Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I was going to ask for additional information but I suspect that this post is simply a smoke bomb... other you would have backed your statement up with facts.
Originally Posted by worf928
You’re kidding? Right?

This —^ especially when A40 M1 0w-40 has a reputation (here at least) for turning into water after a couple of thousand miles.

Isn’t there a theorem that states that any rennlist thread allowed to continue will eventually turn into a ‘which oil is better’ thread?

Or was it about Hitler? I forget. In any case this thread started out with a disadvantage in that regard.
Originally Posted by steve9
How many miles do you think you would achieve on a Grp IV oil without an additive pack?

If you check the Safety Data sheet for the Mobil X3 you will see that it has <10% PAO so it's hardly a Grp IV based oil and a long way short of the requirement to be called fully synthetic in some countries.
I'm just passing along the word from my tribologist. Among the three C40 oils, the Mobil 1 C40 version has been performing the best in the applications he's seen. That doesn't mean it's a great performing oil in the grand scheme of things, nor that it's a Grp IV, nor that add packs are optional (?!), just that it's been doing better than LM and Motul C40 oils. I said I wanted to stick with a C40 oil in my GT4 (at least while I have a GPF in place, if not for the entire warranty period), so he said stick with the Mobil 1 C40 (and added the Grp III commentary about the other brands).

His tests cost more than $100 each, so he gets much more detailed data than a simple Blackstone test provides, and he's been an independent consultant to several OEMs, so I listen to him. I thought I'd pass along the word that I pay a lot for, but y'all can do whatever.
The following users liked this post:
Traum (06-28-2022)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:14 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
I'm just passing along the word from my tribologist. Among the three C40 oils, the Mobil 1 C40 version has been performing the best in the applications he's seen. That doesn't mean it's a great performing oil in the grand scheme of things, nor that it's a Grp IV, nor that add packs are optional (?!), just that it's been doing better than LM and Motul C40 oils. I said I wanted to stick with a C40 oil in my GT4 (at least while I have a GPF in place, if not for the entire warranty period), so he said stick with the Mobil 1 C40 (and added the Grp III commentary about the other brands).

His tests cost more than $100 each, so he gets much more detailed data than a simple Blackstone test provides, and he's been an independent consultant to several OEMs, so I listen to him. I thought I'd pass along the word that I pay a lot for, but y'all can do whatever.
Cool. That's what I wanted to know: from where did your original assertion come.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:15 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff

While I'm sure you are being transparent I need to see the data, otherwise it's hearsay. But regardless what the analysis shows, Mobil 1 C40 oil IS NOT readily available in the US at the retail point of sale AND a significantly large number of NA dealerships are still pumping A40 through these motors. If Mobil 1 C40 was readily available and dealers know their *** from a hole in the ground this thread wouldn't even exist. And while oil isn't something I'm willing to cheap out on, I sure as hell am not paying $20+ per quart, Mobil 1 has never shown that level of superiority over it competitors and is routinely considered a mid pack oil.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
While I'm sure you are being transparent I need to see the data, otherwise it's hearsay. But regardless what the analysis shows, Mobil 1 C40 oil IS NOT readily available in the US at the retail point of sale AND a significantly large number of NA dealerships are still pumping A40 through these motors. If Mobil 1 C40 was readily available and dealers know their *** from a hole in the ground this thread wouldn't even exist. And while oil isn't something I'm willing to cheap out on, I sure as hell am not paying $20+ per quart, Mobil 1 has never shown that level of superiority over it competitors and is routinely considered a mid pack oil.
Or instead of waiting to top it up with oil that I could not get locally... simply change it with a fresh fill of Liqui Moly!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:58 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Or instead of waiting to top it up with oil that I could not get locally... simply change it with a fresh fill of Liqui Moly!
Actually I'm leaning towards Motul, there seems to be consistent issues where LM has higher oil consumption than either Motul or M1 but for the most part oil analysis shows little difference between the 3. But that was just a cursory internet scan and I'll admit this is not the latest C40 variants.

I've used Motul before and have been happy with it and honestly I think unless you are tracking the car a lot the difference between the 3 is probably negligible.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-13-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:10 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

I heard somewhere that over 70% of all Porsches ever made are still on the road... shouldn't be too hard to find a buyer!
Yea 70% still on the road, the other 30% made it back home in one piece.
nofferman (06-16-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:14 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve9
Yea 70% still on the road, the other 30% made it back home in one piece.
No, that’s Harley-Davidson and it’s 85% are still on the road, the rest made it home.

Sure, I’m a fanboy but the reality is prior to the SUV era and post non-galvanized era, Porsche has one of the best long term longevity stats on the planet. Of course you have to take into account that before 2003 Porsche barely made 10,000 cars / year on average so it’s a pretty small market sample.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-17-2021 at 06:18 PM.
minn19 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:47 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
No, that’s Harley-Davidson and it’s 85% are still on the road, the rest made it home.

Sure, I’m a fanboy but the reality is prior to the SUV era and post non-galvanized era, Porsche has one of the best long term longevity stats on the planet. Of course you have to take into account that before 2003 Porsche barely made 10,000 cars / year on average so it’s a pretty small market sample.
I recall when they first started hot dip galvanizing the body that they put one out front of the HQ building in Stuttgart, wonder if its still there?
Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
I recall when they first started hot dip galvanizing the body that they put one out front of the HQ building in Stuttgart, wonder if its still there?
I don’t think so, I don’t recall seeing it when I was last there in ‘04. I heard it was in the museum garage though.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:28 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MacMac001
******* will surely guide you by that.
SPAM - Reported
steve9 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:35 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

any vendor or suncoast sell an oil change kit for the GT4 with oil, filter, o-ring, etc whatever else may be needed ?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
any vendor or suncoast sell an oil change kit for the GT4 with oil, filter, o-ring, etc whatever else may be needed ?
You probably could've found this in the time it took to ask your question, but here you go:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8GTFILTER.html
Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You probably could've found this in the time it took to ask your question, but here you go:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8GTFILTER.html
no oil, o-rings, etc.. Im used to buying full on oil change kits for BMWs.. comes with the correct oil, the right amount, a filter, o-ring for the drain bolt, etc whatever else is needed
Old 01-21-2021, 03:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
no oil, o-rings, etc.. Im used to buying full on oil change kits for BMWs.. comes with the correct oil, the right amount, a filter, o-ring for the drain bolt, etc whatever else is needed
Read it again! Comes with everything but oil (comes with filter O-Ring, but not needed on the included plastic drain plug)...
Old 01-21-2021, 03:55 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Since they don't have the correct oil in their catalog its not possible to get a complete oil change kit, but if I recall correctly Suncoast has never included oil in their kits. I keep checking all the sites for the C40 spec oil but so far nobody else has added it.

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion