Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 02:30 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Awesome! What about 3-4k? Are you running with exhaust valves open? Any other mods you have, such as GPF-delete and exhaust? Thanks.
Edited my original comment (see above), but Akra OAP and valves open with a valve controller.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:42 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
Edited my original comment (see above), but Akra OAP and valves open with a valve controller.
Thanks. You were specific about 2-3k being drone-free. How do you feel in 3-4k, with valves open, in different gears?
Old 07-08-2021, 11:59 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_rider
Thanks. You were specific about 2-3k being drone-free. How do you feel in 3-4k, with valves open, in different gears?
I commented on the 2-3k bc that's where most people have been noticing drone, which also overlaps with highway cruising speeds. That said, although I don't usually find myself keeping the revs in the low 3k range (it's usually cruising speeds or redline, haha), I didn't notice any the few times I kept it there for a bit.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:02 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

After following this thread it seems that a lot of this is not necessary - can I assume I can just plug the hole on the exit tube into the cockpit on the passenger's side?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Goodwood (07-09-2021), sonicworld (09-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
After following this thread it seems that a lot of this is not necessary - can I assume I can just plug the hole on the exit tube into the cockpit on the passenger's side?
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:06 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

.............. That said, although I don't usually find myself keeping the revs in the low 3k range (it's usually cruising speeds or redline, haha), I didn't notice any the few times I kept it there for a bit.
Sounds (pun unintended!) good; thanks.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:13 AM
LDubz735
Advanced

TBH, there's no harm in trying, and if you find it insufficient, then open up the engine bay and plug everything up.

Different people have different setups and level of tolerances. The original customer Soul worked with seemed to have very low tolerance for drone/boom with only an OAP. I had to get into the engine bay anyway to install the valve controller so I figured I might as well plug everything up.
The following users liked this post:
Paulywanacracker (09-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:18 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I thought I read that disconnecting the vacuum line leaves the valve closed, which effectively "plugs" up the unit also, no?
Old 07-09-2021, 02:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,772 Likes on 2,766 Posts

TBH, there's no harm in trying, and if you find it insufficient, then open up the engine bay and plug everything up.

Different people have different setups and level of tolerances. The original customer Soul worked with seemed to have very low tolerance for drone/boom with only an OAP. I had to get into the engine bay anyway to install the valve controller so I figured I might as well plug everything up.
Any effort on my part is to achieve maximum reduction/elimination of drone so the tube comes out and the openings get plugged. From my perspective anything else is not worth the effort.

Oh, and for me, getting to the engine is easier than pulling apart the interior and possibly breaking clips there...
Paulywanacracker (09-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 12:23 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
I unplugged the vacuum line to the symposer with Soul's Resonated Race Exhaust - it went from nearly unbearable drone and booming in the 2000-2800rpm range to a pretty livable loudness in the 2200-2600rpm range.
Probably close to 50% reduction just unplugging the line.
Are there basic instructions for removing these lines? How long did it take?
Goodwood (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 04:54 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Seems like shoving some sound deadening material into the tube from pax compartment followed with a noise canceling foam foam (like a compressible ear plug) would achieve a majority of the effect.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:04 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Seems like shoving some sound deadening material into the tube from pax compartment followed with a noise canceling foam foam (like a compressible ear plug) would achieve a majority of the effect.
Perhaps plugging the tube with some cork and then sealing it with silicone gel? Seems that would create a great sound stopper.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:08 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Perhaps plugging the tube with some cork and then sealing it with silicone gel? Seems that would create a great sound stopper.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:24 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 688 Posts

OMG. Well I can hardly believe it! This mod really works to cut down the resonance/boom/drone and overall interior negative sounds. I have the Cargraphic Valve Controller, Kline Inconel OAP and rear on my GT4 w/PDK. I did not think the car was much louder with the Kline vs the OEM exhaust, but the car is 'loud' inside no matter what - my issue with stock was the quality of the sound along the rev range and especially above 6,000 rpm. So much so that I would drive with the windows down to not have so much interior noise and, on occasion, I would take to putting in ear plugs! Now with the entire sound symposer pulled out and the fire wall hole plugged with 80 mm Dynamat the interior is much quieter over all. The drone ranges still exist but as others have said, the 'noise' is cut in half (about like having the ear plugs in!). I have to drive a bit more to see if at higher revs the car still satisfies. I think though overall its an improvement in livability, especially since wife's (and to a lesser extent mine) major complaint was the drone/loud interior. Ill update in a bit after a longer test run. I used a regular 1" drain plug and the methods of removal described above. Big thanks to John @Soul Performance and everyone else who commented on this mod - I think well worth it if your are sensitive to the interior sounds of this car.

PS. One other note... I did use some of the extra Dynamat to cover the both the engine cover and the firewall behind the seats since I was there anyway. I did this to maximize my returns on taking the car apart again (3rd time!). I dont know how much this helped with noise cancellation but probably some....
PSS. Yes I recognize the contradictions here perhaps to some extent of going to an after market exhaust and then quieting the interior... but its really about sound quality and when the sound is heard along the rev range. I think if John and his crew are exploring this with their mission being towards performance, then I think its safe to say we are in good company!

Last edited by dnimi123; 07-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dnimi123:
Goodwood (07-10-2021), Mainiac (07-10-2021), Soul Performance (07-16-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 08:25 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
PSS. Yes I recognize the contradictions here perhaps to some of going to an after market exhaust and then quieting the interior... but its really about sound quality and when the sound is heard along the rev range. I think if John and his crew are exploring this with their mission being towards performance, then I think its safe to say we are in good company!
Not contradictory at all. The ultimate goal is to have the right sounds at the right places!

This sound pipe an example of when "over-engineering" for no good reason happens. Good thing there is a relatively simple solution for it.

Quick Reply: SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete