Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What did you buy your 718 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:13 PM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Just in time for the first oil change and exhaust back box install
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (02-03-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:39 AM
rottwagon
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Musicar. Bose stage 2

Wow. I thought Bose would be an upgrade. Perhaps it was louder than base but it’s legit horrible. And I’m not an audiophile by any measure. Sometimes you need music and not just they joy of engine noise. Bose was hurtful. Seriously. I just installed Musicar stahe 2 for Bose. And just wow. I did the installation myself and with the help of their videos it was actually pretty easy. 3 hours max. I did my best to reference a few songs before and after. And after- it is just no comparison. This isn’t the typical I invested and therefore I expect returns. It’s wonderful.

The following 10 users liked this post by rottwagon:
alwaysdriving (02-01-2023), Big Belly 711 (01-30-2023), CDACH (01-31-2023), daaa nope (01-30-2023), Dan Nagy (02-04-2023), DerekHK (01-31-2023), ewp (06-02-2023), k3|th (09-17-2023), santiago660 (01-30-2023), UncleDude (01-30-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:53 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyrat2
Did these a few weeks back.

Which brand and will they fit the 718 GT4? If you have a link that would be appreciated!
Old 01-30-2023, 10:12 PM
Pyrat2
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes. That pic is on my 22 718 GT4. Install is pretty straightforward.

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...intake-grilles
Old 01-30-2023, 11:11 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Was it hard to get the sill off?
Old 01-31-2023, 02:51 PM
FRIZOU72
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 11 Posts

i would like android auto in my 2019 spyder
i tried cartlinkit 4 but it did not work

i buy an ottocast u 2 x pro...it's good
i am so happy
Old 01-31-2023, 04:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 897 Posts

Since they are in stock, I went ahead an ordered a DSC controller.
BabyNSX (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 04:59 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Since they are in stock, I went ahead an ordered a DSC controller.
Interested in reading your impressions!
The following 2 users liked this post by IRM:
BabyNSX (01-31-2023), MaddMike (01-31-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:19 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Which brand and will they fit the 718 GT4? If you have a link that would be appreciated!
Love the look of the Radiator Grill Store side grills, but unfortunately, they don't match my existing Zunsport front grills. I wish Zunsport made side grills that fit on the inside like the RGS ones.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:00 AM
JDWight
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rundown of my options...

So I picked up this 23 Spyder just after Thanksgiving and have about 1200 miles on it so far. I bought quite a few items for it and thought I'd give a synopsis of them and what I thought about them. Sorry for the length, quite a few pics but I bought a lot of stuff.

Not much to see on this pic but it does show the air intake screens from the Radiator Grille Store. They've already caught some leaves and quite a bit of gravel from the winter roads here so I think well worth the cost and effort to install, though getting the plastic covers off was not easy!

The car is covered in PPF. I ordered it without the Spyder emblem because I knew I'd ppf the whole car. This is the larger version off of the 981 series; the 982 series version is smaller. Also visible here are the Akrapovic exhaust tips which I have attached to a Soul valved exhaust/Soul Resonated OAP. The tips are normally too big at point of attachment for OEM or Soul exhaust but by using some thin aluminum flashing I was able to attach them pretty easily. They are very secure and look awesome.

Mud flaps for the front only. Barely visible and they protect those rear fender flares well. $75 from Tom Lawrowski.

DIY door handles/straps to match the Shark Blue seat belts. Easy DIY videos available on YouTube. Got these from fellow Rennlister but the product is available from Amazon and easy to duplicate. PM for details

Airbag sticker covers. Had these on previous 991.2 Targa and they're a must have to cover those irritating stickers. Available on eBay, very thin and easy to install. They match the black leather perfectly.

Kaizen cup holder from Flat 6 (honestly not terribly useful as you hit any coffee cup in it with your elbow when shifting. The unseen memory module under the switch panel however is great, from T-Design9, as is the universal phone holder. Raceseng shift ****, easy install and excellent weight. Had the smoker's package but capped it and installed leads directly to the battery for the battery maintainer instead of using the cig lighter.

These are just cool. Up to the individual whether or not worth the cost. Had them PPf'd also to avoid scratches. Also the reason I declined the door sill leather/stitching.

Windschott wind deflector glass. Excellent quality and super easy install. Does a slightly better job than OE deflecting wind and I think looks better as it accentuates the safety bars, and hence the streamliners, by showing them as separate entities.

Silly but cool

Porsche dashcam. Almost $500 plus install at the dealership. Front only. I'm sure there are better and less expensive options out there. Cool to watch the videos on your phone or tablet.

Dashboard trim package. $1400 option adds leather and stitching, also on end caps. Looks better than I thought, pretty sure I wouldn't miss it though if I'd not optioned it.

Look quick when you open the door to get in, maybe after decades of ownership you will be able to say it was worth the $$. This is where I've put my Cargraphic valve controller remote also, I was able to program the garage door buttons on the overhead console successfully but they did not work all the time so this has been a good solution, if a bit of an eyesore.

P1 seat inserts and EdGuardUSA bolster covers. Exceptional quality on both products and easily worth the $$. These have memory foam but no lumbar. The blue in the pepita pattern is pretty much spot on match with Shark Blue. Also here are TPC seat angle brackets. Straight forward install and just provides a better angle for me and my wife.

Other stuff I bought and what I think of them...
- Sound symposer delete- never installed it. Can't tell the difference at all with Sport Exhaust on so why bother.
- Clear side markers- must have, even if you don't care about the orange you'll get ragged on mercilessly if you don't make the switch.
- Rubber floor mats- no-brainer here in CO
- Wireless CarPlay adapter- don't use it, routed a cord when installing the shift **** so I can hard-wire/charge my phone. Also have heard bluetooth degrades audio quality.
- K&N rechargeable engine air filters- maybe a bit more power and sound. Considering the stuff I've seen get into the air intakes already, glad to have something I can clean anytime.
- Weathertech HP interior cover- fit's over the cabin when parked, top down, and I don't want looky-loos or bird sh*t in the car. They don't make one as yet for 718 Spyders but I saw on another thread that some had successfully used and earlier version intended for the 981 Boxster successfully with the 718 Spyder. Attaches to windshield wipers, side-view mirrors, door handles, and has small tabs that fit under rear hatch.

This is my fifth Porsche, first non-911. It is sublime. Best looking, handling, shifting, and (now with the exhaust) sounding car I've ever owned. I put Michelin PS4 All-seasons on it and it even handles well in the cold. The seats are incredible, and I have to say I feel terrible for those who have cars on order now and can't spec them. As for the Burmester, pricey yes but it's really nice to have an OEM system that sounds so good. Shout-out to MaddMike for the recommendations regarding sound-proofing, makes a nice difference. Finally, I wasn't able to spec the PDLS+ but I am in the "couldn't care less" camp regarding that. The PDLS lights it came with are great and I never liked auto-high beams anyway. Plus, if a light goes out you're not out big $$ for an entirely new housing since you can replace a bulb with the PDLS. Looking forward to Spring here for sure. Happy to answer any questions. Happy driving, be safe out there!

Last edited by JDWight; 02-02-2023 at 03:39 AM. Reason: content
The following 13 users liked this post by JDWight:
Aj718Spy (05-03-2023), AlfaQV2019 (04-29-2023), Avera (02-01-2023), DP8 (02-01-2023), dub (02-02-2023), fxmixer (02-01-2023), Growler48 (02-01-2023), GTSPYDER23 (02-01-2023), IRM (02-01-2023), P1Designs (02-01-2023), pinion (02-01-2023), Pyrat2 (02-01-2023), rwm (02-10-2023) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by JDWight
So I picked up this 23 Spyder just after Thanksgiving and have about 1200 miles on it so far. I bought quite a few items for it and thought I'd give a synopsis of them and what I thought about them. Sorry for the length, quite a few pics but I bought a lot of stuff.

Not much to see on this pic but it does show the air intake screens from the Radiator Grille Store. They've already caught some leaves and quite a bit of gravel from the winter roads here so I think well worth the cost and effort to install, though getting the plastic covers off was not easy!

The car is covered in PPF. I ordered it without the Spyder emblem because I knew I'd ppf the whole car. This is the larger version off of the 981 series; the 982 series version is smaller. Also visible here are the Akrapovic exhaust tips which I have attached to a Soul valved exhaust/Soul Resonated OAP. The tips are normally too big at point of attachment for OEM or Soul exhaust but by using some thin aluminum flashing I was able to attach them pretty easily. They are very secure and look awesome.

Mud flaps for the front only. Barely visible and they protect those rear fender flares well. $75 from Tom Lawrowski.

DIY door handles/straps to match the Shark Blue seat belts. Easy DIY videos available on YouTube. Got these from fellow Rennlister but the product is available from Amazon and easy to duplicate. PM for details

Airbag sticker covers. Had these on previous 991.2 Targa and they're a must have to cover those irritating stickers. Available on eBay, very thin and easy to install. They match the black leather perfectly.

T-Design9 cup holder (honestly not terribly useful as you hit any coffee cup in it with your elbow when shifting. The unseen memory module under the switch panel however is great, also from T-Design9, as is the universal phone holder. Raceseng shift ****, easy install and excellent weight. Had the smoker's package but capped it and installed leads directly to the battery for the battery maintainer instead of using the cig lighter.

These are just cool. Up to the individual whether or not worth the cost. Had them PPf'd also to avoid scratches. Also the reason I declined the door sill leather/stitching.

Windschott wind deflector glass. Excellent quality and super easy install. Does a slightly better job than OE deflecting wind and I think looks better as it accentuates the safety bars, and hence the streamliners, by showing them as separate entities.

Silly but cool

Porsche dashcam. Almost $500 plus install at the dealership. Front only. I'm sure there are better and less expensive options out there. Cool to watch the videos on your phone or tablet.

Dashboard trim package. $1400 option adds leather and stitching, also on end caps. Looks better than I thought, pretty sure I wouldn't miss it though if I'd not optioned it.

Look quick when you open the door to get in, maybe after decades of ownership you will be able to say it was worth the $$. This is where I've put my Cargraphic valve controller remote also, I was able to program the garage door buttons on the overhead console successfully but they did not work all the time so this has been a good solution, if a bit of an eyesore.

P1 seat inserts and EdGuardUSA bolster covers. Exceptional quality on both products and easily worth the $$. These have memory foam but no lumbar. The blue in the pepita pattern is pretty much spot on match with Shark Blue. Also here but maybe not pictured are TPC seat angle brackets. Straight forward install and just provides a better angle for me and my wife.

Other stuff I bought and what I think of them...
- Sound symposer delete- never installed it. Can't tell the difference at all with Sport Exhaust on so why bother.
- Clear side markers- must have, even if you don't care about the orange you'll get ragged on mercilessly if you don't make the switch.
- Rubber floor mats- no-brainer here in CO
- Wireless CarPlay adapter- don't use it, routed a cord when installing the shift **** so I can hard-wire/charge my phone. Also have heard bluetooth degrades audio quality.
- K&N rechargeable engine air filters- maybe a bit more power and sound. Considering the stuff I've seen get into the air intakes already, glad to have something I can clean anytime.
- Weathertech HP interior cover- fit's over the cabin when parked, top down, and I don't want looky-loos or bird sh*t in the car. They don't make one as yet for 718 Spyders but I saw on another thread that some had successfully used and earlier version intended for the 981 Boxster successfully with the 718 Spyder. Attaches to windshield wipers, side-view mirrors, door handles, and has small tabs that fit under rear hatch.

This is my fifth Porsche, first non-911. It is sublime. Best looking, handling, shifting, and (now with the exhaust) sounding car I've ever owned. I put Michelin PS4 All-seasons on it and it even handles well in the cold. The seats are incredible, and I have to say I feel terrible for those who have cars on order now and can't spec them. As for the Burmester, pricey yes but it's really nice to have an OEM system that sounds so good. Shout-out to MaddMike for the recommendations regarding sound-proofing, makes a nice difference. Finally, I wasn't able to spec the PDLS+ but I am in the "couldn't care less" camp regarding that. The PDLS lights it came with are great and I never liked auto-high beams anyway. Plus, if a light goes out you're not out big $$ for an entirely new housing since you can replace a bulb with the PDLS. Looking forward to Spring here for sure. Happy to answer any questions. Happy driving, be safe out there!
Very nice, my twin in lots of areas, down to the shift ****, bolster protectors, and seat inserts. I have a lot of the same tweaks and a couple different ones so we aren't totally twinsing and thankfully you live half-way across the country so no chance of us showing up at the same event. I do need to look into the intake covers. I love the extended leather dash, PCCBs, LWB, and Burmester but I skimped on the leather sun visors and carbon inlays. I did go full Kline inconel exhaust and PDLS+ so it all washes.

I'm glad that you got the door pulls and insulated the doors. Really a no-brainer for ~$65. DSC controller is next for me.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 02-01-2023 at 10:56 AM.
P1Designs (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:58 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JDWight
Shout-out to MaddMike for the recommendations regarding sound-proofing, makes a nice difference.
Details on the sound proofing?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Do you have a contact for Tom Lawrowski in regards to the mudflaps?

UPDATE: I think I found him:

Last edited by Bob Z.; 02-01-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:15 PM
JDWight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Very nice, my twin in lots of areas, down to the shift ****, bolster protectors, and seat inserts. I have a lot of the same tweaks and a couple different ones so we aren't totally twinsing and thankfully you live half-way across the country so no chance of us showing up at the same event. I do need to look into the intake covers. I love the extended leather dash, PCCBs, LWB, and Burmester but I skimped on the leather sun visors and carbon inlays. I did go full Kline inconel exhaust and PDLS+ so it all washes.

I'm glad that you got the door pulls and insulated the doors. Really a no-brainer for ~$65. DSC controller is next for me.
We'll all be anxious to hear your impressions of the DSC controller. Holding off myself until I hear something really positive from someone else who hasn't altered their suspension at all because I'm not willing to do that right now. The Kline inconel might be in my future also but need to hear it in person from inside the car.
MaddMike (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:16 PM
JDWight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Do you have a contact for Tom Lawrowski in regards to the mudflaps?

UPDATE: I think I found him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAm...l=TommyLGarage
That's him

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today?