Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 04:17 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Finally here. 15 months from deposit, MSRP.
Surprisingly it came with Dunlops.
Nice snowy day for a convertible...Name:  photo782.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  1.77 MB
Name:  photo805.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  1.60 MBName:  photo906.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.60 MBName:  photo165.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  1.49 MBName:  photo760.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  1.34 MBName:  photo42.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.47 MBName:  photo331.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  1.34 MB

Last edited by John Mclane; 11-19-2022 at 09:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by John Mclane:
JBM718GTS (11-19-2022), l30thelion (11-21-2022), UncleDude (11-19-2022), Xxyion (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 12:58 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,264 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I'm properly jealous of you all with pictures and cars on boats! I'm still waiting for my TYD initial email ... patience patience I know. The car would be sitting in winter storage here anyways right now so it's actually a good time of year to be waiting.
the worst part of the wait imo is both right at the start and when the car gets on a boat. The beginning you're just dreading having to wait so much and you just want the car here and now. When its on the boat, you know its so close but theres still just a few more weeks left before pickup. I'll tell you right now, i thought i'd eventually just forget about the car and then be surprised when it got here...but that never happened. Ive been obsessed with tracking its every move since i first got the allocation back in May.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:19 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Nice snowy day for a convertible...Attachment 1332482
Attachment 1332481Attachment 1332488Attachment 1332486Attachment 1332485Attachment 1332484Attachment 1332487
wow. 15 months. I’ll be less than half but with a 15k ADM. I’d rather me you honestly. The ADM stuff sucks.

interestingly, I’m the exact same build as you besides the stitching. These Syders are automotive works of art….

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 11-20-2022 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:19 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
wow. 15 months. I’ll be less than half but with a 15k ADM. I’d rather me you honestly. The ADM stuff sucks.

interestingly, I’m the exact same build as you besides the stitching. These Syders are automotive works of art….
I wasn't in a rush as I had my 992 cab (which failed 6 months ago, different story). Markup is something I haven't made race with, maybe for a newer car.
I went with some red inside as the black brushed aluminum leaves the cabin too dark. Red seatbelts as well.
Interestingly there's a button for rear window defrost still there. Must come in a bundle with the adjacent switches..that's more frustrating than a blank space.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Nice snowy day for a convertible...

First off, congratulations on the fine-looking car!

Why surprised about the Dunlop's? It is a comparable tire and a random chance between them or Michelins...

Besides in that weather, you will want something else to drive, performance track style tires have no business being out in those conditions.

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-20-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:16 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
First off, congratulations on the fine-looking car!

Why surprised about the Dunlop's? It is a comparable tire and a random chance between them or Michelins...

Besides in that weather, you will want something else to drive, performance track style tires have no business being out in those conditions.
Surprise bc most of the GT cars come with Cup2s. I'm curious to see how this tire manages heat and how many sessions I can get from it. Some say they are similar but last a little longer. I'm all for that.

I have a set of alpins that I may mount so I can break in the car before spring.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Surprise bc most of the GT cars come with Cup2s. I'm curious to see how this tire manages heat and how many sessions I can get from it. Some say they are similar but last a little longer. I'm all for that.

I have a set of alpins that I may mount so I can break in the car before spring.
Ahhh, I see, I have Dunlops and they have been great at the track, of course they are tucked away staying warm until next year.

My Spyder is on the road all year, right now riding on Bridgestone RE980AS , in fact I will be heading out in a few minutes for a drive, it's 32F here right now, but dry and sunny, I can’t pass up the opportunity to get out!
Old 11-20-2022, 04:31 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by siktor
I have them on my car. Doing a 1400mi road trip immediately after taking delivery so hopefully I can get used to the noise!
After more research, the PZ4s may be ok after all.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:19 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Nothing like a PCA HPDE day to help option your car. Chalk is greyer than I thought, and while I'd prefer it were a hair lighter it still looks great. Interestingly I think GT3s carry chalk better than 718s but this is still my favorite standard color. Shark blue looks pretty good and is not offensive at all in person--this color photographs very poorly imo, probably over-saturating on a lot of peoples' cameras (still not for me). Yellow stitching/belts/etc. is not overkill on chalk, however silver stitching also did not look as drab as I expected in person, so I'm still waffling between loud yellow and subtle silver with red accents. Brushed aluminum trim looks good in person, however I only saw this on GT3s which have a much thinner trim than 718s. I was shocked how comfortable carbon buckets are, relieved they weren't to narrow for my shoulders, and surprised how snug they are around the hips--and I have narrow hips.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:54 PM
siktor
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
Nothing like a PCA HPDE day to help option your car. Chalk is greyer than I thought, and while I'd prefer it were a hair lighter it still looks great. Interestingly I think GT3s carry chalk better than 718s but this is still my favorite standard color. Shark blue looks pretty good and is not offensive at all in person--this color photographs very poorly imo, probably over-saturating on a lot of peoples' cameras (still not for me). Yellow stitching/belts/etc. is not overkill on chalk, however silver stitching also did not look as drab as I expected in person, so I'm still waffling between loud yellow and subtle silver with red accents. Brushed aluminum trim looks good in person, however I only saw this on GT3s which have a much thinner trim than 718s. I was shocked how comfortable carbon buckets are, relieved they weren't to narrow for my shoulders, and surprised how snug they are around the hips--and I have narrow hips.
​​​​​​Chalk is a really nice color on the 718, up there with GT Silver as the best grayscale color you can get without PTS. I'd go yellow just because red seems to be the default "performance car" accent color, but that's just me!
Old 11-21-2022, 04:12 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
As much as people whine and complain about LWB’s, I took my old GT3 on an 8 hour trip and was the most comfortable trip in any car with LWB’s because my back was actually supported and I didn’t slouch or sink into my seat. It was a no brainer option for my GT4 order.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:20 PM
siktor
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSubRosa
As much as people whine and complain about LWB’s, I took my old GT3 on an 8 hour trip and was the most comfortable trip in any car with LWB’s because my back was actually supported and I didn’t slouch or sink into my seat. It was a no brainer option for my GT4 order.
This is really nice to hear. Drove my A4 14 hours one way, driving my GTS with LWBS the same route back and was worried about the long term comfort.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:36 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

The only issue with the carbon fiber bucket seats is getting into and out of the seat can be annoying -- once you're in they are reasonably comfortable. Unless you are going to do a lot of track driving at your top speed the sport seat plus is the better choice. In terms of color, I personally prefer fun colors on sports cars and subdued colors on Luxury sedans and SUV's. Chalk looks like primer prior to spraying the car with the final color. I know many people love the chalk or they think they should because so many other guys have said they like the color. I prefer WHITE if that is the direction-- make a commitment. Shark blue is a really nice color -- probably the best Porsche blue except for sapphire blue which Porsche has removed from even the PTS color list except for the SUV's and Panamera. Shark blue does not photograph well at all. My favorite color for a 911 is Signal Orange from back in the early 1970's which pops up on Porsche advertisements and company images now and then but it never offered as a PTS color unfortunately. My 911T 1970 Targa did "fade" over time so perhaps that is the reason it is never available.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:59 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

I found them easier to get out of than I expected but wouldn't want to daily in them... One of the GT3 owners had driven in his buckets clear across the country and said they were great. He was probably 5'10". Another ~6'6"+ owner also loved them, although he had to take the pads out for best seating position when tracking the car. Surprisingly neither felt the risers were needed.
The following users liked this post:
siktor (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 05:19 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
The only issue with the carbon fiber bucket seats is getting into and out of the seat can be annoying -- once you're in they are reasonably comfortable. Unless you are going to do a lot of track driving at your top speed the sport seat plus is the better choice. In terms of color, I personally prefer fun colors on sports cars and subdued colors on Luxury sedans and SUV's. Chalk looks like primer prior to spraying the car with the final color. I know many people love the chalk or they think they should because so many other guys have said they like the color. I prefer WHITE if that is the direction-- make a commitment. Shark blue is a really nice color -- probably the best Porsche blue except for sapphire blue which Porsche has removed from even the PTS color list except for the SUV's and Panamera. Shark blue does not photograph well at all. My favorite color for a 911 is Signal Orange from back in the early 1970's which pops up on Porsche advertisements and company images now and then but it never offered as a PTS color unfortunately. My 911T 1970 Targa did "fade" over time so perhaps that is the reason it is never available.
I don't think the sport seat is the better choice if it's a GT car. The Spyder I can see but any GT car with Sofa's in it I just feel like a waste. If you want comfort that much don't buy a GT car.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...