Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I think the OEM muffler doesn't mix exhaust from each bank and that's part of the problem with the tone/sound....you will want something that merges those two banks.
Totally agree with jmartpr's comment above. I believe you need to have an active x-pipe in the rear section to get the sound we all seem to be talking about. The highly restrictive factory muffler with baffles and small diameter tubing just does not let enough exhaust gases through it to affect the sound in a way that will create the classic Porsche flat-six howl. After the exhaust gases pass through the OAP, why should much of it go through multiple feet of the boat anchor restrictive muffler when it can easily sneak out the PSE escape hatch in a matter of inches. That is why the OEM setup is more raspy and not exactly the tone that we are lookin for.

I think if one of our vendors could make a resonated OAP, that would help tone down the PSE pathway for those chosing to only add the OAP. That way you open up the system and make it more responsive, but also attenuate the sound a bit for the PSE pathway. Maybe you would get a little more power, but that is apparently debatable at this point. If people are doing compassions here, I think you need to wait a week or so for the ECU to recalibrate itself to see the full possibility of improvements. Some manufactures have seen about 10 more horsepower, while others have seen none.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 01-26-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 PM
georgia606
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 718 Spyder sounds awesome with standard exhaust......that is all
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

I have been waiting to see what FVD comes up with as I think they consistently put out product that captures the Porsche house sound well, but so far nothing from them (I.e. M&M).

I did however see this when checking their site... anyone know what this contraption is? https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9820300...m-muffler.html
Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 PM
georgia606
Track Day

Just drive and enjoy this magical car......upgrade whatever you want but at the end of the day it needs NO UPGRADES!

2021 Spyder (PDK)
2018 Boxster S (PDK)
2015 Boxtser GTS (PDK)
2013 Boxster Base (Manual)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

My apologies georgia606. I am still stuck below 5500 rpms so the music from my motor has been limited and subdued so far. I haven't gotten to experience 8000 rpms yet. I am sure it sounds pretty good up there with most any kind of exhaust.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:03 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by georgia606
Just drive and enjoy this magical car......upgrade whatever you want but at the end of the day it needs NO UPGRADES!

2021 Spyder (PDK)
2018 Boxster S (PDK)
2015 Boxtser GTS (PDK)
2013 Boxster Base (Manual)
full exhaust is mandatory on this platform lmao.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:04 PM
georgia606
Track Day

Enjoy your GT4 and good luck with it! These cars are very special machines I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with my Spyder.
Had my allocation all set then the china virus hit so didn't order. Decided in July to move forward but my sales person had no allocation for me.
He found one at another dealer, hooked me up thank god and put my order in. Delivered to me November 18 in Jacksonville, FL and drove it
to my house in Venice, FL. I am so glad it all worked out its a tremendous vehicle!
The following users liked this post:
JWPotter (10-02-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:05 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Totally agree with jmartpr's comment above. I believe you need to have an active x-pipe in the rear section to get the sound we all seem to be talking about. The highly restrictive factory muffler with baffles and small diameter tubing just does not let enough exhaust gases through it to affect the sound in a way that will create the classic Porsche flat-six howl. After the exhaust gases pass through the OAP, why should much of it go through multiple feet of the boat anchor restrictive muffler when it can easily sneak out the PSE escape hatch in a matter of inches. That is why the OEM setup is more raspy and not exactly the tone that we are lookin for.

I think if one of our vendors could make a resonated OAP, that would help tone down the PSE pathway for those chosing to only add the OAP. That way you open up the system and make it more responsive, but also attenuate the sound a bit for the PSE pathway. Maybe you would get a little more power, but that is apparently debatable at this point. If people are doing compassions here, I think you need to wait a week or so for the ECU to recalibrate itself to see the full possibility of improvements. Some manufactures have seen about 10 more horsepower, while others have seen none.
I'm going to run the car with the catless headers and Akra pipes with the OEM muffler and see how it feels/sounds. If I don't like the sound, I'll look into a street exhaust with x-pipes that allows me to keep the valve control.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex C
I agree. I just want better sound, less weight while not losing power. Gaining power would be a bonus but it seems to be difficult to have all the boxes checked.
Rex,

Our Performance Package that includes Headers, OAP, and Valvetronic exhaust will check those boxes. Weight savings of over 30 lbs, incredible sound and will gain 30+ WHP.

Check out our newest video to hear it for yourself.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any real power to be gained using street legal 200-cell catted headers?
Old 01-27-2021, 01:42 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Does anyone know if there is any real power to be gained using street legal 200-cell catted headers?
VVG,
Happy to shed light on this. What makes the difference is the overall diameter of the 200-Cell CAT. We use the largest diameter application that we can, For reference, I have attached a Dyno Graph of a recent install on a 991.2 Carrera. The full stock system, the only thing that changed was 200-Cell CATS. Gained 20+ WHP.
Many other companies use small diameter 200-Cells, This restricts the flow heavily and costs you the gains you would see with larger.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:35 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
VVG,
Happy to shed light on this. What makes the difference is the overall diameter of the 200-Cell CAT. We use the largest diameter application that we can, For reference, I have attached a Dyno Graph of a recent install on a 991.2 Carrera. The full stock system, the only thing that changed was 200-Cell CATS. Gained 20+ WHP.
Many other companies use small diameter 200-Cells, This restricts the flow heavily and costs you the gains you would see with larger.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Impressive. Thanks for the details. Much appreciated !!
Fabspeed Motorsport (01-28-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 10:38 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

I've just installed the Cargraphict Racing Xpipe with the Akrapovic OAP.

I've only driven from the dealer back to home so this is just the first thought about it.

My aim was a high pitch sound at higher RPM and this is exactly the result even after reaching only 6000 rpm this sound amazing ... pretty much as seen in the video of @Sausage416 ... so currently I'm loving this .

The only odd thing for the moment is hearing the valves closing at around 2000Rpm just when the sound start to picking an aggressive tone. When valves are closed this exhaust is very very quiet, pretty much like stock, so this closing transition between 2000-4000 is very noticeable and I have to do more miles to determine if this is just clever to avoid drone or is something to address... I will report later .

Last edited by metalone; 03-17-2021 at 10:49 PM.
964C4 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:49 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Cargraphic Racing X-Pipe and valve controller
Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 AM
Manu335
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So far I haven't changed anything. I noticed a change in the sound after 2000km. From 4000rpm the sound is good for my taste. So I'll just go for a valve controller first to fill the lack of sound at low rpm.
Due to EU regulations ... the removal of OPF does not even need to be considered. I don't want to see my car seized. And if another change should be considered it will be Cargraphic xpipe

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?