Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 04:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Since they don't have the correct oil in their catalog its not possible to get a complete oil change kit, but if I recall correctly Suncoast has never included oil in their kits. I keep checking all the sites for the C40 spec oil but so far nobody else has added it.
How about this? (click on Amazon Link below):

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by GrantG; 01-21-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:41 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Since Motul is sponsoring the pole competition for the 2021 Rolex 24 I’m hoping that even with COVID they will have some sort of display at the race. 2 years ago I won a set of Michelin tires, maybe this year I can score a case of C40 oil
Old 01-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Since they don't have the correct oil in their catalog its not possible to get a complete oil change kit, but if I recall correctly Suncoast has never included oil in their kits. I keep checking all the sites for the C40 spec oil but so far nobody else has added it.
For what it is worth, the Mobil 1 C40 oil is significantly better than the A40 oil.

Driven's DI40 meets ACEA C2/C3 specifications for sulfated ash with an average 0.72 (mass %) which is one of the big differences between an A40 and C40 oil. The other big difference as you can see in the overlapping approvals is that the C40 also meets DEXOS2 spec which covers LSPI protection, which Driven was on the forefront with its work conducted in partnership with GM Ford, and ORNL:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...2016_o_web.pdf
Old 01-22-2021, 09:59 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Him, I emailed Driven when this oil controversy came up last year and they told me while their oil would provide excellent protection and performance in my GTS 4.0, it did not meet Porsches specs and would not stand up to warranty claims.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:25 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Him, I emailed Driven when this oil controversy came up last year and they told me while their oil would provide excellent protection and performance in my GTS 4.0, it did not meet Porsches specs and would not stand up to warranty claims.
You are 100% correct about the warranty. If you are street driving your car, using a factory approved oil is probably the safest route in case you do have an engine related failure under warranty.

However there are other considerations - if the car is tracked or modified, Porsche will void the engine warranty anyways, so you might as well put in the best oil possible and observe shorter drain intervals.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
For what it is worth, the Mobil 1 C40 oil is significantly better than the A40 oil.

Driven's DI40 meets ACEA C2/C3 specifications for sulfated ash with an average 0.72 (mass %) which is one of the big differences between an A40 and C40 oil. The other big difference as you can see in the overlapping approvals is that the C40 also meets DEXOS2 spec which covers LSPI protection, which Driven was on the forefront with its work conducted in partnership with GM Ford, and ORNL:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...2016_o_web.pdf
I agree with most of that Charles. However, A40 does not preclude mid SAPS oils and there are many examples that are in the ACEA C3 category with sulfated ash levels of less than 0.8%wt.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve9
I agree with most of that Charles. However, A40 does not preclude mid SAPS oils and there are many examples that are in the ACEA C3 category with sulfated ash levels of less than 0.8%wt.
Also correct. The biggest difference is you won't find an A40 oil with LSPI protection. The composition of the additive package required to meet A40 approval makes these oils not compliant with standards to meet required LSPI protection, although that's not as much an issue with a normally aspirated direct injected engine than those with forced induction.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Also correct. The biggest difference is you won't find an A40 oil with LSPI protection. The composition of the additive package required to meet A40 approval makes these oils not compliant with standards to meet required LSPI protection, although that's not as much an issue with a normally aspirated direct injected engine than those with forced induction.
Charles, its been a long time since I was associated with the oil industry, and a lot has changed in the interim,. The two main differences I see between A40 and C40 spec oil are the formulations to meet the requirements for an engine equipped with a GPF, and the requirements to help prevent LSPI, is this correct? So effectively, what would happen if one mixed A40 and C40 oil in an engine?
Old 01-22-2021, 03:41 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Charles, its been a long time since I was associated with the oil industry, and a lot has changed in the interim,. The two main differences I see between A40 and C40 spec oil are the formulations to meet the requirements for an engine equipped with a GPF, and the requirements to help prevent LSPI, is this correct? So effectively, what would happen if one mixed A40 and C40 oil in an engine?
It probably won't cause any problems, especially if the two oils are the same brand. The only thing I would worry about is if you had the oil tested after running, the mixing of the two oils would likely skew the results.

You just don't want to put an A40 oil in any engine that is direct injected and has forced induction. That's the only thing I would be concerned with.
The following users liked this post:
FASTRKMAN (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:55 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Bill Mitchell; 01-23-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:39 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Just to add more confusion to this thread, a friend who has bought a lot of GT cars has an inside contact with Porsche Exclusive, their engineers say that privately they don't worry about using A40 oil in the 4.0 engine. That won't stand up in a warranty issue, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:29 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

warranty is good but it might be possible that using A40 will harm OPFs and in long term at some point the owner will have to deal with costs associated.
i'm pretty sure that OPF's are not covered by extended warranty....
The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Croc999
warranty is good but it might be possible that using A40 will harm OPFs and in long term at some point the owner will have to deal with costs associated.
That may be true, not sure about that, but the engineers discount all the hoopla over the new oil as so much fluff to meet the EU standards. The GPF's are designed to be self-cleaning, which I think means they heat up enough to burn off the soot that builds up. Anyway, I sold all my A40 oil to my friend and have some Liqui Moly 5W-40 in stock for my first oil change. My car was finished on 2-4 and is probably at Emden now, waiting for the next boat. March delivery it looks like. Can't be soon enough.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
This would be my concern and yet another reason why I will only run C40 spec oil in the Spyder.

That may be true, not sure about that, but the engineers discount all the hoopla over the new oil as so much fluff to meet the EU standards. The GPF's are designed to be self-cleaning, which I think means they heat up enough to burn off the soot that builds up. Anyway, I sold all my A40 oil to my friend and have some Liqui Moly 5W-40 in stock for my first oil change. My car was finished on 2-4 and is probably at Emden now, waiting for the next boat. March delivery it looks like. Can't be soon enough.
Regarding the self cleaning GPF, this is true for the EU models that have the active coating (US and Canada do not), this coating is activated by increasing the exhaust gas temperature and is controlled by computer according to sensors to burn off the soot.

AFAIK this does not happen in North America...

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-08-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Westcoast
This would be my concern and yet another reason why I will only run C40 spec oil in the Spyder.

Regarding the self cleaning GPF, this is true for the EU models that have the active coating (US and Canada do not), this coating is activated by increasing the exhaust gas temperature and is controlled by computer according to sensors to burn off the soot.

AFAIK this does not happen in North America...
That's probably correct, maybe those crazy Germans just drive the crap out of it to heat it up. Anyway, I have the C40 oil, but I'm thinking seriously of removing the matrix from the GPF so that point would be moot.

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion