Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 12:14 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by RSF_Shark
Beautiful. How could someone not pick PCCBs with this paint?

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-26-2022 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Nice car.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:10 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
I like the aluminum trim as well for the reasons you stated. My only concern with it was scratching and showing finger prints. That may be a small concern in reality but I wasn’t sure.
Its amazing how the brain works. The perception of quality because you paid more is real. Aluminum, being a free option, is often overlooked as its free so how good can it be?

Doing a image search to see how it looks in real life, I came across other Porsche threads for models where it is a paid upgrade and the discussion was around if it was worth it to upgrade to the brushed aluminum. On those threads I also decided that the black brushed aluminum doesn't look good as it is just another black on a black interior. I didn't see any complaints about it scratching but you can never be sure. I would think the painted interior trim would have the most chance of scratching as coats, purses, and other items are dragged across it.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:45 AM
kj71109
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Beautiful. How could someone not pick PCCBs with this paint?
Agree! Beautiful color.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:05 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Its amazing how the brain works. The perception of quality because you paid more is real. Aluminum, being a free option, is often overlooked as its free so how good can it be?

Doing a image search to see how it looks in real life, I came across other Porsche threads for models where it is a paid upgrade and the discussion was around if it was worth it to upgrade to the brushed aluminum. On those threads I also decided that the black brushed aluminum doesn't look good as it is just another black on a black interior. I didn't see any complaints about it scratching but you can never be sure. I would think the painted interior trim would have the most chance of scratching as coats, purses, and other items are dragged across it.
VERY INTERESTING! I went with a base interior and love the way the aluminum brings a splash of brightness inside. On my 2011 BMW 3-series M-sport, it had the "upgraded" aluminum interior which was basically the same as this. I hated it because it showed dust more and also scratched a bit. So I am nervous about the CGTS's aluminum bits for those reasons, but not for the looks.

I also added white faced gauges for the brightness and because, well, THEY LOOK SOOOOO GOOD! (IMO)

MaddMike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:30 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
VERY INTERESTING! I went with a base interior and love the way the aluminum brings a splash of brightness inside. On my 2011 BMW 3-series M-sport, it had the "upgraded" aluminum interior which was basically the same as this. I hated it because it showed dust more and also scratched a bit. So I am nervous about the CGTS's aluminum bits for those reasons, but not for the looks.

I also added white faced gauges for the brightness and because, well, THEY LOOK SOOOOO GOOD! (IMO)

Works with your door pulls too. Do you have pics of your actual car? The configurator is nice but it is always better to see a real-life version.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Do you have an actual picture (close up) of your white gauges in your car, not the configurator that you can share? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:50 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Always happy to share!

Here you go...

MaddMike (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

^^^^ Thanks, the white gauges do look good, in fact the whole interior selection works very well together!
AdamIsAdam (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:03 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

AdamisAdam, as far as stitching or other interior accents go, I agree with you....somewhat....if you have a hard top. With a convertible, your interior is on display so these options have a little more value...IMO

MaddMike, you rhetorically say, "How can you not get PCCB with this color?". That is a very expensive option just for a caliper color. I realize there are other reasons. But if that is the main one, maybe consider powdercoating or painting in the aftermarket. That is what I did and am perfectly happy with it. Also don't beat yourself up over all of your changes. The car I started out with and the one I ended up with were VERY different. It is a great(and fun) exercise although a bit nerve wracking. I did all the yellow bits AND the carbon fiber with the no cost option seats. it looks fantastic. My rhetorical question to you is how could you not get yellow stitching with this color???..... Regardless of what stitching you get, the CF trim really does look nice. I think it adds a performance look to it and this is a performance car. And finally, don't get to hung up on the dollar to dollar price. You are already spending a lot of money....what is a few dollars more for potentially your dream car??!!! A pic of my car with caliper paint. I am sure I posted it above somewhere. Interstingly I went with Speed Yellow on the color instead of racing yellow....I'll admit to that being an accident. Still looks great and would be cheap if I wanted to do something else!!

Good luck brutha. Regardless of what your final spec is, you will love the car!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by flynlo:
MaddMike (01-26-2022), wdr911 (10-21-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:06 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flynlo
AdamisAdam, as far as stitching or other interior accents go, I agree with you....somewhat....if you have a hard top. With a convertible, your interior is on display so these options have a little more value...IMO
I totally agree. The weighting on cost/benefit is different in a ragtop. No argument from the guy who spent $2,600 on paint.
flynlo (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:25 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flynlo

MaddMike, you rhetorically say, "How can you not get PCCB with this color?". That is a very expensive option just for a caliper color. I realize there are other reasons. But if that is the main one, maybe consider powdercoating or painting in the aftermarket. That is what I did and am perfectly happy with it. Also don't beat yourself up over all of your changes. The car I started out with and the one I ended up with were VERY different. It is a great(and fun) exercise although a bit nerve wracking. I did all the yellow bits AND the carbon fiber with the no cost option seats. it looks fantastic. My rhetorical question to you is how could you not get yellow stitching with this color???..... Regardless of what stitching you get, the CF trim really does look nice. I think it adds a performance look to it and this is a performance car. And finally, don't get to hung up on the dollar to dollar price. You are already spending a lot of money....what is a few dollars more for potentially your dream car??!!! A pic of my car with caliper paint. I am sure I posted it above somewhere. Interstingly I went with Speed Yellow on the color instead of racing yellow....I'll admit to that being an accident. Still looks great and would be cheap if I wanted to do something else!!

Good luck brutha. Regardless of what your final spec is, you will love the car!!!
It is an obsessive process. I love CCBs. I had them on the Alfa I just sold and they were amazing. So, while painting is an option and changing out the pads for something with less dust, I would rather just go with CCBs (or PCCBs in this case).

I think the yellow calipers look good against the paint. However, you don't have to stare at them all day when you are driving. Yellow is not my favorite color and I don't think I own anything yellow so my fear is getting tired of looking at that color in the interior. The blue is more attractive to me but once you add all the blue options the price adds up and you start questioning yourself if it is worth it over the silver, which also looks good especially with the silver trim.

Right now I'm obsessing over buckets or 18-ways. My car is a kind of DD even though I don't drive it every day. I do plan on commuting with it a couple times a week (if we get back to commuting one day). I love the way the buckets look but am not sure if I will tire of the impracticality. I would go 18-ways with heat and leather back which comes to only $1000 less than buckets. I think I have flip-flopped back a forth on the seats 10-12 times by now. The used to be the must have option but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I am always thinking about eventual resale as if I really like a car I keep it for four years or so. I'm wondering if the buckets are a desirable option on the secondary market or if there is a larger market of older buyers who want comfort and heat...

I'm leaning towards buckets.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-26-2022 at 01:40 PM.
flynlo (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:31 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

the 18 ways are soooo comfortable, but snug and supportive, I drove 1000 miles in 2 days after I picked up my car and my back didn't hurt at all... same couldn't be said if I was driving any of my other vehicles! I'm 6'6" and was unsure how the buckets would fit me, and there are times where I do wish I had them but its already pretty hard to get in and out (without hitting my head on the roof pillar) and I would imagine that the buckets wouldn't be that practical to use on a regular basis, but they sure do look nice
Old 01-26-2022, 01:43 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Always happy to share!

Here you go...

That does look good. Interesting that the door trim isn't aluminum though.

My one concern is in a Spyder, if the sun will hit the silver when the roof is down causing a glare.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:47 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

RE: sun glare: you would likely need to get leather to avoid it. Carbon fiber is shiny too as I recall.

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread