Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 12:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog
ha, I haven’t already?!!
yeah if I can find enough time I might try a few things just to see the effects. I have some friends in acoustics, might run it past them too.
See below...

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Dont waste your time... just yank the whole thing out!
+1

It's gone and completely forgotten, don't miss it a bit!
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:19 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah, that seems like the likely path !
Old 08-31-2021, 09:01 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
this hole does, in my mind correct the install of CG controller. Only in that you may not have to run wires under the engine cover seal. Just not a fan of that and why I went with the soul unit. Though ultimately I’m still not using that either, just going with softronic tune and will gain full control via the factory PSE button!
Doesn't the hole for the Sound Symposer go from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment, whereas the wires from the Cargraphic Controller go from the engine compartment into the rear trunk area? I don't have the Cargraphic controller yet so I'm just asking.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
Doesn't the hole for the Sound Symposer go from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment, whereas the wires from the Cargraphic Controller go from the engine compartment into the rear trunk area? I don't have the Cargraphic controller yet so I'm just asking.
Not sure of your question here, the CG controller connects into the system via a factory connector, then you need to find a home for it, most put it into the rear trunk area as it is already accessible and open when you do the actual install.

If at the same time you are pulling out the Sound Symposer you could feed the CG controller wires through the firewall hole and have the controller box in the passenger compartment behind the seats. With this method you would need to fashion a seal to close the symposer hole around the wires. I mounted mine in the rear trunk, no issues what so ever.

Just to note this is the 2-mode controller not the 3-mode that requires external power.

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-01-2021 at 11:54 AM.
nothingman (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Spyderblack
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderblack
Hello,

What is the size of the hole between the engine area and the driving cabin? 1’’?
My goal would be to install a flat rubber lip gasket to pass the Cargraphic controller valve antenna through.
Thanks.
Finally, I have closed the Symposer with a cap, installed the CG Controler in the engine compartment.

HooosierDaddy (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Finally, I have closed the Symposer with a cap, installed the CG Controler in the engine compartment.
How do you find the range of the remote control works with the controller antenna closed into the engine compartment?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:39 PM
Spyderblack
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
How do you find the range of the remote control works with the controller antenna closed into the engine compartment?
The controller antenna is just behind my seat, still in the engine compartment. So very short distance with the remote, it works fine.

Last edited by Spyderblack; 09-01-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:38 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Where did you find the Cap. I settled for Dynamat because I couldn't locate a cap. Both work great I'm sure, but the cap sure would have been cheaper and easier.

EDIT: just realized you are in France, guess the source wouldn't help us in NA much

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 09-01-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Well, although not what I would call dramatic the reduction in drone is noticeable... I removed the entire symposer tube and vacuum valve assemblies, plugging both the firewall opening and the chamber at the intake with 1" expansion plugs, my config is with Akra OAP's and JCR silenced Rear sections.

What I note is that any sound that was coming from the symposer is of course now gone, but sound coming into the cabin through chassis resonance remains. I feel that the effort and cost make it a worthwhile exercise but don't expect it to eliminate drone, at least in my opinion if your exhaust configuration drones then it will continue to do so but the symposer will not amplify its effect in the cabin. During top-up drives the cabin drone was better and you could easily tell it was reduced, but lug the engine in a high gear between 2000-2600 RPM and it will drone. What was easier to determine was the frequency change between valves open (higher) and valves closed (lower), but I would say the volume was similar in either setting.

Comparatively a buddy with a GT4 and completely OEM exhaust system felt it was a game changer, what was before tiring and unbearable while cruising was nearly cured by this mod, he said he could have a normal conversation in the car where as before it was not possible.

So at this point your results may vary depending on GT4 versus Spyder (top up/down) and if you exhaust is stock or modified.
I have tried the setup of Akra OAP with JCR silenced race pipe and the drone was really too much. Found myself modulating the throttle to avoid it rather than drive the car as I please. I went back to stock OAP with the PF's with the JCR silenced race pipe and it massively improved the unbearable drone. I am yet to delete the symposer, but reading your comment I thought to share the experience with you to give it a try if you haven't yet.
Worth noting that the high RPM scenario of Akra OAP and JCR is really really good. But the low rpm drone makes reasonable city driving a challenge (to me).
Old 09-04-2021, 08:00 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmet
I have tried the setup of Akra OAP with JCR silenced race pipe and the drone was really too much. Found myself modulating the throttle to avoid it rather than drive the car as I please. I went back to stock OAP with the PF's with the JCR silenced race pipe and it massively improved the unbearable drone. I am yet to delete the symposer, but reading your comment I thought to share the experience with you to give it a try if you haven't yet.
Worth noting that the high RPM scenario of Akra OAP and JCR is really really good. But the low rpm drone makes reasonable city driving a challenge (to me).
Does this mean you have a slightly used set of Akra pipes for sale? Dibbs!
Old 09-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I took out the sound symposer, my comments are in the post you quoted. I also agree about how good the JCR and Akra OAP sound above 4K RPM, recently at a GT Car event at our local track, I received a number of compliments on the exhaust sound, they said the best of all the cars there and that included GT3 and GT3 RS as well!
UncleDude (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 08:47 PM
mprog
Racer

Given the above posts, and since I haven’t taken the symposer out yet, I’m wondering if anyone with a JCR exhaust (that’s it) has had significant positive results removing it ?

jCR exhausts have a beefy mounting plate for the assembly, just wondering if that makes the low RPM drone / resonance harder to reduce…

hoping to do this in the next week….
Old 09-05-2021, 10:07 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog
Given the above posts, and since I haven’t taken the symposer out yet, I’m wondering if anyone with a JCR exhaust (that’s it) has had significant positive results removing it ?

jCR exhausts have a beefy mounting plate for the assembly, just wondering if that makes the low RPM drone / resonance harder to reduce…

hoping to do this in the next week….
Now that you mention that plate (a seperate plate with the jcr logo on it iirc), the installer couldn't find out figure out where that plate would fit, so left it aside and installed it without. Anyone knows where that plate should fit?

Mine has the resonance/drone at 2000 rpm without that relatively thick plate installed.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now that you mention that plate (a seperate plate with the jcr logo on it iirc), the installer couldn't find out figure out where that plate would fit, so left it aside and installed it without. Anyone knows where that plate should fit?

Mine has the resonance/drone at 2000 rpm without that relatively thick plate installed.
Very interesting that the installer couldn't find a home for it , IMHO it is a crucial part of the overall mount, otherwise the rear section is floating and only attached to the OAP's, not a good plan as it is essentially able to pull up/down on all of the welds and joints all of the way back to the headers mounted to the engine.

Does this picture help?, I have more...

mprog (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:22 PM
mprog
Racer

Email Jonny because I seem to recall there were 2 versions of the Mount, meant to track different versions of the car’s hardware.

Quick Reply: SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete