Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 01:53 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
RE: sun glare: you would likely need to get leather to avoid it. Carbon fiber is shiny too as I recall.
I have the carbon fiber option on my Spyder and I've never had a problem with glare from the carbon fiber bits and pieces. ...and yes, the carbon fiber has a gloss coating. It's not matte.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I have the carbon fiber option on my Spyder and I've never had a problem with glare from the carbon fiber bits and pieces. ...and yes, the carbon fiber has a gloss coating. It's not matte.
+1 for CF trim and not a single issue with the gloss finish reflecting light. Plus, as it has a gloss finish a slight scratch can likely be buffed out.
Dan Nagy (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:10 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
It is an obsessive process. I love CCBs. I had them on the Alfa I just sold and they were amazing. So, while painting is an option and changing out the pads for something with less dust, I would rather just go with CCBs (or PCCBs in this case).

I think the yellow calipers look good against the paint. However, you don't have to stare at them all day when you are driving. Yellow is not my favorite color and I don't think I own anything yellow so my fear is getting tired of looking at that color in the interior. The blue is more attractive to me but once you add all the blue options the price adds up and you start questioning yourself if it is worth it over the silver, which also looks good especially with the silver trim.

Right now I'm obsessing over buckets or 18-ways. My car is a kind of DD even though I don't drive it every day. I do plan on commuting with it a couple times a week (if we get back to commuting one day). I love the way the buckets look but am not sure if I will tire of the impracticality. I would go 18-ways with heat and leather back which comes to only $1000 less than buckets. I think I have flip-flopped back a forth on the seats 10-12 times by now. The used to be the must have option but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I am always thinking about eventual resale as if I really like a car I keep it for four years or so. I'm wondering if the buckets are a desirable option on the secondary market or if there is a larger market of older buyers who want comfort and heat...

I'm leaning towards buckets.
From what I have read about your decision between LWBS and 18 ways, it seems you're only considering the LWBS for the future resale value and ease of sale. As everybody always says, you really should buy and spec the car to your liking and not worry about the next guy because if your plan is live with this car for say 4 years, that's a lot of time to really regret getting the buckets if they end up being uncomfortable for you and your wife. Having said that I will highly encourage you to sit in them and if possible go for an extended drive in them. I'm 6' and about 235lbs and getting into them is not the easiest thing. I will say that once I was in them, they were comfortable except around my shoulders because I have broad shoulders but even when I did my PECLA delivery drive, I got a car with the LWBS, I didn't have any issues with them driving around the track for an hour straight. When my wife and I went to try them out, my wife said she didn't like them and said if she was wearing a skirt while going out to dinner, there is no way for her to get in and out without flashing everybody so she said no go. 18 ways have been perfect for me and my use.

I will say that I think people think the LWBS have better resale because it seems everybody is thinking the person buying the car wants to have the LWBS because these are the same ones from the 918 or whatever model they got it from and how could anyone want the 2 way or 18 way when you can get the LWBS. Kind of like the 6MT vs PDK debate. I'd say to keep in mind that if and when you do go to sell, there will always be a buyer for your spec. They may find your car within one day of listing or they may find your car within 3 months of listing but one man's junk is always someone else's treasure. The other side of the story is just as you think you may get a quicker and higher value sale, if for example I was shopping and came across your car with the LWBS, I'd pass because I don't want the LWBS so for the one person that wants them, there's another person that doesn't want them. Seriously, build the car to your liking and so it fits your life so that you'll want to get out and use it. Don't spec the car with LWBS thinking it'll will get you better resale value and then while you own it, you find it to be so uncomfortable that you regret getting the LWBS and then never drive it. Don't waste your allocation for the next guy.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
flynlo (01-26-2022), fman15 (01-27-2022), MaddMike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:28 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,041 Likes on 1,750 Posts

/\
|
Exactly. Some people will only buy the car (insert option, be it LWBS or manual/PDK) so your car will either fit or not fit their check list. No right answer here.

How about thinking of it this way: if you are so on the fence about it, so may others be in the future. Get what you think you will actually enjoy the most. If you are uncomfortable or your spouse/SO is, well, that makes the car less usable. If it's less usable/enjoyable, that resale value factor may be coming up on you sooner than you would like! lol

(PS I've watched this debate on the GT350 forums about Recaro's vs comfort seats for years. Personally, I would not buy the car without Recaro's. Jay Leno bought his with Recaro's... then ordered the comfort seats and put the recaro's in storage. But he's Jay Leno. )

MaddMike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 04:36 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,848 Likes on 897 Posts

From what I have read about your decision between LWBS and 18 ways, it seems you're only considering the LWBS for the future resale value and ease of sale. As everybody always says, you really should buy and spec the car to your liking and not worry about the next guy because if your plan is live with this car for say 4 years, that's a lot of time to really regret getting the buckets if they end up being uncomfortable for you and your wife. Having said that I will highly encourage you to sit in them and if possible go for an extended drive in them. I'm 6' and about 235lbs and getting into them is not the easiest thing. I will say that once I was in them, they were comfortable except around my shoulders because I have broad shoulders but even when I did my PECLA delivery drive, I got a car with the LWBS, I didn't have any issues with them driving around the track for an hour straight. When my wife and I went to try them out, my wife said she didn't like them and said if she was wearing a skirt while going out to dinner, there is no way for her to get in and out without flashing everybody so she said no go. 18 ways have been perfect for me and my use.

I will say that I think people think the LWBS have better resale because it seems everybody is thinking the person buying the car wants to have the LWBS because these are the same ones from the 918 or whatever model they got it from and how could anyone want the 2 way or 18 way when you can get the LWBS. Kind of like the 6MT vs PDK debate. I'd say to keep in mind that if and when you do go to sell, there will always be a buyer for your spec. They may find your car within one day of listing or they may find your car within 3 months of listing but one man's junk is always someone else's treasure. The other side of the story is just as you think you may get a quicker and higher value sale, if for example I was shopping and came across your car with the LWBS, I'd pass because I don't want the LWBS so for the one person that wants them, there's another person that doesn't want them. Seriously, build the car to your liking and so it fits your life so that you'll want to get out and use it. Don't spec the car with LWBS thinking it'll will get you better resale value and then while you own it, you find it to be so uncomfortable that you regret getting the LWBS and then never drive it. Don't waste your allocation for the next guy.
I'm not sure why you got that as my primary reason. My primary reason is that my last car had buckets and CCBs and those two options ended up being my favorite options on my car (that and the 500+HP engine). If I talk about resale, that is just string of consciousness talking weighing all the options or using it to justify the expense. I also said it may be harder to sell with buckets as some older buyers will walk away.

I can currently out drive my 18-way seats on the back roads around me. My biggest concern is ingress and egress with the top up. Everything else is just additional noise in my head.

My wife is not a fan of my current Spyder, has never ridden in it and may never ride in it. She also is not a mini-skirt type of person. My four going on five year old is a different story.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-26-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:01 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure why you got that as my primary reason. My primary reason is that my last car had buckets and CCBs and those two options ended up being my favorite options on my car (that and the 500+HP engine). If I talk about resale, that is just string of consciousness talking weighing all the options or using it to justify the expense. I also said it may be harder to sell with buckets as some older buyers will walk away.

I can currently out drive my 18-way seats on the back roads around me. My biggest concern is ingress and egress with the top up. Everything else is just additional noise in my head.

My wife is not a fan of my current Spyder, has never ridden in it and may never ride in it. She also is not a mini-skirt type of person. My four going on five year old is a different story.
Please don't take my response as derogatory or anything like that. That's just what I gleamed from your write up and maybe I didn't read it as thoroughly but I guess this quote is what had me thinking you're more worried about the resale than the comfort of them or past experience; "I am always thinking about eventual resale as if I really like a car I keep it for four years or so."

It's all good with talking out loud and RL is a good jumping point for feedback on your questions, comments and concerns on your build. Just wanted to offer my take on buying things for the next person.

Now if you truly want to buy something for the next person, hint hint me, please buy a GT4 RS in Shark Blue with Deep Sea Blue stitching and Indigo Blue wheels. Keep it in your garage and limit the mileage to 500 miles per year and I'll look for you in a couple of years.

Dan Nagy (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 05:12 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Please don't take my response as derogatory or anything like that. That's just what I gleamed from your write up and maybe I didn't read it as thoroughly but I guess this quote is what had me thinking you're more worried about the resale than the comfort of them or past experience; "I am always thinking about eventual resale as if I really like a car I keep it for four years or so."

It's all good with talking out loud and RL is a good jumping point for feedback on your questions, comments and concerns on your build. Just wanted to offer my take on buying things for the next person.

Now if you truly want to buy something for the next person, hint hint me, please buy a GT4 RS in Shark Blue with Deep Sea Blue stitching and Indigo Blue wheels. Keep it in your garage and limit the mileage to 500 miles per year and I'll look for you in a couple of years.

I do appreciate the feedback. Always good to hear from 718 veterans as I am just building a car in my head until it locks. After that, I have to live with it.

I'll get right on ordering that as soon as my car budget doubles or triples.

That may be an interesting business: buy a car with a second owner lined up to buy it in X number of years for X price. The second owner puts a deposit in escrow and assuming the first owner doesn't abuse or crash the car, they then buy it at the designated time for the pre-determined amount. If they decide to walk for personal reasons or because the market tanked, the original owner keeps the deposit. May be a bit complex but once you get the boiler plate down it could work. Almost like having a car on layaway but you get to buy it post initial depreciation.

Another crazy I idea (back to my build) is if I hate the buckets for DD activities, it is probably four bolts to swap out the seats. Pick up an inexpensive set of two-ways for DD activities, headed to the Dragon or to a track event, swap in the buckets.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-27-2022 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:27 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

So, I have taken to surveys on Facebook in the Global Spyder group for some key features. Sounds silly but there is value to crowd sourcing and everyone has their opinion and why they believe it is right. I was actually building a GB or Silver car when someone suggested Shark Blue which was a color I had not considered (although I had considered chalk). I looked through this entire thread and decided I liked Shark.

By the way, the current vote is 44 to 28 for buckets. The reasons given are pretty solid and I think that has swayed me. I'm sure they are an easy swap for two-ways if I just couldn't live with them day to day.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:59 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

So, I think I am going with the blue stitching. It just really is sharp and with an otherwise black interior on a convertible, it adds some pop. I hadn't seen it on the buckets but Doug DeMuro has a GT3 review in Shark Blue with buckets and the blue stitching so even though it is a different car, it gave me a good idea of how it will come together. With my build, I'm just cresting $135k. Yes, I know you don't get your money back on options but you have the pleasure of knowing it is your car how you want it and what is $5k-$10k in the grad scheme of things. If I was paying ADM, I would be paying that anyway so, I see it as taking my ADM and putting in into options.

Now, I'm debating satin platinum or silver wheels. Initially I was going for silver but the platinum also looks good and I'm starting to think since it is not as bright, they may help tone down the brightness (or let you focus on) the Shark Blue. Thank you for understanding my continued thinking out loud stream of consciousness. My boss now has a GT4 on order so I guess this sickness is contagious.

Here is the Doug DeMero video for those who have not seen it.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:39 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

if you do go with the blue stitching make sure you go with the leather steering wheel/shifter boot

I do not believe that you get matching stitching with the alcantara wheel, but could be wrong..
Old 01-27-2022, 12:47 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
if you do go with the blue stitching make sure you go with the leather steering wheel/shifter boot

I do not believe that you get matching stitching with the alcantara wheel, but could be wrong..
I think it is the other way around. You get it with the Alcantara wheel and not the leather. Either that or I got robbed!!!

Mike, I would most definitely go with Satin over silver. Silver looks a little odd on Shark Blue....IMO. I like black but satin is the perfect in between. ALl the SB cars I have seen with satin I think they look great. SB is a very loud color. You don't need loud wheels. Again....opinion.

Last edited by flynlo; 01-27-2022 at 12:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flynlo:
Dan Nagy (01-27-2022), MaddMike (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 12:52 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
I think it is the other way around. You get it with the Alcantara wheel and not the leather. Either that or I got robbed!!!

Mike, I would most definitely go with Satin over silver. Silver looks a little odd on Shark Blue....IMO. I like black but satin is the perfect in between. ALl the SB cars I have seen with satin I think they look great. SB is a very loud color. You don't need loud wheels. Again....opinion.
well I got it with leather in my GT4, I think the spyder is a bit different, might want to inquire about it because it does look super nice
MaddMike (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 01:42 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flynlo

Originally Posted by smegman
well I got it with leather in my GT4, I think the spyder is a bit different, might want to inquire about it because it does look super nice
Yeah, that is the way I'm leaning now. Might be too much bling with the bright paint and silver wheels. Some of those sunny pictures are blinding. I also liked the pictures in another thread of what I believe was a Miami Blue GT4 on track with satin platinum wheels. I know it is a different shade but the effect is still the same.

My understanding is that the leather steering wheel and boot come with the stitching and that is what I have seen in the photos. I'm meeting with my SA to discuss my new build and I will verify with him.

My current build code has max in the name, which is fitting as it is the max I'm willing to spend.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNW4MAX4

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-27-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:02 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,041 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Black looks good too, but I'm biased. I understand that.

The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
flynlo (01-27-2022), JBM718GTS (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 04:38 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

So, I think I am going with the blue stitching. It just really is sharp and with an otherwise black interior on a convertible, it adds some pop. I hadn't seen it on the buckets but Doug DeMuro has a GT3 review in Shark Blue with buckets and the blue stitching so even though it is a different car, it gave me a good idea of how it will come together...
I have blue extended deviated stitching including the leather steering wheel with the blue stitching on my GT4. It is much more subtle than yellow. Unfortunately it doesn't show up well on camera... on my iPhone 12 for some reason it often tends to look more silver while to the eye it is a rich blue. Some of my posts in this thread have a handful of photos but don't so it justice.

Here are a couple of examples: (Posts 674 and 395)
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17903709

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17714946

Last edited by StormRune; 01-27-2022 at 04:46 PM.
MaddMike (01-27-2022)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread