Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 06:50 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Now that the C40 oil seems to be more readily available, why would one even consider using A40 anymore?
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
warranty is good but it might be possible that using A40 will harm OPFs and in long term at some point the owner will have to deal with costs associated.
i'm pretty sure that OPF's are not covered by extended warranty....
Beyond that, aside from needing your OPFs replaced potentially, if they get clogged what other issues can result from that? Ie. abnormal heat buildup, damaging other nearby components, or even worse, engine internals. I think the whole North American Porsche Laissez-faire attitude to this oil concern I have seen so far is completely unacceptable. Maybe A40 is fine for the non monitored cars, I don't know, but until the factory comes out and confidently says so, they need to be putting C40 into these cars and taking it seriously.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:59 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
warranty is good but it might be possible that using A40 will harm OPFs and in long term at some point the owner will have to deal with costs associated.
i'm pretty sure that OPF's are not covered by extended warranty....
Curious to know why you say this or believe this to be the case? Typically from what I've seen, extended warranties at least factory warranties and not 3rd party warranties extend the warranty that came with the car if you buy the top level warranty. Of course it doesn't and have never covered wear and tear items. I don't believe the OPF would be considered wear and tear and should be part of the emissions part of the warranty. Of course, I could be wrong as I've never bought a Porsche before.
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
That's probably correct, maybe those crazy Germans just drive the crap out of it to heat it up. Anyway, I have the C40 oil, but I'm thinking seriously of removing the matrix from the GPF so that point would be moot.
You are assuming that the GPF is the only reason C40 is being spec'd for these cars. I am not going to make that assumption until I have factory literature supporting that stance.
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Price would be one reason, and availability another, dealer may have it but mine wants $19/at. Until Walmart and Pep Boys carry it I wouldn't say its readily available.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:03 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Price would be one reason, and availability another, dealer may have it but mine wants $19/at. Until Walmart and Pep Boys carry it I wouldn't say its readily available.
I got some at my local dealer about a month ago for a little over $10 a quart. If it made it to flyover land dealers, I’d guess it is hitting other ones as well. Price, obviously is up to the dealer. If you want, you can call Porsche St. Paul parts and see if they’ll ship you some.

https://stpaul.porschedealer.com/?ut...medium=organic

Last edited by minn19; 02-08-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:33 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
I got some at my local dealer about a month ago for a little over $10 a quart. If it made it to flyover land dealers, I’d guess it is hitting other ones as well. Price, obviously is up to the dealer. If you want, you can call Porsche St. Paul parts and see if they’ll ship you some.

Search the other instances of people posting C40 readily available at online retailers. Why everyone immediately goes to the dealer and assumes that it can only be dealer supplied is beyond me. You also don't need Mobil 1 - Motul and LiquiMoly are equal if not better brands.
Hell, I bought C40 on Amazon of all places delivered right to my door.

All of this is Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen 2 (C40):
Pelican Parts
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/109762.htm (5L @ $45.75)
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/109762.htm (1L @ $11.75)

Amazon
Amazon Amazon
(5L @ $49.23, 1L @ $17.00) - No Prime shipping
Old 02-08-2021, 09:40 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Search the other instances of people posting C40 readily available at online retailers. Why everyone immediately goes to the dealer and assumes that it can only be dealer supplied is beyond me. You also don't need Mobil 1 - Motul and LiquiMoly are equal if not better brands.
Hell, I bought C40 on Amazon of all places delivered right to my door.

All of this is Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen 2 (C40):
Pelican Parts
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/109762.htm (5L @ $45.75)
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/109762.htm (1L @ $11.75)

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWJXMNY (5L @ $49.23, 1L @ $17.00) - No Prime shipping
No you don’t need Mobil 1, but I prefer to stick with it for various reasons. And the Porsche dealer is on my way home from work so no biggie for me to stop by.

Bottom line is there is no reason to think about using A40 in these cars anymore unless someone wants to for whatever reason.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:46 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
You are assuming that the GPF is the only reason C40 is being spec'd for these cars. I am not going to make that assumption until I have factory literature supporting that stance.
Yes, the only reason to run the C40 in a normally aspirated engine would be to protect the particulate filter (if equipped). As the Euro 6 standard requires a GFP on all cars in Europe, the C40 oil would meet the ACEA C2/C3 specifications for sulfated ash to protect them. The main reason to run a C40 over the A40 oil is for turbocharged engines as an A40 oil does not provide protection for LSPI due to high calcium detergent levels which must be much lower to prevent LSPI.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Curious to know why you say this or believe this to be the case? Typically from what I've seen, extended warranties at least factory warranties and not 3rd party warranties extend the warranty that came with the car if you buy the top level warranty. Of course it doesn't and have never covered wear and tear items.
I don't believe the OPF would be considered wear and tear and should be part of the emissions part of the warranty. Of course, I could be wrong as I've never bought a Porsche before.
Never ever i 've seen catalytic convertors and lambda sensors to be considered as a non wear and tear item.
I assume that OPFs are the same.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

But from a purely economic viewpoint, that's a far cry from the $22/jug price found at big box retailers before the Mobil rebate they offer every year of $12/jug. Now when C40 gets down to that level let me know.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

But from a purely economic viewpoint, that's a far cry from the $22/jug price found at big box retailers before the Mobil rebate they offer every year of $12/jug. Now when C40 gets down to that level let me know.
Seriously? You are willing to endanger your warranty and possibly who knows what else for a few bucks on a car like this?

Moving on, it’s your car as they say. But for the rest of the people in this thread etc looking for C40 Mobil 1, it’s probably available at your dealer and soon to be elsewhere is my guess.

Last edited by minn19; 02-09-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Seriously? You are willing to endanger your warranty and possibly who knows what else for a few bucks on a car like this?

Moving on, it’s your car as they say. But for the rest of the people in this thread etc looking for C40 Mobil 1, it’s probably available at your dealer and soon to be elsewhere is my guess.
Hey, I've already stated on here that I have the C40 spec oil in my oil locker, bought Liqui Moly and am ready to go, I was just making the argument that all things being equal, the old Mobil 1 0W-40 A40 spec oil was a great bargain, only about $2/qt after rebates, and until the new C40 gets availability and price to that level will it be what I would consider "widely available." Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just making a point. I sold all my A40 oil to another Porsche person, I'm absolved of all sin here, and I'm not going to scrimp and save a few bucks and endanger my $$$ engine, but somewhere down the line there will be folks who for whatever reason buy a used P-car with GPF's and if they can't find the C40 spec, or it is multiples of the A40, they will go the cheaper route. If the C40 is the oil of the future and it is going to cost 3-4 times what the A40 does, so be it, but I think one of the main points of this discussion is that Porsche has been selling cars with the GPF in this country at least since Q4 of 2020 with very little support at the dealerships in the way of oil availability, and while, yes, internet availability of alternatives have been quicker to come on line, they are still not as ubiquitous as A40 oil has been. Sorry to have offended you.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:39 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Hey, I've already stated on here that I have the C40 spec oil in my oil locker, bought Liqui Moly and am ready to go, I was just making the argument that all things being equal, the old Mobil 1 0W-40 A40 spec oil was a great bargain, only about $2/qt after rebates, and until the new C40 gets availability and price to that level will it be what I would consider "widely available." Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just making a point. I sold all my A40 oil to another Porsche person, I'm absolved of all sin here, and I'm not going to scrimp and save a few bucks and endanger my $$$ engine, but somewhere down the line there will be folks who for whatever reason buy a used P-car with GPF's and if they can't find the C40 spec, or it is multiples of the A40, they will go the cheaper route. If the C40 is the oil of the future and it is going to cost 3-4 times what the A40 does, so be it, but I think one of the main points of this discussion is that Porsche has been selling cars with the GPF in this country at least since Q4 of 2020 with very little support at the dealerships in the way of oil availability, and while, yes, internet availability of alternatives have been quicker to come on line, they are still not as ubiquitous as A40 oil has been. Sorry to have offended you.
Offended? Not at all, surprised maybe and I think it’s obvious I agree with most of your points, especially the point about Porsche’s role in this small fiasco. Yes it is expensive now as it is new, but like everything, it will come down in price very soon.

All I wanted was a couple of quarts to get keep me topped up in between initial oil changes. I’m not going to worry about spending $22 on them for a $100k car and I’m sure most others here won’t either that are in the same situation.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:49 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Well not quite those levels but Liqui Moly 4110 in 5W-40 C40 is like $7.61 at FCP.

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion