Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Damn you people.

I was set on GB but these Shark pictures have me thinking about changing my build to this:http://www.porsche-code.com/PN39BGL8

This is a fantastic color combo. I had mine out today and still really love it.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

I don't like the way the warning lights look as they are always visible in yellow, are they not?
During the day, yes, but I don't really notice them anymore, at night no, not visible with a yellow background.

These warning graphics (not the lights) would be visible on all colours except black faced gauges.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-24-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:05 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
During the day, yes, but I don't really notice them anymore, at night no, not visible with a yellow background.

These warning graphics (not the lights) would be visible on all colours except black faced gauges.

Yeah, not a fan and the asymmetry of two of three gauges in yellow would bother my OCD.

I did make a couple changes to this new build:
Seat belts in shark blue (I'm reading in this thread that is is actually not a real option so I'm confused if I can order that or not)
Changed the trim to CF from the aluminum. This doesn't look too good in the configurator but I figured it would better match the seats. Thoughts?
Added dashboard trim package in leather. I have this on my 981 Spyder and it looks sharp. I know some say it is not worth it but I think it adds a certain detail and you get that stitching around the defrost vents and when you open the door. I may still delete it.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I think the yellow and blue is just too much and I think I will tire of the yellow. In addition, I think I will never see a track and the 18-ways with leather backs and heating will make this a better DD (which is really what it is although I work from home and have other DDs, it is not a dedicated sports/track car)

So, that leaves my options with silver stitching and aluminum trim which I think will match the other silver in the cabin (I don't like the CF trim unless I had the CF seats) at $129,030
Or go with a similar build with blue stitching and maybe black leather trim or the black brushed trim. However, changing the stitching to blue because it includes the seat back and the steering is $3,500 more at $132,530. I also noticed you lose the Spyder logo on the seats which is not ideal.

I think the blue stitching pops but I don't think its worth $3500 and I may get tired of it unless you guys convince me otherwise.

Here are the two yellow-less interior builds:
Silver stitching:http://www.porsche-code.com/PNBB6IY9
Blue stitching:http://www.porsche-code.com/PN96WUX9

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-25-2022 at 12:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spyder Bite (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

^^ The blue stitching was worth the $3500 to me and I enjoy seeing it. It’s not as “in your face” as you might think. Adding the leather backs to the 18-ways was a nice option on my 992, and the extended stitching was there as well. I think the silver backs on the seats would be fine if you exterior paint was silver or chalk. It looks like silver plastic to my eyes.

I also just kept the black dials - the two left colored and the third not would have bothered me as well, but the SC clock with a yellow dial would be a cool touch.

I also like the contrast of the yellow. Sorry, no help here, lol. There are so many great choices for this car. If I found a Spyder on a lot, any of the colors except for the rose quartz would work for me, but for ordering, I’d stay away from black as some of the details would be lost. For the interior, any of the options would be great, but think if I were going Spyder, I’d option the buckets and steel brakes.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

I don't like spending a lot of money on the interior on a performance car. It's why I'm happy with my GT350 while others are complaining about plastic or body panel gaps. My daily drivers (Audi, BMW, etc), sure, I like full leather, heated everything and big cup holders, but on these cars, it's more about the mechanical IMO (for me, I respect others have different views). That's why I only spent under $6k in options and nearly half of that was paint.

Now, having said all that, I will admit that the first time I saw the backs of the seats, I wasn't thrilled with the color. Good thing I don't see that while I'm driving

Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
^^ The blue stitching was worth the $3500 to me and I enjoy seeing it. It’s not as “in your face” as you might think. Adding the leather backs to the 18-ways was a nice option on my 992, and the extended stitching was there as well. I think the silver backs on the seats would be fine if you exterior paint was silver or chalk. It looks like silver plastic to my eyes.

I also just kept the black dials - the two left colored and the third not would have bothered me as well, but the SC clock with a yellow dial would be a cool touch.

I also like the contrast of the yellow. Sorry, no help here, lol. There are so many great choices for this car. If I found a Spyder on a lot, any of the colors except for the rose quartz would work for me, but for ordering, I’d stay away from black as some of the details would be lost. For the interior, any of the options would be great, but think if I were going Spyder, I’d option the buckets and steel brakes.
Ugh, I almost wish that we didn't have as many options or that my lock date was not 70 days away as I keep changing my mind.

So, in your opinion, it is worth the $3,500 or 2.7% of the vehicle price. I'm not saying I'm not considering it, it is just a hard pill to swallow.

As far a buckets and PCCB go, my current Spyder has the 18 way, leather backs and they are nice seats and of course heat is a nice touch (but not a deal killers). My previous Alfa Romeo had Sparco CF seats and CCB, both options that I loved about the car. However, I am 6'2" and this is essentially a DD for me so I'm thinking of getting in and out especially with the roof up. While I'm sure I would love them once in, I am no longer in my 30s and I will probably never track so while cool looking, may not be something that I want to live with every day. If I had a GT 4 it would be no question. In addition, while it will probably help resale on a GT3/4, I'm not sure that will be the case with the Spyder as it is more of a sports car vs a track car IMO. I could be wrong and I seem to change my mind every week

Now on PCCB, I honestly think they pay for themselves as you can probably get 100k miles with only brake flushes. At $2-4k for a brake job, that price washes out. Obviously, the advantages of PCCB are: clean wheels and the ability to run silver wheels without driving yourself crazy, the yellow looks amazing against the shark blue, they look cool overall, and of course lighter unsprung weight etc.

I went back and forth on that yellow clock. In the end, I took it off as it is the only yellow thing in the cabin and I'm afraid that my eye will constantly be drawn to it. If I had yellow stitching then yes but without it (especially with blue stitching) I think it is just too many different colors.

So, blue stitching with buckets or 18 way with silver stitching or any combo in between.

Back to buckets with blue stitching you since you don't have to pay for the leather seat backs the price isn't terrible. Maybe I stay with the buckets after all. $134,230
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLEAPV7
Old 01-25-2022, 11:11 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smegman
Lots of pics coming in
I did the extended Deviated stitching in speed blue with the Carbon fiber sills/trim and it looks great! Let me know if you want any other photos specifically.

Bumping this for interior blue stitching.

Anyone with a Spyder with buckets and the blue stitching? I may have to lose my Burmester to make this happen, ugh.
Unstock (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:34 PM
thejholmes
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone with a Spyder with buckets and the blue stitching? I may have to lose my Burmester to make this happen, ugh.
I'd love to see that as well, especially if you have something like the P1 inserts on your buckets.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:37 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Yeah, not a fan and the asymmetry of two of three gauges in yellow would bother my OCD.

I did make a couple changes to this new build:
Seat belts in shark blue (I'm reading in this thread that is is actually not a real option so I'm confused if I can order that or not)
Changed the trim to CF from the aluminum. This doesn't look too good in the configurator but I figured it would better match the seats. Thoughts?
Added dashboard trim package in leather. I have this on my 981 Spyder and it looks sharp. I know some say it is not worth it but I think it adds a certain detail and you get that stitching around the defrost vents and when you open the door. I may still delete it.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I think the yellow and blue is just too much and I think I will tire of the yellow. In addition, I think I will never see a track and the 18-ways with leather backs and heating will make this a better DD (which is really what it is although I work from home and have other DDs, it is not a dedicated sports/track car)

So, that leaves my options with silver stitching and aluminum trim which I think will match the other silver in the cabin (I don't like the CF trim unless I had the CF seats) at $129,030
Or go with a similar build with blue stitching and maybe black leather trim or the black brushed trim. However, changing the stitching to blue because it includes the seat back and the steering is $3,500 more at $132,530. I also noticed you lose the Spyder logo on the seats which is not ideal.

I think the blue stitching pops but I don't think its worth $3500 and I may get tired of it unless you guys convince me otherwise.

Here are the two yellow-less interior builds:
Silver stitching:http://www.porsche-code.com/PNBB6IY9
Blue stitching:http://www.porsche-code.com/PN96WUX9

I did the same. Switched out the yellow stitching for Silver. I added Silver belts to match the silver door pulls. I am really glad I got rid of the yellow on the interior. Silver is much more timeless. I used the yellow stitching money to upgrade to burmester and that was well worth it. I went with Black leather trim. It was the least likely to show finger prints or get scratched. Glad I made this choice also. I'll get some shots of my interior this weekend when I get the car back from PPF.

Last edited by Spyder Bite; 01-25-2022 at 12:41 PM.
MaddMike (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:10 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

As stunning as this deviated stitching is my hunch is you would go on actively enjoying the Burmester long after you stopped noticing the beautiful stitching. Or come up with the additional $3500 somewhere but keep the upgraded sound as obviously that's important to you. Those are my thoughts anyways.
MaddMike (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

@MaddMike This is a great "problem" to have...deciding on your options and believe when I say all of us have been there going back and forth. Welcome to the club. Now to get to business...

Between, gt silver and speed blue for your stitching, it's really just a matter of whether you want to tie in the interior with the Shark Blue exterior or not. The stitching is nice and adds some pizzaz to an otherwise black interior. I see all of the interior color options as accent pieces including the stitching, seat belts, gauges, chrono, and trim pieces(dash and door.) For me, since I have the bright blue Smurf color for the exterior and Pepita on the center armrest and seat inserts, we decided to not spend on the Speed Blue stitching because 1. my build was getting really pricey 2. we had enough focal pieces and felt like the Speed Blue stitching was just too much. I guess what I'm saying is, you'll have to decide how you want your car to present.

I don't know though if I would give up Burmester for Speed Blue stitching. Are you paying cash or financing? If financing, have you run the numbers to see what really adding both Speed Blue stitching and Burmester would do to your payment? I suspect just a few dollars and if you plan on keeping your car for a long time, will you live with regret? Regret may cost you more in the long run than a few dollars more of monthly payment.

As far as PCCB, there have been plenty of threads and discussions on whether or not they're right for you. Only you can decide. You mentioned something about $2-$4k for service. I don't have PCCB on my car so don't know if this price is for normal service such as for brake fluid flush or if you're referring to replacing pads and rotors because I was quoted about $24k for all four pads and rotors. Keep that cost in mind. The other thing is I met an RL member this weekend that had the wheel barrel scoring. His wheels are silver so it isn't as noticeable but if you have the platinum or black wheels, it will be very noticeable so keep that in mind.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
@MaddMike This is a great "problem" to have...deciding on your options and believe when I say all of us have been there going back and forth. Welcome to the club. Now to get to business...

Between, gt silver and speed blue for your stitching, it's really just a matter of whether you want to tie in the interior with the Shark Blue exterior or not. The stitching is nice and adds some pizzaz to an otherwise black interior. I see all of the interior color options as accent pieces including the stitching, seat belts, gauges, chrono, and trim pieces(dash and door.) For me, since I have the bright blue Smurf color for the exterior and Pepita on the center armrest and seat inserts, we decided to not spend on the Speed Blue stitching because 1. my build was getting really pricey 2. we had enough focal pieces and felt like the Speed Blue stitching was just too much. I guess what I'm saying is, you'll have to decide how you want your car to present.

I don't know though if I would give up Burmester for Speed Blue stitching. Are you paying cash or financing? If financing, have you run the numbers to see what really adding both Speed Blue stitching and Burmester would do to your payment? I suspect just a few dollars and if you plan on keeping your car for a long time, will you live with regret? Regret may cost you more in the long run than a few dollars more of monthly payment.

As far as PCCB, there have been plenty of threads and discussions on whether or not they're right for you. Only you can decide. You mentioned something about $2-$4k for service. I don't have PCCB on my car so don't know if this price is for normal service such as for brake fluid flush or if you're referring to replacing pads and rotors because I was quoted about $24k for all four pads and rotors. Keep that cost in mind. The other thing is I met an RL member this weekend that had the wheel barrel scoring. His wheels are silver so it isn't as noticeable but if you have the platinum or black wheels, it will be very noticeable so keep that in mind.

I have PCCB brakes and I understand it any interim service with these as compared to iron rotors will be the same, a fluid flush is just that and is not in the $1k's. I will leave the pad/rotor replacement out of this conversation as is way down the road, possibly never depending on how long you keep the car.

As for wheel barrel scoring, yes a real thing that does happen, those PCCB calipers are close to the barrel, but I suppose could be this could be true on other wheel/caliper combinations as well.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey

Thanks. Yes, my current build (seems to change by the hour) is back to buckets but with the silver stitching and brushed aluminum trim. The aluminum breaks up some of the blackness of the interior and adds some color (albeit neutral and I think I may like it more on this car than the CF which I don't think suits the Spyder that much). I do like the Burmester and back to silver puts me at $130k which was my original budget. By brake job, I'm referring to full rotors and pads, which I have never done on a Porsche but remember it costing a few K on my BMWs. I don't expect to ever change them out with PCCBs so if you keep a car 100k miles, with irons you probably have 2-3 full brake services which comes to the cost of CCBs (which is my reasoning). If I ever had to do a brake job on PCCBs, I would probably go for one of the aftermarket options. A fluid flus can be done at home for less than a bill or at the dealership for about $300.

The longer it takes to lock, the more changes I find myself making. I briefly thought of giving up the Burmester but knew that I would regret it and end up spending the money on an aftermarket solution.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-25-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:25 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Thanks. Yes, my current build (seems to change by the hour) is back to buckets but with the silver stitching and brushed aluminum trim. The aluminum breaks up some of the blackness of the interior and adds some color (albeit neutral and I think I may like it more on this car than the CF which I don't think suits the Spyder that much). I do like the Burmester and back to silver puts me at $130k which was my original budget. By brake job, I'm referring to full rotors and pads, which I have never done on a Porsche but remember it costing a few K on my BMWs. I don't expect to ever change them out with PCCBs so if you keep a car 100k miles, with irons you probably have 2-3 full brake services which comes to the cost of CCBs (which is my reasoning). If I ever had to do a brake job on PCCBs, I would probably go for one of the aftermarket options. A fluid flus can be done at home for less than a bill or at the dealership for about $300.

The longer it takes to lock, the more changes I find myself making. I briefly thought of giving up the Burmester but knew that I would regret it and end up spending the money on an aftermarket solution.
I like the aluminum trim as well for the reasons you stated. My only concern with it was scratching and showing finger prints. That may be a small concern in reality but I wasn’t sure.

Last edited by Spyder Bite; 01-25-2022 at 11:26 PM.
MaddMike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:33 PM
RSF_Shark
AutoX

Received 71 Likes on 12 Posts

The following 8 users liked this post by RSF_Shark:
Dan Nagy (01-26-2022), Jeff Jones (01-26-2022), MaddMike (01-26-2022), md4dna (01-26-2022), MrFunk (11-26-2022), sonystyle02 (01-26-2022), UncleDude (01-26-2022), Unstock (01-25-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread