brake feel and may not be suitable for track days.
I'm curious if anyone here has tried Emotion brake pads and could share their feedback. I searched the forum but didn't find much opinion on them.

Old 05-31-2024 | 01:28 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
I'm considering changing the stock brake pads to minimize brake dust and for occasional light track use. The Ferodo 3.12 pads have a bit of squeaking, and the Porterfield pads produce less brake dust but have a spongy brake feel and may not be suitable for track days.
I'm curious if anyone here has tried Emotion brake pads and could share their feedback. I searched the forum but didn't find much opinion on them.

WOW on the $1200.

Would love to hear some feedback on these as well. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:34 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

The price for the Ceramic set is $1880 before tax.
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

The price for the Ceramic set is $1880 before tax.
Ceramics on the track? I misunderstood, sorry about that. I thought we were talking about track pads. My bad.
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:45 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Ceramics on the track? I misunderstood, sorry about that. I thought we were talking about trackpads. My bad.
I'm talking about the pads, but if you have Ceramic Rotor, they sell a different kind of pads for $1880.

https://emotionengineering.co/collec...40682358276282
alwaysdriving (06-12-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:52 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I'm talking about the pads, but if you have Ceramic Rotor,
So am I. Why would you track ceramic rotors on a regular basis. Seems like a lot of $$ spent for no gain, then add the cost of a track pad that will work with those ceramic discs.

3.12s, Yellows, etc. and Gyrodisc slotted discs. That's your track set up, whether you street the car or not.

I am also talking about competent track drivers, advanced, instructors, racers, etc. Never seen them on a car that's tracked regularly, (including my 2, although I am not a great track driver by any stretch).

Slotted rotors (read: not OEM cross drilled discs) and a real track pad work great on the track and are fine for the street.

Again, I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, and if I am, sorry about that...again.
LoodorneGT4 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 01:58 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Everything sounds good. I agree with you, but I don't have ceramic. I just want to point out that the price is even higher if the car is equipped with ceramic rotors. If anyone has feedback on these, I would love to hear it as well.
Old 05-31-2024 | 02:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Everything sounds good. I agree with you, but I don't have ceramic. I just want to point out that the price is even higher if the car is equipped with ceramic rotors. If anyone has feedback on these, I would love to hear it as well.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I had what you were saying backwards. It's Friday, and it's 5:00 somewhere....

Point I was trying to make is that if you are tracking a particular car regularly, track pads and slotted discs are the way to go. 2-piece discs at that as you only have to replace the disc and not the hat when they get near end of life.

I am on track driving, instructing, pro coaching, or all 3 about 100 days/calendar year.
I would not use any brake setup other than the one I am using for the kind of beating that my cars take on the track.
Neither are street legal, so they only see track time via my trailer. I do not street these 2 cars, track only, and under a lot of track stress, hence the brake setup.

The same setup is perfectly fine on the street, and I happen to love when the brakes squeak on the track at slow and cold speeds. Badge of honor I guess.

Thanks again for clarifying your point. Yes, 100% agree.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
alwaysdriving (06-12-2024), LoodorneGT4 (05-31-2024)
Old 06-11-2024 | 10:10 AM
matt0520
Rennlist Member

Tried the Rennline phone mount, don't love it for iPhone plus/max sizes. Anyone want a like new mount for a steep discount? If you have a smaller phone it'll work great lol.

pgap718 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024 | 10:21 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt0520
Tried the Rennline phone mount, don't love it for iPhone plus/max sizes. Anyone want a like new mount for a steep discount? If you have a smaller phone it'll work great lol.

Just fyi, I added a small piece of metal to move the mount to the right about an inch. I find it really helps with radio access. I don't use that cupholder and glove box access is unaffected.

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today?