Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What did you buy your 718 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,270 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I will be buying a set of Hawk pads, and installing them within the next week or two. My GT4 is currently my daily driver, so I should be able to provide some solid feedback with regards to dust reduction - I’ll wash the car after, then take daily photos to show the progression of dust accumulation. Hopefully I can provide some performance feedback as well, but Im new to tracking so I wouldnt stake my observations alone on pad choice - but I do hit backroads hard on a weekly basis.

So is TireRack the place to go to with regards to the Hawk pads..? They have the best pricing, but their descriptions dont match 100%.
This would be great info. And honestly i'd love your thoughts on it at the track as well. I only just now did my first track day in the GT4 over the weekend and i only have a total of 4 track days under my belt so i'm still pretty new to it. If they feel close enough to OEM in your mind then these will be a strong contender for me. I also daily my GT4 so significantly less dust will be really nice to have.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:27 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Exclamation

I will be buying a set of Hawk pads, and installing them within the next week or two. My GT4 is currently my daily driver, so I should be able to provide some solid feedback with regards to dust reduction - I’ll wash the car after, then take daily photos to show the progression of dust accumulation. Hopefully I can provide some performance feedback as well, but Im new to tracking so I wouldnt stake my observations alone on pad choice - but I do hit backroads hard on a weekly basis.

So is TireRack the place to go to with regards to the Hawk pads..?
They have the best pricing, but their descriptions dont match 100%.
BoxKing,

Just my opinion .................
You would be wise to back-up and look CAREFULLY at my prior posts regarding the Tire Rack regarding Hawk Ceramic Pads for the 2021 Cayman GT4.
Unless they have {FINALLY} updated their part numbers they more than likely still have the WRONG part number for either the Front or Rear pads I don't recall which now.

The number they have listed and even after me speaking to them over the phone they gave me the WRONG Part Number.
It was not intentional from the rep I spoke to it was because the Tire Rack had the WRONG part number listed and that's what he went by.

The WRONG part # was actually pads for the Porsche 911 and thankfully the Senior Tech (Shop Foreman) that's done all my GT4 work STOPPED, called me, and said these pads are to BIG.
They look like pads for the Porsche 911 and as it turned out he was 100% Correct.

I took the time to call Customer Service at Tire Rack and explained in Great-Detail that they had the Wrong part Number and gave them the CORRECT part #.
Later I went back after several weeks and guess what ???
They still had never-up-dated to the Correct part # !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-13-2023 at 11:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
BoxKing (06-13-2023), rp2000r (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 11:36 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 446 Posts

I ordered a set of Hawk Pads off TR - they are back ordered on the rears I think... which is fine. The price was good so i can wait. I can't stand the brake dust...
I drove the car 45 minutes yesterday and the wheels already were dusted...
Old 06-13-2023, 04:22 PM
zaksaid
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnetic K
Finally had the Akrapovic OAP link pipes installed mated to a Cargraphic valve controller.
Definitely an improvement over the stock exhaust. Nice growl through the entire rpm range. Has some pops too. Now the Spyder feels complete. The stock Spyder exhaust was missing that aural stimulation.
I was surprised at how light the Akras are compared to the stock exhaust, about 1/3 the weight.
Valve controller keeps the wife happy, so that she does not have to hear the rumbling of the exhaust while tooling around.

Akrapovic link pipes
Can you not mate these to the existing valve controller? If I got these OAPs then do I lose PSE?
Old 06-13-2023, 04:31 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
BoxKing,

Just my opinion .................
You would be wise to back-up and look CAREFULLY at my prior posts regarding the Tire Rack regarding Hawk Ceramic Pads for the 2021 Cayman GT4.
Unless they have {FINALLY} updated their part numbers they more than likely still have the WRONG part number for either the Front or Rear pads I don't recall which now.

The number they have listed and even after me speaking to them over the phone they gave me the WRONG Part Number.
It was not intentional from the rep I spoke to it was because the Tire Rack had the WRONG part number listed and that's what he went by.

The WRONG part # was actually pads for the Porsche 911 and thankfully the Senior Tech (Shop Foreman) that's done all my GT4 work STOPPED, called me, and said these pads are to BIG.
They look like pads for the Porsche 911 and as it turned out he was 100% Correct.

I took the time to call Customer Service at Tire Rack and explained in Great-Detail that they had the Wrong part Number and gave them the CORRECT part #.
Later I went back after several weeks and guess what ???
They still had never-up-dated to the Correct part # !!!

Terry
TY for the update. I would assume TR would have gotten their act together by now, and its not worth the hassle for the ~$70 savings (and on B/O), when I can order from Vivid, and ensure I get the right pads. Now to choose from the hundreds of different “break squeal grease” options and Ill be good to go.

Last edited by BoxKing; 06-13-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:33 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zaksaid
Can you not mate these to the existing valve controller? If I got these OAPs then do I lose PSE?
You will retain PSE, just as long as you haven’t tampered with the OEM valves in any way. But I vote you collar mod the the back box
Old 06-13-2023, 08:00 PM
zaksaid
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will retain PSE, just as long as you haven’t tampered with the OEM valves in any way. But I vote you collar mod the the back box
I've thought about it... but I do like the option of quieting it down when needed. From what I've seen akra OAP with factory backbox is going to be my ideal setup in terms of aggressive sounding exhaust + keeping it quiet for longer cruises.
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 09:25 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

TY for the update. I would assume TR would have gotten their act together by now, and its not worth the hassle for the ~$70 savings (and on B/O), when I can order from Vivid, and ensure I get the right pads. Now to choose from the hundreds of different “break squeal grease” options and Ill be good to go.
The hawk pads come with a pouch of grease. I don’t use them though. I have been using the mercedes brake paste that is my go to grease. You only need it for contact points on top that is touched by the retaining spring clip, nothing on the brake piston.

Porsche did not use any grease at all. When I remove the pads, there is no sign of anti-squeal grease being applied.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:13 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Clear corners

No drill

For the wheels and exhaust tips

Deep silk
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
Clark_Kent (07-05-2023), UncleDude (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:00 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Can you put the AMMO gelee over wheels that have been ceramic coated? Even with ceramic coating brake dust adheres to my wheels more than I would like.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:01 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay9722
Can you put the AMMO gelee over wheels that have been ceramic coated? Even with ceramic coating brake dust adheres to my wheels more than I would like.
Probably could
Email Larry and ask though. Its a great product
Old 06-17-2023, 08:52 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay9722
Try using Gyeon Wet Coat on your wheels. This stuff has been like magic for me, I apply a few sprays to each wheel during every wash, and my wheels have seen a massive reduction in dust. I dont have ceramic on my wheels, just a single coat of Cosmic Spritz. CarPro also makes a similar product, but I have not used it.

Pro tip if you try this route, fill Wet coat into a better spray bottle that allows for a better misting. I get months out of one bottle, vs. their stock sprayer, 1-2 applications (this can be said for almost any product you spray on your car)
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
CDACH (07-05-2023), UncleDude (06-17-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 01:07 AM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing;[url=tel:18863223
18863223[/url]]Try using Gyeon Wet Coat on your wheels. This stuff has been like magic for me, I apply a few sprays to each wheel during every wash, and my wheels have seen a massive reduction in dust. I dont have ceramic on my wheels, just a single coat of Cosmic Spritz. CarPro also makes a similar product, but I have not used it.

Pro tip if you try this route, fill Wet coat into a better spray bottle that allows for a better misting. I get months out of one bottle, vs. their stock sprayer, 1-2 applications (this can be said for almost any product you spray on your car)
I thought about this but with PCCB I was a little concerned with over spray. I use Dr. Beasley Matte Wheel Seal. Apply it to a clean wheel every few washes but on a towel first. Works pretty well.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:03 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1-DNA
I thought about this but with PCCB I was a little concerned with over spray. I use Dr. Beasley Matte Wheel Seal. Apply it to a clean wheel every few washes but on a towel first. Works pretty well.
I see the concern, but the overspray would be worn off after the first time you apply your brakes. Im a little confused, aren’t PCCB’s supposed to be virtually dust free? I’m not in the same boat as you as I have steels, but I spray the calipers head on, and dont bother with overspray, with no issues thus far.

I’ll add other tips that has really helped with keeping the dust down:

When washing the car, leave the emergency brakes released.
Wheel cleaner (Tuga) sprayed (IK pump sprayer 50/50 diluted) onto the calipers, rotators, wheel well, face. I agitate the product on the rotors/calipers using a bores hair brush. Using a pressure washer, target the rotors, aim the nozzle towards the brakes, and keep rinsing this entire area until you see the water running clear. Respray these areas with wheel cleaner and begin you regular wheel cleaning process (clean the wheel barrels). Use Hyde’s rust stopper, and apply Wet Coat to each wheel. It’s critical to apply these products once you have finished each wheel, not after you get them all cleaned, bc steels will begin to rust up within minutes.

Cleaning the brakes out, and the drilled rotors to free the baked in dust is vital. This is also a great method to follow for those experiencing brake squealing. I washed my car using this method last weekend (500 miles later), and in my eyes, the wheels have 50% less dust on them which is livable for my OCD.

Disclaimer, this is not a paid endorsement
The following 3 users liked this post by BoxKing:
bulkychipmonk (06-18-2023), Jonathan_987 (06-18-2023), rwm (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:57 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

All great advice!

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today?