Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 09:18 AM
MarcusZ
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Regrets

Has anyone regretted getting Shark Blue? I'm debating between Shark Blue and Guards Red and have not yet seen Shark Blue in person.

In pictures it looks a little flat to me. I'm thinking of blue with silver wheels as an homage to the E36 M3. I just got a build slot that locks October 11th, heading to the Atlanta PEC next weekend and hope to see one there!

Old 10-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusZ
Has anyone regretted getting Shark Blue? I'm debating between Shark Blue and Guards Red and have not yet seen Shark Blue in person.

In pictures it looks a little flat to me. I'm thinking of blue with silver wheels as an homage to the E36 M3. I just got a build slot that locks October 11th, heading to the Atlanta PEC next weekend and hope to see one there!
No. In fact the opposite. I was regretting it after I solidified my build. Now I can't imagine it any other color. Love Shark Blue. Glad I took the "risk".

As far as GR is concerned, it has to be my least favorite color on the palette. GR gets old quick. Poor contrast with brake calipers (albeit, can paint black) and tail lights. Carmine Red substantially better looking IMO. If you're set on red.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:21 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Absolutely not. And it is far from “flat”!!! I will say this….whenever I go to events everyone is blown away by the color. I even had a guy yesterday that had a white Spyder walk up and say something like, “It is amazing what color will do to a car. Your car looks like the proper GT car that it is. My car just looks….classy.”. So if you want “classy” go with another color. If you want aggressive, go with SB. My buddy has a Guards Red Spyder. It is most certainly nice. But I would take SB any day…all day….ever day!!!

Old 10-02-2022, 07:11 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

I ordered mine without ever seeing one in person. I was particularly worried when I found a VW in sunflower blue because it didn't look good. But when my SB CGTS showed up, and every day since, I knew it was the right choice. And yes, it gets A LOT if attention everywhere.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:12 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

... homage to the E36 M3!

Sweet car!
Old 10-02-2022, 08:13 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

In pictures it looks a little flat to me. I'm thinking of blue with silver wheels as an homage to the E36 M3.
No regrets whatsoever. I ordered my car without having seen one in real life. SB with silver wheels. If you are interested I could send you a bunch of photos of how the car looks under different lighting conditions.

T
Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

I was between silver in a classic interior, GB, chalk, and shark.

Silver and classic I like but my 981 Spyder was that so I wanted to change it up.
Chalk, I briefly considered as a more interesting white but Kia's over use of the color and bring afraid I will bore of it steered me away.
GB was a close second as I love a good dark blue. After seeing it on a few cars, I decided it was a more serious color and worked better for a fixed top or large sedan. Beautiful color but I thought it took away from the playfulness of the Spyder.
I had a SB with silver wheels on order till I saw one at the dealer in the sun and thought the silver wheels make it all to bright. I then changed my wheels to platinum and blacked out the Porsche logo.

I wouldn't change a thing on my build.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike

Oh MAN do I love those seat inserts! I see SB seat belts. Is the rest of the interior black? I love it! More pics please. (links to them is fine if you posted them here already).

TIA,

Old 10-03-2022, 10:48 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Oh MAN do I love those seat inserts! I see SB seat belts. Is the rest of the interior black? I love it! More pics please. (links to them is fine if you posted them here already).

TIA,
I did black leather inserts, speed blue stitching, and extended leather dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
AdamIsAdam (10-03-2022), Lucifer (11-30-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 02:04 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

I will say when I picked up my SB Spyder, there was a Gentian Blue 992 GT3 right next to it with sliver wheels and red calipers. What car do you think the passers by were gathered around. The GB GT3 looked almost….uuhhh….unremarkable sitting next to my car.

And the VW color was Cornflower and not Sunflower. And you are right. It looks way out of place on VWs. In the end, the Spyder is a beautiful car and pretty much any color looks good on it. I have only seen one spec I didn’t like. It was PTS Meissen Blue with classic red interior. Red top. Aurum wheels. And yellow PCCB calipers. My salesman sold it and he said there were a lot of “are you sure” conversations during the spec’ing process.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:32 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
It looks way out of place on VWs.
It looks pretty good on a GTI with black wheels. There is one in my neighborhood. OTOH, I saw SB on a Q5 and it looked quite bad.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:53 PM
MarcusZ
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Is anyone in the Atlanta or San Francisco Bay Area regions with Shark Blue willing to show me their car? I would love to see the color in person before my GT4 order locks!
Old 10-05-2022, 10:40 AM
Notans
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No regrets here. I was driving my plain Ol' SB Boxster in Manhattan the other day and someone asked if was a Lamborghini.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
It might be time to add SB door pulls as well
Old 10-06-2022, 05:08 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,024 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennyson
It looks pretty good on a GTI with black wheels. There is one in my neighborhood. OTOH, I saw SB on a Q5 and it looked quite bad.
I agree. I think it looks great on a GTI. Bright colors tend to look quite good on smaller cars. It gets awkward when it gets to Macan sizes for sure.

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread