Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 11:24 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
They did for my last one, and I also pay for MarineTraffic so I could follow the shipment daily across the Atlantic. It’s cheap entertainment, but it also gives you updates when the boat will dock.
Is Marine Traffic better than the free web sites I've seen listed here, because some look pretty detailed? How much is it? Like you said, cheap entertained.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:27 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Is Marine Traffic better than the free web sites I've seen listed here, because some look pretty detailed? How much is it? Like you said, cheap entertained.
IMHO it is one of the best, in 2020 when I tracked my Spyder, I signed up and they gave you a base number of credits, didn't have to pay anything.

With those credits I just set notifications for my ship and when it got within range of my port and when docked, all free.
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 11:29 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I think it was around eight bucks a day. The problem with the free MarineTraffic is that you don’t get any information one it leaves the Channel.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:34 AM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sonystyle02
Photo dump!

Photos compliments of @v8venom on IG

My account, @sonystyle02

What is your shift ****? Link?
Old 11-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

I think it was around eight bucks a day. The problem with the free MarineTraffic is that you don’t get any information one it leaves the Channel.
True, but when it position doesn't change by the second day you know that it is out of range and in the Atlantic...
Old 11-26-2021, 02:40 PM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FourFourTwo
What is your shift ****? Link?
Here you go bud - https://raceseng.com/stratose-gate-1

I’m gonna be selling mine if you’re interested. Great **** but I ordered the 992 **** to replace it.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:50 PM
GT4 Shark Blue
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

That was my thought process, too. So I have the car, just turned 1600 miles, and the red brakes work for me. $900 saved.
Like most of you I stressed over just about every option choice. For me this is my first Porsche therefore the decisions made today had to be weighed against years of dreams that had accumulated in my head. Balancing what I thought I would choose with what seemed right for me today. Which means the brake caliper color was difficult. I agree that for a long time if I saw a car with red calipers it almost surely was a porsche. But now when I see red calipers on Ford Explorers it just ruins it for me. So I decided that on Shark Blue with black wheels I was going to go with black brakes. I just didn’t need another color competing with the Shark Blue. That said I ended up switching to PCCB’s near the end and looking back I think I could have worked with yellow on Shark Blue. Specially after seeing some of the recent builds. But I am going to rock the black calipers. On a GT4 I don’t think people will confuse my car with a base model.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT4 Shark Blue:
AdamIsAdam (11-26-2021), Inigo Montoya (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:55 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 924 Posts

Photo dump!

Photos compliments of @v8venom on IG

My account, @sonystyle02

Love that interior shot. Amazing contrast with the yellow and blue.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
brucewinter (11-27-2021), sonystyle02 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4 Shark Blue
Like most of you I stressed over just about every option choice. For me this is my first Porsche therefore the decisions made today had to be weighed against years of dreams that had accumulated in my head. Balancing what I thought I would choose with what seemed right for me today. Which means the brake caliper color was difficult. I agree that for a long time if I saw a car with red calipers it almost surely was a porsche. But now when I see red calipers on Ford Explorers it just ruins it for me. So I decided that on Shark Blue with black wheels I was going to go with black brakes. I just didn’t need another color competing with the Shark Blue. That said I ended up switching to PCCB’s near the end and looking back I think I could have worked with yellow on Shark Blue. Specially after seeing some of the recent builds. But I am going to rock the black calipers. On a GT4 I don’t think people will confuse my car with a base model.
Yes, my wife's GTI and every hot hatch have them so they can look like you're trying too hard in car that doesn't need introduction or red calipers. Maybe it's a generational thing, black calipers mean business not flash so I would pay $900 hard earned dollars for them in a Porsche. Actually I was agonizing between the T and S as well and one of the CONS for the S was the red calipers and no option to have in black. They also compete with the color and can clash with the colors. With that said, I saw a GT4 with red calipers and it didn't look horrible and while I think they cheapen the look of the car, I am glad Porsche at least gives you the option to go black albeit for a lot of money just for caliper color. So luckily, everyone can pick their color to whatever makes you happy. So why even bring this up..well my reasoning is this. I am not trying to put down the red calipers, but for those that are on the bubble between red and black, offering a counter point that not everyone thinks the red calipers look awesome and they also age more than the black calipers as well. Futhermore, I am considering putting bigger brakes on my Cayman T down the road and if the only caliper color available in the upsize is Red or Yellow, I would do it because function is a higher priority than looks. Then when they red fades and gets mottled by brake dust, paint them black. Like the Stones said, I see a red (caliper) and I want to paint it black....not the other way around. : )

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 11-26-2021 at 05:58 PM.
GT4 Shark Blue (11-27-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:06 PM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Photo dump!
I'm stealing that side shot for phone wallpaper. So sweet!

How much did the cxx bucket seats add if you don't mind me asking?
sonystyle02 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 09:30 PM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninja_Bum
How much did the cxx bucket seats add if you don't mind me asking?
The seat inserts are aftermarket from @P1Designs - highly recommended!
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 AM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Spotted at a local car show the other weekend. The color looks better in person but I think this pic is fairly representative of it IRL.

The following 4 users liked this post by haen:
Dan Nagy (11-27-2021), eeki (11-27-2021), GT4 Shark Blue (11-27-2021), JBM718GTS (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:29 AM
eeki
Track Day

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Re: black or red calipers - maybe it's indeed a generational thing, having been a kid in the 90s the thing that comes to my mind are Porsche "big reds" that were THE thing back in the day. These are the cars that I think of when I think of blue cars with red calipers:

So, I had actually never even considered taking the black calipers, and I went for the red ones, but I thought it was interesting that also my SA also brought up when configuring the car - so it must not be that rare to spec black calipers. I can understand that blue/red might be a bit "superman" in the interior for example (I don't think blue leather & red stitching would be a good look), but as the calipers are in the wheel wells, the colors aren't directly next to each other so it does not clash IMHO. Anyway, reading the discussion, many people seem very happy with their black calipers, so it's good that Porsche does give us options on this, even though it is a bit ridiculous to charge that much money for it, but I guess that's how it works in Porsche-land!

Last edited by eeki; 11-27-2021 at 08:31 AM.
GT4 Shark Blue (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by eeki
Re: black or red calipers - maybe it's indeed a generational thing, having been a kid in the 90s the thing that comes to my mind are Porsche "big reds" that were THE thing back in the day. These are the cars that I think of when I think of blue cars with red calipers:

So, I had actually never even considered taking the black calipers, and I went for the red ones, but I thought it was interesting that also my SA also brought up when configuring the car - so it must not be that rare to spec black calipers. I can understand that blue/red might be a bit "superman" in the interior for example (I don't think blue leather & red stitching would be a good look), but as the calipers are in the wheel wells, the colors aren't directly next to each other so it does not clash IMHO. Anyway, reading the discussion, many people seem very happy with their black calipers, so it's good that Porsche does give us options on this, even though it is a bit ridiculous to charge that much money for it, but I guess that's how it works in Porsche-land!
They add a little bling to the car, IMO. I ceramic coated mine so they clean up nicely.
eeki (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:25 AM
GT4 Shark Blue
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by eeki

Yes it is nice that at least now we have a choice for black calipers. However isn’t Porsche just brilliant at figuring out what they can offer to get us to part with our money in order to get it. Let’s face it you probably aren’t on this thread unless you are paying a silly amount of money to paint your Porsche a stock Volkswagen color. So really we are all just total suckers aren’t we. Haha 😂
eeki (11-27-2021)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread