Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 02:40 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by excelsiorz
Another issue I have: Paying well over $100k for a car (Spyder) that has nasty plastic air intakes and a very plastic looking front spoiler. At this price point they should use a better material more nicely finished. So much of the car looks so right now and Porsche drops the ball with the cheap plastics.

Another bone-head move is you have more interior options with lesser 718s. Having lived with Alcantara interiors I personally prefer leather and would really appreciate the option of selecting a full red/black leather interior.

Last gripe, the fabric door pulls are such a joke. The regular door handles are nicely designed. How something feels to the hand is a critical reflection of quality. Cheap fabric pulls do not have the feel of quality and the Spyder/Cayman is no stripped out race car.
Haha... guess you didn’t get very far with your $10k off MSRP.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:22 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Another issue I have: Paying well over $100k for a car (Spyder) that has nasty plastic air intakes and a very plastic looking front spoiler. At this price point they should use a better material more nicely finished. So much of the car looks so right now and Porsche drops the ball with the cheap plastics.

Another bone-head move is you have more interior options with lesser 718s. Having lived with Alcantara interiors I personally prefer leather and would really appreciate the option of selecting a full red/black leather interior.

Last gripe, the fabric door pulls are such a joke. The regular door handles are nicely designed. How something feels to the hand is a critical reflection of quality. Cheap fabric pulls do not have the feel of quality and the Spyder/Cayman is no stripped out race car.
Lots of complaints! Why would you buy a car you don't like? The market has said they are OK with the vaue proposition and paid accordingly.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:56 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

What other material are you expecting for these specific parts? The only thing I can think of would be carbon fiber. It's not like you're going to put an aluminum front splitter or aluminum trim around a side air intake. At a starting price of $100k, I think the plastic front splitter and side air intake trim is par for the course.

As for the less interior options, this is a GT car so Porsche has made a VERY healthy business model of charging more for less for decades. Yes, you can argue that you're paying more for a more prestigious model in their 718 hierarchy but this is a GT car and not a regular sporty/luxurious variant of the base or S or even GTS variant. You either accept the lesser content and enjoy the GT engineering or you buy the GTS. Keep in mind the lesser interior content/options is replaced with the engineering that took place to make a bespoke GT4/Spyder engine, develop unique front and rear bumpers, develop full underbody paneling, develop a functional rear diffusor, develop rear decklid/convertible for Spyder, reengineer GT3 suspension and brakes for GT4/Spyder, develop functional wing on GT4, and other things that I'm sure I missed.

Some people like the fabric pulls and others find them dumb. Do they save weight? I guess they do. Enough to make a difference on track? Not for you and I. Only people with last names such as Schmacher or Hamilton. Why would Porsche change them then? Maybe just to **** you off or maybe because it's part of their marketing to separate these cars from their regular variants....and to charge more for people that want to change the colors though CXX.

As for your desire to get 10%-12% off, I think you will be laughed out of the dealership but stranger things have happened. I can only say good luck and if you actually find a dealer that is willing to entertain your offer, I would be very skeptical of the condition of the car. MSRP is easy to get and maybe $500 off or just maybe even $1000 off would be a tough catch and I would assume this would only even be entertained on a car that was heavily optioned and orphaned and has been sitting on the dealer lot all through winter with nobody even checking out the car for months.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I would be very skeptical of the condition of the car. MSRP is easy to get and maybe $500 off or just maybe even $1000 off would be a tough catch and I would assume this would only even be entertained on a car that was heavily optioned and orphaned and has been sitting on the dealer lot all through winter with nobody even checking out the car for months.
Your post was excellent but let's not get carried away at the end. A car like you described could easily sell for 10% or more off msrp this winter, maybe even today.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:35 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I definitely prefer the unpainted plastic lip out front given how low the car is. Having had a carbon fibre lip and a painted lip before, my butt doesn't clinch (as much) when I approach a bump or entry that has a steeper angle in the GT4. I know I'll likely scrape, but the replacement cost is only a few hundred vs. over a thousand for a new lip and/or paint. I was always envious of the GT cars having the plastic lip since you could treat it like a consumable rather than a hazard. Even the GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 RS have plastic front lips, not just the GT4/Spyder.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

It sounds like a regular 718 is more your style than the GT4/Spyder. You’d have no trouble finding all the leather wrapped steering columns and fuse boxes your heart desires, and you’ll probably be able to get than 10% discount as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
JAhmed (10-17-2020), OttawaSteve (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:11 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I guarantee they will not bite or even come close to that.

You are talking GM level off MSRP pricing. You can get 10% off MSRP on Corvette's and Camaro's after the initial hype is gone, but that will NEVER happen on a Porsche, let alone a GT Porsche.
That is not true
GT cars can be discounted like other cars if the market is right
the 981 Spyder did not sell well initially as they were shadowed by the GT4 and were not considered by many true GT cars
I got 9.3 % off my ordered car and on top of that free shipping enclosed around 800 dollars
the car was 93xxx and paid 87k
after the hype of the gt4 fizzled , people started focusing on the 981 Spyder and their prices started going up
I sold my car to the same dealer for 88 k 2 years later including the shipping and they sold it for 5 k above sticker
It seems now the opposite is happening and the 718 Spyder is over shadowing the 718 GT4 ...
The following users liked this post:
excelsiorz (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Your post was excellent but let's not get carried away at the end. A car like you described could easily sell for 10% or more off msrp this winter, maybe even today.
Highly unlikely. The cost of floor planning a car right now is basically zero. Dealers aren’t going to dump GT cars for zero profit anytime soon. My guess is, if Covid hammers us over the next few months, you’ll start seeing a little discounting, but not 10 percent. Porsche will just cut production before they let inventory build up at dealers or see pricing weakness. It’s bad for business, which is why Porsche dealers will often wholesale out cars they can’t sell, rather than sell them at a steep discount to a customer.
JAhmed (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,891 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Highly unlikely. The cost of floor planning a car right now is basically zero. Dealers aren’t going to dump GT cars for zero profit anytime soon. My guess is, if Covid hammers us over the next few months, you’ll start seeing a little discounting, but not 10 percent. Porsche will just cut production before they let inventory build up at dealers or see pricing weakness. It’s bad for business, which is why Porsche dealers will often wholesale out cars they can’t sell, rather than sell them at a steep discount to a customer.
Yup. This man knows what he's talkin' about.
n4v4nod (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,891 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
That is not true
GT cars can be discounted like other cars if the market is right
the 981 Spyder did not sell well initially as they were shadowed by the GT4 and were not considered by many true GT cars
I got 9.3 % off my ordered car and on top of that free shipping enclosed around 800 dollars
the car was 93xxx and paid 87k
after the hype of the gt4 fizzled , people started focusing on the 981 Spyder and their prices started going up
I sold my car to the same dealer for 88 k 2 years later including the shipping and they sold it for 5 k above sticker
It seems now the opposite is happening and the 718 Spyder is over shadowing the 718 GT4 ...
That's because the 981 Spyder wasn't a GT car
n4v4nod (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Weird, I tried the search function on their website and found nothing.?.
maybe you were focused on editing your snide comment?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,036 Likes on 555 Posts

Unpainted plastic is what I expect for a GT4.

You can always get your body shop to paint it gloss. Or wrap with CF.

Step up to a GT2RS and you can get carbon fibre fender vents instead of unpainted plastic. Still unpainted plastic on front lip spoiler though.

I am sure you can get red/ black leather thru CXX.

I would agree fabric handle is more like a poser weight saving move. You can save a lot more weight with radio/AC delete.

Last edited by Dyim; 10-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:59 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It sounds like a regular 718 is more your style than the GT4/Spyder. You’d have no trouble finding all the leather wrapped steering columns and fuse boxes your heart desires, and you’ll probably be able to get than 10% discount as well.
I don't understand your logic. What does having an expectation of quality over cheap plastic have to do with choosing a dime a dozen Boxster over a Spyder? Or having leather where I want leather have to do with opting for a 718 over a Spyder? For tens of thousands more one would expect better materials in the Spyder. I guess you are okay with cheap materials? Going from Ferrari and Aston Martin to a Spyder priced out at north of $120k I expect more than cheap plastic and ***** fabric door handles....in a car weighing well over 3000 pounds with just 414 hp.

As another aside, I was in the Lexus LC500 Convertible a few weeks ago. Cost less than the Spyder and yet material quality and fit and finish were light years ahead of the Spyder. Well equipped Spyders are around $120k and at that price point Buyers are expecting better materials....which perhaps explains why the dealer I know still....month after month, has 3 Spyders and 4 Caymen.

This thread has made me realize that, were it not for the manual gearbox issue, I think hands down I'd be exploring the new Z06 Convertible with its Ferrari like 600 hp normally aspirated flat plane crank as it will be the same money as Spyder.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Illusive991
I definitely prefer the unpainted plastic lip out front given how low the car is. Having had a carbon fibre lip and a painted lip before, my butt doesn't clinch (as much) when I approach a bump or entry that has a steeper angle in the GT4. I know I'll likely scrape, but the replacement cost is only a few hundred vs. over a thousand for a new lip and/or paint. I was always envious of the GT cars having the plastic lip since you could treat it like a consumable rather than a hazard. Even the GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 RS have plastic front lips, not just the GT4/Spyder.
I agree to a a point. My V12 Vantage Roadster has a carbon fiber front spoiler and you do have to be careful. On the other hand, Carbon fiber is an option on Ferrari spoilers, Lamoborghinis also, but the standard material does not have the cheap plastic look of the Spyder. A better looking plastic would be appreciated by some I think.
twospyders (10-25-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:08 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Haha... guess you didn’t get very far with your $10k off MSRP.
I have a number of cars so I am in no hurry. Plus, I expect a more powerful version will be released midway next year. I was at the dealer yesterday and saw all the same Spyders there again. Salesman told me sales are slow. Lots of lookers not so many buyers as normal. As they say, good thing come to those who weight and sometimes patience can be a virtue!
DFW01TT (10-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP